PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 8

carney2
October 16th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Week 8:

The League season begins in earnest. “We can still win the League” will begin its journey to the dumpster for all but one.

BUCKNELL @ LEHIGH

HOLY CROSS @ COLGATE

GEORGETOWN @ Sacred Heart

LAFAYETTE @ FORDHAM

Patriot League vs. OOC = 12-21

vs. Big East: 0-1
vs. Big South: 1-0
vs. CAA: 1-3
vs. Ivy: 6-11
vs. MEAC: 1-0
vs. NEC: 1-3
vs. Northeast 10 (D-2): 0-1
vs. Pioneer: 2-1
vs. SoCon: 0-1

RECORDS/STANDINGS*:

League/Overall

Colgate 1-0/4-2
Lehigh 1-0/4-2
Bucknell 1-0/1-5
Georgetown 2-2/3-4
Holy Cross 1-1/3-4
Lafayette 0-1/1-5
Fordham 0-2/2-5

*Pick ‘em includes Fordham in League standings without regard to Patriot League eligibility rules.

DFW HOYA
October 16th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Sacred Heart may be a very popular pick this upcoming week.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 16th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Sacred Heart may be a very popular pick this upcoming week.

This looks like the Hoyas last chance for a "W" this year. I wasn't sold by their 3-1 start and picked Bucknell today. The Hoyas still have a long way to go. I doubt they would beat Lafayette and/or Yale if they played them again. With that said, a 4 win season would still be a huge improvement for the Hoyas.

DFW HOYA
October 16th, 2010, 05:55 PM
This looks like the Hoyas last chance for a "W" this year. I wasn't sold by their 3-1 start and picked Bucknell today. The Hoyas still have a long way to go. I doubt they would beat Lafayette and/or Yale if they played them again. With that said, a 4 win season would still be a huge improvement for the Hoyas.
Not enough at this point and 3-8 is not out of the question. This team has done a complete 180 and are playing like an 0-11 team and staff.

carney2
October 16th, 2010, 07:30 PM

Throwing out a quote that is used often on this board, "You are what your record says you are." Right now the Hoyas are a 3 win and almost a .500 team. I am impressed with the 2010 turnaround.

DFW HOYA
October 16th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Throwing out a quote that is used often on this board, "You are what your record says you are." Right now the Hoyas are a 3 win and almost a .500 team. I am impressed with the 2010 turnaround.

I would not agree. Over the last three games, this team is coaching and playing like it's 2009. It's given up eight TD's in the last six games from (mostly QB) turnovers.

Capable of better? Sure. Not realizing it of late, however.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 16th, 2010, 09:09 PM
By any measure, the Hoyas are a better team than as far back as I can remember. This is a team that is six seconds and two turnovers away from being 6-1. Yeas the record is what it is and it's damned frustrating to lose two straight games like this, but don't lose sight that Georgetown has improved massively.

Sader87
October 16th, 2010, 09:12 PM
GTown sucks and so do we (and the rest of the PL).

ColgateTD
October 17th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Lehigh - 'Gineers continue the mo from Haavad Yaad.
Georgetown - Gonna give DFW one last chance; team is better than he thinks.
Lafayette - I'm on Carney's bandwagon now; 'Pards on a roll.
Colgate - Back at ya' Sader87; Eachus may find the going slightly tougher than Cornell....but should deliver.

carney2
October 17th, 2010, 11:07 AM

This is me ignoring this guy.

carney2
October 17th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Lafayette - I'm on Carney's bandwagon now; 'Pards on a roll.

Lafayette found its missing mojo - all of it - against Stony Brook, but I am personally holding off on this pick until the QB situation is resolved. Starter, Ryan O'Neil suffered a head injury in the 4th quarter vs. Stony Brook and was lifted for senior, Marc Quilling. Marc has not given a good account of himself in his 4 starts, and threw an almost interception in the end zone yesterday that would have killed a significant drive. (The defender was ruled to have caught the ball out of bounds.) The questions are

Did Lafayette make a season saving turnaround or was this an anomaly? (It looked like a turnaround to me.)

Will O'Neil play? (If yes, the smart money is on Lafayette.)

If Quilling gets the call, can he get it done?

CFBfan
October 17th, 2010, 12:06 PM
you left out yourself 87

Pard4Life
October 17th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Quilling is a decent QB but I have no confidence in him to win a game against a team that matters.

Go...gate
October 17th, 2010, 06:16 PM

Agreed. A much improved club.

ivyfan
October 17th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Lehigh / Harvard game was decided by the ref that called the H TD catch O.B. , the receiver clearly had control and both feet inbounds. Replay film showed this to be the case, it wasn’t even close. The ref was standing right in front of the play. Where do they find these guys? Lehigh did scorch the H defense in Q3 but to have an idiot decide the outcome of the game like this is cruel. Both teams deserve much better than this!

