PDA

View Full Version : BC-U Opens Case for Two in MEAC

TexasTerror
October 16th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Bethune Cookman beat South Carolina State 14-0... big rub against BC-C was their lack of any wins that would catch any attention...

Hampton squeaked by Norfolk State 7-6...

A likely scenario...

Bethune Cookman (11-0, 8-0 MEAC) - 10-0 vs Div I
South Carolina State (9-2, 7-1 MEAC) - 8-2 vs Div I

BC-C and SCST still have Hampton on the schedule...

Hampton could win both and get back in the discussion, but if the above scenario happens with BC-C and SCST, do both get into the playoffs?

AggieManiac704
October 16th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Once the games against Hampton are played, this conversation will really heat up

Congrats BCU....only Hampton & maybe FAMU stand in your way

TexasTerror
October 16th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I just hope this lends more credibility to my argument that the MEAC can get two teams into the playoffs...

I've been making the argument for a few weeks now and the CAA folks are especially upset about it!

AggieManiac704
October 16th, 2010, 03:51 PM
They can be upset all they want, anyone paying attention to this game the two defenses on the field were ready for war today.... if BCU & SCSU win out, they have a case for playoff spots....

#POW

T-Dog
October 16th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Respect the MEAC. xthumbsupx

WestCoastAggie
October 16th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Before we can even ask if the MEAC deserves 2 teams, we have to ask will SCSU even be ranked in ANY poll come monday afternoon? A 14-0 loss at home just gives MEAC haters all the ammo they need to kick them out of the top 25.

Nebuta
October 16th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I just hope this lends more credibility to my argument that the MEAC can get two teams into the playoffs...

I've been making the argument for a few weeks now and the CAA folks are especially upset about it!

I cant speak for all the CAA folks, but I am not upset. Glad to see BC win as I said before. 2 MEAC teams in the playoffs would most likely burst the bubble on another Conference beside the CAA. Just looking at the strength of the conference and the OOC match ups, nothing to worry about here

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 16th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I don't know if the MEAC deserves to get two in just because someone dethrones SC State. Need to have some good wins OOC first.

I do think Brian Jenkins is starting to look like a good Eddie Robinson award candidate if BCC can run the table, though. Heck of a turnaround from last year. Does Jenkins even run an offense similar to what BCC ran last year?

WestCoastAggie
October 16th, 2010, 04:32 PM
BCU's Speedway O is a variation on the Spread option/Spread Passing Game.

WileECoyote06
October 16th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Before we can even ask if the MEAC deserves 2 teams, we have to ask will SCSU even be ranked in ANY poll come monday afternoon? A 14-0 loss at home just gives MEAC haters all the ammo they need to kick them out of the top 25.

And that's completely illogical thinking. It was a home loss, but it's not like BCC ran them out of their own stadium. BCC was ranked or just outside of the Top 25 in most polls. It's week six and both teams have earned their places.

WileECoyote06
October 16th, 2010, 04:41 PM

I said before a 9-2 SCSU gets in, and no way a 10+ win BCU is left out.

Now maybe BCU will have a let down when they come to Durham next week. xprayx

ToTheLeft
October 16th, 2010, 05:21 PM
SCSU did nothing out of conference, and the MEAC is not a highly rated conference. Just winning DI games doesn't get you in the playoffs. I'm not saying this is the same level as when San Diego was winning games and left out, but it's close. Winning only conference games and weak DI games isn't enough of a resume.

That said, with the MVFC, Big Sky, and Southland looking like they don't want many at-large teams, I think there's a good chance this is the year the MEAC could get a second team into the dance, assuming there's a 8+ DI win team alongside the autobid. Even still, they'd better hope there's not another CAA team going up against them, because strength of schedule would blow the MEAC team out of the water.

Aho_Old_Guy
October 16th, 2010, 05:38 PM

I wouldn't worry about the CAA. I think they will get their *5*

William & Mary
James Madison
Villanova
Massachusetts
Delaware

The last few spots will come down to a second MEAC or a third team from the Big Fluffy.

Eastern Washington
Montana
Montana State

An 8-3 UTC is a lock from the SoCon ::: 7-4 is a big bubble for them but they currently have the #1 SoS (as opposed to Montana State at #100 SoS)

So you most likely have Appalachian; with Wofford, GSU & The Vermin fighting with the Mocs for two open slots.

Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
Jacksonville State Gamecocks

Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks
Robert Morris
Liberty Flamos

The MVC will most likely get two spots but who knows at this point which two? xlolx

So the second MEAC will be battling ...

1) a third Big Fluffy team; or
2) a second Southland.

For the last 2 spots ...

Did I miss anyone ? xwhistlex

ToTheLeft
October 16th, 2010, 05:56 PM
LU will be getting in via Auto-Qualification if they win the Big South. And if we don't win the Big South, it will be tough to put us in the playoffs... so don't count us in this discussion. Same with RMU, they'll get in for winning the NEC.

I think 4/5 CAA at large, 2 SoCon at large, 1 MVFC, 1/2 Big Sky, maybe one SLC, and if SEMO can keep winning, maybe SEMO out of the OVC. There's plenty to choose from before you get to a second MEAC.

santosballnewhampshire
October 16th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Haha the MEAC is trash...

WestCoastAggie
October 16th, 2010, 06:18 PM

http://api.ning.com/files/r5ltvNdWo5vXmk4gDbBxxg2XzTwN15XGic7xrZc7Bb9nxyjoRO d7hLlps6A6x58ci8Zmg2M5e0z0hZ62cgESwsVXQS%20ynFe5s/smh2.gif

santosballnewhampshire
October 16th, 2010, 06:19 PM
http://api.ning.com/files/r5ltvNdWo5vXmk4gDbBxxg2XzTwN15XGic7xrZc7Bb9nxyjoRO d7hLlps6A6x58ci8Zmg2M5e0z0hZ62cgESwsVXQS%20ynFe5s/smh2.gif

good one dude...

WestCoastAggie
October 16th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Point of Clarification:

TT,

It's Bethune-Cookman University, not Bethune-Cookman College. They Attained University Status in 2007.

danefan
October 16th, 2010, 07:09 PM
2nd teams from the weaker conferences have got to hope that the strong conferences beat up on each other. The CAA, MVFC and Big Sky are certainly doing that this year.

Only time will tell. What will hurt both of them is the lack of any good OOC wins and the weak in-conference MEAC SOS.

Humble Steward
October 16th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Point of Clarification:

TT,

It's Bethune-Cookman University, not Bethune-Cookman College. They Attained University Status in 2007.

Thank you WestCoast Aggie. I believe B-CU and South Carolina St. will get an invitation if they win out. However, it's too early to think about that. Next up: NCCU. The one thing that everyone forgot about with the South
Carolina St. game was the the B-CU defense has been solid as well. I take nothing away from South Carolina St. They still have a strong defense and a solid team. But, I'm am proud to be a Wildcat and like our chances with the rest of the season. Let's go Wildcats.

GAD
October 16th, 2010, 09:39 PM

and this is not considered smack?
but my post get deleted gimme a break

Umpire
October 16th, 2010, 09:42 PM
and this is not considered smack?
but my post get deleted gimme a break

Taken care of.

But the gif was so awesomely played the comment will stay.

Panther88
October 16th, 2010, 11:23 PM

lol

Squealofthepig
October 17th, 2010, 01:21 AM
The SC State loss today was in good company; pretty much every double-digit ranked team lost (and a few single digit teams), so lots of losses will help SC State stay ranked (I have them in my top 25 still, though barely).

With the expansion of the playoff field, I think it's downright illogical to make a blanket statement that the MEAC can't get two teams in. I think, currently, it's definitely possible, but far from probable. There's still a lot of football to be played, and most voters are likely to forgive a team in a major conference getting upset on the road more than a MEAC team on the road (just the way it is).

BC impressed today. I anticipate they will be ranked in several polls this week; but they have to keep winning to make this conversation meaningful (and same for SC State). If Bethune-Cookman falters, and if Hampton smacks these teams around, the conversation changes. But as of now, yeah, the MEAC could get two in, especially if upsets in major conferences continue to be common.

Humble Steward
October 17th, 2010, 07:32 AM
The SC State loss today was in good company; pretty much every double-digit ranked team lost (and a few single digit teams), so lots of losses will help SC State stay ranked (I have them in my top 25 still, though barely).

