PDA

View Full Version : Ousted Lamar AD Takes Shots at Southland

TexasTerror
October 16th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Per JJWooten on KatFans.com (http://katfans.com/newforum/index.php?topic=859.msg8700#msg8700), Lamar's ousted athletic director (yes - he did resign - but let's get beyond the "wording") - resorted to dogging the SLC at halftime of Lamar vs South Alabama...

Come on Billy Ball - you still are linked to the Lamar program in a heavy way and are viewed as someone who speaks on behalf of the school/department because of your current role as a special advisor.

Okay, we know that TXST had plenty of folks 'dog' the Southland a few years ago, but none were employed by the school - they were members of the Drive committee with a few of those people taking shots at the academic quality of the other SLC schools having already pre-established reputations for their actions in other happenings during previous years...

Billy Tubbs on the halftime show for the USA game trashed the SLC pretty hard. He talked about how bad of a decision it was for Lamar to leave the Sunbelt for the Southland, and that's the reason why Lamar has struggled so much for the past two decades. He basically explained that his role as "advisor to the president" is to help them get out of the SLC if the opportunity comes up

purplejacks
October 16th, 2010, 08:39 PM
TT - Billy is a has been. Thats why he was shown the door by Lamar earlier this summer.

Struggle ??? OK, how many times has Lamar been to the finals of the SLC Men's Basketball Tournament? Oh thats right, you have to qualify for the tournament first, and Lamar has missed it the last two years !!!!!
I guess what Billy is saying is that if they had stayed in the SunBelt, Everyone goes to the Basketball Tournament,,,,, ha ha... Billy go play some more golf.

What other sports at Lamar can ANY ONE, brag about??? Please, someone tell me. There aren't any.

Their biggest claim to fame is their TRUCK DRIVING ACADEMY

AxeEmJacks
October 16th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Per JJWooten on KatFans.com (http://katfans.com/newforum/index.php?topic=859.msg8700#msg8700), Lamar's ousted athletic director (yes - he did resign - but let's get beyond the "wording") - resorted to dogging the SLC at halftime of Lamar vs South Alabama...

Come on Billy Ball - you still are linked to the Lamar program in a heavy way and are viewed as someone who speaks on behalf of the school/department because of your current role as a special advisor.

Okay, we know that TXST had plenty of folks 'dog' the Southland a few years ago, but none were employed by the school - they were members of the Drive committee with a few of those people taking shots at the academic quality of the other SLC schools having already pre-established reputations for their actions in other happenings during previous years...

Tell him to pound sand

TexasTerror
October 16th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Struggle ??? OK, how many times has Lamar been to the finals of the SLC Men's Basketball Tournament? Oh thats right, you have to qualify for the tournament first, and Lamar has missed it the last two years !!!!!

They'll be back this year. Billy's last act was to get the Cards into the SLC East full-time with schools that have half the budget while Roc - feeling his job his threatened - went back to the good ole JUCO route!

What other sports at Lamar can ANY ONE, brag about??? Please, someone tell me. There aren't any.

Cross country. They load up on males that can run long distances. Does not translate to indoor/outdoor so much because their scholarships are invested in XC.

LouiseBFree
October 16th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Classy Billy, even after the SLC votes him into its Hall of Fame.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 16th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Who can blame him? Obviously Lamar would be much better off being 0 - 7 in the Sun Belt rather than 3 - 4 in the SLC. Think about how much more prestigious that 71 - 3 loss would have been at the hands of WKU instead of SFA.

houtexan
October 17th, 2010, 09:44 AM

Taken way out of context -- as usual. Recruiting for all sports has suffered greatly since going back to the Southland. Particularly in basketball - Southland consistently dwells as one of the lowest rated conferences.

TexasTerror
October 17th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Taken way out of context -- as usual. Recruiting for all sports has suffered greatly since going back to the Southland. Particularly in basketball - Southland consistently dwells as one of the lowest rated conferences.

Recruiting for MBB suffered? I thought Lamar had a No. 3 nationally-ranked recruiting class a few years ago? If anything, it suffered with poor recruiting strategies by Roc. Same goes for Tubbs. They are not sure how to recruit at this "level".

bigred360
October 17th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I heard the "where are they now" sigment last night with Billy Tubbs and Bo Brown as I was leaving work. It is funny how two different people can hear the same thing and get a different message.

IMO, Billy Tubbs was not dogging the SLC. He did state in his opinion it was a bad decision to drop football and leave the Sun Belt conference. I did not hear him say one bad word about the SLC.

He stated in his opinion it would have been easier to go FBS if we never left the Sun Belt and that is true. (See South Alabama) He also mentioned the old rivalries with La Tech, North Texas, SW Louisiana (now ULL) and Arkansas State.

Then he stated he thought bringing back football and all the excitement around SE Texas will run over into fan attendance in other sports at Lamar.

Asking a honest question here; would you think it would be a mistake to go back to DII for financial reasons it that were to happen at SHSU? (I know it will not happen at SHSU I'm just using a hypothetical.)

I say yes it would be a huge mistake and it was a mistake for Lamar to leave the Sun Belt for those reasons. Just my opinion.

Coach Tubbs mentioned he and a few other administrators including Dr. Simmons are looking at all situations and monitoring conference realignment at Lamar.

We have to get better in our athletic department, fielding better teams including football. Plus, we have to raise money for a move to a FBS conference.

I believe I've read on here that you guys are monitoring the situation with conference realignment too.

No one knows what the SLC will be if you lose 2 Texas schools and a couple from Louisiana due to budget issues.