Franks Tanks
October 17th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Lafayette found its missing mojo - all of it - against Stony Brook, but I am personally holding off on this pick until the QB situation is resolved. Starter, Ryan O'Neil suffered a head injury in the 4th quarter vs. Stony Brook and was lifted for senior, Marc Quilling. Marc has not given a good account of himself in his 4 starts, and threw an almost interception in the end zone yesterday that would have killed a significant drive. (The defender was ruled to have caught the ball out of bounds.) The questions are

Did Lafayette make a season saving turnaround or was this an anomaly? (It looked like a turnaround to me.)

Will O'Neil play? (If yes, the smart money is on Lafayette.)

If Quilling gets the call, can he get it done?

I really hate being critical of individual players, but we cant win with Quilling. He locks in on one reciver and throws him the ball whether he is open or not.

He was dreadful against Georgetown and Penn, and threw one to the other team on the second pass he attempted. If O'Neill cant play I think we should go with Shoop...unless Layton can also play QB.

CFBfan
October 18th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Not enough at this point and 3-8 is not out of the question. This team has done a complete 180 and are playing like an 0-11 team and staff.
it's time for the head coach (kelly) and the assistant head coach (sgarlatta) to go!!! enough is enough
the early season turnaround and energy is attributable to the new coaches, specifically the O coordinator and the d line coach by way of BC then Hofstra
Make the Change!!!!!!!!!

CFBfan
October 18th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Lehigh / Harvard game was decided by the ref that called the H TD catch O.B. , the receiver clearly had control and both feet inbounds. Replay film showed this to be the case, it wasn’t even close. The ref was standing right in front of the play. Where do they find these guys? Lehigh did scorch the H defense in Q3 but to have an idiot decide the outcome of the game like this is cruel. Both teams deserve much better than this!

ha!!! you tell me where they find them: the refs that have worked the GU games have been so patheticly bad it would take pages to capture
does the PL have any clue?? it's a shame when these kids work their butts off all week long, many not for "money" but simple becasue they love the game and then these moorons show up in ref uniforms and screw them week after week
Can't the PL or IL do something about this???

letsgopards04
October 18th, 2010, 06:49 AM
I really hate being critical of individual players, but we cant win with Quilling. He locks in on one reciver and throws him the ball whether he is open or not.

He was dreadful against Georgetown and Penn, and threw one to the other team on the second pass he attempted. If O'Neill cant play I think we should go with Shoop...unless Layton can also play QB.

I vote Layton in the Wildcat. I am sure he can throw short passes.

letsgopards04
October 18th, 2010, 06:52 AM
BUCKNELL @ LEHIGH - -Lehigh looking tough despite Bucknell coming off a W.

HOLY CROSS @ COLGATE

LAFAYETTE @ FORDHAM - Lafayette getting it going. Who knows maybe they will finish with its standard 6-5 or 7-5 record.

CFBfan
October 18th, 2010, 06:52 AM

what happened to O'Neill? he looked like the real deal

Bogus Megapardus
October 18th, 2010, 06:58 AM
what happened to O'Neill? he looked like the real deal

O'Neil got his bell rung and was pulled late in the 4th for Quilling as a result. The trainer said it was a close call but they still have to monitor him for a concussion.

Look - Richmond won this week with no quarterback - I hear they played wildcat the entire game. If Quilling is not the answer, at least the Pards have Shoop and supposedly some kind of extra-large freshman phenom nobody has seen yet.

For all I know O'Neil could be cleared to play next week.

carney2
October 18th, 2010, 07:55 AM
O'Neil got his bell rung and was pulled late in the 4th for Quilling as a result. The trainer said it was a close call but they still have to monitor him for a concussion.

The (Allentown) Morning Call's Paul Reinhard, a really good source of information on Lafayette football, quotes Tavani as saying that O'Neil looked very good on Sunday morning with no signs of headaches. No one will know much more until Tuesday"s practice.

I'm still not convinced that O'Neil is the "real deal" as someone described him. Things have been so bad elsewhere with this team up to Stony Brook that O'Neil's pluses and minuses have been masked. I do note however, that there is a serious drop in effectiveness when the backups are out there. Having said that, I'm not so sure that, if the rest of the team has made the turnaround that they appeared to have made on Saturday, Quilling is not up to the task at Fordham and Bucknell. It would be a more conservative offense, but the O-line really took control in the 4th quarter vs. Stony Brook so I have reasonable hope. Besides, the League deciders have turned Fordham into a throw away game. It doesn't count for much of anything this year. The biggest risk with holding O'Neil out this week is that it potentially damages any momentum that might have begun against the Seawolves.