With the expansion of the playoff field, I think it's downright illogical to make a blanket statement that the MEAC can't get two teams in. I think, currently, it's definitely possible, but far from probable. There's still a lot of football to be played, and most voters are likely to forgive a team in a major conference getting upset on the road more than a MEAC team on the road (just the way it is).

BC impressed today. I anticipate they will be ranked in several polls this week; but they have to keep winning to make this conversation meaningful (and same for SC State). If Bethune-Cookman falters, and if Hampton smacks these teams around, the conversation changes. But as of now, yeah, the MEAC could get two in, especially if upsets in major conferences continue to be common.

I agree that SC State should be in the Top 20. They should not fall like a rock in the polls because they lost to B-CU. They lost to a solid squad yesterday and should not be punished for that. There are several teams which have faced Top 25 ranked teams and lost, but did not fall out of the poll. However, if B-CU and/or SC State make the playoffs, we need to win some games. SC State is not less of a team because they lost yesterday.xtwocentsx

WileECoyote06
October 17th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I wish folks would quit saying 'major' conference. You're not in the BCS.

If you do not rank SCSU this week, you've basically devalued BCU's win. You can't have it both ways. SCSU was a top 15 team according to AGS voters; and it's not like BCC was 2 - 3 and pulled a fluke upset with a hail mary pass. They are undefeated and this was a possible outcome. SCSU also wasn't beaten silly.

If voters are fair, both teams should be ranked this week. I already had BCU in my poll, so they'll officially become a teen this week.

OhioHen
October 17th, 2010, 09:12 AM

They're still in my top 25, but will be noted as the most significant loss.

WestCoastAggie
October 17th, 2010, 10:51 AM
The loser between Hampton vs. South Carolina St. will be eliminated from playoff contention.

FAMU is suddenly back in the MEAC AQ hunt and the Florida Classic should easily draw over 60,000 in Orlando this Nov.

All of a sudden, the top teams in the MEAC do appear to be in serious playoff contention as 2 MEAC team (BCU, SCSU) should be ranked in the top 20 and Hampton should be in the top 25.

The only glaring weakness against them will be their early season schedules but their SOS will go up as they play one another and Hampton plays a "stronger" ODU team on Halloween.

IaaScribe
October 17th, 2010, 11:21 AM
SCSU is not being punished for losing to a good team. It's being punished because it has two losses and no quality wins at all this season. None. Give me an honest reason why SCSU, which plays in one of the worst AQ conferences in FCS, should be ranked this week. And if your answer is "they played App close in the playoffs last year," try again. The polls are for this year, not the past. SCSU is 24-25 material at best this year until it proves otherwise. And Hampton? Please. 5-1 with the victories against a group of teams with a combined mark of 6-24.

WileECoyote06
October 17th, 2010, 11:37 AM
You know good and well nobody is going to play SCSU in a home-and-home series. They tried for 2010; and they couldn't work out the details. That's how they ended up playing Mississippi Valley State. They even played Benedict (D2 SIAC) at their home stadium. So it's not entirely SCSU's fault; they haven't had the chance to play quality OOC opponents. If you are an AD would you send your playoff aspiring team to play SCSU in Orangeburg? We're fans, but that's not how an AD thinks of scheduling. If you have SCSU calling you wanting a H-and-H, and you have NCCU calling you, willing to travel. . you're going to chose to NCCU every time. So your conference gets a win against the MEAC and you keep your home fans satisfied.

It's also not their fault that the MEAC has some programs stinking up all of FCS. When it comes down to it, they still have a chance to finish 8 - 1 against FCS opponents.

As they continue to win they'll gain some of their poll ranking back; and if BCC continues to win, they'll both finish in the low teens. The playoff committee would be hard pressed to explain how you leave teams in the top 15 from playoff qualifying conferences out of the big dance.

IaaScribe
October 17th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I think S.C. State will get some of its swagger back as long as it beats Hampton. But say Hampton goes in the tank after that and finishes in the 6-5/7-4 range. The Bulldogs will be putting their entire resume on beating an average MEAC team. That's not going to cut it when you're 9-2 going against 7-4 CAA teams that played in a league that featured seven ranked teams all year. S.C. State is in a tough spot right now. I don't think 9-2 is going to get the Bulldogs in, unless there is a real dearth of available teams.

