PDA

View Full Version : Your Team's Greatest Win - EVER!!!

carney2
February 6th, 2006, 11:11 AM
I know that we are "out of season," but this site is getting downright dreary with threads about which school sold the most hot dogs in 2005 and who lays claim to the ugliest lineman. In an attempt to create some interest - any interest - here goes:

Giving some detail, please describe your school's greatest win ever.

Appalachian State fans need not respond. We know about that one.

As for me, I'm not going to be the first out of the box. I need to give this some thought.

mainejeff
February 6th, 2006, 11:24 AM
1. Maine 14 McNeese State 10 (2001 NCAA Playoffs)
2. Maine 10 Mississippi State 9 (2004)
3. Maine 14 Appalachian State 13 (2002 NCAA Playoffs)

slostang
February 6th, 2006, 11:25 AM
That is an easy one for Cal Poly, last years win at Montana in the first round of the playoffs. It was Poly's first trip to the I-AA playoffs, should have been their second, and it was their first win over Montana in nine attempts.

I can not wait until next year.

grizband
February 6th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Montana 22 Marshall 20 1995 I-AA National Title Game

Other posters can probably fill you in with the details of the game better than I, as I was only 11 when this game was played. However, any championship game that comes down to a kick as time expires (see Vinatieri against Rams/Panthers), is a good game in my book. This game solidified the place of the Griz among the national powers at the I-AA level. It featured the greatest player to ever wear the Montana jersey (Dave Dickenson), and one of the most beloved figures in the history of Montana athletics ("Papa Bear" Don Read).

grizband
February 6th, 2006, 11:29 AM
That is an easy one for Cal Poly, last years win at Montana in the first round of the playoffs. It was Poly's first trip to the I-AA playoffs, should have been their second, and it was their first win over Montana in nine attempts.

I can not wait until next year.
Neither can I, although I hope the outcome is similar to the regular season game, rather than the playoff game...

bandl
February 6th, 2006, 11:31 AM
DUH.

I-AA National Championship Game, December 17th 2004

JMU 31 - Montana 21

JMU was getting housed through the first quarter, yet Montana couldn't take advantage and put alot of points on the board. JMU then turned it around and just ran it down Montana's throats...there is rumor that there are still missing UM linemen in the Chatty turf.

grizband
February 6th, 2006, 11:46 AM
DUH.

I-AA National Championship Game, December 17th 2004

JMU 31 - Montana 21

JMU was getting housed through the first quarter, yet Montana couldn't take advantage and put alot of points on the board. JMU then turned it around and just ran it down Montana's throats...there is rumor that there are still missing UM linemen in the Chatty turf.
In the first quarter, the Griz outgained the Dukes 120 yards to -2. Talmage dropping that touchdown, and those missed field goals proved to be pretty big factors in this game.

ngineer
February 6th, 2006, 11:48 AM
The 'ever' part is difficult. Tough to go back 123 years and figure that out. IN terms of 'historical' value, Lehigh's 106-0 victory over Penn State in 1889 is still listed in Penn State's media guide and program as their worst loss.
However, more modernistically, for those still breathing, the National Championsip victory, 33-0, over Jacksonsville State in 1977, would likely be considered tops.

bostonspider
February 6th, 2006, 11:49 AM
For Richmond, it would probably be the 1968 Tangerine Bowl win over national ranked Ohio. Though the 1985 win over Virginia Tech, which boosted UR up to No.1 in 1-AA at the time, was pretty big too. There have been some nice 1-AA playoff wins as well, but those first two tend to stand out in UR's history.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 6th, 2006, 12:02 PM
The 'ever' part is difficult. Tough to go back 123 years and figure that out. IN terms of 'historical' value, Lehigh's 106-0 victory over Penn State in 1889 is still listed in Penn State's media guide and program as their worst loss.
However, more modernistically, for those still breathing, the National Championsip victory, 33-0, over Jacksonsville State in 1977, would likely be considered tops.

1st Lehigh playoff win at Goodman stadium, and the Lambert Cup Victory in 2001. 27-24 win in OT over Hofstra. Gotta be in there somewhere.

ChickenMan
February 6th, 2006, 12:05 PM
'79... Delaware 51 YSU 45

UD (8-1) at YSU (9-0)... the two top DII teams in their final year of DII football. YSU stormed out to a 31-7 half-time lead... but the Hens scored a TD on every possession of 2d half to pull out a great comeback win. The same two teams met a few weeks later in the DII title game and UD again came from behind to win... 38-21.

MarkCCU
February 6th, 2006, 12:09 PM
I'd say our Win over JMU

walliver
February 6th, 2006, 12:21 PM
1) Beating Furman 5-1 in 1889 to take the series lead (unfortunately we haven't led the series since then).

Gil Dobie
February 6th, 2006, 12:25 PM
1965 North Dakota St 20, Grambling St 7

North Dakota State's first College Division National Championship.

grizband
February 6th, 2006, 12:33 PM
1965 North Dakota St 20, Grambling St 7

North Dakota State's first College Division National Championship.
Where would you rank the NDSU victory over Montana in 2003?

JaxSinfonian
February 6th, 2006, 12:33 PM

That was JSU's first trip (of four) to the D-II title game. The last one probably qualifies as the Gamecocks' best win ever, beating Pittsburg State 17-13 for the 1992 championship.

Following that, the 2005 victory over Furman would have been somewhere on the list. Except it only lasted for about a minute, before they put :01 back on the clock and it wasn't a victory anymore. But it sure felt great there for a moment. Everyone in the stadium was going nuts.

Is it September yet?

MarkCCU
February 6th, 2006, 12:34 PM
1) Beating Furman 5-1 in 1889 to take the series lead (unfortunately we haven't led the series since then).

That was 117 years ago. I'm sure in the past 1800+ games, one of them had to be greater. lol

Gil Dobie
February 6th, 2006, 12:42 PM

Top Five, might even have the 1969 Griz Camelia Bowl game in there too.

bobcatfan06
February 6th, 2006, 12:49 PM
1. 1981 D-II National Championship game
2. 1982 D-II National Championship game
3. 2005 vs. Sam Houston in OT to win the SLC for the first time
4. 2005 Playoffs vs. Gerogia Southern First Texas State playoff victory and it was a hell of a game

bobcatfan06
February 6th, 2006, 12:50 PM
That was 117 years ago. I'm sure in the past 1800+ games, one of them had to be greater. lol

How did Furman get 1 point??? :eyebrow:

aggie6thman
February 6th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Stanfurd. I don't think anything else needs to be said.

bigbluetiger
February 6th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Tn State beat U of Louisville in the late 70's/ early 80's.

GannonFan
February 6th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Here's mine - I actually did a list before on the CAA site during another interminable off-season - so I'm including the whole list - if you don't care to read it all just skip it. Here it is

(As I didn't really begin to watch the games until the early 80's, I'm atutomatically not listing the Youngstown games in '79 or anything earlier. I'm sure they were good but since I was a bit young, I was just really watching the cool helmets and the cool tuba guys.

#13 - James Madison - 1995 - Regular Season - 48-19: Game was in Harrisonburg and this win was significant because it finally turned the tide in the series against JMU - several disappointing losses in the 3 years leading up to this game, including a loss in the playoffs and a regular season loss in '93 when UD was #4 in the nation. UD dominated this game, literally ran all over the Dukes. Plays that seemed to go nowhere were 5 yard gains. Tubby even waved for me to come down and play but I respectfully declined (I made that part up). UD now leads the series 9-5 but before that game JMU led the series 3-2.

#12 - Maine - 1989 - Regular Season - 35-28: I knew MJ was upset about Maine not making the list for UD's worst defeats so I had to squeeze Maine in here. Pretty much sum this game up in two words: Mike Buck. Maine comes in with a hot shot QB, recent article in Sports Illustrated, facing a UD team going absolutely nowhere that year (Vergantino's freshman year). Maine swaggers into Newark (where as MJ pointed out they won on their last visit) and runs into a hornet's nest. Actually, before the recent 5 years worth of crowds, this was one of the more memorable raucous crowds at UD - great student turnout. Actually, you could make an argument that this game springboarded UD into the 90's and their multiple great years, playoff appearances, etc - thanks Maine!

#11 - Connecticut - 1998 - Regular Season - 59-17: UD comes out and opens a can of offensive whup-ass on Skip "my daddy got me this job" Holtz and the Huskies. Game was actually close in the 3rd quarter with UD up 24-17, but then UD goes on to score 5 more TD's and walks away with the blowout over the then #5 team in the nation. Nagy goes for 556 yards, Conti has a record day with 354 receiving yard and over 400 all purpose yards, UD puts up 732 yards of offense. My best memory of that day (I was in attendance with my future wife who I conned to going on the contingent that we stop in NYC for a show after the game) was on one of Eddie's TD's, UConn's defense was so mixed up the corner blitzed but the safety was on the other side of the field - Eddie, the only guy on his side of the field, easily catches a Nagy lob and away he goes! Oh, we saw "Bring in Da Noise, Bring in the Funk".

#10 - West Chester - 1986 - Regular Season - 33-31: I know, you're all going "West Chester"???? Fact is, West Chester in 1986 was actually more talented than UD was, and that was even with Gannon in the fold. West Chester boasted Al Niemela and Billy Hess and a couple of years later when they were seniors they would finally break through and beat the Hens (they choked in '87 against a Gannon-less UD team). Game's tight the whole way, and I believe UD was down with seconds to go, 27-31, and Gannon gives the ball to Bob Norris off-tackle who crosses the goal line as time expires. Gannon weaved some magic in this game, including one of the most incredible 45 yard runs for a TD I've ever seen - technically he covered well over 100 yards on his scramble, but it was a thing of beauty. WCU (may have been West Chester State back then) was so stymied by Gannon's heroics for 3 years that after he graduated the pep rally before the UD game was punctuated by "No More Gannon" chants by the Golden Ram faithful.

#9 - Temple - 1985 - Regular Season - 17-10: I can't remember too much from this game, but it was the last game ever played in the soon to be stopped series (cowardly Temple!) and saw another Gannon-led team beat a Temple squad boasting potential Heisman hopeful Paul Palmer. Fitting end to the series as UD takes it to their higher division rival.

#8 - Navy - 1985 - Regular Season - 16-13: The "Napolean McCallum Game" - first game in the UD/Navy series (at least modern time) and back when UD could actually get Navy to play in Newark. Place is sold out and more than 23k (bigger stadium them) pack the joint with midshipmen in white unis in attendance and they see Heisman hopeful and SI coverboy Napolean McCallum meet his Waterloo (there were a few signs that said that that day) as UD never lets him break loose and the Hens pull out a great game. Besides the aforementioned Maine game, the best home field advantage I remember until the most recent years.

#7 - villanova - 1992 - Regular Season - 21-20: Epic game - both games came into the game highly ranked, and UD fans were about half of the sell-out, standing room only crowd at nova. Game's tight the whole way, nova up by 6 as UD begins their last drive. Vergantino, Darrell Brown, and Lanue Johnson march the Wing-T down the field, and with under 10 seconds on the clock Delaware is 4th and goal from the 2 or 3. Tubby, in a fit of sheer genius, calls what appears to be a pitch to Lanue, and fools the entire nova defense as a previously unknown Norman Coleman takes the pitch on the reverse and has all of about half the team as blockers and walks into the endzone. Did I mention I hate nova?