CFBfan
October 18th, 2010, 08:10 AM
The (Allentown) Morning Call's Paul Reinhard, a really good source of information on Lafayette football, quotes Tavani as saying that O'Neil looked very good on Sunday morning with no signs of headaches. No one will know much more until Tuesday"s practice.

I'm still not convinced that O'Neil is the "real deal" as someone described him. Things have been so bad elsewhere with this team up to Stony Brook that O'Neil's pluses and minuses have been masked. I do note however, that there is a serious drop in effectiveness when the backups are out there. Having said that, I'm not so sure that, if the rest of the team has made the turnaround that they appeared to have made on Saturday, Quilling is not up to the task at Fordham and Bucknell. It would be a more conservative offense, but the O-line really took control in the 4th quarter vs. Stony Brook so I have reasonable hope. Besides, the League deciders have turned Fordham into a throw away game. It doesn't count for much of anything this year. The biggest risk with holding O'Neil out this week is that it potentially damages any momentum that might have begun against the Seawolves.

Carney I don't know about Fordham but having seen Bucknell I promise you that your Pards will run all over them all day long, I could qb that game (and I assure you that that is a scary thought!!)

Lehigh Football Nation
October 18th, 2010, 09:10 AM

I watched the game online, and it seemed to me like the Harvard receiver caught the ball with both feet in the air, mid-stride, and his left foot came down out of bounds. A close play, surely, but I thought it was the right call.

jimbo65
October 18th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Mountain Hawks soar over Bison
Raiders sack Crusaders
Gtown wins again
Rams & Leopards are two struggling programs. Since the game is at Fordham & I am attending, pick the Rams to win. The best weapon we had v. Yale was their inept place kicker. As another poster wrote about the absence of quality QBs in the PL this year, John Skelton likely made up for many deficiencies over the past two years. We were 10-12 with him and are looking at a 4 win season this year.

carney2
October 18th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Rams & Leopards are two struggling programs.

For anyone that has been out of the loop, the Pards played a heluva game on Saturday. If that was breakout Saturday, they may be "struggling" no more. That, in any event, is the fervent hope of all in Leopardland.

RichH2
October 18th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Lu close over BU , O better but still nowhere near good yet.LU D should control Bison. If BU had a qb that could pass it wiould be very close.
Pards over Rams. FU D is quite poor even if athletic. O can score. Pard D should keep Rams down a bit. If LC has a qb game s/b easy win. If not could go either way.
GU should be back in win column.
Gate will beat Cross, altho score might be closer than they think.

TheValleyRaider
October 18th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Just when I think I have this league all figured out, everything goes crazy, and I wind up with a 2-4 week. Down to 22-17 overall this year

Bucknell at Lehigh Lehigh Nice win for the Hawks in Cambridge, and as a reward, they get the struggling Bison. I choose not to be fooled by Bucknell's win, as they've got enough of a prior record to keep my attention. Hawks at home to set up one half of what could be the League title game

Holy Cross at Colgate Colgate Right now, the Raiders are rolling. Some of it is certainly the opposition, but you'll have to convince me what about the Crusaders says they're really all that much better than Georgtown/Princeton/Cornell right now. I'm sure they're tired of hearing it (though since we're playing I don't really care), but Randolph was the difference-maker last year. This time, there is no Randolph

Georgetown at Sacred Heart Georgetown It feels a bit strange picking the Hoyas all these weeks in a row, though I'm starting to lose confidence. Honestly, this is a League homer pick, as I don't really know anything about Sacred Heart. Hoya Saxa!

Lafayette at Fordham Lafayette This is actually the toughest game to predict, as Lafayette showed real life last weekend, while Fordham is nearly impossible to keep track of. I'm defaulting to the fact that when the year started, I thought Lafayette was the better team, so I'll stick with it, though in a different mood, I could see taking the Rams at home

carney2
October 19th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Two gimme games, and two that could be competitive.

BUCKNELL @ LEHIGH
Lehigh. Both coming off big wins, but the feeling persists that the League schedulers have hung out a piñata for the ChickenSquawks this week. This could be ugly.

HOLY CROSS @ COLGATE
Colgate. The Crossers have life, but you won’t be able to tell in this one. Not expecting them to finish within 14 of the Raiders who seem to be picking up steam now that the big kids on their schedule are in the rear view mirror.

Georgetown. The fearsome pronouns (Hoyas) hit a bump in the road last week. It still looks like they have too much for 1-6 Sacred Heart. Cheer up, DFW, 3 wins, maybe 4, with 2 in the League and maybe even .500 after 8 games. Would you have dared to dream it two short months ago?