WestCoastAggie
October 17th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I see BCU running the table, Hampton & SCSU with one loss in conference and FAMU finishing with 2 losses. Hampton will have 9 D-1 Wins and FAMU & SCSU will have 8 D-1 wins.

This will ruffle a lot of feathers, especially those from the NEC, CAA, and Big South but right now there are 3 - 4 teams in the MEAC who have more than a punchers chance at an At - Large bid.

IaaScribe
October 17th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Neither South Carolina State nor Hampton with nine wins will get in over a 7-4 CAA team. Book it.

The Northeast and Big South have no shot at at-large bids. Liberty hasn't done enough out of conference to merit one. It's auto-bid or bust for the Flames. Same with Robert Morris or Central Connecticut.

aceinthehole
October 17th, 2010, 12:46 PM
All of a sudden, the top teams in the MEAC do appear to be in serious playoff contention as 2 MEAC team (BCU, SCSU) should be ranked in the top 20 and Hampton should be in the top 25.

You must be joking! xconfusedx

DSUrocks07
October 18th, 2010, 01:59 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsf8LnThk5Y

Nebuta
October 18th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Sorry no disrepect, but a 8x D-I wins for MEAC team will not get selected over a 7-4 CAA team. I believe a MEAC team needs to have at least 9 wins just have a slight chance to be considered in the conversation for an at large bid.

ToTheLeft
October 18th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Sorry no disrepect, but a 8x D-I wins for MEAC team will not get selected over a 7-4 CAA team. I believe a MEAC team needs to have at least 9 wins just to be even a chance to be considered in the conversation for an at large bid.

Depends on what those wins are. Were SCST to schedule New Hampshire or JMU or even a SoCon team like Chatty or Wofford and win that game, it'd be a different story. But playing Sub DI's and SWAC teams does nothing to help your perception or your resume.

DSUrocks07
October 18th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Depends on what those wins are. Were SCST to schedule New Hampshire or JMU or even a SoCon team like Chatty or Wofford and win that game, it'd be a different story. But playing Sub DI's and SWAC teams does nothing to help your perception or your resume.

It takes two to tango...I'm sure that SCSU would accept offers from ALL of those teams. Problem is that NONE would (and prolly none will) do a HnH series. The Bulldogs have a 22,000 seat stadium as well so its not an issue with capacity. Hell, Furman decided to play HOWARD this year instead of SC State who is right up the road...xnonono2x

Furman to SC State (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=furman+university&daddr=300+College+St+NE,+Orangeburg,+SC+29117+(Sou th+Carolina+State+University)&geocode=FZzwFAIdIAgW-yFMFXeHBVLnEinfHRrhsTNYiDF7AZOJ_4XG6g%3BFUIZ_wEd1T 8u-yFl-yxPtoUHYg&gl=us&hl=en&mra=pd&mrcr=0&sll=34.139088,-81.644897&sspn=2.477709,5.795288&ie=UTF8&ll=34.211802,-81.633911&spn=2.475576,5.795288&z=8)

Nebuta
October 18th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Yeah, if that were to happen, it would be a different story. If SCST were to schedule a CAA, SoCon or BigSky and win. They most likely be the AQ and/or have 9-10 wins as they run thru conference play.

DSUrocks07
October 18th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Just looked it up, Wofford played Union College on 9/18, the same weekend that SC State played @ Benedict...#imjustsayin

BlueHenSinfonian
October 18th, 2010, 05:19 PM
It takes two to tango...I'm sure that SCSU would accept offers from ALL of those teams. Problem is that NONE would (and prolly none will) do a HnH series. The Bulldogs have a 22,000 seat stadium as well so its not an issue with capacity. Hell, Furman decided to play HOWARD this year instead of SC State who is right up the road...xnonono2x]

Until SC State proves itself as a top flight program they can't reasonably expect top notch programs to entertain H&H offers. I'd be willing to bet Delaware would entertain a home and home proposal from App State or Montana, but for SC State, probably not. SC State needs to take it on the road and win some big name FCS games or do better than the first round of the playoffs before they will be taken seriously.

I could see some potential H&H deals with the upcoming new CAA teams, ODU or GA State would make a certain amount of sense.

