PDA

View Full Version : Week 7 CS.com Poll

danefan
October 18th, 2010, 12:18 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/2010/10/cs-fcs-top-25-football-poll-week-7-10182010/ (http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/2010/10/cs-fcs-top-25-football-poll-week-7-10182010/)

2010 CS Top 25 Football Poll

Week 7 | 10/18/2010
1. Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens
2. Appalachian State Mountaineers
3. Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks
4. Jacksonville State Gamecocks
5. William & Mary Tribe
6. Villanova Wildcats
7. Eastern Washington Eagles
8. Wofford Terriers
9. Montana Grizzlies
10. Massachusetts Minutemen
11. James Madison Dukes
12. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
13. Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
14. Montana State Bobcats
15. Western Illinois Leathernecks
16. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats
17. Chattanooga Mocs
18. Liberty Flames
19. Furman Paladins
20. New Hampshire Wildcats
21. South Carolina State Bulldogs
22. Robert Morris Colonials
23. Northern Iowa Panthers
24. Richmond Spiders
25. Georgia Southern Eagles

Next 10 receiving points
Cal Poly Mustangs, Grambling State Tigers, North Dakota State Bison, Sam Houston State Bearkats, Hampton Pirates, Texas State Bobcats, Pennsylvania Quakers, Elon Phoenix, Sacramento State Hornets, Jacksonville Dolphins

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Nice to see a little respect for the Bearkats!

This poll really is not backing the Jacksonville Dolphins at all, are they? Seems CS.com is more 'reactionary' than any of the other polls based on a few other selections...

Grizzaholic
October 18th, 2010, 12:26 PM

This poll really is not backing the Jacksonville Dolphins at all, are they? Seems CS.com is more 'reactionary' than any of the other polls based on a few other selections...

So, opinions are only ok with a few. GOOD JOB MODS.

danefan
October 18th, 2010, 12:30 PM

What's wrong with being reactionary? Isn't the poll supposed to represent the top 25 teams in the country at that point in the season? Would that include a reaction from the previous week's games? I'd say that the other polls are more tied to pre-season rankings and reputation than the CS.com poll.

And for full disclosure, I don't vote in any poll anymore...not enough time to do it justice.

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2010, 12:33 PM
What's wrong with being reactionary? Isn't the poll supposed to represent the top 25 teams in the country at that point in the season? Would that include a reaction from the previous week's games? I'd say that the other polls are more tied to pre-season rankings and reputation than the CS.com poll.

And for full disclosure, I don't vote in any poll anymore...not enough time to do it justice.

I think a few schools swing significantly week-to-week in CS.com, more so than other polls. It is surprising because CS.com starts late as means to properly build their top 25 instead of leaning too much on preseason info, hype, etc.

May have more to do with a smaller voting electorate than all the polls sans FCS Coaches, not sure. If it is smaller - and no one provides numbers - it would explain the significant swings.

danefan
October 18th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I think a few schools swing significantly week-to-week in CS.com, more so than other polls. It is surprising because CS.com starts late as means to properly build their top 25 instead of leaning too much on preseason info, hype, etc.

May have more to do with a smaller voting electorate than all the polls sans FCS Coaches, not sure. If it is smaller - and no one provides numbers - it would explain the significant swings.

Part of the reason could be the number of voters, which I'm not privy to. It could also be because there is a pretty open discussion each week where people's votes are disected. I also think its a product of the attempt to rank the teams from week-to-week and the prevailing philosophy appears to be that this week's ranking should not at all be reliant on last week's ranking. I don't know if a lot of people follow the voting methodology of dropping a team 2 spots for a loss, and raising them 4 for a win, etc.... If a team looks like a Top 15 team one week and looks terrible the next, then the question is were they really a Top 15 team last week or were they overrated? And if they're overrated why should you be locked into your previous week's "mistake"?

aceinthehole
October 18th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Not bad, but I have to ask - where is Colgate and why is both BCU and SCSU in the top 25?

WileECoyote06
October 18th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Not bad, but I have to ask - where is Colgate and why is both BCU and SCSU in the top 25?

Because SCSU was a top ten team in last week's poll and BCU was right outside of their top 25 at 28. SCSU lost 11 spots, and BCU gained 12. Just about even.

401ks
October 18th, 2010, 01:00 PM

And your votes would be less knowledgeable in what way?

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Because SCSU was a top ten team in last week's poll and BCU was right outside of their top 25 at 28. SCSU lost 11 spots, and BCU gained 12. Just about even.