LAFAYETTE @ FORDHAM
Lafayette. If Lafayette morphed into a real team last Saturday this is a good pick no matter who starts at QB. If not, it probably goes the other way. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers!

ngineer
October 19th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Lehigh should be building off of the big win at Harvard. Bison got a little spring in their step as their "whole new season" begins. Homecoming and nice weather should mean a good crowd and some real excitement. Offense will want to show that last week's outburst not a freak. Lehigh 35-14.

Colgate's ground attack is on all 8 cylinders. Crusaders will not be able to stop. Could be high scoring affair for a while, but Raiders prevail, 34-24.

Georgetown really needs a win to keep their season headed toward positive territory. Heart should be Scared. Hoyas, 24-14.

IF Lafayette is finally getting it together, they will take down the Rams even though in the Bronx. Fordham's mobile QB can create problems, but I think Leopards have an overall better team from what I have seen. Puddytats, 24-21.

Currently 29-10 on the season.

van
October 19th, 2010, 02:52 PM
My picks were going south a few weeks back, so I put my self on IR. But big win at Cambridge last week has healed me so here goes:

BUCKNELL @ LEHIGH Now that the Harvard announcers have re-instated the engineers we are back on track. Lehigh has learned how to win the close ones, now it's time to learn how to not make it close and win by 3 scores.

HOLY CROSS @ COLGATE I'll be rooting for the Saders, but gotta pick the home team in this one.

Hoyas found a way to lose and may have regressed to their old selves, but even the old Hoyas should win this one.

LAFAYETTE @ FORDHAM
Not sure either of these two deserve to win, only a tie seems fitting! I will go with the pards on the strength of the head coach match up.

Ivytalk
October 19th, 2010, 03:04 PM

Agreed. I hate to pull the "sour grapes" thing, but Harvard was denied by the striped douchebag. Its pass defense was subpar due to injuries, but we should have had the W in the end.

Anyway, back to the theme:

Lehigh
Colgate
Georgetown
Lafayette

CFBfan
October 19th, 2010, 03:05 PM
My picks were going south a few weeks back, so I put my self on IR. But big win at Cambridge last week has healed me so here goes:

BUCKNELL @ LEHIGH Now that the Harvard announcers have re-instated the engineers we are back on track. Lehigh has learned how to win the close ones, now it's time to learn how to not make it close and win by 3 scores.

HOLY CROSS @ COLGATE I'll be rooting for the Saders, but gotta pick the home team in this one.

Hoyas found a way to lose and may have regressed to their old selves, but even the old Hoyas should win this one.

LAFAYETTE @ FORDHAM
Not sure either of these two deserve to win, only a tie seems fitting! I will go with the pards on the strength of the head coach match up.

i'm curious here with no dog in this race is the "coach pick" and endorsement for Tavini or an indictment of Macella?h

'Gate93
October 19th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Bucknell @ Lehigh
Bucknell's offense seems nonexistent. Despite a recent win, my guess is team morale isn't far behind.
ENGINEERS 28, BISON 9

Holy Cross @ Colgate
The Crusaders will be the Raiders' first solid opponent in 3 weeks. 'Gate's defense against Princeton and Cornell was mind-boggling, but HC will have much better luck and will create some offense, particularly due to costly Raider penalties and inopportune fumbles. However, the quadrella of Sullivan, Rosnick, Eachus and Jackson should prevail.
RAIDERS 33, CRUSADERS 24

Georgetown @ Sacred Heart
The Hoyas have lost some "heart" breakers but should top the Pioneers, even though it's Homecoming weekend in Fairfield.
HOYAS 27, PIONEERS 19

Lafayette @ Fordham
Not too long ago, these teams were on the rise. Now they've fallen, and even schollies aren't helping one of them. I don't care how new they are to the program, I would expect the hype to live up to something in the post-Skelton era. If not, here's hoping there's some home cooking in da Bronx.
RAMS 24, LEOPARDS 21

heath
October 19th, 2010, 08:23 PM
For anyone that has been out of the loop, the Pards played a heluva game on Saturday. If that was breakout Saturday, they may be "struggling" no more. That, in any event, is the fervent hope of all in Leopardland.
Its amazing seeing the LU fans post this week after a win,the 1st of the year.Hope your not setting yourself up for a heartbreak,but have seen stranger things happen.Would nice if you guys came around and made the 146th legit.

Bogus Megapardus
October 19th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Its amazing seeing the LU fans post this week after a win,the 1st of the year.Hope your not setting yourself up for a heartbreak,but have seen stranger things happen.Would nice if you guys came around and made the 146th legit.

I pay no attention to what LU fans post. They can't spell anyhow. It's LC that I'm concerned with.

letsgopards04
October 20th, 2010, 06:39 AM
[/U][/B]

i'm curious here with no dog in this race is the "coach pick" and endorsement for Tavini or an indictment of Macella?h

I don't think anyone doubts Tavani as a good coach and superb motivator. Sub-par recruiting (as evident in the Patsy Ratings) is what has done this team in.