WileECoyote06
October 18th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Stated by WCA:

But even with this loss, SCSU should still be ranked even though they played a laughable OOC, which wasn't their fault. Benedict wouldn't keep taking a buyout and from my understanding, a team from one of the stronger FCS conferences backed out of their game at the last minute and had to scramble to find a home game and Wofford, Elon, Liberty & Coastal Carolina couldn't agree to terms with them for this game because they wanted SCSU to come to them. So all that was left for them to schedule was Miss. Valley State.

The reason why the MEAC is at the bottom of the FCS this year is because teams like my Undergrad Alma Mater (A&T), Howard, DSU, Morgan St, NSU are seriously weighing down the conference's strength of schedule. We just suck and it's hurting teams like Hampton, SCSU and BCU. It's really sad really but these problems go way beyond the gridiron.

So there it is. . you can't play teams that don't want to play you. And why shouldn't SCSU expect home and home series? They've got a big stadium and rabid fans to satisfy. Home games make the money for the program.

WileECoyote06
October 18th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Until SC State proves itself as a top flight program they can't reasonably expect top notch programs to entertain H&H offers. I'd be willing to bet Delaware would entertain a home and home proposal from App State or Montana, but for SC State, probably not. SC State needs to take it on the road and win some big name FCS games or do better than the first round of the playoffs before they will be taken seriously.

I could see some potential H&H deals with the upcoming new CAA teams, ODU or GA State would make a certain amount of sense.

For what? They are already ranked? There is no financial benefit to going on the road; without a return game. When it comes down to it, athletic departments crave football success because they improve the bottom line for the entire department. I don't blame SCSU for pursuing a home game. They are responsible to their fans and providing an entertaining product for their fans and boosters.

Yall want them to follow the Florida State method; but they aren't an independent. xlolx

WestCoastAggie
October 18th, 2010, 07:15 PM
It takes two to tango...I'm sure that SCSU would accept offers from ALL of those teams. Problem is that NONE would (and prolly none will) do a HnH series. The Bulldogs have a 22,000 seat stadium as well so its not an issue with capacity. Hell, Furman decided to play HOWARD this year instead of SC State who is right up the road...xnonono2x

Furman to SC State (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=furman+university&daddr=300+College+St+NE,+Orangeburg,+SC+29117+(Sou th+Carolina+State+University)&geocode=FZzwFAIdIAgW-yFMFXeHBVLnEinfHRrhsTNYiDF7AZOJ_4XG6g%3BFUIZ_wEd1T 8u-yFl-yxPtoUHYg&gl=us&hl=en&mra=pd&mrcr=0&sll=34.139088,-81.644897&sspn=2.477709,5.795288&ie=UTF8&ll=34.211802,-81.633911&spn=2.475576,5.795288&z=8)

Point of clarification:

The MEAC Conference has a 9-game Mandate. This leaves only 2 OOC games. SC State had a contract with Ga. Tech that was signed back in 2007/2008 to play this game in 2010. They also had to deal with a Benedict College that wasn't willing to take less money by "breaking the contract" instead of having SC State on their campus for the game on Sept. 18th in Columbia. SC State has been pushing off this game with Benedict for the past 2 seasons.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 18th, 2010, 07:41 PM
For what? They are already ranked? There is no financial benefit to going on the road; without a return game. When it comes down to it, athletic departments crave football success because they improve the bottom line for the entire department. I don't blame SCSU for pursuing a home game. They are responsible to their fans and providing an entertaining product for their fans and boosters.

Yall want them to follow the Florida State method; but they aren't an independent. xlolx

They are barely ranked, and not consistently. When the program gets to the point where they are in the top 25 eight out of ten years like UD, Montana, App State, etc, then they can start demanding home and home series. There is a benefit to going on the road to build up public awareness and increase the public's perception of the program. Whether it is fair or not, most people consider the MEAC and SWAC as just a bunch of HBCUs living in their own little world, and as a tier below mainstream conferences and programs like the CAA, SoCon, Big Sky, and MVC.

Playing some tough away OOC games might not improve the bottom line right away, but it will help the program gain exposure and if they start to win enough of them, earn them a reputation where other schools might see the benefit of doing a home and home series. As it is anyone in the CAA other than maybe Towson or Rhody would have no reason to do a home and home with SC State - it wouldn't necessarily help draw a bigger home crowd for their game, and the away game at SC State wouldn't do anything but dilute their strength of schedule.

