PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Week 7 Predictions

Mountaineer
October 11th, 2010, 12:26 PM
All games are taking place on Saturday, October 16. Eight teams are in action with Elon enjoying a bye week.

Current Standings:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7132/socon6stand.jpg

Western Carolina @ Wofford - 1:30 p.m.
Furman @ Samford - 1 p.m. (2 p.m. EDT) - SportSouth
The Citadel @ Appalachian State - 6 p.m.
Georgia Southern @ Chattanooga - 6 p.m.

insideout08
October 11th, 2010, 12:38 PM
All games are taking place on Saturday, October 16. Eight teams are in action with Elon enjoying a bye week.

Current Standings:

Furman @ Samford - 2 p.m. (3 p.m. EDT) - SportSouth

Minor correction - the Furman-Samford game is at 1 CT/2 ET.

Smitty
October 11th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Western Carolina @ Wofford - Western doesn't have anything going on currently in the football department. I expect them to lose the rest of the season. Wofford wins by at least 24
Furman @ Samford - Furman beats Samford by 17
Citadel @ Appalachian State - Unfortunately not really a chance of an upset here App St. wins by a mile
Georgia Southern @ Chattanooga - Most interesting game of the week. Chattanooga keeps it close for most of the game but Georgia Southern pulls away in the 4th quarter.

appfan2008
October 11th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Western Carolina @ Wofford
Furman @ Samford
The Citadel @ Appalachian State
Georgia Southern @ Chattanooga

Old school big four take the weekend...

Mountaineer
October 11th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Minor correction - the Furman-Samford game is at 1 CT/2 ET.

Yup, you're right. I thought all SS games were on at 3 Eastern. Corrected in first post. xnodx

Furman @ Samford

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 11th, 2010, 01:02 PM

Current Standings:

I will stand by my predictions posted earlier:

Western Carolina @ Wofford - This game will not be as close as it was last year.
Furman @ Samford - Paladins have no problem here.
The Citadel @ Appalachian State (Beatdown of the week) - Any hope of The Citadel winning the SoCon title dies this Saturday.
Georgia Southern @ Chattanooga (Game of the week) - Mocs take care of business in a close game.

SideLine Shooter
October 11th, 2010, 01:32 PM
WC over WCU
UTC over GSU
FU over SU
ASU over The Citadel

Saint3333
October 11th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Western Carolina @ Wofford - Going to get ugly and quick - Wofford by 28
Furman @ Samford - Upset alert, Samford's got a new QB and Furman's defense isn't as good as Furman fans thought - Furman out scores Samford by 4.
The Citadel @ Appalachian State - ASU has been better vs. the run than the pass, on paper ASU should be able to stop them and score quite a few times - NP
Georgia Southern @ Chattanooga - ASU fan hoping UTC wins, but GSU will likely be able to hold BJ and the boys to 20 or under and GSU will be able to run for 300 yards - GSU by 13.

biggie
October 11th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Western Carolina @ Wofford - Shouldn't be close
Furman @ Samford - may be close early but Furman should pull away
The Citadel @ Appalachian State - Hoping we can possibly win with a backup QB as possibly will have to
Georgia Southern @ Chattanooga - close but think UTC plays an entire game and at home

Woof
October 11th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Western Carolina @ Wofford - Like the way my Terriers are playing on both sides of the ball for the last 2 weeks. No letting up this week.
Furman @ Samford - Furples try to keep OL out of jail and regain their stride... but Sammy keeps it close.
The Citadel @ Appalachian State - UGLY! Moore may hang 60+ on hapless dogs to impress pollsters?
Georgia Southern @ Chattanooga - Game of the Week. Eaglets still smarting from home loss should come out with something to prove.

