PDA

View Full Version : Southland Conference - Week Eight Predictions

TexasTerror
October 17th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Welcome to our annual Southland Conference prediction thread. I will not be keeping track of everyone's results week to week, so you are more than welcome to do your part in helping out! For purposes of Lamar's entrance into the league in 2011, we'll also be including them in our predictions!

Week Eight Game Listing
Stephen F. Austin vs Sam Houston State (Reliant Stadium)
Northwestern State at Texas State-San Marcos
Central Arkansas at Nicholls
McNeese State at Southeastern La.

Week Eight TT's Predictions & Quick Analysis
Stephen F. Austin vs Sam Houston State (Reliant Stadium) - Is it Battle of the Piney Woods' week already? Love it! Sam Houston State improves with each passing week and it's going to take two things to happen for SHSU to win. It is going to take Bell playing a flawless game and the Bearkats coming up with at least one big special teams play. Will they do it? Probably not, but hell - we've seen higher ranked teams fall in this rivalry game all the time. Throw out the records, throw out the crowd (which will be 60/40 SHSU most likely) and let's see a big win for SAM HOUSTON STATE.

Northwestern State at Texas State-San Marcos - The Bobcats are on their homefield and the Demons have had a week off. While the win over Nicholls did not occur and probably not the result that TXST was hoping for - the crowd should be something unique for NWST because the WAC is "reportedly" in town and it is Homecoming. TEXAS STATE-SAN MARCOS

Central Arkansas at Nicholls - The Bears have not had the most pleasant start to conference play with an 0-2 mark. Nicholls has not either, but they have come along. Playing in Thibodaux is not fun for anyone, but UCA played somewhat competitive against SFA on the road. CENTRAL ARKANSAS

McNeese State at Southeastern La. - The Cowboys looked 'super tough' against LSU and while the Tigers are always giving their wrath on Les Miles, something does need to be said about McNeese's result. The Lions looked awful against SHSU and were shell-shocked from the start. McNeese may need a late field goal to win, but going with the McNEESE STATE Cowboys.

TT's Predictions All-Time Results
2007 Record: 46-14 (24-4 SLC)
2008 Record: 40-22 (9-18 SLC)
2009 Record: 41-22 (16-12 SLC)
2010 Record: 33-8 (6-2 SLC)
Total: 160-66 (55-36 SLC)

houtexan
October 17th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Stephen F. Austin vs Sam Houston State (Reliant Stadium) - going with SHSU over the Lumberjacks at SFA. After following Sam this year, they've consistently improved.
Northwestern State at Texas State-San Marcos - this may actually be a 'tossup' and Texas State may just be that bad after losses to SeLa and Nicholls, but going with the home team - Texas State
Central Arkansas at Nicholls

GeauxLions94
October 17th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Stephen F. Austin vs Sam Houston State (Reliant Stadium) - Was very impressed with Sam Houston State and the job they did on Southeastern (I'll talk about them later) ... SFA keeps rolling along and that shouldn't change this week as the old rivals square off in the Battle of the Piney Woods ... SFA

Northwestern State at Texas State - It's homecoming in San Marcos, and Texas State needs a win in the worst way ... BDP and the Demons are coming off a road win two weeks ago at Central Arkansas and Paul Harris will be tough for Texas State to defend ... UPSET ALERT! NORTHWESTERN STATE

Central Arkansas at Nicholls - Nicholls comes off an impressive win in San Marcos while UCA fell at SFA ... Thibodaux is a tough place to play, but the Bears should squeak by with a late score ... CENTRAL ARKANSAS

McNeese State at Southeastern La. - McNeese State played hard in loss at LSU, but were down to Andre Anderson at running back ... Champlain Babin looks like he'll be back for the SLU game ... Lions played like world beaters in win over Texas State, but were completely manhandled at the line of scrimmage by young Sam Houston State squad ... I've picked SLU to win three times this season and have lost twice (Lamar and SHSU) ... hope I'm wrong, but go with .... MCNEESE STATE

TexasTerror
October 17th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Northwestern State at Texas State - It's homecoming in San Marcos, and Texas State needs a win in the worst way ... BDP and the Demons are coming off a road win two weeks ago at Central Arkansas and Paul Harris will be tough for Texas State to defend ... UPSET ALERT! NORTHWESTERN STATE

I can only imagine what kind of reaction that would cause in San Marcos if the Demons were to go in there and spoil Homecoming for the Bobcats. There might be people jumping into the river without a floating device...

GrabbAnAxe
October 17th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I haven't done one of these, but since it's BOTW week, I'll throw my two cents in the ring.