WileECoyote06
October 18th, 2010, 11:24 PM
They are barely ranked, and not consistently. When the program gets to the point where they are in the top 25 eight out of ten years like UD, Montana, App State, etc, then they can start demanding home and home series. There is a benefit to going on the road to build up public awareness and increase the public's perception of the program. Whether it is fair or not, most people consider the MEAC and SWAC as just a bunch of HBCUs living in their own little world, and as a tier below mainstream conferences and programs like the CAA, SoCon, Big Sky, and MVC.

Playing some tough away OOC games might not improve the bottom line right away, but it will help the program gain exposure and if they start to win enough of them, earn them a reputation where other schools might see the benefit of doing a home and home series. As it is anyone in the CAA other than maybe Towson or Rhody would have no reason to do a home and home with SC State - it wouldn't necessarily help draw a bigger home crowd for their game, and the away game at SC State wouldn't do anything but dilute their strength of schedule.

first of all. . you're not mainstream. You're still in FCS. . .I'm sure Ohio State and Alabama fans don't really think about your school that much.

second of all. .. most people is you. And honestly, we could exist in our own little world and still have the highest average attendance in FCS between the two conferences (besides arguably the SoCon). So why wouldn't MEAC schools want to have a home game, where we can keep the money from the gate?

You're trying to convince me that an away game against a ranked team (as high as #9 in some polls) will make a CAA team's schedule weak? That's so arrogant it's flat out laughable.

mikebigg
October 19th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I see BCU running the table, Hampton & SCSU with one loss in conference and FAMU finishing with 2 losses. Hampton will have 9 D-1 Wins and FAMU & SCSU will have 8 D-1 wins.

This will ruffle a lot of feathers, especially those from the NEC, CAA, and Big South but right now there are 3 - 4 teams in the MEAC who have more than a punchers chance at an At - Large bid.

In all sincerity...Good Luck! However, I will be very surprised if more than 1 school is selected!

mikebigg
October 19th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Stated by WCA:

So there it is. . you can't play teams that don't want to play you. And why shouldn't SCSU expect home and home series? They've got a big stadium and rabid fans to satisfy. Home games make the money for the program.

These posters have flat out stated that they don't think SC State is worthy of a home and home... some of these posters accused the SWAC of segregating itself with our refusal to participate in the playoffs. Does anyone else see the hypocrisy? Sorry MEAC but yall are getting the "Highlander" treatment..."There can be ONLY one!"

WestCoastAggie
October 19th, 2010, 09:59 AM
In all sincerity...Good Luck! However, I will be very surprised if more than 1 school is selected!

Thanks for the "Good Luck".

If SC State & BCU win out, they will creep into the top 16-18 of the Coaches and TSN polls and will most likely receive an at-large bid in the expanded field.

Hampton is a strech but by no means out of the race.

FAMU needs to win out and hope and pray for love in the polls.

I've been a serious skeptic of any MEAC squad getting any at large bid until i started looking at the Polls and the computer rankings. BCU and SC State are getting serious love from the human polls and computers that the Selection Committee will look at.

These posters have flat out stated that they don't think SC State is worthy of a home and home... some of these posters accused the SWAC of segregating itself with our refusal to participate in the playoffs. Does anyone else see the hypocrisy? Sorry MEAC but yall are getting the "Highlander" treatment..."There can be ONLY one!"

This is the case but fortunately for MEAC schools, and you have stated this in the past, but fans/message board members really don't have much say so in the process of scheduling games & $$$ Talks. SC State did have a game scheduled with a team from a "Stronger" conference but they backed out of the deal.

TexasTerror
October 19th, 2010, 10:16 AM
MikeBigg - we're talking about the playoffs here. ;)

If SCST and BC win out, they are both in. There will not need to be any questions asked as the NCAA will not be able to keep two teams from the MEAC with nine wins on the sidelines while trying to figure out which seven win team(s) to take over them.

The MEAC needs to have two or three teams rise above the rest annually to really justify having two teams in the playoffs. It's going to take 9-11 wins by two teams in order for the league to get two entrants, since they do have a weak SOS (perhaps it would improve if they got rid of some of the Div II games and contests against the SWAC - since they are almost 'one in the same' in the eyes of the poll voters and computer ratings).

Schfourteenteen
October 19th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the "Good Luck".