For TexasTerror, he did resign as AD and is Special Assistant/Consultant to the President. He helped bring back football and has made several great hires as in Coach Tidwell now AD/WBB HC, the strenght and conditioning coach Scott Reeves, Brian White men's golf, Dewi Hardman women's soccer, Ron Wesbrooks director of tennis operations, Justin Gibert volleyball, Trey Clark men's and women's cross country, media relations and other athletic administrative positions.

If Coach Roc has a breakthrough season like I heard Coach Tidwell state he believed was going to happen after watching them practice in the off season program you can add him to the list as good hires by Coach Tubbs.

Billy Tubbs has served Lamar University for a total of 25 years. He was involved in the winning of eight conference championships as a coach, and since he returned to the school as athletics director in 2002, Lamar teams have accounted for 20 Southland Conference championships in eight different sports.

TexasTerror
October 17th, 2010, 11:25 AM
For TexasTerror, he did resign as AD and is Special Assistant/Consultant to the President. He helped bring back football and has made several great hires as in Coach Tidwell now AD/WBB HC, the strenght and conditioning coach Scott Reeves, Brian White men's golf, Dewi Hardman women's soccer, Ron Wesbrooks director of tennis operations, Justin Gibert volleyball media relations and other athletic administrative positions.

A few of those hires were good ones. Not going to deny that. Would put a few question marks once you move on from coaching staff...

If Coach Roc has a breakthrough season like I heard Coach Tidwell state he believed was going to happen after watching them practice in the off season program you can add him to the list a good hires by Coach Tubbs.

We've heard tons of hype from Lamar in the past.

You guys are the basketball equivalent of TXST, even more so now that you are in the SLC East Division. You are competing with schools with 50 percent of the basketball budget that you have. Roc has no business really losing to many, if any of those schools - yet they are the same ones that kept you out of the SLC tournament last year when you were struggling against the Texas teams and needing a few wins against the East...

Billy Tubbs has served Lamar University for a total of 25 years. He was involved in the winning of eight conference championships as a coach, and since he returned to the school as athletics director in 2002, Lamar teams have accounted for 20 Southland Conference championships in eight different sports.

Care to share how many of those are in men's basketball and baseball - long, the most important sports in Beaumont? I'm sure a good bit of those come from golf and cross country... ;)

bigred360
October 17th, 2010, 11:30 AM
And Lamar is the same school that knocked SHSU out a few times in the men's basketball SLC tournament under Coach Tubbs and Coach Roc while the Kat's were coached by Bob Marlin who is now at ULL where his teams will play before more than 2,000 which can't be said for the school in Huntsville, Texas.

BTW, I'm not hyping the team it came from the AD. I will hype the WBB team as they are loaded.

As for baseball, Lamar won the SLC tournament and went to regionals this past season. Then men's basketball was co-champions of the SLC 3 years ago.

houtexan
October 18th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I heard the "where are they now" sigment last night with Billy Tubbs and Bo Brown as I was leaving work. It is funny how two different people can hear the same thing and get a different message.

IMO, Billy Tubbs was not dogging the SLC. He did state in his opinion it was a bad decision to drop football and leave the Sun Belt conference. I did not hear him say one bad word about the SLC.

He stated in his opinion it would have been easier to go FBS if we never left the Sun Belt and that is true. (See South Alabama) He also mentioned the old rivalries with La Tech, North Texas, SW Louisiana (now ULL) and Arkansas State.

Then he stated he thought bringing back football and all the excitement around SE Texas will run over into fan attendance in other sports at Lamar.

Asking a honest question here; would you think it would be a mistake to go back to DII for financial reasons it that were to happen at SHSU? (I know it will not happen at SHSU I'm just using a hypothetical.)

I say yes it would be a huge mistake and it was a mistake for Lamar to leave the Sun Belt for those reasons. Just my opinion.

Coach Tubbs mentioned he and a few other administrators including Dr. Simmons are looking at all situations and monitoring conference realignment at Lamar.

We have to get better in our athletic department, fielding better teams including football. Plus, we have to raise money for a move to a FBS conference.

I believe I've read on here that you guys are monitoring the situation with conference realignment too.

No one knows what the SLC will be if you lose 2 Texas schools and a couple from Louisiana due to budget issues.

For TexasTerror, he did resign as AD and is Special Assistant/Consultant to the President. He helped bring back football and has made several great hires as in Coach Tidwell now AD/WBB HC, the strenght and conditioning coach Scott Reeves, Brian White men's golf, Dewi Hardman women's soccer, Ron Wesbrooks director of tennis operations, Justin Gibert volleyball, Trey Clark men's and women's cross country, media relations and other athletic administrative positions.

If Coach Roc has a breakthrough season like I heard Coach Tidwell state he believed was going to happen after watching them practice in the off season program you can add him to the list as good hires by Coach Tubbs.

Thanks bigred360, this is how I heard it too. Glad it wasn't just me. I agree that it would have been best for LU to stay in the Sunbelt and keep football, but they didn't and that is why Lamar is trying to make all of these corrections now. The good part, win or lose, is that Lamar now has the backing, the funding, and the leadership to forge ahead. Not many other schools in the SLC are as well positioned.

centexguy
October 18th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Of course SHSU and SFA fans would be complaining about what Billy Tubbs said. Both schools have good athletic departments and good basketball programs, but they are stuck in the SLC for the long haul due to small fan bases. Both SFA and SHSU had less than 8,000 at their football games Saturday even though both teams are playing extremely well. College athletics is as much about money as it is about winning.