Stephen F. Austin vs Sam Houston State (Reliant Stadium) - The Lumberjacks are the class of the 2010 season in the SLC, but the Kats are the 2010 surprise. The 'Jacks have proven they can score in numerous ways and their offense is as explosive as any in the country. The Kats have proven they can rush the ball, but have yet to need to prove that they can throw it. SFA has the defense to make them throw the ball, and the pass rush and secondary to stop it. Sorry Kats, but it's time for a reality check -- STEPHEN F. AUSTIN -- by at least three TDs.

Northwestern State at Texas State - One team reeling after consecutive losses, including what I'm sure they consider to be an embarrassing loss in San Marcos in this most recent game. One team that a bye week to celebrate its first D-1 win since 2008 and should hit the road still on a high. In the end, it's two teams going in opposite directions. Demons make it two in a row and do their best to spoil TXST's WAC bid -- NORTHWESTERN STATE -- by 6.

Central Arkansas at Nicholls - The Colonels return home after a big upset in thrilling fashion in San Marcos, while the Bears are reeling after consecutive losses. UCA played better than the score indicates against SFA and the pass defense will look better against Nicholls, because it is one of the best in the SLC. Sorry Colonels, enjoy this week because UCA scratches the win ledger this week in Thibodaux -- CENTRAL ARKANSAS -- by 14.

McNeese State at Southeastern La. - Doesn't matter to me what McNeese looked like before conference started, they were one first down away from upsetting SFA at home and played very well at LSU behind a freshman starting QB and just one RB after losing their top two last week. Southeastern's win two weeks ago over TXST has been negated by what happened to both the Cats and Lions last week, and they drop to 1-2 this week as the Cowboys prepare to put the pressure on SFA for another SLC crown -- McNEESE STATE -- by 19.

katstrapper
October 17th, 2010, 08:05 PM
SFA v SHSU.... Kats just ran for over 200yds on the #1 run defense against SE Louisiana. Special Teams will be the difference in this game. Kats "special forces" will be on display on Saturday... Sam Houston by a FG.

UCA v Nicholls St.. UCA is still reeling after a loss to NW St and then last week to SFA. Nicholls St is coming off of a BIG road win in San Marcos and should keep it going at home against the Bears....Nicholls St.

NW State v Texas State... Question in this game is which Bobcat team is going to show up. However, Tx State defense has given up 49 and 48 points in back to back games. Not sure Demons have enough to pull off this upset... Texas State

McNeese St v SE Louisiana... SE LA is another team that is tough to figure out. They go on the road and beat the Bobcats pretty handily then go to Huntsville and get punched in the mouth by the Bearkats by 50. McNeese held their own against LSU and should be ready to go in this game... McNeese St.

fcs'sbest
October 17th, 2010, 08:20 PM
SFA v SHSU.... Kats just ran for over 200yds on the #1 run defense against SE Louisiana. Special Teams will be the difference in this game. Kats "special forces" will be on display on Saturday... Sam Houston by a FG.

UCA v Nicholls St.. UCA is still reeling after a loss to NW St and then last week to SFA. Nicholls St is coming off of a BIG road win in San Marcos and should keep it going at home against the Bears....Nicholls St.

NW State v Texas State... Question in this game is which Bobcat team is going to show up. However, Tx State defense has given up 49 and 48 points in back to back games. Not sure Demons have enough to pull off this upset... Texas State

McNeese St v SE Louisiana... SE LA is another team that is tough to figure out. They go on the road and beat the Bobcats pretty handily then go to Huntsville and get punched in the mouth by the Bearkats by 50. McNeese held their own against LSU and should be ready to go in this game... McNeese St.

How may points has SAM scored on special teams this year? Just wondering not trying to start anything, but I'm amost positive SFA has more. Excluding FG's

GrabbAnAxe
October 17th, 2010, 08:28 PM
The 'Jacks have returned a kickoff for TD and a punt for a TD (both in the same game), and has blocked four kicks this season with two blocked punts going for scores. I know the Kats had some success with I believe a blocked punt for a score this last game, but I haven't looked deep enough to be able to tell you how much more success they've had with special teams. Of course, to be fair, the 'Jacks have had their fair share of trouble with kicking themselves. Logan Barrett was just 3 of 7 on FG before getting hurt at McNeese and now Tommy Henshaw is doing the kicking, and only had one FG try in his college debut against UCA. Barrett had two FGs blocked and I believe two PATs blocked as well.

McNeese75
October 17th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Stephen F. Austin vs Sam Houston State (Reliant Stadium) - SHSU is moving the ball on the ground and I think the Jack "D" will show up and I'll give the edge to the Sr QB.
Northwestern State at Texas State-San Marcos - This may be a tossup if the Demons that went to Ark show up.
Central Arkansas at Nicholls - Who knows after last week in SM
McNeese State at Southeastern La. - This is a trap game for the Cowboys but hopefully they will get focused right away and prepare properly.

