18. Southeast Missouri St. 436
19. New Hampshire 407
20. Southern Illinois 334
21. Furman 322
22. Richmond 246
23. Northern Iowa 241
24. Western Illinois 237
25. Texas St. 214
Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Robert Morris (31), Chattanooga (30), Bethune-Cookman (25), Elon (21), Northern Arizona (19), Pennsylvania (17), Central Arkansas (14), Grambling St. (12), Youngstown St. (6), Colgate (5),

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: Wofford
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Richmond

Lehigh Football Nation
October 11th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Colgate behind Youngstown, Grambling and Chattanooga? Really, now?

As for Texas State and WIU still being in the Top 25, I won't go there.

Side Judge
October 11th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Colgate behind Youngstown, Grambling and Chattanooga? Really, now?

As for Texas State and WIU still being in the Top 25, I won't go there.

I was kinda thinking the same thing - Colgate's losses to Syracuse and Furman (and of course wins in their other 3 games) shouldn't drive them so low in the rankings. Realistically their path is straightforward - win out and they make the playoffs at 9-2. Lose 1 more and 8-3 might still be good enough with the expanded playoffs. Oh, and maybe in the future not schedule an FBS and a SOCON/CAA OOC game in the same season...

4th and What?
October 11th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Colgate behind Youngstown, Grambling and Chattanooga?

Exactly what is rocketing Colgate up in the polls? The 1 point win over 1-4 Monmouth? The strong win over 1-3 Princeton? Or the strong win over Georgetown? Granted, Georgetown appears much improved, but a win over them hardly solidifies a spot in the top 25. They had two tough games this year against Furman and Syracuse and got blown out by 30 or more in both.

If Colgate can have a strong showing throughout their PL schedule (and the PL is having a very down year) then you'll see them.

Youngstown - Has a strong win against a decent CCSU squad. And has only been blown out by Penn St. A loss to Missouri St definitely hurts them, but fine with them in ORV.

Chattanooga - Lost to 2 of the top 5 teams by a total of 5 points. Have taken care of business against everyone else (granted, no one else real tough). But I will put a 1 point loss to App St and a 4 point loss @ Jacksonville St up against a 30 point loss to Furman, and a 35 point loss to Syracuse any day of the week.

Grambling St - Again I'm fine with them in ORV. They have taken care of business in the conference (yes....it's SWAC) including giving Jackson St their only loss. Their only loss is by 14 to an FBS team (grant, a below average one). I don't see anything Colgate has done that proves them better than Grambling St.

Dane96
October 11th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Another depressing poll questioning what the f people are watching/how they are voting.

RMU, Chatty...deserve to be in.

UNH, Richmond and UNI do not belong in this poll at this time.

As for Colgate...they are in the 25-35 range...but I have Grambling, Bethune, and Columbia ahead of them.

jmufan999
October 11th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Another depressing poll questioning what the f people are watching/how they are voting.

well after all, it is FCS football... so most of the voters are watching their own team then MAYBE another game if they're ambitious. just not much coverage out there. SOME, just not even remotely what there is for FBS football. that's why we have this site. :)

appfan2008
October 11th, 2010, 12:47 PM

As for Colgate...they are in the 25-35 range...but I have Grambling, Bethune, and Columbia ahead of them.

I agree... maybe I am crazy but I had chatty at 14... their loss to asu and jsu were tight and have won everything else... big weekend for them against gsu this week...

401ks
October 11th, 2010, 12:48 PM
What's the beef with Chattanooga? I had them in my Top 25.

Two losses to the #2 and #3 teams in FCS by a total of 5 points. Colgate was crushed by the #21 team in FCS by 30 points. Maybe both belong in the Top 25, but IMHO Chattanooga should be ranked higher than Colgate at this point.

JMUNJ08
October 11th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Our 26-28 are all solid teams at least and we didn't vote Elon at 2-4 in the top 25 but 21 people haven't checked their record since the preseason still. Our poll did beat TSN this week for this sole reason by a LONG shot. UNH and Richmond should be out by next weekend if the voters pay any attention!