#6 - Navy - 2003 - Regular Season - 21-17: UD brings close to 10k fans to Annapolis to take on the offensive rushing juggernaut of Navy and after taking two body blows early in the game settles down and shuts down Navy's high octane offense. Game should've been over as an apparent UD TD is called back for a phantom illegal man downfield call (video clearly shows all linemen nowhere close to downfield) and Navy's last drive is stopped on a Kyle Campbell pass deflection. Navy would go on to a great year and a bowl game, but would still smart from losing to the eventual National Champs.

#5 - villanova - 2000 - Regular Season - 59-42: The game that finally broke the hex - UD had gone 4 straight years never beating the hated rivals from the Main Line, the last 3 years all being progressively painful losses. UD had one loss coming in, playoffs secured, but would get home field until the championship if they won. With so much on the line, UD came out as bad as you could imagine. After letting Brian "aka Bugs Bunny" Westbrook run all over the field (I call him Bugs Bunny because that year every play was to him - Westbrook left, Westbrook right, etc - like when Bugs played every position in that baseball game). Westbrook actually come just a few yards shy of the NCAA record for all purpose yards, putting up 458 in total. UD, down 35-10 late in the second quarter, had nova right where they wanted them - Westbrook had fallen into UD's trap of letting him run 100 yards at a time early, thereby tiring him out for the 2nd half (Westbrook played the second half with an iron lung attached) and Delaware proceeds to outscore the cats 49-7 the rest of the way. The best was Andy Talley's quote after being outscored by 42 points to end the game: "They were a little too much for us in the 2nd half". Really Andy?

#4 - Montana - 1993 - First Round - 49-48: UD sneaks into the playoffs as the #16 seed and has to fly all the way out to Missoula to take on the top seeded Grizzlies, led by sensation Dave Dickenson. Delaware also needs to go with freshman Leo Hamlet as starter Dale Fry was injured. The game ends up being one of the most prolific offensive displays ever as Montana's defense had apparently never seen the Wing-T before and Delaware's defense had apparently never seen the forward pass. Both teams march up and down the field at will and the game threatens to go into a series of infinite overtimes as it's obvious there's no way to stop either team. Until, that is, Montana's kicker misses the PAT and leaves Montana up 48-42 late in the 4th. Hamlett leads a game ending drive with a pass to Malloy deep in the endzone, UD makes the PAT, and the rest is history. (series standing vs Montana remains 1-0 in favor of UD!)

#3 - Louisiana Tech - 1982 - Semifinals - 17-0: Three words - George Schmitt - Mud. Torrential downpours in the Bayou before the game turned the field into a pool of sheer mud, helping to negate the host's impressive offense. All-American George Schmitt (went on to play in the NFL for the Cardinals) pulls in some key interceptions and Rick Scully leads the Hens to enough points and UD moves into the national title game.

#2 - NE Louisiana - 1992 - Quarterfinals - 41-18: Only game I had to listen to on the radio. Hens go into the game against the top ranked Indians as huge underdogs. NE LA boasts two future NFL'ers in the backfield in Roosevelt Potts and Colvin, yet the story of the game, as it often was with teams unfamiliar with the Wing-T, was the thorough domination by the Vergantino-led Hens. The backfield of Johnson and Brown run all over NE La and the game was never in doubt. Maybe the best UD team to never win the title as the following week Vergantino catches the flu and vomits during the Marshall game, but oh what a win over NE La.

#1 - Colgate - 2003 - National Championship - 40-0: Although the game was not close, quite simply the most fitting capstone to the most dominating run ever in the IAA playoffs. Delaware's defense destroyed 4 really good teams in the playoffs (both co-champs from the Gateway in S. Illinois and N. Iowa, Southern champ Wofford, and Patriot champ Colgate). Defense also sets the record for the only shutout ever in the championship game as well as the fewest points ever allowed in the entire playoffs. After so many near misses (title game in '82, semifinals in '92, '97, and '00) and after having to witness the Postlethwait year, this was sweet. Oh, and we're still a perfect 4-0 against Colgate all time as well!

bulldog10jw
February 6th, 2006, 12:59 PM
The consensus at Yale is that the 7-0 victory over Princeton in 1934 is Yale's greatest. It was the only Princeton loss from '33 to '35 and they were a huge favorite (no lines in those days but estimates are they would have been favored by 14). Yale's 11 starters played the entire game.

In my lifetime the 1981 victory over Navy is what I consider the greatest.

Coastal89
February 6th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Canadian rules:

Single – Scored when the ball becomes dead in possession of a team in its own goal area or when the ball touches or crosses the deadline, or side-line-in-goal, and touches the ground, a player, or some object beyond these lines as a result of the ball having been kicked from the field of play into the goal area by the scoring team (worth one point).

OL FU
February 6th, 2006, 01:10 PM

I remember that game :nod:

1988 NC game against GSU for me. Second best, beating Marshall in Huntington the game before the NC game.

OL FU
February 6th, 2006, 01:12 PM

That was the extra point we should have scored in Boone in 2002 :D

fuEMO
February 6th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Furman has a colorful football past.

Modern Day Wins by Furman

1988 Furman defeats Georgia Southern in Pocatello, ID for the IAA Championship.
1988 Furman defeats Marshall 13-9 in Huntington, WV in the IAA Quarterfinals.
1978 Furman defeats The Citadel 17-13 on a game ending, goal line stand to win their first SoCon Championship. Stuffed Stump Mitchell.
1976 Furman Defeats NC State in the first game of the year 17-10.
1999 Furman defeats UNC 28-3.
2000 Furman defeats Georgia Southern 45-10

Golden Years

1902 Furman defeats South Carolina 10-0, after the game the Purple Fighters held a garnet and black rooster with plucked tail feathers over their heads. This prompted the name Gamecocks to describe SC’s football team, a name they started using in 1903.

1920 Furman defeats Clemson for the first time 14-0.

1926 Furman defeats Georgia in Athens 14-7. Norwood Cleveland wagered that he would walk from Athens to Greenville if the Hurricanes won. It took Norwood 4 days.

1927 The 30 Mule Team goes 10-1 and defeats Miami, 38-7 in the forerunner of the Orange Bowl.

1961 Furman defeats nationally ranked Memphis 7-6, declines an invitation to play in the Tangerine Bowl.

The Run on Beating IA Teams

1982 Furman defeats South Carolina 28-23 in the first year of being reclassified as IAA.
1983 Furman defeats Georgia Tech 17-14.
1984 Furman defeats NC ST 34-30.
1985 Furman defeats NC ST 42-20.
1986 Furman ties Georgia Tech 17-17.

OL FU
February 6th, 2006, 01:21 PM
1961 Furman defeats nationally ranked Memphis 7-6, declines an invitation to play in the Tangerine Bowl.

I met a participant on the FU side of that game this year at homecoming. It was his opinion that decision by the players (they wanted to go home for the holidays) started Furman's football decline in the 1960's. Recruits did not have an interest in playing for a team that turned down bowl games. He could be right, but I seem to remember Furman also flirted with or actualy stopped giving football scholarships during the mid-60's also.

Gil Dobie
February 6th, 2006, 01:22 PM
1. 1981 D-II National Championship game
2. 1982 D-II National Championship game
3. 2005 vs. Sam Houston in OT to win the SLC for the first time
4. 2005 Playoffs vs. Gerogia Southern First Texas State playoff victory and it was a hell of a game

I watched the 1981 game on TV, Texas State had much more speed on the field that day than the Bison. First you steel our coach (Wacker), and then you kick our a$$ in the Championship game. Great Memories though.

HENJOHN
February 6th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Some additional BLUE HEN insight:

2003 NC Game; Hens 40, Colgate 0 (and it wasn't that close)
2003 Playoffs: Hens 37 , N Iowa 7 (11" of snow that morning)
1993 Playoffs: Hens 49, Montana 48 (AT Montana in 6 degree weather)
2003 @ Navy: Hens 21, Navy 17 (ruined another Navy homecoming)
2000 Rivalry: Hens 59, Villanova 42 (Couldn't stop Westbrook)
1971 B Bowl: Hens 72, CW Post 22 (Div II Nat Champs)

ChickenMan
February 6th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Some additional BLUE HEN insight:

2003 NC Game; Hens 40, Colgate 0 (and it wasn't that close)
2003 Playoffs: Hens 37 , N Iowa 7 (11" of snow that morning)
1993 Playoffs: Hens 49, Montana 48 (AT Montana in 6 degree weather)
2003 @ Navy: Hens 21, Navy 17 (ruined another Navy homecoming)
2000 Rivalry: Hens 59, Villanova 42 (Couldn't stop Westbrook)
1971 B Bowl: Hens 72, CW Post 22 (Div II Nat Champs)

and just for Colgate13

1977... Delaware 21 Colgate 3

I-A Colgate comes into the final game of the season unbeaten vs pretty average 5-3-1 UD squad. the Red Raiders are getting nation press and are bowl bound if they can finish off the Hens. ABC requested that the game be moved from Delaware Stadium to the Vet... in Philly for a regional 4 pm telecast (UD had no lights at that time) but UD turns down the offer and the game is played at Delaware Stadium. The Hens under Jeff Komlo... who later QB'ed for the Lions... dominate from start to finish and ruin Colgate's perfect season along with their pending bowl bid.

foghorn
February 6th, 2006, 01:47 PM
:eek: Hate to pick on Colgate, but in the final game of a mediocre 1977 Hen season (6-3-1), the then Div.II Hens hosted the mighty, then Div.I, 10-0, #20 ranked Div. I team in the country, Colgate. A victory over UD would assure Colgate of a berth in the, then prestigious, Peach Bowl.
Well, before a SRO crowd of 23,000+, the Hens pulled off a tremendous upset, 21-3! I remember the crowd noise as deafening. Highlights of the game were shown on ABC, immediately following its 'Game of the Week'.
Needless to say, Colgate dismissed us from any more regular season contests. : flamemad

walliver
February 6th, 2006, 01:48 PM
How did Furman get one point?

Apparently an unusual scoring system was used.

In 1883 a scale of scoring values was first used. A safety was worth 1 point, a touchdown 2, a goal after a touchdown 4, and a goal from the field 5. After that the touchdown gradually became more valuable than the field goal and the goal after touchdown.

source: http://www.kubroco.com/league_hist2.asp

MarkCCU
February 6th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Apparently an unusual scoring system was used.

In 1883 a scale of scoring values was first used. A safety was worth 1 point, a touchdown 2, a goal after a touchdown 4, and a goal from the field 5. After that the touchdown gradually became more valuable than the field goal and the goal after touchdown.

source: http://www.kubroco.com/league_hist2.asp

xcoffeex thanks :read: :read:

Linehawg
February 6th, 2006, 01:53 PM
How about an undefeated (9-0) season where you beat Virginia 22-6, N.C. State 14-0, North Carolina 23-0, and Virginia Tech 24-7 in the same year? Oh yeah, the Hampden-Sydney score was 136-0 that year and Catholic Univ left Lexington and went home with a 96-0 loss. The 1920 VMI team ("Flying Squadron") has to be one of the best in college football history. :hurray:

Pard4Life
February 6th, 2006, 01:53 PM
I admit I am cheating with the media guide here... but I had these dates in mind anyhow..