2010 Results

28-14

lionsrking2
October 17th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Stephen F. Austin vs Sam Houston State (Reliant Stadium) - SHSU is moving the ball on the ground and I think the Jack "D" will show up and I'll give the edge to the Sr QB.
Northwestern State at Texas State-San Marcos - This may be a tossup if the Demons that went to Ark show up.
Central Arkansas at Nicholls - Who knows after last week in SM
McNeese State at Southeastern La. - This is a trap game for the Cowboys but hopefully they will get focused right away and prepare properly.

2010 Results

28-14

I don't give a rat's *** about the rest of the league but the Lions will lose by 60 on Saturday to the vastly superior McNeese State Cowboys...we just hope to be able to get a first down.

McNeese72
October 18th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I don't give a rat's *** about the rest of the league but the Lions will lose by 60 on Saturday to the vastly superior McNeese State Cowboys...we just hope to be able to get a first down.

Wait......we are down to our 4th string runningback (if you look at our roster starting fall workouts) and now with Freshman Renaldo Young's broken leg, we will have to take off the redshirt of another true freshman for a backup. Watching Champlain Babin limp around Saturday night, I'd be surprised if he is ready to go this weekend.

And we have plenty of injuries in other areas.

Our defense looked decent against LSU but LSU was bound and determined to try to power over us with the run despite us putting 8 and 9 people in the box. It's the passing teams that drive us crazy.

I just hope we don't come out flat after the LSU high.

Doc

P.S. A couple of things I picked up on LSU. Jarett Lee needs to be the Qb and Missouri looked to be a better group of Tigers. :)

FormerPokeCenter
October 18th, 2010, 09:21 AM

You get no style points for this one. To be believable, sand bagging has to be subtle and nuanced. Think John Kerry on Iraqi regime change....If you're all gung ho against the team you support, people will know that you're being sarcastic.

It's an artform, really....the brush strokes for your masterwork have be almost indiscernible...Watch McNeese72 when he's in mid-season form. He sometimes even convinces me ;)

McNeese75
October 18th, 2010, 10:39 AM

http://0.tqn.com/d/weather/1/0/y/5/-/-/80324545_8.jpg

xlolx Our offense can't score 60 points.

jhanel
October 18th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Together We Stand! BELIEVE! GO DEMONS!!!

http://www.vimeo.com/15952814

lionsrking2
October 18th, 2010, 12:13 PM
You get no style points for this one. To be believable, sand bagging has to be subtle and nuanced. Think John Kerry on Iraqi regime change....If you're all gung ho against the team you support, people will know that you're being sarcastic.

It's an artform, really....the brush strokes for your masterwork have be almost indiscernible...Watch McNeese72 when he's in mid-season form. He sometimes even convinces me ;)

Sadly, I'm being dead serious...well, maybe a tad on the sarcastic side, but we're not in a good place right now health-wise...we just had our asses handed to us 57-7 by a team that can't throw the football against air and will probably struggle to win another game this year...I wish I had sandbags to toss around.

FormerPokeCenter
October 18th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Sadly, I'm being dead serious...well, maybe a tad on the sarcastic side, but we're not in a good place right now health-wise...we just had our asses handed to us 57-7 by a team that can't throw the football against air and will probably struggle to win another game this year...I wish I had sandbags to toss around.

Kudos, that was a MUCH better effort. You're coachable...

I like that ;)

lionsrking2
October 18th, 2010, 12:15 PM
http://0.tqn.com/d/weather/1/0/y/5/-/-/80324545_8.jpg

xlolx Our offense can't score 60 points.

Maybe not, but your defense and special teams could chip in...that's partly how the BearKittens achieved their lofty sum of points on Saturday.

DG Cowboy
October 18th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I'll go with SFA (how can Sam play pass defense if they can't practice against one?),

UCA (or is Nicholls starting to understand the new offense?),

NW( once you drink the water, you know?),

and ...........which Lions and Cowboys will show up at Strawberry Stadium?.My guestimate is McNeese by a Lewis field goal. Er, or is that my Hope? Gets confusing sometimes.

katstrapper
October 18th, 2010, 08:46 PM
How may points has SAM scored on special teams this year? Just wondering not trying to start anything, but I'm amost positive SFA has more. Excluding FG's

SHSU blocked a punt for a TD against SE La, blocked a punt for a TD against Nicholls St and has returned 3 punts for TD's this season.

PK Miguel Antonio is 7-11 on FG and 19-19 on PAT's this year, Long of 43.

Seems pretty even thus far except I think Antonio could be the X-Factor.