4th and What?
October 11th, 2010, 01:09 PM
So here's a question that has probably been beaten to death in the past, but is there any thought to making polls public? Is that going to drive the # of voters down for them getting trampled by complaints? I'm sure I'd be at the top of that list by putting Dayton in at #24 on my poll, put it really does seem like half the people voting don't pay attention to anything outside the top 5.

Squealofthepig
October 11th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Hmm, only 69 voters this week? We have, what, close to 80? Anyone know why our number of voters might be down?

There are two things in the poll that are a bit maddening... preseason favorites that continue to lose but stay in the poll; and underrespected teams leapfrogging like crazy after an impressive win (see Jacksonville State, NDSU around the week two poll, and Wofford this week). I think Wofford's about where they should be (I could argue a few places up or down), but it is odd to see teams suddenly jumping way up when voters should have at least had them on their radar. I'd urge everyone to look at each team they voted for and see if they can find one or two teams outside of their polll that should be included. (My two would be BC and Penn; I think Penn I can legitimately leave outside of the top 25 (but still in consideration), but BC maybe should be ranked.

Squealofthepig
October 11th, 2010, 01:22 PM
So here's a question that has probably been beaten to death in the past, but is there any thought to making polls public? Is that going to drive the # of voters down for them getting trampled by complaints? I'm sure I'd be at the top of that list by putting Dayton in at #24 on my poll, put it really does seem like half the people voting don't pay attention to anything outside the top 5.

I wouldn't mind that, and do think there should be some sort of peer review - it's frustrating to spend a few hours comparing teams in the 10-25 range and then seeing a poll that makes you scratch your head. It might make sense to publish the ballots, and not the username with them, to put the focus on the votes and not perceived homerism.

WileECoyote06
October 11th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I have six matches and another five teams within 1 of the rankings. My only outlier is Grambling; who is suffering from their SWAC affiliation. I think they are better than most people realize.

GreatAppSt
October 11th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I have six matches and another five teams within 1 of the rankings. My only outlier is Grambling; who is suffering from their SWAC affiliation. I think they are better than most people realize.

Cool

B&G
October 11th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I'll be happy to share mine...

1. Delaware
2. Appalachian St.
3. Jacksonville St.
4. Stephen F. Austin
5. James Madison
6. Massachusetts
7. William & Mary
8. Montana St.
9. South Carolina St.
10. Villanova
11. Eastern Washington
12. Southeast Missouri St.
13. Cal Poly
14. Wofford
15. Georgia Southern
16. Montana
17. Furman
18. Bethune-Cookman
19. Robert Morris
20. Texas St.
21. Western Illinois
22. North Dakota St.
23. Chattanooga
24. Grambling St.
25. Liberty

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2010, 05:31 PM

I believe the AGS Poll has a track record of being very fair...

When you have ridiculous polls like The Sports Network having teams with one or two wins getting substantial votes, than it is time to get some answers and have the names public.

danefan
October 11th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I believe the AGS Poll has a track record of being very fair...

When you have ridiculous polls like The Sports Network having teams with one or two losses getting substantial votes, than it is time to get some answers and have the names public.

I'd say even forget about the results. I think its its fair to have names and votes public when you are simply the official NCAA media poll.

JohnStOnge
October 11th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Just curious:

If Stephen F. Austin was playing either Villanova or James Madison on a neutral field this weekend, how many of you would pick Stephen F. Austin?

GeauxLions94
October 11th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Just curious:

If Stephen F. Austin was playing either Villanova or James Madison on a neutral field this weekend, how many of you would pick Stephen F. Austin?

http://workingclassautopsy.com/horshack.jpg

Dane96
October 11th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I wouldn't mind that, and do think there should be some sort of peer review - it's frustrating to spend a few hours comparing teams in the 10-25 range and then seeing a poll that makes you scratch your head. It might make sense to publish the ballots, and not the username with them, to put the focus on the votes and not perceived homerism.