10/7/1896 0-0 tie vs. Princeton, we both won the national title that year

11/19/1921 28-6 win vs. Lehigh, won national title thay year too

10/9/1926 17-7 vs. Pittsburgh, they were a high caliber team, and we won the national championship that year too

10/26/1940 19-0 vs. Army, our only win vs. Black Knights, went 9-0 that year and recieved an AP ranking

11/18/1944 64-0 vs. Lehigh, our biggest win vs. Lehigh to date

From about 1948 onwards, we toiled between mediocrity and down right awful until the Bill Russo area of 1981-1997. Although many of the older alums might add some other games, here is what I can deduce from what I've heard and learned.

11/21/1981 10-3 vs. Lehigh, they were an excellent team that year and we were not getting any respect until we end up winning the game. This was about the team of Lehigh's title teams.

9/17/1988 28-20 vs. Holy Cross, it was the Gordie Lockbaum era and Holy Cross was slicing through everyone. I think that was HC's only league loss in the middle of long winning streaks.

11/23/2002 14-7 vs. Lehigh, Hawks national preseason #1, we had not won in seven meetings, we are on the upswing as a program, getting no respect, and Lehigh was seeking a PL title. Included 'the Drive' and 'the Call' First of three 'oooops' games for Lehigh.

9/25/2004 21-16 vs. Richmond, big-bad A10 schollie team coming off a big win over ranked UMass. Overall a great game, and there was that insane ending of both teams thinking they won the game.

10/16/2004 14-13 vs. Bucknell, time will tell with this game and I'm only listing it for the ending.. BU needing a FG to win it, we block it, ball goes right back to the kicker, scoops it up, sweeps down the right sideline, half our team is celebrating we won and half are dumbfounded, kicker is sprinting down the sideline uncontested and is being tracked by Torian Johnson on an angle... Johnson tackles kicker inside the one-yard line to preserve win, and eventually the PL title

11/20/2004 24-10 vs. Lehigh, our first ever I-AA playoff berth

11/19/2005 23-19 vs. Lehigh, overall great game, we all know the ending, and it gave us our first ever at-large I-AA bid.

Maybe I am a bit biased with the recent dates, but they truly are humungous.

Pard4Life
February 6th, 2006, 01:57 PM
I'll speak for Harvard... I'm sure they can agree to 'Harvard beats Yale 29-29' in 1968. That's actually the first game I thought of when I saw the thread. That win and some Rose Bowl wins were big.

GannonFan
February 6th, 2006, 02:22 PM
How about an undefeated (9-0) season where you beat Virginia 22-6, N.C. State 14-0, North Carolina 23-0, and Virginia Tech 24-7 in the same year? Oh yeah, the Hampden-Sydney score was 136-0 that year and Catholic Univ left Lexington and went home with a 96-0 loss. The 1920 VMI team ("Flying Squadron") has to be one of the best in college football history. :hurray:

In all due respect to what was indeed a great season, those teams you mentioned were not exactly the creme de la creme of college football back then - good names now, but back then they weren't. Combined they were only 18-17-2. That year a Knute Rockne-led Irish team went 9-0 and they didn't even win the national title - that went to both Princeton and California. As far as I know neither one played Hampden-Syndey nor Catholic U that year. Yale played NC that year and won 21-0 (similar score to VMI), and they in turn got beat by NC Princeton 20-0. Like I said, sorry to rain on the parade but I hope the "best in college football history" was sarcastic.

gokats85
February 6th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Anytime SHSU beats SFA!

CatFan22
February 6th, 2006, 02:26 PM
#1: Montana State 19 - Louisiana Tech 6 (1984 National Championship)

#2: Montana State 10 - Montana 7 (2002 Ended "The Streak")

#3: Montana State 24 - Akron 13 (1976 DII National Championship)

#4: Montana State 27 - Montana 20 (2003 2 in a row after "The Streak", but a great game overall)

grizband
February 6th, 2006, 02:36 PM

#4: Montana State 27 - Montana 20 (2003 2 in a row after "The Streak", but a great game overall)
#2 on your list was a horrible game, but I can see why you would list it that high. #4 was a better game, and could have honestly gone either way all the way up until that last 4th down the Griz had. I am one Griz fan who is glad that the games are competitive once again, with both teams having a shot to win each year.

CatFan22
February 6th, 2006, 02:47 PM
#2 on your list was a horrible game, but I can see why you would list it that high. #4 was a better game, and could have honestly gone either way all the way up until that last 4th down the Griz had. I am one Griz fan who is glad that the games are competitive once again, with both teams having a shot to win each year.

If that 2002 game didn't end "The Streak", it probably wouldn't be here, but it was a good game defensively. I found it entertaining, but yes, the 2003 game was excellent.

AZGrizFan
February 6th, 2006, 02:55 PM

I'd think the two years you went 1-9 ('83 and '85, I think) but your ONLY victories were over my Griz would rank fairly high on your list as well. We weren't exactly a juggernaut back then, but it's still damn embarrassing... :mad: :mad: :mad: :o :o :o

Go...gate
February 6th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Colagte actually played and lost to UD the next two regular seasons - 48-39 in 1978 (Newark) and 24-16 in 1979 (Hamilton). The 1977 loss :bawling: :bang: : flamemad :( :mad: : smh : :doh: remains one of the all-time Colgate heartbreakers.

golionsgo
February 6th, 2006, 03:00 PM
For Southeastern Louisiana, five games come to mind:

1954--SLU 13, Southern Miss (then called Mississippi Southern) 7---Our biggest hurdle on the way to our only National Championship.

1980--SLU 17, Boise State 14--Defeated the eventual National Champions on the road in our very first game as a I-AA member. Held the Broncos to minus yards in the first half and completely dominated the football game.

1950--SLU 6, Auburn 0---Our only win over an SEC opponent.

2004--SLU 51, McNeese State 17---Completely dominated the #6 (at the time) team in the country, on the road in only our second year back after reinstating our program.

2005--SLU 37, McNeese State 13---Just in case people thought 2004 was a fluke, we thumped them again in 2005.

foghorn
February 6th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Colagte actually played and lost to UD the next two regular seasons - 48-39 in 1978 (Newark) and 24-16 in 1979 (Hamilton). The 1977 loss :bawling: :bang: : flamemad :( :mad: : smh : :doh: remains one of the all-time Colgate heartbreakers.
That's when the multi-year contract ended and, sadly, was not renewed. We had some great games. Maybe we'll have them again! :)

Pards Rule
February 6th, 2006, 03:06 PM
1981 win over Lehigh, 10-3. Sounds like a boring score but was an excellent defensive stuggle with LC getting the winning TD in the 4th quarter

1994 win vs. Lehigh, 54-20. Most Valley folk had the Engineers winning easily that year

2004 win in Lehigh game giving LC the Patriot crown and first automatic berth in playoffs that year. Also must mention 2002 win, 14-7, which showed we were back from the fiasco of dumping or downgrading the program

2005 victory vs. Lehigh in last minute, 23-19, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat!

Umass74
February 6th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Some UMass Highlights:

11/06/1897-UMass beats UConn 36-0 in the first ever meeting between the schools.

09/21/63- UMass beats Maine 14-7. The Maine score is the only TD against the UMass defense that year.

11/25/72- UMass beats BC 28-8 in front of a sold out McGuirk stadium

12/9/78- UMasss meets #1 ranked and undefeated Nevada-Reno in the first ever I-AA playoffs. It's 44-7 UMass before we put in the subs.

11/16/96-Down by 20 points to UConn in the 4th quarter, UMass comes back to win with 31 seconds left.

12/19/98- Marcel Shipp rumbles for 244 yards as UMass upsets #1 GSU for a National Championship.

11/20/99- UMass wins the last game of the 102-year series against UConn 62-20 :)

Some low lights:

10/24/1885- Wesleyan-ahem- handles UMass 80-0

11/23074-BC runs for 555 yards and beats UMass 70-8

11/26/77- Lehigh WR Steve Kreider catches four TD passes (still an opponent McGuirk record) to beat UMass in the DII playoffs

10/20/90- UMass beats Delaware at the Tub 21-3, but UMass' All-America canidate QB Tom Wilkos suffers a broken neck while running the option. Wilkos remains on the field 45 minutes as both Delaware ambulances had left on other calls. Wilkos never plays again.

11/29/03- UMass turns over the ball four times in a blizzard to loose to Colgate 19-7 in the first round of the I-AA tourney.

Ivytalk
February 6th, 2006, 03:23 PM
I'll speak for Harvard... I'm sure they can agree to 'Harvard beats Yale 29-29' in 1968. That's actually the first game I thought of when I saw the thread. That win and some Rose Bowl wins were big.

With all due respect, Pard, as great as that '68 comeback was, we still got only a tie out of it! ;)

With respect to actual wins of which I have personal knowledge, I'll take the 21-16 win over Yale in '74 (Harvard scored with :16 left to gain a tie for the Ivy crown), the 10-7 win over Yale in '75 (late ruptured-duck FG won the first outright Ivy title for Harvard in the modern era), and the 28-21 win over Penn in '01 that paved the way for an undefeated season.

MR. CHICKEN
February 6th, 2006, 03:33 PM
GANNONFAN........SAID IT ALL...ON PAGE 3...'CEPT AH'D ADD DUH COME FROM BEHIND AGIN' MCNEESE STATE!............:p............BRAWK!

NSUDemon98
February 6th, 2006, 03:41 PM
I know that we are "out of season," but this site is getting downright dreary with threads about which school sold the most hot dogs in 2005 and who lays claim to the ugliest lineman. In an attempt to create some interest - any interest - here goes:

As for me, I'm not going to be the first out of the box. I need to give this some thought.

2001 - NSU vs. TCU in Overtime....NSU wins the game with a blocked field-goal.

Greatest game I have ever seen in my life....live.

HensRock
February 6th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Minor point:
Delaware was #15 seed and Montana #2 in the 1993 matchup. I have the game on tape. 4 TD's scored in final 3 minutes!

HiHiYikas
February 6th, 2006, 04:03 PM
September 26, 1936:

Appalachian - 115
Piedmont - 0

Great way to kick off a season with 5 shutouts, 8 wins, 316 points scored, and only 29 allowed. 10/12/02 was pretty good, too. So was 12/16/05. But I'm not one of those fans who believes "recent" and "most important" are synonymous. I hate that attitude among sports fans. It doesn't get more important just because you can remember it happening.

We beat SCAR, ECU, and Wake in 1975 - those were big wins, and probably the birth of the modern era of ASU football excellence after a few decades of relative mediocrity for the program.

Cap'n Cat
February 6th, 2006, 04:05 PM
I watched the 1981 game on TV, Texas State had much more speed on the field that day than the Bison. First you steel our coach (Wacker), and then you kick our a$$ in the Championship game. Great Memories though.

Hey, my boss was a Bison O-Lineman in the '81 and '82 games!