Regardless of records and rankings, this game is a heated rivalry and should be a very good ballgame.

katstrapper
October 18th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I'll go with SFA (how can Sam play pass defense if they can't practice against one?),

UCA (or is Nicholls starting to understand the new offense?),

NW( once you drink the water, you know?)

and ...........which Lions and Cowboys will show up at Strawberry Stadium?.My guestimate is McNeese by a Lewis field goal. Er, or is that my Hope? Gets confusing sometimes.

Just in case you havent looked, here are the current SLC rankings for SHSU defense:

#1 Total Defense
#2 Scoring Defense
#1 Rush Defense
#3 Pass Defense
#1 Sacks
#1 Pass Defense Efficiency
#4 Interceptions
#1 Opponents 3rd Down
#2 Red Zone Defense

Anything else?

McNeese75
October 18th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Just in case you havent looked, here are the current SLC rankings for SHSU defense:

#1 Total Defense
#2 Scoring Defense
#1 Rush Defense
#3 Pass Defense
#1 Sacks
#4 Interceptions
#1 Opponents 3rd Down
#2 Red Zone Defense

Anything else?

xeyebrowx I'm glad your impressed. McNeese may be last in all those categories after loses to two undefeated top 20 FBS and two ranked FCS teams. Good luck with those stats this weekend and again on November 6th. (Stoker is not a mystery to McNeese)

katstrapper
October 18th, 2010, 10:27 PM
xeyebrowx I'm glad your impressed. McNeese may be last in all those categories after loses to two undefeated top 20 FBS and two ranked FCS teams. Good luck with those stats this weekend and again on November 6th. (Stoker is not a mystery to McNeese)

Well yes I am impressed since this defense has 6 true freshman in the two deep and considering how pourous this group was last year and the first two games of this year. Shutting down Tyler Beatty is no small feat, but its ok, I will let you McNeese fans have your "we are better than everyone" attitude just because you played two undefeated FBS schools and two ranked FCS schools. woopie, you played Missouri and LSU !! (money games)

Of course, you fail to mention.....
-you beat a Lamar start up program by 3. (LU had 426 yds passing)
-beat a bad NW St team only 24-7.
-Lost to a ranked Cal Poly team 40-14, who got beat by Tx State 21-12 (Tx State has lost its last two games giving up a total of 97 points to SE LA and Nicholls St).

so whats your point?

I wll be the first to admit our 4 wins are not impressive wins over strong opponents, except for the 57-7 blowout last weekend over SE Louisiana. And lionsrking2, we dont need to throw the football a lot when we can pound out 200+ yds on the ground against the defense, blocked a punt for a td and intercepted a pass for a td. However, I do recall our QB hitting a 38yd td pass in the first half.

DG Cowboy
October 19th, 2010, 08:27 AM

#1 Total Defense
#2 Scoring Defense
#1 Rush Defense
#3 Pass Defense
#1 Sacks
#4 Interceptions
#1 Opponents 3rd Down
#2 Red Zone Defense

Anything else?

Else would be, since Sam is 7th in Pass Offense out of 8 teams, how can they play pass defense so well if they can't practice against a good passing offense ? My original observation. Must be some Stoker magic.

McNeese72
October 19th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Maybe not, but your defense and special teams could chip in...that's partly how the BearKittens achieved their lofty sum of points on Saturday.

Have you seen our special teams play? We are probably last in the league in kickoff and punt returns, we have a hard time covering kicks and punts. So I don't think they'll chip in on the score.

The defense does great against the run but against the passing teams there ends up being an odor of burnt toast. :)

Doc

msusig
October 19th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Stephen F. Austin vs Sam Houston State
Northwestern State at Texas State
Central Arkansas at Nicholls St

34 -9

katstrapper
October 19th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Else would be, since Sam is 7th in Pass Offense out of 8 teams, how can they play pass defense so well if they can't practice against a good passing offense ? My original observation. Must be some Stoker magic.

What does our passing offense have to do with practicing for a pass offense? Again, we dont throw much because WE HAVENT NEEDED TOO. Look at the number of passing attempts in our games. NOT MANY!

If you dont think Brian Bell is capable of passing the ball, then you are mislead. Bell was being recruited hard by SE Louisiana until he decided to stay in Texas and come to SHSU. The kid is a winner. He lead his high school team to a 21-4 record his junior and senior years.

Senior Year stats at China Springs High School (Tx)

260 of 380 3,679yds .684 comp pct 35tds 9 ints

DG Cowboy
October 19th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Well, thanks for the enlightenment Katstrapper. If Sam plays up to its stats, SFA is in for trouble. I'll look forward to following the game.

FormerPokeCenter
October 19th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Well, thanks for the enlightenment Katstrapper. If Sam plays up to its stats, SFA is in for trouble. I'll look forward to following the game.