There is a peer review...but unfortunately it does not seem to be weeding out horrible votes as in year's past. They used to challenge us all the time...and the AGS poll was consistently the better of the polls. Now, not so much.

Dane96
October 11th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Just curious:

Gun to my head...the offense of SFA is one of the best in the FCS right now; I take SFA in both on a neutral field.

I hate saying that...because the coach is a you know what...but that shouldnt hurt the players in the way I view them.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 11th, 2010, 09:24 PM

Until Robert Morris plays Albany and Central CT, I can't vote them top 25, not after watching UNH-CCSU. Until I see another meaningful win, the Liberty game falls into "AGS" category.

FWIW, I had Chatty and B-C in mine. Frankly, there aren't enough cross over games to tell me that any Ivy League belongs in the top 25. And wins over the Patriot this year sure don't add much to your resume. Lehigh is a title contender and they got throttled at UNH. Furman spanked another title contender Colgate.

I'd take UNH, Richmond and UNI over Robert Morris on a neutral field. That's why I rank those three teams higher. No NEC team could survive an eight game schedule in the CAA, SoCon, MVFC, Big Sky, etc. Albany has already proven that with with their four CAA game OOC a couple of years ago. With that in mind, I can never rank one of them above a mid tier major conference member. xtwocentsx

Dane96
October 11th, 2010, 09:41 PM
That was 20 scholarships ago.

aceinthehole
October 11th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Until Robert Morris plays Albany and Central CT, I can't vote them top 25, not after watching UNH-CCSU. Until I see another meaningful win, the Liberty game falls into "AGS" category.

I'd take UNH, Richmond and UNI over Robert Morris on a neutral field. That's why I rank those three teams higher. No NEC team could survive an eight game schedule in the CAA, SoCon, MVFC, Big Sky, etc. Albany has already proven that with with their four CAA game OOC a couple of years ago. With that in mind, I can never rank one of them above a mid tier major conference member. xtwocentsx

I think its fair for voters to wait to see RMU beat UA this week before including them in the top 25. But then who has Liberty beat to be ranked so high - isn't the Ball State win AGS as well?

However, trying to compare a NEC team (or PL/MEAC/OVC/etc) team to a "CAA schedule" is not realistic. Comparing commmon opponents is one thing, but projecting results on conference scheules is just not fair. xtwocentsx

rcny46
October 11th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Just curious:

I can't speak for anyone else,but I would have to give my vote to Villanova.

UNH Fanboi
October 11th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Gun to my head...the offense of SFA is one of the best in the FCS right now; I take SFA in both on a neutral field.

SFA scored a lot of points during the regular season last year too....and then put up a big fat zero when they finally played a good team. SIU and Weber had several 40+ point games last year...and then got skunked by W&M. The fact is that with a very small sample of OOC games, it's hard to tell how good SFA's offense really is.

JMUNJ08
October 11th, 2010, 10:22 PM

FWIW, I had Chatty and B-C in mine. Frankly, there aren't enough cross over games to tell me that any Ivy League belongs in the top 25. And wins over the Patriot this year sure don't add much to your resume. Lehigh is a title contender and they got throttled at UNH. Furman spanked another title contender Colgate.