My favorite UNI games:

v SIU in 2003 and 2001

v WKU in 2001

v Georgia Southern in 1985

v Idaho in 1992 (1 v 2)

v Texas State in 2005

v New Hampshire in 2005

v Missouri State in 1990

v Iowa State in '92 and '94, both wins.

v Kansas State in 1985, 1987 and 1989, all three wins.

v Eastern Washington in 2005

Go...gate
February 6th, 2006, 04:11 PM
was that '74 Crimson club the one that "Pineapple" Milt Holt quarterbacked? That was a great Harvard team. I missed that H-Y game on ABC so I could see Rutgers squeak by Colgate, 62-21 :eek: . Better I should have stayed home!!! :bang:

Ivytalk
February 6th, 2006, 04:23 PM
was that '74 Crimson club the one that "Pineapple" Milt Holt quarterbacked? That was a great Harvard team. I missed that H-Y game on ABC so I could see Rutgers squeak by Colgate, 62-21 :eek: . Better I should have stayed home!!! :bang:

That was the one, Gate! Milt had his bell rung on a tackle shortly before his TD plunge, and he later claimed he couldn't remember the scoring play. Pat McInally was the star receiver on the '74 team.

bulldog10jw
February 6th, 2006, 04:31 PM
That was the one, Gate! Milt had his bell rung on a tackle shortly before his TD plunge, and he later claimed he couldn't remember the scoring play. Pat McInally was the star receiver on the '74 team.

As painful as that game was to me I remember it as Gary Fencik's first really big game. If I remember correctly he caught 11 passes.

I'm pretty sure that game, like the '68 game was not on network TV. Ohio State-Michigan took precedence in those days when ABC was the only network doing games and there was no ESPN.

ucdtim17
February 6th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Stanfurd. I don't think anything else needs to be said.

And it's not even close. That game was the greatest sporting event I've ever attended. Ironically, the distant second was #2 Stanford basketball beating #1 Duke in Oakland a few years back. That was great.

RadMann
February 6th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Hensrock: If you ever make a copy of that '93 Montana - UD game, I'd really like to buy a copy :) That was a great game. I saw the '77 Colgate game as a kid and I've never heard Delaware Stadium louder. Some of the games against Navy in the 80's when Gannon ran circles around them at their homecoming and when Daryl Booker stuffed Napoleon McCallum up in Newark have to be high on the all-time UD list as well.

ngineer
February 6th, 2006, 07:31 PM
1st Lehigh playoff win at Goodman stadium, and the Lambert Cup Victory in 2001. 27-24 win in OT over Hofstra. Gotta be in there somewhere.

Oh I agree that ranks up there--as does the great 1995 Lafayette game with Klingerman's catch 'in the gloamin' in OT after coming back from 16 pts down. Extremely exciting games. BUT in terms of greatest game EVER--the National Championship and the greatest lopsided loss in Penn State history, IMO, take precedence.

blukeys
February 6th, 2006, 07:48 PM
60 Minutes Hens!!

For all of you lame ass, claim to be Delaware fans, that was the headline in the Philadelphia Inquirer in the report by Bill Lyons in 1971 when the Hens beat Nova!!!

That was the day that John Bush shut down Nova's Mike Sianni. That was the day that UD ended the Nova streak from 1968. That was the day
that UD exerted its dominance on D-2 football nationwide. Forget Youngstown, or Colgate, Ask Tubby what was his most memorable win?

After losing to Nova in '69 and '70, He would say Nova in '71.

ngineer
February 6th, 2006, 08:08 PM
60 Minutes Hens!!

For all of you lame ass, claim to be Delaware fans, that was the headline in the Philadelphia Inquirer in the report by Bill Lyons in 1971 when the Hens beat Nova!!!

That was the day that John Bush shut down Nova's Mike Sianni. That was the day that UD ended the Nova streak from 1968. That was the day
that UD exerted its dominance on D-2 football nationwide. Forget Youngstown, or Colgate, Ask Tubby what was his most memorable win?

After losing to Nova in '69 and '70, He would say Nova in '71.

That probably came in reaction to the amazing upset the Hens suffered in 1970 , 36-13, to a Lehigh team that hadn't had a winning season since 1961. That win is considered the 'big spark' that lead Lehigh 'over the hump' to their past 35 years of success. LU ended up with a losing record that year, but that game was considered the beginning of a era when the Engineers started believing they could win again (although the Hens got payback in 1971 and for several years after).

blukeys
February 6th, 2006, 08:19 PM
That probably came in reaction to the amazing upset the Hens suffered in 1970 , 36-13, to a Lehigh team that hadn't had a winning season since 1961. That win is considered the 'big spark' that lead Lehigh 'over the hump' to their past 35 years of success. LU ended up with a losing record that year, but that game was considered the beginning of a era when the Engineers started believing they could win again (although the Hens got payback in 1971 and for several years after).

I was at that game and sorry to say ngineer for you Lehigh guys that had no bearing on the '71 Nova game.

From the UD side, the 70 Lehigh game will be remembered as the time that a team finally figured out that Delaware QB Jim Colbert could not throw at all. In the Nova game Colbert, A Penn State transfer, threw more interceptions than completions. The truth was that Colbert had a separated shoulder and could throw no more than 20 yards on a good day.

Lehigh loaded up the line of scrimmage with a 9 to 11 man front which UD could never exploit with a lame arm QB. The Hens were flat on offense and defense but Colbert's lame shoulder eventually shifted him to the wideout position in '71. The '71 Nova game is the one I am referring in which Colbert played as wideout.

In 1970 Colbert was a great running QB. But he was never a threat throwing the ball.

skinny_uncle
February 6th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Tough call. 3 come to mind.

SIU 43 Western Carolina 7 IAA NC game

SIU 43 New Mexico State 39 Dawgs won despite the fact that the NM State QB set a school record passing for 500 yards. The game ended on an interception at the goal line.

SIU 16 Tulsa 13 Jim Hart led the Salukis to a major upset of a nationally ranked Tulsa team in a season where we only won 3 games.

aggie6thman
February 6th, 2006, 08:30 PM
And it's not even close. That game was the greatest sporting event I've ever attended. Ironically, the distant second was #2 Stanford basketball beating #1 Duke in Oakland a few years back. That was great.

Stanfurd-Duke? What about UC DAVIS vs. Stanfurd 2005?!?!?! :nod:

McTailGator
February 6th, 2006, 08:35 PM

No. 1 = 1976 Independance Bowl vs Tulsa
No. 2 = 1997 Semi-Final Game AT Delaware
No. 3 = 1976 Regular Season come from behind win vs University of Southwestern La. to put us in the 1976 Indy bowl.

blukeys
February 6th, 2006, 09:19 PM
No. 1 = 1976 Independance Bowl vs Tulsa
No. 2 = 1997 Semi-Final Game AT Delaware
No. 3 = 1976 Regular Season come from behind win vs University of Southwestern La. to put us in the 1976 Indy bowl.

Emotionally for me personally, The UD win over McNeese In 1974 was huge. Two of my best friends were on that team. Later I became friends with Nate Beasely who broke the Cowboys back. Nate died in a car accident a year after his graduation. He was a quiet gentle giant who represented UD well on and off the field.

Aggie71
February 6th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Yup, Stanford,

However, previously it was Nevada in '77 and then ( Sorry JBB) NDSU in '82. I will consider last year's Poly game though.

We have some great wins, just haven't been able to put it to the top.

Oh yeah, some kinda beat of UOP (D1A at the time) a couple of years.

OK, old stuff again.

I have a feeling that we're not going to hear an UC Davis - Stanford FB or BB score for a score of years. Geez!!!

Go AGS

blackfordpu
February 6th, 2006, 09:31 PM
2004 - Kats beat Montana at home for first big win over an excellent I-AA team.

2004 - Kats defeat EWU in the final 45 seconds driving 75 yards to advance to the semi's where ironically we lost to Montana.

HiHiYikas
February 6th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Furman has a colorful football past.

Modern Day Wins by Furman

1988 Furman defeats Georgia Southern in Pocatello, ID for the IAA Championship.
1988 Furman defeats Marshall 13-9 in Huntington, WV in the IAA Quarterfinals.
1978 Furman defeats The Citadel 17-13 on a game ending, goal line stand to win their first SoCon Championship. Stuffed Stump Mitchell.
1976 Furman Defeats NC State in the first game of the year 17-10.
1999 Furman defeats UNC 28-3.
2000 Furman defeats Georgia Southern 45-10

Golden Years

1902 Furman defeats South Carolina 10-0, after the game the Purple Fighters held a garnet and black rooster with plucked tail feathers over their heads. This prompted the name Gamecocks to describe SC’s football team, a name they started using in 1903.

1920 Furman defeats Clemson for the first time 14-0.

1926 Furman defeats Georgia in Athens 14-7. Norwood Cleveland wagered that he would walk from Athens to Greenville if the Hurricanes won. It took Norwood 4 days.

1927 The 30 Mule Team goes 10-1 and defeats Miami, 38-7 in the forerunner of the Orange Bowl.

The Run on Beating IA Teams

1982 Furman defeats South Carolina 28-23 in the first year of being reclassified as IAA.
1983 Furman defeats Georgia Tech 17-14.
1984 Furman defeats NC ST 34-30.
1985 Furman defeats NC ST 42-20.
1986 Furman ties Georgia Tech 17-17.
Wow - that is damn impressive...enough to change my mind about which SoCon team has the best history of football excellence. Throws up a lot of "what-if's," namely "what if something like the I-AA championship had existed 100 years instead of 27-ish?"

McNeese75
February 6th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Emotionally for me personally, The UD win over McNeese In 1974 was huge. Two of my best friends were on that team. Later I became friends with Nate Beasely who broke the Cowboys back. Nate died in a car accident a year after his graduation. He was a quiet gentle giant who represented UD well on and off the field.

I was in school and remember listening to the 1974 game on the radio. That game haunted me until 1995 when the Pokes finally settled the score. The 1997 Semi-final game was a great one as well.

McNeese75
February 6th, 2006, 10:08 PM
For Southeastern Louisiana, five games come to mind:

1954--SLU 13, Southern Miss (then called Mississippi Southern) 7---Our biggest hurdle on the way to our only National Championship.

1980--SLU 17, Boise State 14--Defeated the eventual National Champions on the road in our very first game as a I-AA member. Held the Broncos to minus yards in the first half and completely dominated the football game.

1950--SLU 6, Auburn 0---Our only win over an SEC opponent.

2004--SLU 51, McNeese State 17---Completely dominated the #6 (at the time) team in the country, on the road in only our second year back after reinstating our program.

2005--SLU 37, McNeese State 13---Just in case people thought 2004 was a fluke, we thumped them again in 2005.

Wow, glad to see we made your highlight reel twice. Not much to be said about it now, but, believe me, we have not forgotten the last two years and look forward to your visit this year :D

carney2
February 6th, 2006, 10:21 PM
I admit I am cheating with the media guide here... but I had these dates in mind anyhow..

10/7/1896 0-0 tie vs. Princeton, we both won the national title that year

11/19/1921 28-6 win vs. Lehigh, won national title thay year too

10/9/1926 17-7 vs. Pittsburgh, they were a high caliber team, and we won the national championship that year too

10/26/1940 19-0 vs. Army, our only win vs. Black Knights, went 9-0 that year and recieved an AP ranking

11/18/1944 64-0 vs. Lehigh, our biggest win vs. Lehigh to date

From about 1948 onwards, we toiled between mediocrity and down right awful until the Bill Russo area of 1981-1997. Although many of the older alums might add some other games, here is what I can deduce from what I've heard and learned.

11/21/1981 10-3 vs. Lehigh, they were an excellent team that year and we were not getting any respect until we end up winning the game. This was about the team of Lehigh's title teams.

9/17/1988 28-20 vs. Holy Cross, it was the Gordie Lockbaum era and Holy Cross was slicing through everyone. I think that was HC's only league loss in the middle of long winning streaks.