I hope he's right on the money ;)

TexasTerror
October 19th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I wonder how many people in the SLC would love to see the Bearkats defeat the Lumberjacks...

A win by SHSU could open the league race up some more, that's for sure. This week's McNeese-SLU game will be the most intriguing contest after SHSU-SFA in my opinion.

McNeese75
October 19th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I'm pretty sure all Poke fans will be pulling for SHSU this weekend.

Strapper, my only point regarding your posting of all the lofty defensive stats held by the Kats was they were pretty much irrelevent at this point in time. Win this weekend and I will be impressed. If you beat McNeese then of course all the hoopla was right on and well deserved.

This anygiven satruday crap is starting to bite a lot of us in the *** , LOL

SFA 71
October 19th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Just in case YOU haven't looked here are the current ranking for SFA in several areas, not just one:
# 1 Scoring offense (Shs # 3)
# 1 Scoring defense (Shs # 2)
# 1 Total offense (Shs # 5)
# 3 Total defense (Shs #1)
# 3 Rushing defense (Shs # 1)
# 1 Passing offense (Shs # 7)
# 1 Passing efficiency (Shs # 6)
# 2 Passing defense efficiency (Shs # 1)
# 1 Kick off returns (Shs # 4)
# 1 Punt returns (Shs # 3)
# 3 Interceptions (Shs # 4)
# 1 First downs (Shs # 6)

Individual defensive statistics:
SFA # 1, #2, #3 and tied for # 4 in sacks.xthumbsupx

SFA 71
October 19th, 2010, 01:49 PM
xthumbsupx
I wonder how many people in the SLC would love to see the Bearkats defeat the Lumberjacks...

A win by SHSU could open the league race up some more, that's for sure. This week's McNeese-SLU game will be the most intriguing contest after SHSU-SFA in my opinion.

I wonder how many SLC fans would like to see Mommy kissing Santa Claus. I didn't realize the Beercats had replaced the Dallas cowboys as America's team. "Any enemy of my enemy is my friend" will only get you so far.

YouCanUseaMint
October 19th, 2010, 02:04 PM

Well since both SFA and Sam will probably dominate us this year, I will be pulling for Sam this weekend.

McNeese72
October 19th, 2010, 02:19 PM
xthumbsupx

I wonder how many SLC fans would like to see Mommy kissing Santa Claus. I didn't realize the Beercats had replaced the Dallas cowboys as America's team. "Any enemy of my enemy is my friend" will only get you so far.

Hey, it goes with the territory. When you are the top dog all the other teams and fans will naturally be pulling against you. You can't take it personal because it is only natural.

We've seen the phenomenom many times in the past.

Doc

FormerPokeCenter
October 19th, 2010, 02:28 PM

I dunno, pretty much everybody who doesn't pull for a school whose mascot is a guy in purple flannel, toting an axe.....

msusig
October 19th, 2010, 03:19 PM

Conference loyalty begins after the season ends.

AxeEmJacks
October 19th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I dunno, pretty much everybody who doesn't pull for a school whose mascot is a guy in purple flannel, toting an axe.....

He did get pretty swole playing McNeese didn't he? xhurrayx

SFA 71
October 19th, 2010, 03:46 PM

I don't think I could pull for a school the uses the image on the Wyoming license plate as their mascot.xnodx

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_eOdSZ7FoUAg/R0Djxai3cyI/AAAAAAAAAA0/DoM7vVBK2g8/s320/wy_license_plate.jpg

McNeese72
October 19th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I don't think I could pull for a school the uses the image on the Wyoming license plate as their mascot.xnodx

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_eOdSZ7FoUAg/R0Djxai3cyI/AAAAAAAAAA0/DoM7vVBK2g8/s320/wy_license_plate.jpg

Big Fail!!!!

You are behind the times. The logo we have used for almost 8 years now doesn't resemble the Wyoming one.

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/mcneeselogo.gif

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/wyoming.jpg

Doc

FormerPokeCenter
October 19th, 2010, 04:43 PM
He did get pretty swole playing McNeese didn't he? xhurrayx

Congrats, we gave you the game two years in a row with STUPID penalties. I know that's a part of the game, but it's not like you just lined up and whipped our asses. We greatly aided your cause and that's on us.

I'm not nearly as impressed with your playing ability as I was with your acting ability versus Texas A&M. Two thumbs up on your viral video, by the way ;)

FormerPokeCenter
October 19th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Big Fail!!!!

You are behind the times. The logo we have used for almost 8 years now doesn't resemble the Wyoming one.

Doc

Somebody needs a shot of Ginko Bilboa or something. It appears that Alzheimers has set in. Of course, If I were a Slumberjack fan, I'd probably have been thankful for Alzheimers for most of the pendancy of my fandom ;)

SFA 71
October 19th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Big Fail!!!!

