View Full Version : Week 8 in the MEAT GRINDER aka MVFC

DOME
October 18th, 2010, 08:18 AM
WIU @ MoSt 2:00pm
YSU @ SDSU 3:00pm
ISUb @ NDSU 4:00pm
ISUr @ UNI 5:05pm

I like Terry Allen at home.

I think SDSU has turned a corner and gained some confidence.

I think the Trees are going to travel well and get a W. (Had them in my 25 last week but had a hungover sunday brainfart and forgot them this week...sorry)

And I like UNI only having one turnover on the road this past week and continuing to hold onto the ball a little better this week. UNI by two scores on Homecoming.

darell1976
October 18th, 2010, 08:24 AM
WIU
SDSU
NDSU
UNI

Big Al
October 18th, 2010, 08:42 AM
WIU @ MoS
YSU @ SDSU
ISUb @ NDSU
ISUr @ UNI

I'm picking against the Trees because NDSU will be the best defense they've seen since WIU but maybe these last three games are what the offense has needed to learn how to put up some points? I'm not convinced NDSU knows how to come from behind, so if (big IF) the Sycs can get up early, I think they can take the wind ouf of the Bison's sails. Good luck, Trees, you're gonna need it to get the W.

jacksfan29
October 18th, 2010, 09:03 AM
WIU @ MoSt - WIU, Barr could have a record setting day against the MoSt defense
YSU @ SDSU - SDSU, the SDSU offense seems to have gained the confidence they needed and Minnett may go for 200; besides it is Hobo Day and CAS will be rocking
ISUb @ NDSU - ISUb, can't believe I'm doing this but I believe in the Trees, plus I think Bohl is on his way out
ISUr @ UNI - UNI, no explanation necessary

Sycamore51
October 18th, 2010, 09:27 AM
WIU @ MoSt (WIU is best team in the league)
YSU @ SDSU (Home team in this even match)
Sycamores @ NDSU (ISU fan, but we're 0-2 on the road, so very worried)
Ill St @ UNI (UNI should win big at home)

ST_Lawson
October 18th, 2010, 09:32 AM
I feel like it's getting to the point where I can start thinking about matchups in terms of common opposing teams.

WIU @ MoSt - I'm not sure what to think about MoSt. I think they've show that they're a tough team that will hang on to the last second (see both ISU OT losses), and they beat a YSU team that just barely lost to WIU. I still like our chances, especially if we can get our kicking game in order. WIU in a close one, possibly OT.

YSU @ SDSU - YSU narrowly lost at WIU. WIU narrowly lost at SDSU. I think that both teams are fairly evenly matched, so in this case, the home team gets a slight advantage. Add to it that it's SDSU's Homecoming/Hobo Day (I think that's right, correct me if I'm wrong SDSU fans), and I think SDSU will come away with the win on this one, by about 7 points.

ISUb @ NDSU - I think ISUb is a much better team that a lot of people thought, especially on the offensive side of the ball (I'm glad WIU played them early, before they got all good and confident). But I also think that NDSU is a better team that what they showed against ISUr last week. Another close one, but I think since it's at Fargo, and there should be a good crowd an hand for the Harvest Bowl festivities, that NDSU will win this one.

ISUr @ UNI - I think that now is the time when we see UNI really start to step up and make the MVFC a two-horse race. Just a feeling. I think they're really going to "show up" this week at home, on homecoming. ISUr has been up and down, beating the Dakotas, losing to SIU and ISUb. I think it'll be a "down" game for ISUr, and a convincing win for UNI.

It's looking more and more like the conference championship is going to be decided in Macomb on November 20th (too bad all the students will have gone home for Thanksgiving by then).

leatherneck177
October 18th, 2010, 09:52 AM
WIU @ MoSt - I almost picked the Bears on this one. Our defense has shown that they can not stop the run and our offense seems to be sputtering a bit. Even so, I say Necks by 4.
YSU @ SDSU - Penguins come out flat after two tough losses in the final minute of the game. Jacks by 18.
ISUb @ NDSU - Bison come out strong, win by 10.
ISUr @ UNI - Panthers in a very close one, win by 7.

MSUDuo
October 18th, 2010, 09:59 AM
I swear, if you pick MSU then you have lost your marbles. They won't win another game. Kinda sad considering where our coach said we were going to be after last season finished. May not be coach for much longer...

WIU @ MoSt
YSU @ SDSU
ISUb @ NDSU
ISUr @ UNI

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 18th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Is this correct?