11/23/2002 14-7 vs. Lehigh, Hawks national preseason #1, we had not won in seven meetings, we are on the upswing as a program, getting no respect, and Lehigh was seeking a PL title. Included 'the Drive' and 'the Call' First of three 'oooops' games for Lehigh.

9/25/2004 21-16 vs. Richmond, big-bad A10 schollie team coming off a big win over ranked UMass. Overall a great game, and there was that insane ending of both teams thinking they won the game.

10/16/2004 14-13 vs. Bucknell, time will tell with this game and I'm only listing it for the ending.. BU needing a FG to win it, we block it, ball goes right back to the kicker, scoops it up, sweeps down the right sideline, half our team is celebrating we won and half are dumbfounded, kicker is sprinting down the sideline uncontested and is being tracked by Torian Johnson on an angle... Johnson tackles kicker inside the one-yard line to preserve win, and eventually the PL title

11/20/2004 24-10 vs. Lehigh, our first ever I-AA playoff berth

11/19/2005 23-19 vs. Lehigh, overall great game, we all know the ending, and it gave us our first ever at-large I-AA bid.

Maybe I am a bit biased with the recent dates, but they truly are humungous.

Well done, Pard4Life. I have hi-lited the two "modern" wins that, if not the "greatest," may be the most important. After that period when the Pards "toiled between mediocrity and downright awful," and especially after the dreary Neal Putnam years, the 1981 win capped the season where Bill Russo, in the words of one pundit, "saved football on College Hill." The 2002 Lehigh game marked the rebirth after that flamin' "drop football or drop to D-III" crap of the late 90's. These were "statement" games.

JoltinJoe
February 6th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Fordham's greatest win has to be the 1942 Sugar Bowl, a 2-0 win over Missouri in what is the lowest scoring bowl game in college football history.

The game was played in New Orleans only three weeks after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. The Rams chose the Sugar Bowl over the Rose Bowl after the Rose Bowl announced that it would move the game from Pasadena due to the fear of having a large crowd so close to the Pacific.

Played in a persistent rain, the Rams scored the game's only points when Senior Alex Santilli blocked a Missouri punt, which rolled through the end zone for a safety.

The onset of World War II brought an end to big-time football at Fordham. Shortly after the game, the Rams' Hall of Fame coach, Jim Crowley, resigned in order to enlist in the armed forces. Many Fordham players left school in order to enlist also, and the 1942 Rams were undermanned en route to a 5-3 season -- the first time Fordham ever finished outside of the AP's Top 20 final season poll.

Football was discontinued for the remainder of the war. After the war, Fordham's president announced the end of big-time football at Fordham, saying it was his hope that "Fordham will never again field a great football team." Although football returned, it returned on a de-emphasized basis.

So that 1942 Sugar Bowl win stands as a high-water mark and an end of an era for Fordham football.

Santilli, the hero of that great win in New Orleans, was one the first Fordham alumni to die in his country's service in World War II.

Kill'em
February 6th, 2006, 11:10 PM
This topic will bring lots of debate with Georgia Southern fans. Most would say the huge comeback against Furman in 1985, for our first National Championship is the biggest. I say it is the win AT Middle Tennessee that year. Earlier in the year they beat us 35-10 and we had to travel to their place in the playoffs and beat them up. I must also add they were ranked #1 at the time.

ucdtim17
February 6th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Stanfurd-Duke? What about UC DAVIS vs. Stanfurd 2005?!?!?! :nod:

Yeah I said that was #1 and Stanford-Duke a distant 2nd

Pard4Life
February 6th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Fordham's greatest win has to be the 1942 Sugar Bowl, a 2-0 win over Missouri in what is the lowest scoring bowl game in college football history.

The game was played in New Orleans only three weeks after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. The Rams chose the Sugar Bowl over the Rose Bowl after the Rose Bowl announced that it would move the game from Pasadena due to the fear of having a large crowd so close to the Pacific.

Played in a persistent rain, the Rams scored the game's only points when Senior Alex Santilli blocked a Missouri punt, which rolled through the end zone for a safety.

The onset of World War II brought an end to big-time football at Fordham. Shortly after the game, the Rams' Hall of Fame coach, Jim Crowley, resigned in order to enlist in the armed forces. Many Fordham players left school in order to enlist also, and the 1942 Rams were undermanned en route to a 5-3 season -- the first time Fordham ever finished outside of the AP's Top 20 final season poll.

Football was discontinued for the remainder of the war. After the war, Fordham's president announced the end of big-time football at Fordham, saying it was his hope that "Fordham will never again field a great football team." Although football returned, it returned on a de-emphasized basis.

So that 1942 Sugar Bowl win stands as a high-water mark and an end of an era for Fordham football.

Santilli, the hero of that great win in New Orleans, was one the first Fordham alumni to die in his country's service in World War II.

Not quite.. Catholic and Arizona St. played to a 0-0 tie in the 1940 Sun Bowl. And maybe there is another scorless tie somwhere. But, you probably have the lowest winning score ever.

Pard4Life
February 6th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Well done, Pard4Life. I have hi-lited the two "modern" wins that, if not the "greatest," may be the most important. After that period when the Pards "toiled between mediocrity and downright awful," and especially after the dreary Neal Putnam years, the 1981 win capped the season where Bill Russo, in the words of one pundit, "saved football on College Hill." The 2002 Lehigh game marked the rebirth after that flamin' "drop football or drop to D-III" crap of the late 90's. These were "statement" games.

Perfect wording!.. statement game... You could lable that Richmond win a statement game. Tavani was going banannas after that win about the statement it made.

I was also thinking of putting a Marsh game vs. Lehigh on the list but i was not sure if they were 'huge' games aside from being the traditional rivalry game.

JoltinJoe
February 6th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Not quite.. Catholic and Arizona St. played to a 0-0 tie in the 1940 Sun Bowl. And maybe there is another scorless tie somwhere. But, you probably have the lowest winning score ever.

Oops. Should have said lowest scoring major bowl game.

89rabbit
February 7th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Sept. 28, 1935

SDSU 13 - Wisconsin Badgers 6

blur2005
February 7th, 2006, 02:37 AM
Most of the biggest wins for JMU all happened during the 2004 season, of course.

I'd say it goes like this:

#1 JMU 31, Montana 21, JMU wins National Championship - not the best game of the year for a Dukes team that was down to the wire in every game it seemed, but considering it was still a good game and in the biggest game of the year. Plus, it seems to have given the Dukes a recruiting edge and has been a boon to the program.

#2 JMU 14, Furman 13, 2004 Quarterfinals - Basically, this is when the thought really entered all Dukes fans that we could fricken win the whole shabang. We were clear underdogs, and when we got the ball back with a little under 5 minutes left, get the immediate holding call, have 1st and 20 at like our own 10. We then drive the field and score with practically no time left on 4th down. Dear Lord, the drama of that game. The blocked kicks, the Furman fumble right at the goalline earlier in the game...man it was so good.

#3 JMU 21, Virginia 14, sometime in the early 80s. I don't remember exactly which year it was, but Gary Clark (Future Redskins' Fun Bunch member) returned a kick for a 90 yard TD, something like that, and had another TD to help the Dukes beat a hapless, but definitely superior UVA squad. That was the year before Welsh came in, I think. That was also the last time UVA played the Dukes in football...I wonder why? I'd like to see them play again, seeing as I go to UVA.

#4 JMU 20, Delaware 13, 11/6/04 at Bridgeforth Stadium. Matchup of #10 JMU and #4 Delaware. Though Delaware outgained the Dukes 466 to 166 in total yards, the Dukes pulled it out of the bag. It's my personal favorite because it was really the most exciting game in my opinion, even more so than Furman, during the 2004 campaign. The stunning 87-yard TD return by Cortez Thompson to give the Dukes the lead 20-13, with 3:04 remaining, was probably the most chilling moment I've ever had watching a football game live. The place was absolutely NUTS. Then Delaware drives to the 5 yard line, only to be stopped on 4th down with 20-something seconds left. Mike Shickman's call on Thompson's return "No flags, no flags, there are no FLAGS!!! Touchdown Dukes!!", still gets me. Though I was at the game, I've listened to it a few times since just to relive it...goosebumps.

I can't say what were some other big wins from the early 90s because my memory of Dukes games starts sometime around '95, when I started going with my Dad to every home game.

lucchesicourt
February 7th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Yeah, the UCD beating Stanford last year has to be the biggest win ever. However, for pure excitement, back in 1971 (I think it was) UCD, led by our now coach Bob Biggs, scored 16 points in about 19 seconds to beat Hayward State. That was the most remarkable victory in a game where we were on the verge of defeat. This is the game that marked the beginning of Aggie Pride.

ngineer
February 7th, 2006, 06:38 AM
I was at that game and sorry to say ngineer for you Lehigh guys that had no bearing on the '71 Nova game.

From the UD side, the 70 Lehigh game will be remembered as the time that a team finally figured out that Delaware QB Jim Colbert could not throw at all. In the Nova game Colbert, A Penn State transfer, threw more interceptions than completions. The truth was that Colbert had a separated shoulder and could throw no more than 20 yards on a good day.

Lehigh loaded up the line of scrimmage with a 9 to 11 man front which UD could never exploit with a lame arm QB. The Hens were flat on offense and defense but Colbert's lame shoulder eventually shifted him to the wideout position in '71. The '71 Nova game is the one I am referring in which Colbert played as wideout.

In 1970 Colbert was a great running QB. But he was never a threat throwing the ball.

I do remember us loading up the box in that game. Of course, our QB, Gerry Berger was only 5'7" and couldn't throw either because he couldn't see over the line! :D For us, that was considered a 'turning point' in Dunlap's rejuvenation of a longtime moribound program.

kats89
February 7th, 2006, 07:05 AM
2004 - Kats beat Montana at home for first big win over an excellent I-AA team.

2004 - Kats defeat EWU in the final 45 seconds driving 75 yards to advance to the semi's where ironically we lost to Montana.

Those were two VERY big wins for the program. Montana was ranked #1 in the country at the time and the EWU game, 'nuff said. I would also have to say another big win for us in 2004 was the game against McNeese. We were down by a couple of touchdowns in a game that had become a shootout, finally winning 52-47. It was a big win because we had just some off an emotional win at SFA after a big fight and losing 9 players to suspension.

Another big win was the game against Alcorn St at home when Steve "Air" McNair was QB and was actually a possible Heisman Trophy candidate at the time. With all the hype around the game, we smoked them on a regionally broadcast game on ABC and the largest crowd to date at Bowers Stadium.

http://www.gobearkats.com/pics/bowersalcorn.jpg

blueballs
February 7th, 2006, 07:42 AM
For Richmond, it would probably be the 1968 Tangerine Bowl win over national ranked Ohio. Though the 1985 win over Virginia Tech, which boosted UR up to No.1 in 1-AA at the time, was pretty big too. There have been some nice 1-AA playoff wins as well, but those first two tend to stand out in UR's history.

I was at that game.

Go...gate
February 7th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Colgate's win in the 1932 season finale against Brown capped the famous "Undefeated, Untied, Un-Scored Upon, and Uninvited" campaign, so I think this has to be high-water mark. However, the win over Florida Atlantic in the 2003 1-AA FB Semifinals to reach the Championship Game should also be right up there.