Doc

Oh yeah, there's definitely no similarity there. Ones brown & the other blue. One has a hat off, one has a hat on. One on his front feet, one on his rear. Wyoming started using this design back in 1938, so who could have copied who?
I will admit that the Wyoming horse looks like he's in a rodeo while yours looks like it's getting ready to take a dump (notice the elevated tail). xthumbsupx

SFA 71
October 19th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Congrats, we gave you the game two years in a row with STUPID penalties. I know that's a part of the game, but it's not like you just lined up and whipped our asses. We greatly aided your cause and that's on us.

I'm not nearly as impressed with your playing ability as I was with your acting ability versus Texas A&M. Two thumbs up on your viral video, by the way ;)

Jeeze, we need to get the Salvation Army & the United Way in touch with you boys. You gave us the game, two years in a row. What a charitable group you guys have become. It's funny NO-ONE ever beats you guys, you always give it away.

How did a discussion of the SFA vs Shs game get sidetracked to a discussion of Mc's shortcomings over the last two years.
Keep bringing up the Texas A&M game if, (as Mr. Bennet said to Jane) it gives you comfort.xthumbsupx

msusig
October 19th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Jeeze, we need to get the Salvation Army & the United Way in touch with you boys. You gave us the game, two years in a row. What a charitable group you guys have become. It's funny NO-ONE ever beats you guys, you always give it away.

How did a discussion of the SFA vs Shs game get sidetracked to a discussion of Mc's shortcomings over the last two years.
Keep bringing up the Texas A&M game if, (as Mr. Bennet said to Jane) it gives you comfort.xthumbsupx

We didn't give you the win. SFA won the game fair and square. Our defense couldn't stop Moses on the final drive and no team is going to win with 16 penalties. I still blame our coaches for that lose. I wouldn't talk too much smack b/c you are losing Moses next year.

msusig
October 19th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I will admit that the Wyoming horse looks like he's in a rodeo while yours looks like it's getting ready to take a dump (notice the elevated tail). xthumbsupx

We didn't steal that logo from Wyoming. A cowboy on a bucking horse is a pretty common logo. I still think it was stupid we had to change our logo b/c of Wyoming.

SFA 71
October 19th, 2010, 08:35 PM
We didn't give you the win. SFA won the game fair and square. Our defense couldn't stop Moses on the final drive and no team is going to win with 16 penalties. I still blame our coaches for that lose. I wouldn't talk too much smack b/c you are losing Moses next year.

There's no smack from me. Someone said this:

"Congrats, we gave you the game two years in a row with STUPID penalties. I know that's a part of the game, but it's not like you just lined up and whipped our asses. We greatly aided your cause and that's on us."

and I commented. I think if there was any smack that was it. xnodx

purplejacks
October 19th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I guess I have to throw my 2 cents into this discussion

SFA will beat Sam Houston ( just because)
TSU will lose to NWLA (just because TSU wants to go to the WAC and they have a train)
Nicholls St will beat Central Arkansas ( I saw C.Arkansas last week.. they got the crap beat outta them)
McNeese will kill SELA... They are a good team and they are do !!

El Gato
October 19th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I guess I have to throw my 2 cents into this discussion

SFA will beat Sam Houston ( just because)
TSU will lose to NWLA (just because TSU wants to go to the WAC and they have a train)
Nicholls St will beat Central Arkansas ( I saw C.Arkansas last week.. they got the crap beat outta them)
McNeese will kill SELA... They are a good team and they are do !!

still haven't learned have you.
It's like some of the SFA fans have been so used to losing for so long they don't know how to act when they win. I'll be rooting for Sam this weekend.

FormerPokeCenter
October 19th, 2010, 11:56 PM

I take no joy in discussing the terrible acting job you guys did against Texas A&M. It gives me no comfort. It was a pretty major low point for the conference.

It's a fact that for two successive years, we've been abyssmal when it comes to penalties for sheer stupidity against SFA. That's not even a debatable point. In the most recent game, on the last drive - you know, the one we couldn't convert on and gave you the ball with about two minutes left on the clock - started after a stupid penalty. Without the penalty, and with the exact same offensive production, we're in field goal range.

There are countless examples just like that. Now, if we'd have played penalty free, or - in the alternative - hadn't amassed as many penalty yards as we did on stupid dead-ball personal foul stuff, and you lined up and beat us, I'd give you props.

But, if you were at that game and didn't see that we aided your cause tremendously, you're just blind...or abstruse ;)

We had 160 yards worth of penalties.