AppAlum
October 11th, 2010, 03:42 PM
WC over WCU
GSU over UTC
SU over FU
ASU over The Citadel

OL FU
October 11th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Western Carolina @ Wofford - 1:30 p.m. Wofford in a big Wofford Way.
Furman @ Samford - 1 p.m. (2 p.m. EDT) - SportSouth. Furman by a blocked FG or EP or a case of beer (take your pick)
The Citadel @ Appalachian State - 6 p.m. The Citadel may put the basketball team in at halftime because ASU's halftime score might look like that is the game they are playing.
Georgia Southern @ Chattanooga - xeyebrowxxeyebrowxxeyebrowx
I picked against GSU most of the year, so let's change their luck. I am picking GSU (makes it certain they will lose):D

GaSouthern
October 11th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Western Carolina @ Wofford - Woffie by 21
Furman @ Samford - Furman by 10
The Citadel @ Appalachian State - App by 17
Georgia Southern @ Chattanooga - GSU by 10 (more if they start their 3rd string FB)

GSU's main running back against wofford was the 4th string Lee Banks, if we can get our 2nd or 3rd string back then we should give him some rest and win going away.

ASU_MBA
October 11th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Western Carolina @ Wofford - Wofford by 28
Furman @ Samford - Furman by 17
The Citadel @ Appalachian State - App by 21
Georgia Southern @ Chattanooga - Chatty in overtime

and the quote of the week from the Asheville NC paper:

"Saturday was Western Carolina's homecoming, but most of the home fans just wanted to go. As players from WCU and Samford set up for the second-half kickoff, so many people were trying to reach the exit beyond one end zone that a line along Whitmire Stadium's walkway stretched past the 50 yard line. The Catamounts had given their supporters little reason to stay." ouch.....don't kill the messanger here....
http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20101010/SPORTS/310100076/1061

beanburrito
October 11th, 2010, 06:34 PM
That happens at most WCU games, or so I've been told. People come out to see the band, which is awesome, more than they do the team, and once the band does its halftime show a big chunk of the crowd heads for the exits.

james_lawfirm
October 11th, 2010, 06:45 PM
The Citadel @ Appalachian State - UGLY! Moore may hang 60+ on hapless dogs to impress pollsters?

Well, App may score that many, but if so, it will be with 2nd & 3rd stringers in. Coach Moore might be trying to do things, but trying to impress pollsters will not be one of them.

Mntneer
October 11th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Wofford by a long shot. WCU, get your $#!7 together already. But I won't hold my breath since I don't think Wagner is the guy to do it.

Furman comfortably.

ASU by as many as they want. I'm skeptical of calling for a blowout after last week's game vs Elon, but The Citadel is just that bad.

SoCon game of the week! I'm going to go with Chatty but not with much confidence.

Smitty
October 11th, 2010, 06:50 PM
That happens at most WCU games, or so I've been told. People come out to see the band, which is awesome, more than they do the team, and once the band does its halftime show a big chunk of the crowd heads for the exits.

It is like a fire drill went off on the one side of the stadium... Everybody heads out after half time.

T-Dog
October 11th, 2010, 06:55 PM

This is true. The only game the students even remotely care about is the App game.

Baldy
October 11th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Georgia Southern @ Chattanooga - Game of the Week. Eaglets still smarting from home loss should come out with something to prove.

THE one philosophical point that Paul Johnson bangs into his team and coaching staff minds (with a sledgehammer) is that good teams DO NOT lose two games in a row.

SpeedkingATL
October 11th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Western Carolina @ Wofford -The Ankle Biters are aparently much better than I expected them to be. WCU has played a couple of good games and been horrible in the rest. Wofford will roll.

Furman @ Samford- Hard to figure either one of these teams, both of which have been a little less than I expected. Furman has some key injuries but Samford has a tendicy to play tough against good teams but rarely win. Home field at Samford is less than imposing so I expect Furple in a close one.

The Citadel @ Appalachian State -Everyone appears to expect ASU to roll and they should but every year the Citdogs give the Apps fits. This year it's a night game and The Rock will be a big home advantage. Apps win.