JMU was a pretty good team last year as they reeled off 4 W's in a row after that brutal stretch in the middle of the season. I don't recall a 2-5 JMU team being ranked losing 3 straight to Top 10 teams...UNH/UR/UNI have to WIN games to sniff my poll. If Robert Morris/Jacksonville got 10-1 they have the potential to be high up cuz they WIN the games they are given. Will they be a top 5 team at that point? No, but even if a 6-5 UNH can beat them do they deserve to be ranked higher? Nope

WileECoyote06
October 11th, 2010, 11:29 PM
JMU was a pretty good team last year as they reeled off 4 W's in a row after that brutal stretch in the middle of the season. I don't recall a 2-5 JMU team being ranked losing 3 straight to Top 10 teams...UNH/UR/UNI have to WIN games to sniff my poll. If Robert Morris/Jacksonville got 10-1 they have the potential to be high up cuz they WIN the games they are given. Will they be a top 5 team at that point? No, but even if a 6-5 UNH can beat them do they deserve to be ranked higher? Nope
xsmileyclapx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 12th, 2010, 09:59 AM
I think its fair for voters to wait to see RMU beat UA this week before including them in the top 25. But then who has Liberty beat to be ranked so high - isn't the Ball State win AGS as well?

Not that I brought Liberty's ranking into this discussion, but they do also have a close loss at JMU which provides significant input.

However, trying to compare a NEC team (or PL/MEAC/OVC/etc) team to a "CAA schedule" is not realistic. Comparing commmon opponents is one thing, but projecting results on conference scheules is just not fair. xtwocentsx

Why not? Aren't we supposed to be voting on the best 25 teams in FCS? I use common opponents and they aren't available often enough. So, I then go to how teams in a conference do against another team's conference and attempt to extrapolate some ranking from that. And to determine the best 25 teams, I think it is fair to analyze how a team from one conference would do against another conference. For example, how can a 10-1 NEC team be a best 25 team in FCS when their conference's performance against major conferences tells me they'd be darn lucky to get near .500 in any of those conferences. Sorry if that philosophy sucks for the NEC (and some other conferences), but that's how I feel about ranking the best twenty five teams.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 12th, 2010, 10:14 AM

You're allowed to have your opinion and it's different from mine. BTW, I did rank JMU in my top 25 last year when they won down the stretch because I thought even with their mediocre record they were a better team than many with gaudier records. I don't thinking winning the games you're given proves you're a "best 25" team and don't vote that way.

I have no problem with every league that wants an AQ to have one, but the at large bids are for the best remaining teams. And record doesn't dictate who those best teams are. Winning the games you're given doesn't dictate who the best teams are. Strength of schedule and performance does. And the polls IMHO are supposed to rank the best, the strongest 25 teams. Nothing that has been stated to date about this winning the games you've been given has swayed me one iota from my philosophy. In my world if I think a 6-5 GaSoU, UNI, NAU, JMU, etc. team can beat a 10-1 Robert Morris at least six out of ten meetings, then I rank them higher in any poll of best teams. xtwocentsx

aceinthehole
October 12th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Why not? Aren't we supposed to be voting on the best 25 teams in FCS? I use common opponents and they aren't available often enough. So, I then go to how teams in a conference do against another team's conference and attempt to extrapolate some ranking from that. And to determine the best 25 teams, I think it is fair to analyze how a team from one conference would do against another conference. For example, how can a 10-1 NEC team be a best 25 team in FCS when their conference's performance against major conferences tells me they'd be darn lucky to get near .500 in any of those conferences. Sorry if that philosophy sucks for the NEC (and some other conferences), but that's how I feel about ranking the best twenty five teams.

That's fine if it is how you think, but that elimnates almost every conference (not just the NEC) from your rankings. Might as well have a CAA top-10 and call it a week.

I fully agree that the CAA is by far and away the toughest, most difficult conference top-to-bottom in the nation. But let's not pretend other very good, quality teams can't make an appperance in the polls without having to "prove their worth against the CAA standard."

How would you reconcile if Albany beats RMU, then loses to CCSU? Albany would have wins vs Maine, Yale, and RMU, and a close loss to CCSU? Central would have losses to UNH and YSU, but a win vs. Albany and let's say RMU as well. In this case, couldn't it be possible that all the 3 NEC teams are very good and one of them likely deserves a ranking of some kind?