Bogus Megapardus
October 20th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Patriot & Ivy lines:

Penn (-3) at Yale

Brown (-18) vs Cornell

Lehigh (-21.5) vs Bucknell

Harvard (-10) at Princeton

Colgate (-18.5) vs Holy Cross

Fordham (-8) vs Lafayette

Georgetown (-1) at Sacred Heart

Columbia (-6.5) vs Dartmouth

kDex86
October 20th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Ouch. Went 1-5 last week, down to 24-15 on the season.

Lehigh
Colgate
Georgetown
Lafayette

LU65
October 20th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Going with all the home-standing teams

Fordham 24
Lafayette 21

The Rams return home after three weeks on the road - dropping all three by 5, 4, and 1 point. Would think the team would be out to prove that their loss to Assumption - that one at home - was a fluke and that they're at least Lafayette's equal. Look for their band of wide receivers to have a good day in the Leopard secondary. Hey, they did beat Rhode Island.

Sacred Heart 21
Georgetown 17

The Hoyas have given up 80 points in the last three weeks and have scored but 40. Few remain on the bandwagon. While the Pioneers are 1-6, they can score, averaging 19 points/game, and take to the air with ease, averaging 233 yds/game passing. Which, by the way is what G'town yields to its opponents thru the air each week, i.e., 223.4 y/game.

Colgate 42
Holy Cross 14

If Fordham and Dartmouth can ring-up 31 and 27, respectively on the Crusaders, just imagine what Eachus and Co. are capable of doing.

Lehigh 28
Bucknell 10

Coen captures their attention and the team puts off thoughts of Colgate for 24 hours. Interested in seeing if LU can get its running game going. It comes into the contest ranked last in the PL with 82.3 yds/game. Bucknell's rushing defense, on the other hand, is ranked 1st yielding just 133.1 yds/game. Oddity: The team from Lewisburg has put up 37 of its 82 points (45%) in the second 15 minutes of play this year.

ngineer
October 20th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Patriot & Ivy lines:

Penn (-3) at Yale

Brown (-18) vs Cornell

-21.5 to Bucknell??? Wow. Even a homer such as I wouldn't give that many.

CFBfan
October 20th, 2010, 01:13 PM
The Hoyas have given up 80 points in the last three weeks and have scored but 40. Few remain on the bandwagon. While the Pioneers are 1-6, they can score, averaging 19 points/game, and take to the air with ease, averaging 233 yds/game passing. Which, by the way is what G'town yields to its opponents thru the air each week, i.e., 223.4 y/game.

I do think that you should factor in that Colgate was 1 of the 3 games accounting for 34 points and in the other 2 the GU offense gave 2 pics for TD's and Special teams gave a way points. In those 2 games (Wagner and Bucknell) the opponent was more in line with Sacred Heart than Colgate and the "D" only gave up 14 in each of those, but........what do I know??!!

CFBfan
October 20th, 2010, 01:14 PM
-21.5 to Bucknell??? Wow. Even a homer such as I wouldn't give that many.
Give the points!! your D will shout them out

carney2
October 20th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Patriot & Ivy lines:

Penn (-3) at Yale

Brown (-18) vs Cornell

I'm breaking the kids' piggy banks to get in on some of this.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 20th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I'm breaking the kids' piggy banks to get in on some of this.

Penn -3 at Yale? If this is anything less than a 3 TD win by the Quakers color me shocked.

I like Laf +8 a lot, too. What did Fordham do lately to deserve being an 8 point favorite?

Too bad I don't gamble.

LU65
October 20th, 2010, 03:36 PM

I do think that you should factor in that Colgate was 1 of the 3 games accounting for 34 points and in the other 2 the GU offense gave 2 pics for TD's and Special teams gave a way points. In those 2 games (Wagner and Bucknell) the opponent was more in line with Sacred Heart than Colgate and the "D" only gave up 14 in each of those, but........what do I know??!!

All good points, especially the part about Wagner and Bucknell being more in line with SH. Against Wagner, G't managed to score but one touchdown and generate only 208 yards of total offense. And, they were the bene of 4 qb picks in that game. What has happened to the team that put up 358 yards of offense against Holy Cross and 443 yards against Yale. No, I just don't see G't winning this weekend. Hey, it's Family Weekend up in Stamford, too. A vote for the Pioneers.

UAalum72
October 20th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Hey, it's Family Weekend up in Stamford, too.That won't help much, but if you're going to the game it's also Family Weekend 20 miles away on the main campus in Fairfield.