Georgia Southern @ Chattanooga -Game of the week in the SoCon. GSU is farther along than expected and defense has been much better than anticipated. UTC plays like a champion for 3 quarters but has trouble nailing down the win over a good team. I can't see GSU losing 2 in a row but nothing would surprise me in this one. GSU scores a TD in the last minute to win at Chatty.

SU DOG
October 11th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Wofford - NO problem
Samford - It IS time for the upset.
App State - NO problem
UTC - I really don't know, but going with the home team.

seantaylor
October 12th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Woffie
Samford
Appy
UTC.

If GSU gets McKinnon some reps at QB, I'll switch my pick.

WCU LawCat
October 12th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Western Carolina @ Wofford - Wofford by 28
Furman @ Samford - Furman by 17
The Citadel @ Appalachian State - App by 21
Georgia Southern @ Chattanooga - Chatty in overtime

and the quote of the week from the Asheville NC paper:

"Saturday was Western Carolina's homecoming, but most of the home fans just wanted to go. As players from WCU and Samford set up for the second-half kickoff, so many people were trying to reach the exit beyond one end zone that a line along Whitmire Stadium's walkway stretched past the 50 yard line. The Catamounts had given their supporters little reason to stay." ouch.....don't kill the messanger here....
http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20101010/SPORTS/310100076/1061

Mounting situations like the one form the Asheville paper have finally forced Chancellor Bardo to step down. Announced yesterday. We will have a new chancellor in July and maybe....just maybe we can get the football ship turned around.

Woof
October 12th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Mounting situations like the one form the Asheville paper have finally forced Chancellor Bardo to step down. Announced yesterday. We will have a new chancellor in July and maybe....just maybe we can get the football ship turned around.

Hope things turn around, but let's wait til after Saturday, ok ?xsmiley_wix

IMHO, the new chancellor's first order of business should be to change the school colors to something other than that god-awful color: purple xnodxxnodxxnodx

GATA
October 12th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Woffie
Samford
Appy
UTC.

If GSU gets McKinnon some reps at QB, I'll switch my pick.

I disagree about giving him "some reps."

Either pull the trigger and completely hand the reigns to McKinnon as the starter or stick with Jaybo.

I think it would be exciting to see what Jerick could do, but Jaybo is steady and smart and I think he should get every rep unless he goes down.

catamount man
October 12th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Once the new WCU chancellor is named, about another 6 months, his 1st step will be to start looking at both a new AD and a new football staff. I am so sorry I ever drank the Dennis Wagner kool-aid. Knowing whom we HAD signed, sealed, and delivered and then Bardo boycotting it........well........there's a reason our football program has sucked due to chancellors either not caring or being micro managers.

Wofford by 42
Samford by 7
ASU by 45
GSU by 3

KiddBrewer
October 12th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Western Carolina @ Wofford - Like the way my Terriers are playing on both sides of the ball for the last 2 weeks. No letting up this week.
Furman @ Samford - Furples try to keep OL out of jail and regain their stride... but Sammy keeps it close.

Moore is far more likely to play 2nd/3rd stringers and try to win comfortably (which would be more impressive IMO) than try to run up the score to impress pollsters. Knowing the man, "impressing pollsters" isn't very high on his to-do list.....and I suppose he's justified in his lack of effort to attempt to do so, because really, what does he need to impress them for since we have a playoff?:)

KiddBrewer
October 12th, 2010, 12:17 PM
but, with that said....i hope our football team isnt as confident that we will "walk in, roll them over, and go home" as us fans are haha, or we might end up getting our tails beat....

Smitty
October 12th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Hope things turn around, but let's wait til after Saturday, ok ?xsmiley_wix

IMHO, the new chancellor's first order of business should be to change the school colors to something other than that god-awful color: purple xnodxxnodxxnodx

You know I don't mind the current color purple, at least it is a rich color instead of a faded purple or a flamboyant purple...

biggie
October 12th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Moore is far more likely to play 2nd/3rd stringers and try to win comfortably (which would be more impressive IMO) than try to run up the score to impress pollsters. Knowing the man, "impressing pollsters" isn't very high on his to-do list.....and I suppose he's justified in his lack of effort to attempt to do so, because really, what does he need to impress them for since we have a playoff?:)
Still may have to start 2nd string QB, if not and we are up early I'd expect Presley not to play more than a quarter.