Tubby Raymond
February 7th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Colgate's win in the 1932 season finale against Brown capped the famous "Undefeated, Untied, Un-Scored Upon, and Uninvited" campaign, so I think this has to be high-water mark. However, the win over Florida Atlantic in the 2003 1-AA FB Semifinals to reach the Championship Game should also be right up there.
That is so pititful that you gotta head back to 32?

Beaten the stinking Patsy League psuedo champs in 03, by a bunch and stopping the all everything pretender of a running back, can you say 50 yds rushing :hyped:

Spider1976
February 7th, 2006, 02:52 PM
10/13/73: Richmond 42, Southern Miss 20
10?20/73: Richmond 38, West Virginia 17.

Back-to-back wins at City Stadium, each drew well over 20,000. Last year of Frank Jones coaching era, who was stupidly fired after an 8-2 season and great recruiting class. Had he remained we still might be I-A.

ChickenMan
February 7th, 2006, 02:53 PM

Beaten the stinking Patsy League psuedo champs in 03, by a bunch and stopping the all everything pretender of a running back, can you say 50 yds rushing :hyped:

this isn't the 'smack' board... :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2:

aggie6thman
February 7th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Yeah I said that was #1 and Stanford-Duke a distant 2nd

I meant basketball!!

BigApp
February 7th, 2006, 06:32 PM
[QUOTE=carney2]Giving some detail, please describe your school's greatest win ever.
QUOTE]

Why? You might be surprised by the answer! :read:

carney2
February 7th, 2006, 09:07 PM
[QUOTE=carney2]Giving some detail, please describe your school's greatest win ever.
QUOTE]

I doubt it.

Go...gate
February 7th, 2006, 09:19 PM
It's nice to know you are consistent. You are as big an a$$hole on this board as you are on the Colgate board. And you still have no class.

P.S. After posting this late last night I got to thinking that I was out of line in attacking you - though I completely disagree with you, mudslinging is beneath the dignity of this board. I take back calling you what I did.

Pard4Life
February 7th, 2006, 09:45 PM

I though your biggest win ever would be hiring Dick Biddle as coach? :smiley_wi

Pete's Weekly
February 7th, 2006, 10:07 PM

You need to realize that the game of football, back then, was played under different rules in different parts of the US, based on British/Irish/Welsh/Scottish county rules ... and scoring was not uniform. In the Northeast US, football was what is known as Rugby today, played under the rules of Rugby county/city. So, like Rugby, kicking was emphasized. In fact, one point was awarded to the opponent of a team that forwarded the ball (with hands) beyond the line of scrimage. This was called a "safety". A goal, was worth 5 points, and was scored only by a kick. In some colleges/leagues, they had "touchdowns" ... which were worth 4-points. If a conversion was made, an additional 4-points was awarded, for a total of 8. The ball always had to change possesion between the QB and any other player. Thus the drop-kick, as possession changed when the ball touched the ground prior to be contacted by the kickers foot. Touchdowns were very rare & not all regions of the country recognized them in football. It was considered poor man's football, as it did not emphasize the kick. In the very late 1800's, the TD was changed to a value of 5 points, with the conversion having a value of 1. It was just after this point that most leagues officially recognized the touchdown. It was at this point that football began to distinguish itself from Rugby.

The East Coast League used to require that a TD be scored by one designated player, and only he could touch the ball. Decades later, this became known as the "quarterback", as as he was restricted to the space one-quarter of the way between the the line of scrimage and the "throwers" ... later known as the full and half backs. The backs would actually throw the quarterback over the line of scrimage, as a forward pass was illegal. Ithica college (I think) placed a military helmet (leatherneck) on the QB, as many QB's suffered sever head trauma, and even death. This was the birth of today's football helmet. Because of theses deaths, they later allowed the forward pass, only on scoring plays.

ngineer
February 7th, 2006, 10:36 PM

You are on the wrong board. Take your smack stuff where it belongs. : smash :

ucdtim17
February 7th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I meant basketball!!

Ohh sorry. Basketball is probably top 10, but nothing like the football game was. A few more college football games, A's games, and high school basketball games in their with the UCD-LJSU bball game.

JoltinJoe
February 8th, 2006, 07:18 AM
You are on the wrong board. Take your smack stuff where it belongs. : smash :

Yea, go to the Smack Board, wait until your team wins a major bowl game, and then post something. :nod:

pete4256
February 8th, 2006, 07:57 AM
QUOTE]

Based on crowd reaction, App's biggest win might have been 1999's narrow victory over the future-champion GSU Eagles (possibly the greatest I-AA team of all time). :nod:

Tubby Raymond
February 8th, 2006, 11:04 AM
It's nice to know you are consistent. You are as big an a$$hole on this board as you are on the Colgate board. And you still have no class.

You make it way too easy waa waa

boozeANDammo
February 8th, 2006, 11:33 AM
#3 JMU 21, Virginia 14, sometime in the early 80s. I don't remember exactly which year it was, but Gary Clark (Future Redskins' Fun Bunch member) returned a kick for a 90 yard TD, something like that, and had another TD to help the Dukes beat a hapless, but definitely superior UVA squad. That was the year before Welsh came in, I think. That was also the last time UVA played the Dukes in football...I wonder why? I'd like to see them play again, seeing as I go to UVA.

The year was 1982 and this 11 year-old-at-the-time was at the game!

Hey, don't forget that 1974 romp over Gallaudet, 75-15 or that disappointing LOSS (29-41) to Staunton Military Academy in 1973, our first year on the gridiron! :doh:

HiHiYikas
February 8th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Based on crowd reaction, App's biggest win might have been 1999's narrow victory over the future-champion GSU Eagles (possibly the greatest I-AA team of all time). :nod:
Yeah, I pretty much ignored the "no-ASU-fans" start to this thread, citing a 115-0 Mountaineer win in the 30's that was one of the brighter spots of our most dominant decade.

You're absolutely right about the significance of the 99 APP-GASO game - when I addressed fellow Baptist Student Union members as a Senior in 2001, I said "my only regret in 4 years at ASU is that, for some poor reason or another, I decided not to go the the GASO game in 1999. Don't make the same mistake I did." It was an interesting bit of advice, given the group was probably expecting something more, uh, spiritual.

Winning a championship this year made a lot of App fans forget the "so-close" losses and seasons that ended sooner and sadder than we'd hoped. The flip side is that it makes us forget some of those big wins we posted on the way. I think spectacular underdog-type wins against favored conference rivals are equally exciting to matching up with some team from the other side of the country in a championship game.

Gil Dobie
February 8th, 2006, 12:46 PM
A win over Georgia Southern in 2006 would make North Dakota States top 10.

GannonFan
February 8th, 2006, 01:39 PM
A win over Georgia Southern in 2006 would make North Dakota States top 10.

You should probably wait and see if it is good GSU team or not - no guarantee with a change in the offense that they'll be an elite team next year.

BigApp
February 10th, 2006, 03:30 PM
I doubt it.

Well, we have beaten South Carolina, East Carolina, Wake Forest among others...

blackfordpu
February 10th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Those were two VERY big wins for the program. Montana was ranked #1 in the country at the time and the EWU game, 'nuff said. I would also have to say another big win for us in 2004 was the game against McNeese. We were down by a couple of touchdowns in a game that had become a shootout, finally winning 52-47. It was a big win because we had just some off an emotional win at SFA after a big fight and losing 9 players to suspension.

Another big win was the game against Alcorn St at home when Steve "Air" McNair was QB and was actually a possible Heisman Trophy candidate at the time. With all the hype around the game, we smoked them on a regionally broadcast game on ABC and the largest crowd to date at Bowers Stadium.

http://www.gobearkats.com/pics/bowersalcorn.jpg

Great game, One of the best I have seen. :nod:

McTailGator
February 10th, 2006, 07:39 PM

That 74 game still gets press down here.

JBB
February 10th, 2006, 07:57 PM

That was the biggest win since Grambling. The only other time I have heard the Grambling win mentioned was this yr when the BISON beat Wisconsin in BB.

We iced your Kicker for what is arguably the greatest DII win by the BISON.

Our schedule this year gives us a couple greatest wins ever possibilities including BaLL State and GSU.

CoastalFan2005
February 10th, 2006, 08:43 PM
I've got a top four of my personal opinion, plus just one I listed to round out my top five.

#5- CCU @ South Carolina State, 2005.

#4- CCU vs. Gardner-Webb, 2005: CCU's first-ever overtime game, although sloppily played, was as exciting as another game during the 2005 season. Josh Hoke became our Adam Vinatieri for the night.

#3- CCU vs. Charleston Southern, 2004: In this, the final game of CCU's 2004 season, we resoundingly defeated Charleston Southern 56-28 to win the Big South Championship in just our second year of playing football. This game also wrapped up a 10-1 season.

#2- CCU vs. Newberry, 2003: CCU's first ever football game, which everyone expected us to lose by virtue of it being our first game. But with a dramatic 97-yard scoring drive to win the game, CCU came out and made a statement in its first game. A goal post was torn down, as was the case in my #1 game...

#1- CCU vs. James Madison, 2005: Going into the 2005 season, many people scratched their heads as to why lowly CCU had scheduled the number one team in the nation. Entering the game, even I was sure that we had no chance against JMU. But the magic began this night in Conway, where the Chants completed a 93-yard scoring drive in front of CCU's largest crowd ever (8,000+ in a 6,408-seat stadium) to win the game. For the second time in three seasons, fans had a reason to tear down a goalpost after the game. CCU WR Jerome Simpson's amazing one-handed catch during the final drive became one of ESPN SportsCenter's #1 Plays during the week following the game.

That's my opinion - later!

leatherneck177
February 10th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Best win ever, in terms of what I have seen, which only dates back to 2000, would probably be the win over Northern Illinois when they won in DeKalb, the same season that NIU beat Iowa St. and Wake Forest and barely lost to Wisconsin.

Best game would probably be the quarterfinal win in Montana. Blocking a FG attempt to end the game in overtime is on of the greatest endings I have ever heard.

JALMOND
February 11th, 2006, 04:32 AM
I shall only cover Portland State's short history in I-AA. To include our time in DII would tax my brain too much.

Our best win in I-AA is our win over Montana in 1999. To be considered one of the best, you have to beat the best and we finally got over that hump. After that game, we realized we truly belonged in I-AA and the Big Sky.

GSUEagles47
February 11th, 2006, 10:13 AM
All 6 National Championship games for "The Greatest D1-AA Team Of All Time" The Georgia Southern Eagles. xprost2x

DuckDuckGriz
February 11th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I shall only cover Portland State's short history in I-AA. To include our time in DII would tax my brain too much.

Our best win in I-AA is our win over Montana in 1999. To be considered one of the best, you have to beat the best and we finally got over that hump. After that game, we realized we truly belonged in I-AA and the Big Sky.

That was such an awesome game!! Tied at 21 at the end of the first quarter. The OT was ridiculous. If that extra point hadn't been blocked the game would have gone on forever....51-48 final score.....Nightmares of Terry Charles and Chip Dunn

UNHWildCats
February 11th, 2006, 05:12 PM
I would probably say 2004 at Georgia Southern, the game proved New Hampshire was for real.

00bluehen
February 11th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Beating Georgia Southern 2004 didn't make UNH "for real." If it was the greatest win in school history simply because it was a playoff win over a traditional power, then that's saying something entirely different...