CFBfan
October 20th, 2010, 07:12 PM
All good points, especially the part about Wagner and Bucknell being more in line with SH. Against Wagner, G't managed to score but one touchdown and generate only 208 yards of total offense. And, they were the bene of 4 qb picks in that game. What has happened to the team that put up 358 yards of offense against Holy Cross and 443 yards against Yale. No, I just don't see G't winning this weekend. Hey, it's Family Weekend up in Stamford, too. A vote for the Pioneers.

what has happend happened to that team/offense?!?!
i find it curious/frustrating that #22 ran the ball very well in early games and hasn't gotten any touches and very few plays the last few and he is healthy.
the O is not using it's playmakers like it did early on, why is a great question AND starting at Colgate they decided to play with the QB position AGAIN!! very frustrating especialy after their starter is awarded the PL offensive player of the TWICE!!!!
it really is time for the Head Coach and Assistant Head Coach to GO!!!!

DFW HOYA
October 20th, 2010, 07:31 PM
CFB, I'm not sure what your complaint is with asst coach Rob Sgarlata; the defense is about where it was in the beginning of the season, and may have improved slightly.

On the other hand, the offense, (particularly the QB instability and Oladeji's disappearance from the stat sheet), is a point of concern with this team right now.

CFBfan
October 21st, 2010, 08:27 AM
CFB, I'm not sure what your complaint is with asst coach Rob Sgarlata; the defense is about where it was in the beginning of the season, and may have improved slightly.

On the other hand, the offense, (particularly the QB instability and Oladeji's disappearance from the stat sheet), is a point of concern with this team right now.

fair poinys DFW. However, up until this year he ran a ridiculous scheme with a nickle as the base D while haviing a small D line, that meant only 2 backers. It was changed this year but not because of him and the D calls the last few weeks have been very questionable, for example 3rd and long last week in the 4th quarter against Bucknell, the entire stadium and certainly all the players know that a QB draw is coming and instead up bring up his inside LB's he calls a corner blitz and what happens....QB draw, 1st down Bucknell and game over. There are many more examples but I'm sure no one wants to read it. of course all this is just my opinion.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 21st, 2010, 01:36 PM
Just finished my Lehigh/Bucknell preview:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2010/10/game-preview-bucknell-at-lehigh.html

Big point of emphasis: Lehigh is 0-0 in the PL, Bucknell is 1-0. No sleeping in front of stampeding Bison allowed for Lehigh.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 21st, 2010, 06:27 PM
3-3 last week to bring my record to 23-16 overall, yuck

Colgate 35 Holy Cross 21
Lafayette 27 Fordham 24
Georgetown 20 Sacred Heart 13
Lehigh 38 Bucknell 17 - Lehigh has dominated this series for over a decade. There's no reason to believe that changes on Saturday.

Go...gate
October 21st, 2010, 08:46 PM
Colgate 27 Holy Cross 24

Lafayette 37 Fordham 21

Georgetown 24 Sacred Heart 22

Lehigh 33 Bucknell 17

carney2
October 22nd, 2010, 11:19 AM
A lot of love for the Leopards here. Is anyone aware that

Lafayette is 1-5?

Lafayette has spent large chunks of this season almost literally not showing up?

The Lafayette starting QB is listed as questionable and may not play?

Sagarin has this as Fordham by 15?

The betting line is Fordham by 8?

Now, I picked Lafayette, but I am generally acknowledged on this board as being not too bright. As for the rest of you,...

Lehigh Football Nation
October 22nd, 2010, 01:38 PM

Lafayette is 1-5?

Lafayette has spent large chunks of this season almost literally not showing up?

Now, I picked Lafayette, but I am generally acknowledged on this board as being not too bright. As for the rest of you,...

Have you seen the way Fordham has been losing?

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2010, 02:04 PM
Mountain Hawks soar over Bison
Raiders sack Crusaders
Gtown wins again
Rams & Leopards are two struggling programs. Since the game is at Fordham & I am attending, pick the Rams to win. The best weapon we had v. Yale was their inept place kicker. As another poster wrote about the absence of quality QBs in the PL this year, John Skelton likely made up for many deficiencies over the past two years. We were 10-12 with him and are looking at a 4 win season this year.

Fordham's starting QB left the field on crutches last week at Yale. I thought he was pretty good, despite the lack of scoring. He was the only running attack they had. Any word on his injury?

LU65
October 22nd, 2010, 02:57 PM

Lafayette is 1-5?

'Gate 93, bulldog10jw, and I seem to be the only Ram backers out there.

Carney, I can't see your beloved Leopards winning this one. If anger can translate into desire and that into production, Fordham should come out on top this week. Consider how their qb, Blake Wayne, must feel after passing for 804 yards in the last three games and rushing for another 183 himself - only to lose them all - and the game before that, too! And, how about coming off a loss last week after generating 308 yards of offense and 20 first downs and not be able to push it in from the Yale one yard line to take the lead - that due to a penalty. With Quilling listed as the Leopard's starter and Wayne slated to begin the game under center for the Rams (Fordham Game Notes), I'll take my chances with the home-standing team.