ISUb = Indiana State (why not use InSU to help folks in other parts of the country?)
ISUr = Illinois State (similarly IlSU or ILSU?)

DOME
October 18th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Is this correct?

ISUb = Indiana State (why not use InSU to help folks in other parts of the country?)

I don't make the names I just call them what everyone else does. UNI does play three different ISU's this year in both football and basketball. Gets confusing.

SalukiJim
October 18th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Is this correct?

You are correct sir! (channeling the late Ed Mc Mahon). I guess we just use the color (b = blue, r= red) but you are correct in thinking there's a better way. But the ILSU thing will surely start another abbreviation-flame-war like the MSU fan started a few threads ago...xrotatehx

Sycamore51
October 18th, 2010, 10:26 AM
We see IND ST, INST, IN State, ISUb, Sycs, and a bunch of other things. I do the Ill st and In st myself to keep it seperate.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 18th, 2010, 11:06 AM
You are correct sir! (channeling the late Ed Mc Mahon). I guess we just use the color (b = blue, r= red) but you are correct in thinking there's a better way. But the ILSU thing will surely start another abbreviation-flame-war like the MSU fan started a few threads ago...xrotatehx

Guess I missed that flame fest! Once one starts I usually stop opening that thread anyway. xnodx xlolx

SalukiJim
October 18th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Guess I missed that flame fest! Once one starts I usually stop opening that thread anyway. xnodx xlolx

In the old days, Missouri State was called Southwest Missouri, or SMS. Some Mo State fan was insisting on being called MSU and everyone piled on, saying Michigan State is not in FCS, Montana St is in the Big Sky, etc. Entertaining. For about a minute!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 18th, 2010, 01:47 PM
In the old days, Missouri State was called Southwest Missouri, or SMS. Some Mo State fan was insisting on being called MSU and everyone piled on, saying Michigan State is not in FCS, Montana St is in the Big Sky, etc. Entertaining. For about a minute!

Thanks!

Within the MVFC world, MSU for sure, but once you go national then MSU gets fuzzy. Kind of like UNC in the Big Sky versus nationally.

Indianastate45
October 18th, 2010, 04:23 PM
WIU (Playing well and at home)
TREES (a team on a mission aparently a close win)
SDSU (close game)
UNI (Panthers stomp ISU-R)

ST_Lawson
October 18th, 2010, 04:28 PM
WIU (Playing well and at home)
...)
Quick correction:
Playing well - yes
at home - nope, at Springfield, MO next Saturday, back home the following week for ILSU.

sycamorefanboy
October 18th, 2010, 05:12 PM
WIU @ MoSt 2:00pm
YSU @ SDSU 3:00pm
ISUb @ NDSU 4:00pm
ISUr @ UNI 5:05pm

I like Terry Allen at home.

I think SDSU has turned a corner and gained some confidence.

I think the Trees are going to travel well and get a W. (Had them in my 25 last week but had a hungover sunday brainfart and forgot them this week...sorry)

And I like UNI only having one turnover on the road this past week and continuing to hold onto the ball a little better this week. UNI by two scores on Homecoming.

msu
ysu
sycamores in a tight one
uni

MplsBison
October 18th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Mizzou St - are you kidding me? This is one is a guaranteed lock - the league is way down this year, no way can our "best" team not lose on the road to one of the "bad" teams
Youngstown St - see above, it's a fake you out league - just when a team seems to have figured it out, they lose
NDSU - this is a vote against In St more than anything, I don't really believe NDSU has will to beat anyone left on the schedule
IL St - see YSU@SDSU

Indianastate45
October 18th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Mizzou St - are you kidding me? This is one is a guaranteed lock - the league is way down this year, no way can our "best" team not lose on the road to one of the "bad" teams
Youngstown St - see above, it's a fake you out league - just when a team seems to have figured it out, they lose
NDSU - this is a vote against In St more than anything, I don't really believe NDSU has will to beat anyone left on the schedule
IL St - see YSU@SDSU

Soooooo... Does this mean you "really" think NDSU will lose this week...but your voting for the Bison anyway? That's what it looks like to me....I think hel* just froze over.

BearsCountry
October 18th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I hope the Trees pull one out this week.