I can't go into it with great confidence, but do feel better about our D stopping the run instead of the pass.

Ivytalk
October 12th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Wofford
Furman
App State
GSU

kdinva
October 13th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Wofford 38, WCU 16
Furman 27; Samford 20
App. St. 44, The Citadel 12
GSU 31, UTC 18

GaSouthern
October 13th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I see a trend of ASU fans picking chatty... :)

OLDMAIN80
October 13th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Wofford - NO problem
Samford - It IS time for the upset.
App State - NO problem
UTC - I really don't know, but going with the home team.

Have to agree with SU DOG. Don't understand all the love Furman is getting over Samford.

Apps03
October 13th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I see a trend of ASU fans picking chatty... :)

At time of writing this its 6-4 in favor of Chatt. with one (that I put in the Chatt column) saying its basically a toss up. I think it could be a good game and one close enough that I won't make a prediction. Absolutely the game of the week in the conference and one I would love to watch. What are you inferring?

Jiggs
October 13th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Furman @ Samford

longtimemocfan
October 13th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Western Carolina @ Wofford Western could come out swinging or just give up.
Furman @ Samford Depends on what Samford team shows up.
The Citadel @ Appalachian St. By enough
Georgia Southern @ Chattanooga Huesman's always defended the option well. We also have 3 very good backs to help play keep away.

WCU LawCat
October 13th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Once the new WCU chancellor is named, about another 6 months, his 1st step will be to start looking at both a new AD and a new football staff. I am so sorry I ever drank the Dennis Wagner kool-aid. Knowing whom we HAD signed, sealed, and delivered and then Bardo boycotting it........well........there's a reason our football program has sucked due to chancellors either not caring or being micro managers.

Wofford by 42
Samford by 7
ASU by 45
GSU by 3

I'm not sold yet that Chip and Wagner are a problem. I just think that it is hard for a player to get fired up at a football game when they see people not entertained by the game and are more entertained by the band. The video board audio problems, lack of game day coordination etc. Football to the big boys in the White House is just not being made important. We need to make Saturday in Cullowhee important again.

Smitty
October 13th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I'm not sold yet that Chip and Wagner are a problem. I just think that it is hard for a player to get fired up at a football game when they see people not entertained by the game and are more entertained by the band. The video board audio problems, lack of game day coordination etc. Football to the big boys in the White House is just not being made important. We need to make Saturday in Cullowhee important again.

Unfortunately it is a two way street. If the performance was better, people would stay for the games.

The bad part is though you have to start off with performing better.

TBone
October 13th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Wofford 42, WCU 10; Terriers run for 400 yards
Furman 24, Samford 21; Furman comes from behind
App. St. 48, The Citadel 9; No problem for App St.
GSU 24, UTC 21; GSU makes a late FG to win

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 13th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Wofford rolls...and rolls and rolls and rolls
GSU rebounds and beats Chatty in Noogaville
App. State: a lot the Citadel: a lot less
Furples win by 14

gsueagle2424
October 14th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Wofford - by as much as the Ninja wants
App - Will struggle against Citadel Offense at first but pick up steam and beat them by 2 TD's
Samford - Furman needs a new head coach.
GSU - 38-24 over a much improved Chatty. Our offense will expose their depth problem.

GaSouthern
October 14th, 2010, 07:24 AM
At time of writing this its 6-4 in favor of Chatt. with one (that I put in the Chatt column) saying its basically a toss up. I think it could be a good game and one close enough that I won't make a prediction. Absolutely the game of the week in the conference and one I would love to watch. What are you inferring?