Go...gate
October 22nd, 2010, 03:01 PM

Lafayette is 1-5?

Who cares about an FCS betting line? Fordham seems like a troubled program right now. You guys have stumbled and played poorly at times, but it is a long season, and Tavani is great at getting his players motivated, even in bad situations. I think it perfectly reasonable that you can win by sixteen, thus my pick.

CrusaderBob
October 22nd, 2010, 03:25 PM
2 - 4 Last Week using the collective "wisdom" of the board.

22 - 17 on the season.

My I give up method of of the week:

- Wrote each match-up on a piece of paper. One team on the top half. One team on the bottom half.
- Randomly rotated and mixed the papers up face down so I wouldn't know which was which and which team was on the top half and which was on the bottom half.
- Taped them face down to a dart board,
- Literally threw darts at the sheets of paper.
- Closest to the dart gets the pick.

Here we go and I swear this is how it worked out with one throw at each match-up.

Lehigh over Bucknell - probably would have picked this.

Holy Cross over Colgate - probably would not have picked even with my dark purple glasses on!

Sacred Heart over Georgetown - probably would not have picked this.

Lafayette over Fordham - this one is a toss up in my mind, so anything I would have picked would have been like chucking darts anyway.

Bogus Megapardus
October 22nd, 2010, 06:20 PM
Bucknell at Lehigh - So much I expected from Joe Susan's Bison this year! My, have they disappointed. The win at Georgetown last week appears to have been quite a frolicsome affair with the Lewisburgers pulling it off defensively at the last second. This one will never be close enough for such heroics. Lehigh 35-14

Holy Cross at Colgate - The Ryan Taggart-led Crusaders are playing roughly as well as Lafayette this season, which means they're . . . ummm . . . not so good. Unless the Worcester crew can bolt a set of training wheels to Nate Eachus' wagon, this looks to be little more than a warm-up for the Raiders' foray into Bethlehem next week. Holy Cross isn't really a bad team at all - they just don't seem to have the goods to match a seasoned and determined Colgate side. Colgate 38-21

Georgetown at Sacred Heart - The 1-6 Pioneers won their opener, a 28-25 nail-biter over Marist. A very strong showing against Bobby Mo featured a fourth quarter Sacred Heart collapse (similar to the Marist game) that was followed by a humiliating 41-0 defeat at St. Francis. Sacred Heart held its own over the next three until their total breakdown last week at Duquesne. On the other hand, opponents now seem to have figured out the new-fangled Georgetown offense that led to its earlier wins. The nadir came with a late interception last week vs. Bucknell in a game the Hoyas should have won. The Hoyas continue to play well but appear to be more predictable. I'm going to be a Patriot League homer here. Georgetown, 27-21

Lafayette at Fordham - The have-nots vs. the also-rans. Ugh. The Pardsvillian Puppeteers take their road circus to the Bronx having finally won a game last week, but they might be without starting QB Ryan O'Neil, one of the consistent bright spots for the Leopards this season. Senior QB Marc Quilling has some game experience and will fill in if O'Neil is held out. By the same token, Fordham's dynamic sophomore QB Blake Wayne was seen on crutches last week at Yale after a knee injury but the game notes suggest he will start nonetheless. We shall see. 6-5 TE Stephen Skelton will be tough to get down for tackling-challenged Lafayette LBs if he gets his hands on the ball early and often. Bogus homerism prevails, I think, when Quilling runs a two-point conversion early to inspire the later win. Lafayette 22-21

DFW HOYA
October 22nd, 2010, 09:41 PM
Georgetown at Sacred Heart ... On the other hand, opponents now seem to have figured out the new-fangled Georgetown offense that led to its earlier wins.

Actually, the offense being run of late does not utilize the earlier offense, and appears to harken back to its 2008-09 offensive sets. Go figure...

Bogus Megapardus
October 22nd, 2010, 10:07 PM
Update - The Fordham/Lafayette game will be on ESPN3, in addition to the usual RCN/Comcast/Channel 60 outlets. For anyone wishing to subject themselves to lesser and lesserer, that is.

Broadcast/Web updates for other PL games, anyone?

EDIT - it appears that Fordham/Lafayette will be the only FCS game on ESPN3 this weekend. Props to the Lafayette Sports Network for getting the job done in a polished, professional manner consistent with ESPN's high standards of broadcast quality. And thanks to the broadcasting crew of Gary Laubach, Mike Joseph and John Leone for their unflinching objectivity with every call. xrolleyesx

Bogus Megapardus
October 22nd, 2010, 10:10 PM
Actually, the offense being run of late does not utilize the earlier offense, and appears to harken back to its 2008-09 offensive sets. Go figure...