Iwuvdatrees
October 18th, 2010, 10:05 PM
lol at MPLSBison...
Missouri State- I just see TA turning it around there...the defense has been a problem but a solvable one!
YSU- too much talent not to win a few more games...
ISU Blue- Trees are on a roll and finally this team can stretch a defense...and if you look at the stats this Bison D has had recent struggles against the run look for Sycamore senior Darrius Gates and Super freshman Shakir Bell to play a big role. Once again to bison fans, I see no way that either team runs away with this game it will be decided in the final two possessions. Really like the team btw but your coach worries me...too many penalties and boneheaded turnovers...
I have no idea with ISU red and UNI...should be a fun game to watch tho when ISU red faces UNI's defense!

TheBisonator
October 18th, 2010, 10:29 PM
NDSU beats InSU. There's no doubt in my mind.

I was on the Bison team for three years, from 2003-2005. So I know the mindset of this program. I'm familiar with most of the coaches, and I know how that team is run. I know exactly how they will come out for this game. They are probably going to run the gauntlet for practices this week. The Bison are pissed and want to win. I know these players are sick and tired of being the MVFC's punching bag. I will eat my share of crow on Sunday if this doesn't happen, but I have never been more confident of a Bison win in the past few years as I am of this weekend's game.

I know InSU is a better team, and certainly improving. I think they may even compete for the conference title next year. Nothing personal against Sycamore fans on here from me.

I just think the Bison know what is at stake, and they know what has to be done.

Iwuvdatrees
October 18th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Hey Bisonator,
You don't have to worry about us getting on ya lol...I hope it's a great game I will be there and I am seriousely looking forward to a great game...

TheBisonator
October 18th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Hey Bisonator,
You don't have to worry about us getting on ya lol...I hope it's a great game I will be there and I am seriousely looking forward to a great game...

Don't get me wrong, I think the Trees will put out a better performance than the last 2 years, and it still may only be a two score game. I just think the Bison will play a kind of game that would allow them to win 48-7 against a cupcake, but against an improved InSU team, it will end up something like 35-21.

I have respect for this year's InSU team. I think you guys have basically upgraded yourselves to being as good as just about everybody else in the conference. And believe me, I don't think the top is much different from the bottom in the MVFC.

TheBisonator
October 18th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Speaking of predictions, I'll offer mine:

Western Illinois at Missouri State
Youngstown State at South Dakota State
Indiana State at North Dakota State
Illinois State at Northern Iowa

Imagine the standings if that happens...

Western Illinois 3-2
Illinois State 3-3
Northern Iowa 2-2
Southern Illinois 2-2
Missouri State 2-2
Indiana State 2-2
North Dakota State 2-3
South Dakota State 2-3
Youngstown State 2-3

Wanna talk about a logjam??

Redbird Ray
October 19th, 2010, 07:04 AM
REDBIRDS - I think the winner of this game gets at least a share of the MVFC crown. Birds know what's at stake now, you kids on here can keep doubting, that's fine.

BISON - The trees are improved, but let's see them do it on the road.

NECKS - Close game, but WIU has shown they can play well away from Macomb this year. WIU's defense can hold MSU in check.

BUNNIES - Toss up, I'll take the bunnies on Hobo Day.

Iwuvdatrees
October 19th, 2010, 10:12 AM
all four of these games can go either way...it's a great time to be a MVC fan!

MplsBison
October 19th, 2010, 10:36 AM
all four of these games can go either way...it's a great time to be a MVC fan!

Except the part where the MVFC gets two teams into the (expanded) playoffs, if they're lucky, and both teams lose the first round game.

xcoffeex

MplsBison
October 19th, 2010, 10:38 AM

Western Illinois 3-2
Illinois State 3-3
Northern Iowa 2-2
Southern Illinois 2-2
Missouri State 2-2
Indiana State 2-2
North Dakota State 2-3
South Dakota State 2-3
Youngstown State 2-3

I'm being dead serious here: I want the rest of the MVFC games to play-out such that it's as close as possible to all teams ending up 4-4 at the end of the season. Then the MVFC will get one team in the playoffs and be blown out in the first round to an OVC or Big Sky team.

That's what the MVFC deserves this year, from what I've seen so far.

Iwuvdatrees
October 19th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Is the conference completely impeccable? no...But are there great games every week?? yes...and once all these teams mature, I think this may very well be the best conference in the nation...

Sycamore51
October 19th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I really think the MVFC is the ACC of FCS. A lot of once great programs that beat each other up too much. WIU, YSU, SIU, UNI are a lot like Miami, FSU, Va Tech, Clemson, and BC. Not bad, but maybe not what they once were. You look at the ACC and you see the same thing. Just my thoughts.