SFA 71
October 20th, 2010, 09:26 AM
you're just blind...or abstruse ;)

Abstruse: adj. "hard to understand; recondite; esoteric"
Recondite: adj. " beyond ordinary knowledge or understanding"

A worthy compliment... thanks. :o

AxeEmJacks
October 20th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I take no joy in discussing the terrible acting job you guys did against Texas A&M. It gives me no comfort. It was a pretty major low point for the conference.

It's a fact that for two successive years, we've been abyssmal when it comes to penalties for sheer stupidity against SFA. That's not even a debatable point. In the most recent game, on the last drive - you know, the one we couldn't convert on and gave you the ball with about two minutes left on the clock - started after a stupid penalty. Without the penalty, and with the exact same offensive production, we're in field goal range.

There are countless examples just like that. Now, if we'd have played penalty free, or - in the alternative - hadn't amassed as many penalty yards as we did on stupid dead-ball personal foul stuff, and you lined up and beat us, I'd give you props.

But, if you were at that game and didn't see that we aided your cause tremendously, you're just blind...or abstruse ;)

We had 160 yards worth of penalties.

You do realize that penalties are an actual part of the game right? This is like saying that if we didn't punt as much and scored more touchdowns we would have won. Mistakes are part of the game, the team that capitalizes on those mistakes more often than not wins the game. I've heard this tired excuse from both UNI and now McNeese that they would have won the game if they weren't penalized as much. It doesn't matter how or why you lost, at the end of the day you lost.

SFA 71
October 20th, 2010, 03:50 PM
xbangx
You do realize that penalties are an actual part of the game right? This is like saying that if we didn't punt as much and scored more touchdowns we would have won. Mistakes are part of the game, the team that capitalizes on those mistakes more often than not wins the game. I've heard this tired excuse from both UNI and now McNeese that they would have won the game if they weren't penalized as much. It doesn't matter how or why you lost, at the end of the day you lost.

I think most Mc fans realize it but unfortunately some of the fans that appear here will never understand that that's the way football is. In their world either Mc won OR they gave you the game. Nothing you did, i.e. scoring point because of their mistakes, taking advantage of the penalties, etc, had any impact. They screwed up & gave you the game & that is the ONLY reason SFA, or any opponent, has ever won. Then, if you make any contrary comment, it's because you've never won enough to know how to act like a winner. You can't win against these guys!

FormerPokeCenter
October 20th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Abstruse: adj. "hard to understand; recondite; esoteric"
Recondite: adj. " beyond ordinary knowledge or understanding"

A worthy compliment... thanks. :o

Oy....I left out the word "purposefully"..as in you were being "purposefully abstruse."

It's NOT a compliment ;)

FormerPokeCenter
October 20th, 2010, 04:36 PM

Again, if you lined up and just physically whipped our ***, I'd give you your props. But, that didn't happen. I wouldn't ***** about off sides, holding or any other number of play related penalties.

But, for two years in a row, we've gotten hammered with dead ball fouls....that's a fact. It's NOT debatable. When a guy gets a dead ball foul, it's not because YOU caused him to be stupid, he was just being stupid. He was beating himself.

If McNeese eliminates the stupid self-inflicted deadball penalties the last two years against SFA, you don't win either game.

If you were the slightest big knowleggeable about football, you'd understand that ;)

SFA 71
October 20th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Again, if you lined up and just physically whipped our ***, I'd give you your props. But, that didn't happen. I wouldn't ***** about off sides, holding or any other number of play related penalties.

But, for two years in a row, we've gotten hammered with dead ball fouls....that's a fact. It's NOT debatable. When a guy gets a dead ball foul, it's not because YOU caused him to be stupid, he was just being stupid. He was beating himself.

If McNeese eliminates the stupid self-inflicted deadball penalties the last two years against SFA, you don't win either game.

If you were the slightest big knowleggeable about football, you'd understand that ;)

Let me see if I understand this. It doesn't matter what the score is because the winner is the team that got the least number of penalties. Is there a special group of stupid penalties and non stupid penalties? Does getting someone mad enough, because they are losing, that they start making "stoopid" penalties count only half. Crap, I wish I understood all these intricacies that only ex football players can understand.

Or is there some rubric where you factor in the number of points, the amount of penalty yardage, the number of penalties, who wanted the game the most, who kicked whose butt, who won the game in the past AND THEN you decide who actually won the game. xprayx

knowleggeable = knowledgeable ??xconfusedx

FormerPokeCenter
October 20th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Let me see if I understand this. It doesn't matter what the score is because the winner is the team that got the least number of penalties. Is there a special group of stupid penalties and non stupid penalties? Does getting someone mad enough, because they are losing, that they start making "stoopid" penalties count only half. Crap, I wish I understood all these intricacies that only ex football players can understand.