Beating Rutgers at Rutgers, as badly as they did, was a more impressive victory and did more to prove UNH was "for real," IMO. As a Hen fan, it validated their win in Newark the week prior.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 12th, 2006, 10:49 AM
it would either have to be our epic comeback in the 1985 NC (with 10 and half minutes left in the third, racked up 38 points and won by 2) or of course the shootout in 1989 IAA NC.

Delaware Ghostrider II
March 5th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I'd have to say Delaware vs. Colgate 2003 Championship game.....first time EVER a school shut out another in a Championship game...40-0!!!!

UNH 40
March 6th, 2006, 08:04 AM
I would probably say 2004 at Georgia Southern, the game proved New Hampshire was for real.

Couldn't agree with you more. Going to Georgia Southern and beating them as we did in the first round of the playoffs where they had never been beaten ment so much to the UNH program. I will never forget that as long as i live, the way our defense came back in the second half was unbelievable. In the first half GSU ran for 278, in the second half we adjusted to hold them to 66 yds. It was Great!!!

UNH 40
March 6th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Beating Georgia Southern 2004 didn't make UNH "for real." If it was the greatest win in school history simply because it was a playoff win over a traditional power, then that's saying something entirely different...

Beating Rutgers at Rutgers, as badly as they did, was a more impressive victory and did more to prove UNH was "for real," IMO. As a Hen fan, it validated their win in Newark the week prior.

Another Great game. Probably my favorite win ever. I loved taking the challenge of stepping up and playing against a team that said i wasn't good enough to play for and beating them badly. The best part about this was that they had a huge fireworks display prepared in hopes of celebrating what was supposed to be an easy home win. Instead we were celebrating with our fan section on there field as the fireworks went off. It was awesome.

bcrawf
March 6th, 2006, 07:33 PM
I can think of the top 3 for UNI:

1990- Over SMS for the Gateway title, first sellout in the Dome

1996- #1 UNI 27- #2 Idaho 26- Biggest crowd I have ever seen in the Dome. Future NFLer Mike Hollis misses a field goal for Idaho as time expires.

2005- UNI 40 Tx St 37- First semifinal win!!

Space Reserved- 2006 National Title Game!! :hurray: :hurray:

mtgriz34
March 6th, 2006, 10:22 PM
I'd have to say the greatest game in grizzly history was the win in 2000 in the semifinal against appalacian state. Double overtime Jimmy Farris in the corner of the endzone for the win.

Tod
March 6th, 2006, 11:40 PM
I can think of the top 3 for UNI:

1990- Over SMS for the Gateway title, first sellout in the Dome

1996- #1 UNI 27- #2 Idaho 26- Biggest crowd I have ever seen in the Dome. Future NFLer Mike Hollis misses a field goal for Idaho as time expires.

2005- UNI 40 Tx St 37- First semifinal win!!

Space Reserved- 2006 National Title Game!! :hurray: :hurray:

I think you can add the other two playoff wins you had in '05. All great games!

App_State_Guy
March 14th, 2006, 01:25 AM
C'mon ASU fans, have you forgotten the "Miracle on the Mountain"? (I know most Furman fans try to!) We have never gotten as much play time on national sports news coverage. That one play could easily go down as one of sports most memorable top 10 plays. Still to this day, er rather last home playoff game against Furman in December, I saw students holding up "Go for 2!" signs. That game was and forever will be a classic!

Kill'em
March 14th, 2006, 07:10 AM
C'mon ASU fans, have you forgotten the "Miracle on the Mountain"? (I know most Furman fans try to!) We have never gotten as much play time on national sports news coverage. That one play could easily go down as one of sports most memorable top 10 plays. Still to this day, er rather last home playoff game against Furman in December, I saw students holding up "Go for 2!" signs. That game was and forever will be a classic!
That is an interesting choice. The National Championship game cemented App St's place in history but "The Miracle on the Mountain" will be legendary. You can't go wrong with either.

OL FU
March 14th, 2006, 07:18 AM

You mean:

Stupidity in the Sticks.
Blowing it in Boone. (Almost afraid to type that one)
Hiccup in the Hills.

What's this miracle on the mountain?:confused: :)

Uncle Buck
March 14th, 2006, 07:41 AM
In the time that I have been associated with Hofstra football, I would probably say the 1994 game when we beat New Hampshire 28-6 on our homecoming. I believe we were both 5-0 and this was our first big test of the season. It also happened to be the game that Wayne Chrebet really started to turn heads. I believe UNH also went on to win the Yankee Conference that year as well. IMO, this game solidified the direction that we were trying to go in transitioning from D-III to 1AA.

grizband
March 14th, 2006, 05:44 PM
I'd have to say the greatest game in grizzly history was the win in 2000 in the semifinal against appalacian state. Double overtime Jimmy Farris in the corner of the endzone for the win.
That was definately one of my favorite Griz games of all-time.

HiHiYikas
March 14th, 2006, 06:02 PM
That is an interesting choice. The National Championship game cemented App St's place in history but "The Miracle on the Mountain" will be legendary. You can't go wrong with either.
The stakes at the NC game are high, but they're artificially high. What I mean there is that if ASU and UNI had played one another in September, it's just another game (albeit a very good one.) Whether ASU and Furman face off in early September or the National semifinals, it's huge.

Rival games are almost always more memorable. Now when the NC game is also a big rivalry game, that's as huge as it gets.

GaSouthern
March 14th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Rival games are almost always more memorable. Now when the NC game is also a big rivalry game, that's as huge as it gets.

= GSU VS. Furman Hatred!!!!!!!!
:D

Kill'em
March 15th, 2006, 06:17 AM
The stakes at the NC game are high, but they're artificially high. What I mean there is that if ASU and UNI had played one another in September, it's just another game (albeit a very good one.) Whether ASU and Furman face off in early September or the National semifinals, it's huge.

It's too bad the Georgia Southern - App St games are rarely exciting. Usually one team dominates from the start of the game and wins easily. Our games with Furman are just the opposite. There a few real blowouts and the game is usually won in the last few minutes.

MYTAPPY
March 15th, 2006, 10:18 AM
When we beat GSU in Boone when they were #1 in the nation (forgot what year that was.....I want to say 99 or 98), that was pretty huge. That was when we knocked out the window of one of the GSU vans with the goalpost (by accident).

HiHiYikas
March 15th, 2006, 10:20 AM
It's too bad the Georgia Southern - App St games are rarely exciting. Usually one team dominates from the start of the game and wins easily. Our games with Furman are just the opposite. There a few real blowouts and the game is usually won in the last few minutes.
Furman has a way of playing us that way, too. The last 17 meetings between FU and ASU have been decided by fewer than 2 total points, I think.

colorless raider
March 15th, 2006, 11:16 AM
:(

JDC325
March 15th, 2006, 01:19 PM
All 6 National Championship games for "The Greatest D1-AA Team Of All Time" The Georgia Southern Eagles. xprost2x

That was a pretty easy was'nt it!:hurray:

Kill'em
March 15th, 2006, 01:46 PM
When we beat GSU in Boone when they were #1 in the nation (forgot what year that was.....I want to say 99 or 98), that was pretty huge. That was when we knocked out the window of one of the GSU vans with the goalpost (by accident).
The year was 1998, however the year y'all took out the bus was 2003.

gsuwinsudont
March 15th, 2006, 02:20 PM
The year was 1998, however the year y'all took out the bus was 2003.

Actually it was 99. our only loss in 98 was to umass in the title game.:(

Still so funny to see a school tear posts down after sending a team to a 4-3 record as we were after that 03 contest. :rolleyes:

SoCon48
March 15th, 2006, 02:40 PM

Actually it was ASU's unbdefeated un-scored season in 1937 or the 1975 win over USC in Columbia.

Kill'em
March 15th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Actually it was 99. our only loss in 98 was to umass in the title game.:(

Still so funny to see a school tear posts down after sending a team to a 4-3 record as we were after that 03 contest. :rolleyes:
I can't believe I put '98! :doh: I knew better than that :bang:

GaSouthern
March 15th, 2006, 04:58 PM
I really wish PJ could have went 15-0 in 1998 ,or was it only 14 games that season he could have won?

Kill'em
March 15th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Nope. The 15th game was very winnable. It's hard to give up 31 points on turnovers and the defense being pushed all over the field that killed us. Remember most of those turnovers came on consecutive possessions deep in our own territory, like, the 20 yard line. We still put up a lot of points but the offense gave up more points than the defense did.

HiHiYikas
March 15th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Actually it was ASU's unbdefeated un-scored season in 1937 or the 1975 win over USC in Columbia.
I think I already went there in this thread - close, anyway...

September 26, 1936:

Appalachian - 115
Piedmont - 0

Great way to kick off a season with 5 shutouts, 8 wins, 316 points scored, and only 29 allowed.

In 1937 we only ouscored opponnents by 199 points (counting the 0-7 loss in the 'no game designation' postseason game in Biloxi.) In 1936 it was 287.

Mr. C
March 16th, 2006, 08:32 PM
As painful as that game was to me I remember it as Gary Fencik's first really big game. If I remember correctly he caught 11 passes.

I'm pretty sure that game, like the '68 game was not on network TV. Ohio State-Michigan took precedence in those days when ABC was the only network doing games and there was no ESPN.
Actually, the 1968 Harvard-Yale game was televised regionally to the East. ABC was very much into regionalization in those days. Generally, you would get a doubleheader of an East Coast game and then a west coast game. That weekend, for those of us growing up in California, you would generally see Ohio State-Michigan and then UCLA-USC. ABC would then take highlights from all of its televised games from Saturday and work it into a noon-time highlight show on Sundays. I remember seeing the Sunday highlights show the day after the Harvard-Yale classic (Ohio State-Michigan was also a classic game that day and UCLA-USC wasn't half-bad either). They made a real big deal on the show of the Harvard-Yale game. Years later, PBS put together a program, hosted by the late Curt Gowdy, called "The Way It Was." It combined highlights of great games and studio interviews with players from each team. One of the shows was about the Harvard-Yale 1968 game. Years later. ESPN Classic picked up "The Way It Was" and re-aired this classic many times. What a great game and a great comeback. Ralph might like to know that tight end Pete Varney of Harvard, who scored the tying points, later was a catcher with his beloved Chicago White Sox.