WMTribe90
October 12th, 2010, 12:52 PM
You're allowed to have your opinion and it's different from mine. BTW, I did rank JMU in my top 25 last year when they won down the stretch because I thought even with their mediocre record they were a better team than many with gaudier records. I don't thinking winning the games you're given proves you're a "best 25" team and don't vote that way.

I have no problem with every league that wants an AQ to have one, but the at large bids are for the best remaining teams. And record doesn't dictate who those best teams are. Winning the games you're given doesn't dictate who the best teams are. Strength of schedule and performance does. And the polls IMHO are supposed to rank the best, the strongest 25 teams. Nothing that has been stated to date about this winning the games you've been given has swayed me one iota from my philosophy. In my world if I think a 6-5 GaSoU, UNI, NAU, JMU, etc. team can beat a 10-1 Robert Morris at least six out of ten meetings, then I rank them higher in any poll of best teams. xtwocentsx

I don't disagree completely with your voting philosophy. But, there is a limit IMO to how far you can take it. I may believe that a 4 - 7 CAA squad could beat Jacksonville, but at some point you have to win some games. SOS is vry important and I wouldn't go to far the other direction and just look at the records and disregard SOS. Like most things in life, I think there is a happy medium in the middle. Give credit for SOS, but recognize that there is something to be said for teams that find a way to win more often than not.

JMUNJ08
October 12th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I don't disagree completely with your voting philosophy. But, there is a limit IMO to how far you can take it. I may believe that a 4 - 7 CAA squad could beat Jacksonville, but at some point you have to win some games. SOS is vry important and I wouldn't go to far the other direction and just look at the records and disregard SOS. Like most things in life, I think there is a happy medium in the middle. Give credit for SOS, but recognize that there is something to be said for teams that find a way to win more often than not.

Said it better than I did. A happy medium is needed and will be seen as the season moves on.

A loss by Robert Morris or UNH this week has them scurrying away from the polls. RMU would be 5-2/ UNH 3-4 but a loss right now has the same effect even though RMU has an extra 2 wins.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 12th, 2010, 09:05 PM
That's fine if it is how you think, but that elimnates almost every conference (not just the NEC) from your rankings. Might as well have a CAA top-10 and call it a week.

I fully agree that the CAA is by far and away the toughest, most difficult conference top-to-bottom in the nation. But let's not pretend other very good, quality teams can't make an appperance in the polls without having to "prove their worth against the CAA standard."

How would you reconcile if Albany beats RMU, then loses to CCSU? Albany would have wins vs Maine, Yale, and RMU, and a close loss to CCSU? Central would have losses to UNH and YSU, but a win vs. Albany and let's say RMU as well. In this case, couldn't it be possible that all the 3 NEC teams are very good and one of them likely deserves a ranking of some kind?

Don't lump me into the arrogant CAA is vastly superior to every other conference crowd. I've been very clear to say all major conferences and give examples beyond the CAA. I've never said they have to prove their worth against the CAA, but I am saying they have to prove their worth against the CAA, SoCon, MVFC, Big Sky, etc. I had no problem filling my poll with teams from the CAA, SoCon, MVFC, Big Sky, OVC, Southland, MEAC and Big South. That's eight conferences, hardly the CAA love fest you suggest.

I plead guilty to not following the SWAC closely. Since they don't participate in the playoffs, doing research on them is low on the totem pole. Every game I attend is a road trip and often there is only so much time. If the Ivy wasn't in my backyard, then I'd probably be guilty with them too. But usually pre-season I look at their schedules and see just a handful of the OOC games against AQ conference teams. I know there will be hardly anything for evaluation unless the Patriot League makes an impression with their OOC games.

As for your scenario, I view conference games for what they are. I know games are often closer than expected, that home teams often upset favored road teams, that certain games are rivalry games where the records are thrown out the window, etc.

I've always said that the best way for teams to get the recognition needed to prove they were truly top 25 was to schedule multiple OOC games against higher competition to eliminate the "AGS" factor in one game. The NEC will also have the playoffs this year to "make a statement".