I was just suggesting that App fans would like them to be really good because of the scare they gave ASU to start the season... because is GSU slaughters them (it wont happen) then that would give App fans a reason to worry. I'm just over thinking it :D

Aho_Old_Guy
October 14th, 2010, 08:19 AM
I was just suggesting that App fans would like them to be really good because of the scare they gave ASU to start the season... because is GSU slaughters them (it wont happen) then that would give App fans a reason to worry. I'm just over thinking it :D

I think the Mocs are good. I also think Appalachian fans always have reason to worry when they do battle in Paulson.

But I also think GSU has reason to worry. The game with UTC may well define their season. A loss at Chatty effectively means GSU must win out to guarantee a playoff appearance this year (with upcoming games against Samford, Appalachian & @ Furman).

I think the Mocs are in the same, if not more precarious, position. A 7-4 UTC is definitely a bubble team with their SoS, and 8-3 is a 'lock' for them (especially compared to a 9-2 'Big Fluffy' team with a SoS of *100*)

The Cats
October 14th, 2010, 02:51 PM
going out on a limb here.....

Furman @ Samford

asucrutch23
October 14th, 2010, 03:02 PM

Furman @ Samford

xprayxxprayxxprayxxprayxxprayx

Apps03
October 14th, 2010, 03:26 PM

I got ya. Chatt may not win the game but I also think you'll notice a significant improvement from the UTC teams of the last several years. We've tried to state that but all we get is the smack because it was a close win. We just want the rest of the conference to play them and see for themselves before giving us crap about close game, that we still won.

Woof
October 14th, 2010, 03:27 PM

Be sure to take your saw with you and saw furiously behind you. :)

Smitty
October 14th, 2010, 03:43 PM
You know I would let Wofford score 50 points if that means we can pull off a win against APP on the 23rd....

sav eagle34
October 14th, 2010, 03:58 PM
We just want the rest of the conference to play them and see for themselves before giving us crap about close game, that we still won.

You mean Chatt lost. No smack here, but they lost that game. Credit to you guys for persevering and being able to come out on top. I knew then we would have big trouble with them. I think it's possible that they are even more dangerous now because of those two early season loses. Kind of the wounded animal mentality. And now I guess that since I chose to interject I should play along.

Wofford over WCU - Wofford's o-line is second to no one I've seen this year & Brietenstein has ball carrier vision that is as good as I've seen in years.

App over Citadel - Easily

Samford over Furman - I debated this one for a while. Should be close either way. Samford will try to pound it & I think that Furman can be pushed around up front. Worley seems an enigma right now. If he's on I think Furman can win by 2 td's but I haven't seen it so far.

Chatty over Southern - I hate it but I just see them outscoring us. We better show a fierce pass rush or Coleman will pick us apart. We will have to control the clock, commit zero turnovers, and give no short fields or we got problems.

SouthernEagle02
October 15th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Western Carolina (2-4, 1-2) at Wofford (4-1, 2-0)
WCU makes the short trip to Spartanburg, looking to rebound after a lopsided loss to Samford, to face the Wofford Terriers. Not really much to say about the Cats performance against Samford. They were scoreless until early in the 4th quarter, held under 250 total offensive yards, gave up 3 sacks, & tossed 4 interceptions. The WCU defense though, did hold the Bulldogs to a low 35% 3rd down conversion rate, so minor victory there. Wofford returns home after squeaking by Georgia Southern 33-31. The Terriers option attacked gained 302 yards on the ground and was a perfect 3-3 in the red zone. The defense did their part by limiting the Eagle option to only 243 rushing yards and sacking Jaybo Shaw 4 times. Truthfully, Wofford wins this game…even if they get caught looking ahead to Elon next week.
Wofford 45 Western Carolina 3