So does that mean QB draws on third-and-long? What happened?

DFW HOYA
October 22nd, 2010, 11:11 PM
So does that mean QB draws on third-and-long? What happened?

I wish I knew. This was the team that ran 14 straight times against Wagner to open the second half for a total of 31 yards, then came back the next week and didn't give a single carry to its leading rusher. Against winless Bucknell, the QB-led running game carried for just 41 yards and the Hoyas had just 21:16 in time of possession. Stranger yet, Georgetown has given up untouched pick-six touchdowns to lose each of the last two games.

As of Thursday, Kevin Kelly said that no decision was reached to start Darby (who runs more than he throws) or Kempf (who throws more than he runs) and a decision will not come until game time.

Leopard Loyalist
October 22nd, 2010, 11:30 PM
Lehigh 28 Bucknell 10
Colgate 34 Holy Cross 17
Georgetown 21 Sacred Heart 10
Lafayette 24 Fordham 21

22-17 on the season. I have been neither lucky nor perspicacious.

CFBfan
October 23rd, 2010, 06:45 AM
I wish I knew. This was the team that ran 14 straight times against Wagner to open the second half for a total of 31 yards, then came back the next week and didn't give a single carry to its leading rusher. Against winless Bucknell, the QB-led running game carried for just 41 yards and the Hoyas had just 21:16 in time of possession. Stranger yet, Georgetown has given up untouched pick-six touchdowns to lose each of the last two games.

As of Thursday, Kevin Kelly said that no decision was reached to start Darby (who runs more than he throws) or Kempf (who throws more than he runs) and a decision will not come until game time.

It is sadly apparent that Kelly is in over his head as HC. I'm sure he was/is a very good position coach but he can't handle the head job. From poor game and clock management to sideline temper tantrums aimed at both his players at times and officials that result in foolish penalties to another absurd game of shuffle the QB's to questionable personnel decisions to players on the O visibly frustrated over their lack of use or others frustrated by what they see AND at the end of the day as HC he MUST take responsibility for some less than intelligent play calling for at least 4 weeks now. Throw that in the pot, mix it all togehter and you get an anemic offense and a defense that is forced to be on the field WAY TOO LONG!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 23rd, 2010, 07:22 AM
And thanks to the broadcasting crew of Gary Laubach, Mike Joseph and John Leone for their unflinching objectivity with every call. xrolleyesx

Serious props to LSN. But this last statement made me laugh, really, really hard. xlolx

Bogus Megapardus
October 23rd, 2010, 07:46 AM
Serious props to LSN. But this last statement made me laugh, really, really hard. xlolx

The classical literature professors on College Hill really do a great job with the crew. In fact, they're required to study Homer before each game. We wouldn't have it any other way.

Bogus Megapardus
October 23rd, 2010, 08:52 AM
Further TV update - the Lafayette/Fordham game is also on ESPN GamePlan (in addition to ESPN3) so it it available on Dish Network/DirecTV everywhere.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 23rd, 2010, 09:27 AM
My picks are up:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2010/10/week-8-football-predictions-10232010.html

5-1 last week. Again, Lafayette, I'm counting on you.

ngineer
October 24th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Lehigh game the only one I got right this week. Drops me to 30-13. Hard to believe Raiders didn't win at home.

CrusaderBob
October 25th, 2010, 10:12 AM
2 - 4 Last Week using the collective "wisdom" of the board.

22 - 17 on the season.

My I give up method of of the week:

- Wrote each match-up on a piece of paper. One team on the top half. One team on the bottom half.
- Randomly rotated and mixed the papers up face down so I wouldn't know which was which and which team was on the top half and which was on the bottom half.
- Taped them face down to a dart board,
- Literally threw darts at the sheets of paper.
- Closest to the dart gets the pick.

Here we go and I swear this is how it worked out with one throw at each match-up.

Lehigh over Bucknell - probably would have picked this.

Holy Cross over Colgate - probably would not have picked even with my dark purple glasses on!

Sacred Heart over Georgetown - probably would not have picked this.

Lafayette over Fordham - this one is a toss up in my mind, so anything I would have picked would have been like chucking darts anyway.

WOW! 3 -1!!!

My dart board is now available for stock tips!

CrusaderBob
October 25th, 2010, 10:33 AM
BTW ...

The collective wisdom of the board was not so good this week.

Lehigh 18 Bucknell 0

Colgate 17 Holy Cross 1

Georgetown 15 Sacred Heart 3

Lafayette 15 Fordham 3

Either the posters here really don't know much (myself included!), there is an awful lot of Group-Think going on here, or the PL is just totally unpredictable this year.

I vote for all three!