UNIFanSince1983
October 19th, 2010, 11:50 AM

Western Illinois 3-2
Illinois State 3-3
Northern Iowa 2-2
Southern Illinois 2-2
Missouri State 2-2
Indiana State 2-2
North Dakota State 2-3
South Dakota State 2-3
Youngstown State 2-3

I have a question. If UNI wins as you predicted the standings will not be as you predicted. We would be 3-1, and a head of everyone. I am not saying there won't be a logjam just saying if you are basing your standings off of your predictions they are a little off. From what I can tell all the other ones would be correct you just gave both IlSU and UNI losses for that game. Which with the way both teams have played this year neither team may deserve to win this game, but I guarantee one of them will ;)

Gil Dobie
October 19th, 2010, 12:08 PM
WIU @ MoSt
YSU @ SDSU
ISUb @ NDSU
ISUr @ UNI

MplsBison
October 19th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I really think the MVFC is the ACC of FCS. A lot of once great programs that beat each other up too much. WIU, YSU, SIU, UNI are a lot like Miami, FSU, Va Tech, Clemson, and BC. Not bad, but maybe not what they once were. You look at the ACC and you see the same thing. Just my thoughts.

I agree the teams physically beat each other up, but usually there are at least a couple teams that find a way to win most if not all of their conference games. Usually it's been UNI and SIU...but this year, all the teams in the conference have found ways to lose conference games.

RabidRabbit
October 19th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Western Illinois - WIU goes nuts on Mo St Bears
SDSU -Jacks against the wall, focused, for the Hobo Day W
InSU - This game gets Bohl fired (at end of season), Bison O woes continue
UNI - Still the inside track to the AQ

Jacked_Rabbit
October 19th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Western Illinois by 10 in a high scoring affair over Missouri St.... First one to 45 wins.
South Dakota St. by 9 in a slugfest over Youngstown.... Hobo Day magic will be in the air.
North Dakota St. by 7 over Indiana St.... Bison slow Trees' offensive attack in the Fargo Dome.
Northern Iowa by 4 over Illinois St.... Redbirds give Panthers a scare and keep things close.

gjw007
October 19th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I'm being dead serious here: I want the rest of the MVFC games to play-out such that it's as close as possible to all teams ending up 4-4 at the end of the season. Then the MVFC will get one team in the playoffs and be blown out in the first round to an OVC or Big Sky team.

That's what the MVFC deserves this year, from what I've seen so far.

Wow! I might want everybody to be competitive and let the standings fall where they fall but to want a conference to be balanced so that it looks bad. Unbelievable!

Redbird Ray
October 19th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Everyone needs to calm the hell down. The conference will sort itself out over the next few weeks and the MVFC will still have AT LEAST 2 teams in the playoffs. Still lots of football to be played. xcoffeex

MplsBison
October 19th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Everyone needs to calm the hell down. The conference will sort itself out over the next few weeks and the MVFC will still have AT LEAST 2 teams in the playoffs. Still lots of football to be played. xcoffeex

I've been spewing a lot of doom and gloom lately - but I will admit there is still time (albeit very short) for 4 solid MVFC teams to rise to the top. But I'm still betting on a mostly average conference with at best 2 teams slightly ahead, based on what I've seen so far.

purplejacks
October 19th, 2010, 10:53 PM
WIU
SDSU
NDSU
UNI

MO STATE
SD
ND
ISU

Sycamore51
October 20th, 2010, 06:43 AM

I agree, I think there will be 3 teams in the playoffs probably, but two at the least. I don't think my trees will be there though, 2 non D1 teams kills you in this situation.

MplsBison
October 20th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I agree, I think there will be 3 teams in the playoffs probably, but two at the least. I don't think my trees will be there though, 2 non D1 teams kills you in this situation.

So now that InSU is obviously a world beater - are they going to schedule a full DI slate?

Iwuvdatrees
October 20th, 2010, 08:29 AM
So Bison are you admitting that the trees need to stay in the conference?

Sycamore51
October 20th, 2010, 08:37 AM
So now that InSU is obviously a world beater - are they going to schedule a full DI slate?

Next year's schedule has 2 FBS schools (penn st. and WKU) and Butler as our out of conference games, so the answer is yes.

