PDA

View Full Version : Richmond hasn't attempted a pass???

bullseye44
October 16th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Assuming ESPN GameCast isn't playing games with me, with 9:46 left in the third quarter, Richmond trails UMass 7-2 and HASN'T ATTEMPTED A PASS. Just 23 carries for 55 yards. Spiders D has only given up 115 yards on 44 UMass plays. Interesting strategy...

R3TRO
October 16th, 2010, 04:21 PM
After last week can you blame them?

bullseye44
October 16th, 2010, 04:32 PM
After last week can you blame them?

True, I understood it, but thought it was a pretty funny stat line to see. I'm impressed they've managed to keep it close.

Eight Legger
October 16th, 2010, 05:06 PM
We also just won the game.

We started our 4th string QB because the first three are hurt and played most of the game with no QB, only running wildcat. We didn't complete a pass til the final drive. Not bad on the road against the #8 team in the nation!

umassfan
October 16th, 2010, 05:09 PM
We blew it. Had 4 tries at the 1 to score but couldnt. We are way overrated. I do not feel like we have the coaching staff to win big games. We will be lucky to win a couple more games this season. There is a reason why I havent been cocky about this years team even being 4-1. Fools gold has fooled you all about your team.xnonono2x

umassfan
October 16th, 2010, 05:13 PM

We started our 4th string QB because the first three are hurt and played most of the game with no QB, only running wildcat. We didn't complete a pass til the final drive. Not bad on the road against the #8 team in the nation!

We are far from the 8th ranked team in the nation. We do not have the coaching staff to take this team to the next level.

bullseye44
October 16th, 2010, 05:21 PM

I didn't realize the third stringer was out too. Incredibly impressed that your D held UMass to 10 points. Great win...I guess we can't count the Spiders out yet after all.

DTSpider
October 16th, 2010, 05:49 PM
To add to the drama a little bit. The 4th string QB is a true freshman who missed his senior year of HS. Incredible game plan by Coach Scott to make it work.

umassfan
October 16th, 2010, 06:16 PM
To add to the drama a little bit. The 4th string QB is a true freshman who missed his senior year of HS. Incredible game plan by Coach Scott to make it work.

You really think so? You won because of your Defense not because of your gameplan. If we knocked it in from the 1 yardline then the game was over. Your coach had prob the worst time management at the end of the game Ive ever seen. I dont know if he thinks he can carry time outs over till the next game or what. Plus your coach was telling everyone after the safety punt to back away from a LIVE ball(which umass recovered). You won this game because our coach is a bonehead and because the heart of your defense.

Eight Legger
October 16th, 2010, 06:45 PM
The free kick was a terrible job by our coaching staff, but I didn't find any fault with the clock management at the end of the game. The last thing we wanted to do was score with 1 minute left and give UMass time to kick a game-winning FG. We got to the 15 yard line with just enough time to run three plays, and we scored on the first one. I'd say that was almost perfect time management.

Green26
October 16th, 2010, 06:46 PM
" Playing without its 1st, 2nd and 3rd string QBs, No. 20 Richmond's defense kept it close and true freshman QB Montel White capped a last-minute drive with a 15-yard TD pass to Tre Gray, spoiling No. 8 UMass Homecoming 11-10."

Gritty win for Richmond.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 16th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I didn't get to watch any of this one, but just looking at stats I'd say Richmond just came in more prepared. UMass, understandably, probably went into the game expecting a win, and Richmond played like they have nothing to lose, because really, they don't. With no experience whatsoever at the QB position plus the other injuries, it wouldn't have been out of the question to predict Richmond to lose out the rest of the season, except for maybe Towson.

UMass just made the biggest, yet most common, mistake in football - they underestimated their opponent.

ur2k
October 16th, 2010, 07:13 PM
You really think so? You won because of your Defense not because of your gameplan. If we knocked it in from the 1 yardline then the game was over. Your coach had prob the worst time management at the end of the game Ive ever seen. I dont know if he thinks he can carry time outs over till the next game or what. Plus your coach was telling everyone after the safety punt to back away from a LIVE ball(which umass recovered). You won this game because our coach is a bonehead and because the heart of your defense.

xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx

Jackman
October 16th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Had nothing to do with underestimating Richmond. Our offense has been screwing around and executing poorly ever since Michigan, and has born no resemblance the impressive offense from the first 3 games of the season. Stony Brook and Towson simply weren't good enough to punish us for it. The combination of Richmond's great defense and the weather finally did. Our offense has been hell bent on throwing away a game and they finally got their wish. Maybe now that we've got it out of our system we can go back to focusing and executing at the level we were at the beginning of the season.

spdram
October 16th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I have seen UMass three times this year and think you are beng to hard on your team and staff. You've got alot of transfers this year, it will be a work in progress all season. Take this loss, go to the drawing boards, and come out better for it. And yes the Spiders Stonewall D is BACK!

umassfan
October 16th, 2010, 08:12 PM
xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx

Tell me im not speaking the truth...

BlueHenSinfonian
October 16th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Had nothing to do with underestimating Richmond. Our offense has been screwing around and executing poorly ever since Michigan, and has born no resemblance the impressive offense from the first 3 games of the season. Stony Brook and Towson simply weren't good enough to punish us for it. The combination of Richmond's great defense and the weather finally did. Our offense has been hell bent on throwing away a game and they finally got their wish. Maybe now that we've got it out of our system we can go back to focusing and executing at the level we were at the beginning of the season.