This is the case but fortunately for MEAC schools, and you have stated this in the past, but fans/message board members really don't have much say so in the process of scheduling games & $$$ Talks. SC State did have a game scheduled with a team from a "Stronger" conference but they backed out of the deal.

I heard Liberty and SC State had discussions that fell apart because of which year the home games would be. Although that can't be what you're referencing - you said "Stronger."

WestCoastAggie
October 19th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I heard Liberty and SC State had discussions that fell apart because of which year the home games would be. Although that can't be what you're referencing - you said "Stronger."

Let me edit: "Stronger" than the MEAC.

xlolx

3rd Coast Tiger
October 19th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I see 5 MEAC teams getting the invite.

mikebigg
October 19th, 2010, 04:06 PM
MikeBigg - we're talking about the playoffs here. ;)

If SCST and BC win out, they are both in. There will not need to be any questions asked as the NCAA will not be able to keep two teams from the MEAC with nine wins on the sidelines while trying to figure out which seven win team(s) to take over them.

The MEAC needs to have two or three teams rise above the rest annually to really justify having two teams in the playoffs. It's going to take 9-11 wins by two teams in order for the league to get two entrants, since they do have a weak SOS (perhaps it would improve if they got rid of some of the Div II games and contests against the SWAC - since they are almost 'one in the same' in the eyes of the poll voters and computer ratings).

Duh...but the comments were that because of the regular season schedule, no one from the MEAC would get an at-large bid. In addition, the comment was made that in the future the MEAC schools need to play better FCS competition. When it was mentioned that SC State had trouble getting a home and home, the reply was that they should go that the other schools without a return game in order to build credibility.

C-O-M-P-R-E-H-E-N-S-I-O-N!!!!!

WestCoastAggie
October 19th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I see 5 MEAC teams getting the invite.

Your sarcasm could use some work. xrotatehx

Sonic98
October 20th, 2010, 09:29 AM
SCSU is not being punished for losing to a good team. It's being punished because it has two losses and no quality wins at all this season. None. Give me an honest reason why SCSU, which plays in one of the worst AQ conferences in FCS, should be ranked this week. And if your answer is "they played App close in the playoffs last year," try again. The polls are for this year, not the past. SCSU is 24-25 material at best this year until it proves otherwise. And Hampton? Please. 5-1 with the victories against a group of teams with a combined mark of 6-24.

But polls are also based on how good voters "think" a team is. We all know somethings rankings are sometimes based on the name or the history of a team or what they've done in recent seasons. They played App close in the playoffs. Yes, a previous season technically speaking does not matter, but if you think SCSU team this year is as good or better than last year they will get votes based on what quality voters think they are not only on the quality of their opponents. Plus, it's not like MEAC teams have not tried to get quality teams on their schedule, but I guess it's up to them to do what they have to do. Thye might have to go ahead and schedule a team whether they can get a home-and-home deal or not.

mikebigg
October 20th, 2010, 11:30 AM
But polls are also based on how good voters "think" a team is. We all know somethings rankings are sometimes based on the name or the history of a team or what they've done in recent seasons. They played App close in the playoffs. Yes, a previous season technically speaking does not matter, but if you think SCSU team this year is as good or better than last year they will get votes based on what quality voters think they are not only on the quality of their opponents. Plus, it's not like MEAC teams have not tried to get quality teams on their schedule, but I guess it's up to them to do what they have to do. Thye might have to go ahead and schedule a team whether they can get a home-and-home deal or not.

Or realize that other conference options previously looked down upon are more attractive in view of how things might work out.

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2010, 07:29 PM
FAMU thinks it still has a chance (and they do have Bethune Cookman on the slate)...

Coach Joe Taylor couldn't have been more matter-of-fact than he was in his response to a question about whether his Florida A&M football team can run the table and become a part of the postseason conversation.

"If you don't take care of this one you don't need to look down the road," Taylor said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The one that he was referring to is Norfolk State University, the Rattlers' opponent Saturday. The Spartans have FAMU penciled for their homecoming, but the game has even greater significance for both teams.

The Spartans (2-4, 1-3 MEAC) are fighting to get back in the conference championship race. FAMU (3-3, 2-1) needs a victory if it's going to make the race more interesting.

http://rattlernews.tallahassee.com/article/20101019/FAMU03/10190322