Or is there some rubric where you factor in the number of points, the amount of penalty yardage, the number of penalties, who wanted the game the most, who kicked whose butt, who won the game in the past AND THEN you decide who actually won the game. xprayx

knowleggeable = knowledgeable ??xconfusedx

Congrats on your skill with finding typos. If you can make decent coffee and have good telephone skills, I might be able to put you to work. Do you have any medical conditions that would prohibit you from occasionally stooping to file stuff or from standing in front of the copier for extended periods of time?

If not, let me know. I'm always on the look out for good secretarial support staff....

As to the game, the only rubric that counts is the final score. However, if you're going to examine the components of the game, looking for keys to victory, then it's possible to identify stupid deadball fouls as an indication that in at least one phase of the game, a team was the author of its own misfortune.

Unless, of course, you're being purposefully abstruse, then you'd hold your current position ;)

houtexan
October 21st, 2010, 10:26 AM

:)

TexasTerror
October 23rd, 2010, 07:48 AM
** bump **

Time to get your picks in! Few more hours til the opening kick!

houtexan
October 23rd, 2010, 10:12 AM
** bump **

Time to get your picks in! Few more hours til the opening kick!

Lamar vs. Bye - Lamar doesn't lose this week. :)

Frosty The Snowbuff
October 23rd, 2010, 11:06 AM
I need to visit here more often....thread was starting to get interesting with the SFA/McNeese talk:

Stephen F. Austin vs Sam Houston State (Reliant Stadium) --- Not sold on Sam Houston (Yet) SFA rolls on....
Northwestern State at Texas State-San Marcos ---- I'm scared to pick this game....maybe if I say nothing about it we can pull it out....(We'll see...)
Central Arkansas at Nicholls --- Angry bears heading to Voodoo ground....I've see what that place does to teams first hand....I'm going with Nicholls
McNeese State at Southeastern La. --- They won't score 60 on them (Heck...Can McNeese score 60???) But McNeese will win with their 3rd string QB and 8th string RB by 3 TDs....
Lamar vs Bye --- Bye Never loses....GO Bye GO!!!

TexasTerror
October 23rd, 2010, 09:28 PM
A 2-2 week...

TT's Predictions All-Time Results
2007 Record: 46-14 (24-4 SLC)
2008 Record: 40-22 (9-18 SLC)
2009 Record: 41-22 (16-12 SLC)
2010 Record: 35-10 (8-4 SLC)
Total: 162-68 (57-38 SLC)

msusig
October 23rd, 2010, 10:14 PM

Way to go Josh Lewis. He made a 52 yard field goal for the win.

What the hell NWst beat Texas State and messed up a perfect prediction this week. What is the deal with Texas State? They show some promise by winning against Cal Poly and then just fall apart after Southern Utah.

3-1 week eight
37-10 in 2010

I would have never guessed by midseason it would have been SFA, McNeese, Sam Houston, and Northwestern State fighting for the conference championship. (Of course, we all need SFA to lose).

El Gato
October 23rd, 2010, 11:17 PM
Way to go Josh Lewis. He made a 52 yard field goal for the win.

What the hell NWst beat Texas State and messed up a perfect prediction this week. What is the deal with Texas State? They show some promise by winning against Cal Poly and then just fall apart after Southern Utah.

3-1 week eight
37-10 in 2010

I would have never guessed by midseason it would have been SFA, McNeese, Sam Houston, and Northwestern State fighting for the conference championship. (Of course, we all need SFA to lose).

Well SFA needs to lose and someone needs to win the conference to get two SLC teams into the playoffs because we have all taken ourselves out of the at large playoff picture. Only UCA, SHSU, and SFA can reach the 7 D1 win mandate and even then UCA and SHSU will be out if they lose a game, which one of them certainly will as they face each other in three weeks.

Conference is a disaster this year. SLU looks good then looks bad. SHSU looks bad then turns it on, McNeesse is just weird coming out strong against LSU but dropping everything else, and Texas State is totally gone off the deep end (and I don't think we will be coming back) since the opening conference loss. Weird.

katstrapper
October 24th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I hope he's right on the money ;)

Well I hope you got to see a little bit of the game. This young team has no QUIT in them at all. Too bad we couldnt get that long pass down the sidelines at the end of the game.

TexasTerror
October 24th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Conference is a disaster this year. SLU looks good then looks bad. SHSU looks bad then turns it on, McNeesse is just weird coming out strong against LSU but dropping everything else, and Texas State is totally gone off the deep end (and I don't think we will be coming back) since the opening conference loss. Weird.

Adding Lamar as a conference member will help next year. Everyone will have 8 SLC games and we will hopefully be better positioned to get an at-large. More teams need to go with an all-Div I schedule, but unfortunately as we're seeing from SLU and Nicholls - certain schools are in a position to schedule two FBS games due to financial constraints.