Do you really think Stony Brook and Towson are that much worse than Richmond without a QB? They didn't throw a pass for three quarters - the only explanation I can think of for UMass's defense letting them get a single first down is that they didn't prepare for the fact that Richmond just might be fielding a heavily run biased offense this week.

UMass922
October 16th, 2010, 08:57 PM
What a horribly, horribly frustrating game that was to watch. Too many mistakes to count, capped off by the kickoff out of bounds that opened the door for Richmond's game-winning TD drive.

Great, great defensive performance by Richmond, though. They kept their team in it until their offense was finally able to make us pay for one of our mistakes.

At least the day was salvaged by the tremendous spirit of the Minuteman band, which made its first performance at home since the passing of Mr. Parks last month. 900+ members in the alumni band--absolutely incredible. The tribute to Parks that was held in the Mullins Center this morning was moving as well.

Jackman
October 16th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Do you really think Stony Brook and Towson are that much worse than Richmond without a QB? They didn't throw a pass for three quarters - the only explanation I can think of for UMass's defense letting them get a single first down is that they didn't prepare for the fact that Richmond just might be fielding a heavily run biased offense this week.

Towson is worse than Richmond even without a QB. They couldn't score on us in 8 quarters unless we handed them points. Stony Brook was about the same overall (better offense, worse defense). Both SB and UR came down to the final possession. The UMass defense held against SB and failed against UR. But to realize how horrifically bad this loss was, you have to understand that Richmond's gameplan was a complete and total punt. They took no risks and made no serious attempt to move the ball until their very last possession, when they had no choice left. It wasn't like they were avoiding passing because their running game was working, they were getting nowhere. Their entire strategy was based on the hope that UMass would hand them the game. And I'm not saying that to be critical. Their situation at QB was the worst I've ever seen, and they had plenty of other injuries. That may have been the best move they could make.

The story of this game though is that UMass handed Richmond 5 free points and then dicked around on offense blowing chance after chance after chance with unforced errors, before giving Richmond the ball with one last shot to score a touchdown and win the game. Richmond finally took that chance, rolled the dice for all of a minute and a half in the entire game, and got the win. Congrats to them. They won fair and square. But there is no chance that strategy would have worked if UMass hadn't played like a bunch of dickheads. Or at a minimum, Richmond would have had to start gambling and forcing their QB into difficult situations earlier in the game. UMass did more to put Richmond in position to win that game than Richmond did. Though again, credit them for making the most out of the opportunity they were given. They still had to drive the ball 60 yards (thanks to yet another botched kickoff). I shudder to think how UMass would perform under Richmond's circumstances. Ultimately I'm pissed mostly because Richmond based everything on UMass being too incompetent to beat them outright, and we proved them absolutely right. This is the worst UMass loss I can think of because Richmond didn't even try to win that game until the last 1:50.

wr70beh
October 17th, 2010, 08:09 AM
According to the play-by-play, Richmond only went back to pass twice before their last drive of the game: one was an incomplete pass in the 3rd quarter, and the other was a sack and a fumble lost in the 2nd quarter. I missed this game completely because I was called into work, but I kept getting text messages with the score. I'm proud of this team this week.

ur2k
October 17th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Towson is worse than Richmond even without a QB. They couldn't score on us in 8 quarters unless we handed them points. Stony Brook was about the same overall (better offense, worse defense). Both SB and UR came down to the final possession. The UMass defense held against SB and failed against UR. But to realize how horrifically bad this loss was, you have to understand that Richmond's gameplan was a complete and total punt. They took no risks and made no serious attempt to move the ball until their very last possession, when they had no choice left. It wasn't like they were avoiding passing because their running game was working, they were getting nowhere. Their entire strategy was based on the hope that UMass would hand them the game. And I'm not saying that to be critical. Their situation at QB was the worst I've ever seen, and they had plenty of other injuries. That may have been the best move they could make.

The story of this game though is that UMass handed Richmond 5 free points and then dicked around on offense blowing chance after chance after chance with unforced errors, before giving Richmond the ball with one last shot to score a touchdown and win the game. Richmond finally took that chance, rolled the dice for all of a minute and a half in the entire game, and got the win. Congrats to them. They won fair and square. But there is no chance that strategy would have worked if UMass hadn't played like a bunch of dickheads. Or at a minimum, Richmond would have had to start gambling and forcing their QB into difficult situations earlier in the game. UMass did more to put Richmond in position to win that game than Richmond did. Though again, credit them for making the most out of the opportunity they were given. They still had to drive the ball 60 yards (thanks to yet another botched kickoff). I shudder to think how UMass would perform under Richmond's circumstances. Ultimately I'm pissed mostly because Richmond based everything on UMass being too incompetent to beat them outright, and we proved them absolutely right. This is the worst UMass loss I can think of because Richmond didn't even try to win that game until the last 1:50.

Quote from Coach Scott:

"They stoned one of the best rushing attacks in the country the entire game," Scott said. "We told the defense coming into today, 'Guys, give us the opportunity to hang around.' We said, 'There may not be a lot of points scored today.'"

Sounds like a plan to me. We uglied up the game and somehow came out on top.