That's what confuses me greatly... great example of one of the VERY dramatic swings!

danefan
October 18th, 2010, 01:54 PM
And your votes would be less knowledgeable in what way?

I honestly don't even have the time to follow who won and lost across the country. Shoot - I honestly don't even know right now what all the results of the NEC games were. Sure I can look it up easily, but that takes time and more importantly, effort, two things which I just don't have this season.

TheValleyRaider
October 18th, 2010, 11:08 PM

Eh, with a small voter base (and that's just a guess, but a pretty good one I think), Colgate isn't going to garner too much respect for consecutive blowouts over Georgetown/Princeton/Cornell. The Furman blowout and general malaise of the PL weighs heavily on their minds, and if I remember much of the crowd that went over to CS.com, not too much in the way of PL support xtwocentsx

401ks
October 19th, 2010, 12:15 AM
I honestly don't even have the time to follow who won and lost across the country. Shoot - I honestly don't even know right now what all the results of the NEC games were. Sure I can look it up easily, but that takes time and more importantly, effort, two things which I just don't have this season.

Thanks for the clarification, although (as you may well have suspected) my question was rhetorical and somewhat facetious.

AxeEmJacks
October 19th, 2010, 12:22 AM

Very little would still be a stretch.

siuham
October 19th, 2010, 02:03 AM
This poll really is not backing the Jacksonville Dolphins at all, are they?

When the best team you've beaten is Old Dominion...

Neverminding your constant attempts to just belittle CS's poll, you take issue with SC State being 21 and B-C being 16. Could you tell me what they are in AGS? Oh, yeah, 21 and 17. SC State was 10 the previous week in both polls, and B-C just outside in both polls. What's the problem again? Top 10 are the exact same, swapping SFA/JSU.

There is little to no difference between the two polls, but you take exception to CS's. What realistic reason do you have for that?

aceinthehole
October 19th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Eh, with a small voter base (and that's just a guess, but a pretty good one I think), Colgate isn't going to garner too much respect for consecutive blowouts over Georgetown/Princeton/Cornell. The Furman blowout and general malaise of the PL weighs heavily on their minds, and if I remember much of the crowd that went over to CS.com, not too much in the way of PL support xtwocentsx

I understand Colgate still has a lot to prove based on their non-conf results and an especially weak PL this year, but then look at their resume vs BCU and SCSU and I don't see too much of difference. IMO, they should all be regarded similarly, that's all.

Col Hogan
October 19th, 2010, 08:04 AM
xlmaox

TheValleyRaider
October 19th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I understand Colgate still has a lot to prove based on their non-conf results and an especially weak PL this year, but then look at their resume vs BCU and SCSU and I don't see too much of difference. IMO, they should all be regarded similarly, that's all.

I don't disagree, though with CS.com in particular, I'm not terribly surprised

The nice thing about FCS is I can be pretty zen about the polls. When you follow an FBS program (and one fighting for national respect at that), the difference is truly amazing xlolx

Bogus Megapardus
October 19th, 2010, 09:06 AM
I just keep wondering, who votes on this stuff? I know that I would be completely unqualified to vote on anything because I don't see any games from the OVC, SWAC, or Missouri Valley, etc. so it certainly wouldn't be fair for me to evaluate them. I attend a fair number of games, but the only games I go to are in the northeast.

Should one assume that that voters participating in fan polls such as this watch and analyze games from the Patriot, Ivy and NEC? Do these people get game film or something? Or are they just looking at scores and making it up?

Seriously - I'd like to know.

danefan
October 19th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the clarification, although (as you may well have suspected) my question was rhetorical and somewhat facetious.

Haha. I actually read your statement completely literally. Its been a long couple weeks around here....xlolxxlolx

So to answer your question properly - my votes would still be worthless....xlolx

danefan
October 19th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I just keep wondering, who votes on this stuff? I know that I would be completely unqualified to vote on anything because I don't see any games from the OVC, SWAC, or Missouri Valley, etc. so it certainly wouldn't be fair for me to evaluate them. I attend a fair number of games, but the only games I go to are in the northeast.

Should one assume that that voters participating in fan polls such as this watch and analyze games from the Patriot, Ivy and NEC? Do these people get game film or something? Or are they just looking at scores and making it up?

Seriously - I'd like to know.

Its just a fan poll so I doubt anyone is really analyzing games. Same goes for the AGS poll. People just following for fun and treat the polls much like fantasy football - something to keep them in the games they otherwise wouldn't be interested in.

In fact I'd say that's the case for all polls at the FCS level - fan, media and coaches.