I'm sorry that I didn't get a chance to reply to you last week. Yes, CCSU has improved over the past few years. I witnessed that 70-20 spanking UNH gave Central back in 2003. This year's game was nothing like that game. But at the same time I still saw a wide gulf between our teams this year. And I sure couldn't ignore that game at YSU. Now if RMU spanks CCSU and Albany, I will reconsider my opinion. Right now I can't help but think that every team in the MVFC could beat all the NEC teams. Sorry, that's just how I see things.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 12th, 2010, 09:21 PM

I understand what you're saying and no argument there is a limit. I hope I didn't come across as saying I would vote for a 4-7 major conference team. Even though I probably would believe that they would win that game most often, I don't vote for them in the poll. I think I added JMU last year when they got to 5-5. BTW, my poll was rejected that week for that reason. When they got to 6-5 last year I had no problem putting them 23rd, 24th or 25th (can't recall).

I also think people get way too serious about these early season polls. With each week, things take care of themselves. Since my friend D96 picked on UNH, Richmond and Northern Iowa, I'll say that the next two weeks probably clear things up immensely. And with each week after that things get more precise. And besides, we have playoffs that decide our champion!! xnodx xsmileyclapx

WMTribe90
October 12th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I understand what you're saying and no argument there is a limit. I hope I didn't come across as saying I would vote for a 4-7 major conference team. Even though I probably would believe that they would win that game most often, I don't vote for them in the poll. I think I added JMU last year when they got to 5-5. BTW, my poll was rejected that week for that reason. When they got to 6-5 last year I had no problem putting them 23rd, 24th or 25th (can't recall).

I also think people get way too serious about these early season polls. With each week, things take care of themselves. Since my friend D96 picked on UNH, Richmond and Northern Iowa, I'll say that the next two weeks probably clear things up immensely. And with each week after that things get more precise. And besides, we have playoffs that decide our champion!! xnodx xsmileyclapx

Amen to that

ngineer
October 12th, 2010, 10:51 PM

That's part of the problem with polls. We really don't get to see much. We see scores, look at some stats and try to compare with other outcomes. Anyone can play the 'we beat A who beat B who beat C, but who beat A' game all day. It's why FCS is best in doing it in the playoffs. These polls are meaningless and nothing more than appetizers for us during the season so we have something to talk about.

aceinthehole
October 13th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Don't lump me into the arrogant CAA is vastly superior to every other conference crowd. I've been very clear to say all major conferences and give examples beyond the CAA. I've never said they have to prove their worth against the CAA, but I am saying they have to prove their worth against the CAA, SoCon, MVFC, Big Sky, etc. I had no problem filling my poll with teams from the CAA, SoCon, MVFC, Big Sky, OVC, Southland, MEAC and Big South. That's eight conferences, hardly the CAA love fest you suggest.

Well sorry, I wouldn't call the OVC, MEAC, and Big South "major conferences." There is no way these 3 conferences are signifigantly better than the NEC.

IMO, there are 2 tiers:

- The CAA, SoCon, MVFC, and SLC, Big Sky compromise the top tier.
- The PL, MEAC, Ivy, OVC, Big South, and Ivy are all comparable.

I'm only saying that NEC teams should be regarded and judged in the same light as you would teams from that 2nd tier.

danefan
October 13th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Well sorry, I wouldn't call the OVC, MEAC, and Big South "major conferences." There is no way these 3 conferences are signifigantly better than the NEC.

IMO, there are 2 tiers:

- The CAA, SoCon, MVFC, and SLC, Big Sky compromise the top tier.
- The PL, MEAC, Ivy, OVC, Big South, and Ivy are all comparable.

I'm only saying that NEC teams should be regarded and judged in the same light as you would teams from that 2nd tier.

I'd add in the PFL as well. The top of the PFL can play with anyone in the PL, MEAC, Ivy, OVC and Big South.