Furman (3-2, 1-1) at Samford (3-3, 1-2)
Furman takes their #2 scoring offense on a weekend getaway to beautiful Birmingham and the campus of Samford University. In the Paladin’s last contest, they welcomed and subsequently destroyed perennial MEAC power Howard, 56-14. Furman ran 59 offensive plays and gained nearly 450 offensive yards as a result. Cody Worley led the offense, throwing for 139 yards & 2 TD’s. The Paladin D contributed to the cause by forcing 2 fumbles, picking of Bison QB Randy Liggins, and also sacking him. Samford returns home after thumping Western Carolina 38-7. In the Bulldog victory, Connor Lowery led the way with 167 passing yards while Chris Evans led the ground attack with 131 rushing yards and 3 TD’s. Samford’s defense certainly didn’t play the like the #7 defense, as they forced 2 fumbles, garnered 3 sacks, & 4 interceptions. A couple of folks here feel Samford is due for a victory over Furman. As for me, I’m still on the fence about that. Furman hasn’t played like they were expected too, as they were expected to be #2 in the conference but find themselves in a two way tie for fourth at the halfway point, while Samford has played better than most expected. Even with that, I still think Furman comes out with the win.
Furman 28 Samford 24

The Citadel (2-4, 0-3) at App St. (5-0, 3-0)
After dropping their last game, The Citadel Bulldogs make the trip up to Boone to play the defending SoCon champs. Against Chattanooga, The Bulldogs option offense managed to gain 238 rushing yards & 10 points, but defeated themselves as they had 2 fumbles, allowed a sack, and tossed an interception which led to a Moc’s score. In their hard fought win over Elon (editors note: While I didn’t get the score right, I did call the margin of victory of 3 points) the Mountaineers DeAndre Presley continued to show he’s a dual threat by running for 170 yards and 2 TD’s while throwing for 204 yards and 1 TD. The Bulldogs need not get caught looking at the fall colors as it this game could get ugly. If I’m Coach Moore, I use this game as an opportunity to rest most of my starters after the second series…but I’m also telling my team NOT to look forward to Furman as The Citadel could easily sneak out with a victory.
App St. 49 The Citadel 21

Georgia Southern (3-2, 1-1) at Chattanooga (3-2, 2-1)
Well, where do I start? If you’ve taken a look at the Eagle message board after the game and through the week, then you’ll know mess has hit the fan so to speak. The Eagles got beat, nothing more nothing less. The #2 rushing offense was held to only 243 yards and gave up 3 fumbles and an ugly 4 sacks, but never gave up as they battled back. The Eagle did their best holding the Terriers option attack to their second lowest rushing total, forcing 2 fumbles, and sacking Mitch Allen. The Moc’s return to Finley after defeating The Citadel 28-10. Keon Williams led the rushing offense with 101 yards and 2 TD’s while BJ Coleman tossed 157 yards and 2 TD’s. The #3 defense certainly lived up to that as they held Citadel’s option attack to 263 total yards, forcing 2 fumbles, and a sack. This game features the #1 rush defense (UTC) going against the #2 rush offense (GS). Both teams have seen images of each other already this season with UTC seeing the option against Citadel and Georgia Southern seeing a pass heavy offense with Elon. The consensus is picking the Moc’s to win this game. Taking off my “homer” hat and putting on my “analytical” hat, I can see that happening. While the Eagles were able to disrupt Scott Riddle enough to beat Elon, I think UTC’s coach will have prepared the O-Line and will not allow the Eagle D to do the same with Coleman. Add to that, they saw an option style offense the week prior. The Eagles need this win. Not so much for a playoff berth (I still think it’s a tad unreasonable expectation for us this year), but just for the momentum going into the second half of the season with games against Furman and App still ahead. The Eagle O-line must do a better job of protecting Jaybo and creating opportunities for the running game. The Eagle D needs to do what they’ve been doing all season…GATA. But even after all that, I still cannot bring myself to not pick the Eagles.
Georgia Southern 35 UTC 31

Apps03
October 15th, 2010, 03:00 PM
****SARCASM****

I see a trend of GSU fans picking Wofford over WCU. Is that because you hope Wofford is actually that good?