Professor Chaos
October 21st, 2010, 01:43 PM
Western Illinois @ Missouri State - Terry Allen may be on the brink of losing his team at MSU.
Youngstown State @ South Dakota State - YSU is inconsistent so they could surprise here but SDSU should win.
Indiana State @ North Dakota State - More of a homer pick than anything else. Two teams going in opposite directions right now. NDSU needs to get Gratzek back on the D-Line, run defense has been a shell of itself without him.
Illinois State @ Northern Iowa - Panthers at home and I think they're the better team anyway.

birdsflyhigh
October 21st, 2010, 03:18 PM
The second half of the MVFC kicks in now, so let's see which teams really want it.
Here goes:

MSU Bears pull out a high scoring shocker over WIU's Necks at Plaster Field
SDSU Jacks celebrate Hobo Day with a tight one at home over YSU's Guins
NDSU Bison gets a much needed home W, but the InST Sycs throw a scare
ISU Birds get a HUGE roadie and spoil the UNI Cat homecoming in a close one

Man, life in the MVFC is definitely rolling the dice these days, but it does keep ALL the school's fans involved xsmileyclapx

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 22nd, 2010, 05:05 PM
Missouri State -- MSU at home, finally play like they should.
YSU -- Good game but guins get the win
NDSU -- Bison finally get their heads out of their a**es!!
ISU -- Gut feeling on this one.

GO BISON

MSUDuo
October 23rd, 2010, 04:15 PM
Well, MO State won't go away. Just made things even more complicated by knocking off WIU.

Iwuvdatrees
October 23rd, 2010, 04:30 PM
Trees lead Bison at half 12-7 led by fouch and the Sycamore defense who forced a fumble in the endzone that ended up being a safety...

MplsBison
October 23rd, 2010, 06:30 PM
What did I tell you, the "best" team in the MVFC loses to one of the "worst" teams in the conference :http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=302962623

SDSU does beat YSU: http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=302962571

And...sorry InSU..not this year: http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=302962449

Looks like UNI is beating IlSU at the moment: http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=302962460

So what does this do to the standings? Looks like UNI is starting to stand out a little bit.

Will MVFC get a 2nd team in the playoffs? xsmhx

FargoBison
October 23rd, 2010, 07:07 PM
All games final, here are the MVFC standings....

Northern Iowa: 3-1
South Dakota St: 3-2
Western Illinois: 3-2
Indiana St: 2-2
Southern Illinois: 2-2
Missouri St: 2-2
Illinois St: 3-3
North Dakota St: 2-3
Youngstown St: 1-4

TheBisonator
October 23rd, 2010, 08:57 PM
All games final, here are the MVFC standings....

Northern Iowa: 3-1
South Dakota St: 3-2
Western Illinois: 3-2
Indiana St: 2-2
Southern Illinois: 2-2
Missouri St: 2-2
Illinois St: 3-3
North Dakota St: 2-3
Youngstown St: 1-4

I got three out of four right. The MVFC is truly a clusterfnck right now.

nmatsen
October 24th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I got three out of four right. The MVFC is truly a clusterfnck right now.

I don't know, switch out WIU with SIU, Youngstown with InSU, and with UNI at the top it looks just about like every other yearxnodx

Did people really think that UNI, a team who has more titles in this conference than any others combined, would finish 4th? Come on man. (in my best Chris Carter voice)

Jacked_Rabbit
October 24th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I don't know, switch out WIU with SIU, Youngstown with InSU, and with UNI at the top it looks just about like every other yearxnodx

Did people really think that UNI, a team who has more titles in this conference than any others combined, would finish 4th? Come on man. (in my best Chris Carter voice)

Or did people think that a team like SDSU, that had a brutal schedule to start the season, wouldn't bounce back and rattle off a few victories in a row?!? xnodx

MplsBison
October 24th, 2010, 05:23 PM

Next week UNI @ YSU will be interesting. Is YSU going to pack it up for the year or are they going to play tough at home and be pissed after losing 4 straight and knock off the "best" team in the MVFC?

I know I'll be rooting for the 'Guins! xnodx

Sycamore51
October 25th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I think I'm just flipping a quarter on games for the rest of the year. Who knows what's going to happen.

Big Al
October 25th, 2010, 08:34 AM
WIU @ MoS
YSU @ SDSU
ISUb @ NDSU
ISUr @ UNI

No. Yes. Yes. Yes.

SIU should be thankful they played UNI early. NDSU beat the Trees but the Sycs had 'em worried at the half -- watch this team in a year! SDSU is bouncing back from their murderous early schedule. Might TA stay on another year at MSU? He has the offense, now he just needs a healthy defense.