Mr. C
March 16th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Minor correction: Montana won 19-16 in the first OT. It was an exciting finish to see in person, though both teams struggled offensively that day, despite gaining 760 yards combined. The defenses got tough in the red zone. Washington-Grizzly definitely lived up to all of its hype. ASU's Troy Albea, who had already gotten ASU back in the game with a 40-yard TD catch with 8:28 left, broke a tunnel screen in the final minute on fourth and long from deep in Mountaineer territory, cutting against the grain and then speeding down the left sideline. He was barely tackled by the last man who had a chance, knocking him out of bounds around the 10. ASU had to settle for a field goal to tie the game and send it to OT. The Mountaineers got the ball first and nearly scored a touchdown when Joe Burchette zipped a pass to a wide open Rashad Slade in the back of the end zone. The Montana safety stumbled back and managed to get one fingertip on the ball to deflect it away and ASU settled for another field goal. Farris then beat All-American Corey Hall (who, like Farris, made it to the NFL the next year) on the fade route in the right corner of the end zone for a 15-yard TD pass from Drew Miller to win the game. I remember cascades of students coming over the walls to mob Farris in the end zone. It was quite a scene and a very enjoyable and memorable road trip.

bulldog10jw
March 16th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Actually, the 1968 Harvard-Yale game was televised regionally to the East. ABC was very much into regionalization in those days. Generally, you would get a doubleheader of an East Coast game and then a west coast game. That weekend, for those of us growing up in California, you would generally see Ohio State-Michigan and then UCLA-USC. ABC would then take highlights from all of its televised games from Saturday and work it into a noon-time highlight show on Sundays. I remember seeing the Sunday highlights show the day after the Harvard-Yale classic (Ohio State-Michigan was also a classic game that day and UCLA-USC wasn't half-bad either). They made a real big deal on the show of the Harvard-Yale game. Years later, PBS put together a program, hosted by the late Curt Gowdy, called "The Way It Was." It combined highlights of great games and studio interviews with players from each team. One of the shows was about the Harvard-Yale 1968 game. Years later. ESPN Classic picked up "The Way It Was" and re-aired this classic many times. What a great game and a great comeback. Ralph might like to know that tight end Pete Varney of Harvard, who scored the tying points, later was a catcher with his beloved Chicago White Sox.

The reason I know that the 1968 Yale-Harvard game was NOT televised on network TV is because I sat in the New Haven Arena to watch the game on closed circuit TV and paid $6 for the priviledge. Since there was no regional broadcast, the two schools had to set something up for the thousands of Alumni and students who could not get tickets since the game was at Harvard which only held 40,000. Yale totally dominated in every way but 6 fumbles did them in. (even though it was a tie game everybody at Yale regards it as a loss)

I-AA Fan
March 18th, 2006, 09:50 AM
For YSU in my lifetime:

1969 vs USN-Pennsecola: Everyone gathered to watch two little-known QB's ...YSU's Ron Jaworski vs USN-P's Roger Stauback. Guins lost

1978 vs UNI: First time I saw YSU on national TV, or any TV. Win.

1981 vs UNI. YSU had just gone DI, and made changes to win 7 straight. UNI beat them in OT. Really good game.

1981 and 1984 vs Cincinnati: Good wins for YSU.

1982 vs MTSU: Down 10-9 after a TD, YSU goes for 2 and misses. On the ensuing kick-off, YSU downs the ball on the MTSU 1. The next play YSU takes down the MTSU QB and TB for a safety and an 11-10 win.

1986: YSU vs Akron. Tressel's first year, final game. He was on the "hot-seat" as YSU was 1-9 with arch-rival Zips comming to town. To add spice to the match; Tressel had just been an assistant at Akron. Also, former Notre-Dame HC Gerry Faust had just taken the HC job at Akron, and he was one of the finalists for the YSU job. Many Penguin faithful (myself included) wanted Faust, and felt they had "settled" for Tressel. But Akron announced they were going IA, and Faust withdrew from consideration at YSU ... & went to Akron. YSU won a thriller 40-39. Not a good year in Ytown, but the win sure helped make it more palatable. YSU went on to beat the new and improved "IA" Zips again in 1987. Another great game.

1989 vs EKU: Play-off game YSU 28-24.

1989(?) vs Liberty (other Penguin or Flames may have a better memory): Not much of a game, but it was at YSU, and then Liberty HC (former Browns HC) Sam Rutigliano was also a finalist for the YSU job a few years earlier. Needless to say, he took the most fan abuse I have ever seen. I believe Sam's infamous play call (for the browns) was "98-red" or "red-right-98", which resulted in the championship loss. For those of you that do not know, Youngstown is about an hour from Cleveland and Pittsburgh. At the YSU vs Liberty game, the stands were not filled with the usual Penguin red & white ...but orange/brown and black/gold. There were banners being held up by the YSU/Browns fans, and of course, the YSU/Steelers faithful joined right in with the taunting. When the refs called a technical, the fans became even louder ..."98-red, 98-red, 98-red". It was the funniest thing I ever saw. They hung and burned a Cleveland Browns "Sammy Doll" in the tailgate lot I was in. YSU agreed to play the next scheduled game at Liberty, because of the incident. Also, the traditional emotionless Tressel admonished the crowd with a slight grin.

Many more memories since.

DuckDuckGriz
March 18th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Minor correction: Montana won 19-16 in the first OT. It was an exciting finish to see in person, though both teams struggled offensively that day, despite gaining 760 yards combined. The defenses got tough in the red zone. Washington-Grizzly definitely lived up to all of its hype. ASU's Troy Albea, who had already gotten ASU back in the game with a 40-yard TD catch with 8:28 left, broke a tunnel screen in the final minute on fourth and long from deep in Mountaineer territory, cutting against the grain and then speeding down the left sideline. He was barely tackled by the last man who had a chance, knocking him out of bounds around the 10. ASU had to settle for a field goal to tie the game and send it to OT. The Mountaineers got the ball first and nearly scored a touchdown when Joe Burchette zipped a pass to a wide open Rashad Slade in the back of the end zone. The Montana safety stumbled back and managed to get one fingertip on the ball to deflect it away and ASU settled for another field goal. Farris then beat All-American Corey Hall (who, like Farris, made it to the NFL the next year) on the fade route in the right corner of the end zone for a 15-yard TD pass from Drew Miller to win the game. I remember cascades of students coming over the walls to mob Farris in the end zone. It was quite a scene and a very enjoyable and memorable road trip.

I still get goosebumps about that game -- for ASU to rally from being down 13-3 and come back and nearly win that game at the end. Wash-Griz was SO LOUD during that OT period! I remember when Farris caught it I was so caught up in the pandemonium that when I looked down at the field again there was not a piece of grass in sight -- I dont know know thousands of people can jump an 8-10 foot wall that quickly.

The game was like a heavy weight fight the whole way. Did ASU have a running back named Hoover or something? He was really good.

Saint3333
March 18th, 2006, 10:01 PM

The 1996 (Bake Baker comeback in the 'boro), 1999 (17-16 in Boone), and 2000 (Burchette's comeback falls short 28-34) were some of the better ASU-GSU battles.

HiHiYikas
March 19th, 2006, 09:40 PM
The game was like a heavy weight fight the whole way. Did ASU have a running back named Hoover or something? He was really good.
Joey Hoover, whose big brother Brad played for WCU and is now fullback for the Carolina Panthers. Don't recall how he figured in that game. I caught the tail end on the radio - just enough to ruin my day.

I didn't realize how badly that game bummed me out until I started reading these recaps. That's a tough loss, but if you're going to get eliminated, might as well fight hard and make it memorable.

Kill'em
March 19th, 2006, 11:23 PM
The 1996 (Bake Baker comeback in the 'boro), 1999 (17-16 in Boone), and 2000 (Burchette's comeback falls short 28-34) were some of the better ASU-GSU battles.
I don't even want to think about the '96 game. I usually don't blame the officials for deciding the outcome of a game but the no-call on the last play of the game is one of the worst I've ever seen.

However, It was a great comeback by App St. Baker killed us.

BULLDOG8180
March 20th, 2006, 11:20 AM
1990 Citadel 38- South Carolina 35
1992 Citadel 10- Arkansas 3
beat Navy back to back in 1988 (42-35) and 1989 (14-10)
beat Army back to back in 1991 (20-14) and 1992 (15-14)

wkuhillhound
March 23rd, 2006, 10:28 AM
Without a shadow of a doubt.

#1 The 2002 National Championship Game in Chattanooga......Western Kentucky 34 McNeese State 14!!!

#2 2002 Semi-final game against Georgia Southern. WKU dominates the 1st half and part of the 3rd quarter until the Eagles rallied to tie it up with about 2 minutes left in the game and then WKU scores another TD to continue WKU's cinderella run to the national championship.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 23rd, 2006, 10:58 AM
You mean:

Stupidity in the Sticks.
Blowing it in Boone. (Almost afraid to type that one)
Hiccup in the Hills.

What's this miracle on the mountain?:confused: :)

Again, there was nothing stupid about going for 2 in that situation. A two point lead has no realistic advantage over a one-point lead, so you have nothing to lose and if you make the 2PC you can still be tied if App State had made a field goal on the ensuing drive. That play was just a freak occurance (hence the name MIRACLE IN THE MOUNTAINS) and if I were Bobby Lamb and got into that situation again I'd go for two again.

OL FU
March 23rd, 2006, 11:49 AM
Again, there was nothing stupid about going for 2 in that situation. A two point lead has no realistic advantage over a one-point lead, so you have nothing to lose and if you make the 2PC you can still be tied if App State had made a field goal on the ensuing drive. That play was just a freak occurance (hence the name MIRACLE IN THE MOUNTAINS) and if I were Bobby Lamb and got into that situation again I'd go for two again.

I almost agree with you.:D

To be honest I have not participated in all the discussions of what went wrong and I am not a Lamb basher by any means.(I think he will be the best coach FU has ever had and that includes the my favorite to date- Dick Sheridan). Going for two was not that bad. But the entire play was horrid from the beginning. You either run or pass deep into the endzone. I know hindsight is 20/20, but you just don't throw the ball parallel to the goal line. Maybe that was one of the few Napier screw ups. Maybe it was Lambs screw ups. Maybe there was mis-communication. Doesn't matter. It was only a miracle because it was the wrong play. Period.

Appstate29
March 23rd, 2006, 11:51 AM

The reason why it was not a smart move is because App did not have enough time to drive down the field and kick a field goal. You only go for one here because these freakish things don't happen if you are kicking an extra point, but the do on two point conversions. Young coaches make mistakes like this all the time, and i'm sure just about every coach who has an analytical mind over experience would go for two when all you needed to do was kick the point and then tackle on the ensuing kickoff.

Kill'em
March 23rd, 2006, 02:10 PM
With a one point lead andnot enough time to run a play after the kickoff I wouldn't have even risked the extra point. I would have the quarterback take a knee. Then the only miracle for App would have been to run the kick back.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 23rd, 2006, 02:20 PM
I watched that game on TV on FSN and I seem to remember there being enough time for a few more plays (I believe App had to kneel twice after they recovered the onside to end it) I'm not sure what the timeout situation was, and I could be off about the amount of time left, but I'm sure they wouldn't have needed to return the kickoff all the way to win it.

Still, how often do you see defensive two point conversions?? not nearly as often as you see 2PC attempts themselves. I'd like my chances better if my team had to return one final kickoff to win it than if I needed them to take possession of an opposing team's 2PC and run it back.

OL FU
March 23rd, 2006, 02:34 PM
I watched that game on TV on FSN and I seem to remember there being enough time for a few more plays (I believe App had to kneel twice after they recovered the onside to end it) I'm not sure what the timeout situation was, and I could be off about the amount of time left, but I'm sure they wouldn't have needed to return the kickoff all the way to win it.

Still, how often do you see defensive two point conversions?? not nearly as often as you see 2PC attempts themselves. I'd like my chances better if my team had to return one final kickoff to win it than if I needed them to take possession of an opposing team's 2PC and run it back.

I think there was 7 seconds left.

Quote from FU SI dept ( I think)

Derrick Black took a pitch following an interception by teammate Josh Jeffries on a Furman two-point conversion attempt and completed a 96-yard return for two points with 7.4 seconds left in the game to lift NCAA I-AA nationally fourth-ranked Appalachian State to a 16-15 win over fifth-rated Furman Saturday at Kidd Brewer Stadium.