PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Ranked #1 Conference in FCS

number1debater
October 11th, 2010, 10:01 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc10.htm

Big Sky 11
CAA 12

Ok CAA fans, breathe, breathe

Queue the "how much b.s. this is" and "the sarigan rankings suck" b****-fest.
Better be careful guys, patriot league is sneaking up on ya!

heath
October 11th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Showing the SEC at #2, you should have thrown the red flag up then. Did anyone read his rating system, wow

LeadBolt
October 11th, 2010, 10:34 AM
It looks to me as if there has been a typo on Jeff's part confusing Conf. USA and the CAA.....

aust42
October 11th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Not sure how the Big Sky is ranked ahead of CAA. That's just crazy talk! :) I find it hilarious that the Sun Belt has 6 1AA Conferences ranked ahead of them. lol lol lol

GtFllsGriz
October 11th, 2010, 11:12 AM
What?????? This has to be a typo. Everyone knows that a CAA 3-2 team is heads and shoulders better then a 5-0 Big Fluffy team. They just all beat up on each other you know.

SpidersSportsEditor
October 11th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Does anyone really think that during the past 3-4 seasons (as long as I've been paying attention to FCS football) the CAA hasn't been the best conference top to bottom?

Just because the CAA is the strongest conference doesn't mean other conferences can't produce great, national-title caliber teams. No one is claiming that. But top to bottom, especially without Hofstra and Northeastern, I just can't imagine anyone providing a convincing argument in favor of another conference as No. 1. If someone has one, I'd love to hear it, but instead of just calling it East Coast bias, let's see a reasoned argument.

heath
October 11th, 2010, 12:16 PM
What?????? This has to be a typo. Everyone knows that a CAA 3-2 team is heads and shoulders better then a 5-0 Big Fluffy team. They just all beat up on each other you know.xbeerchugx I''ll drink to that

BearIt
October 11th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Does anyone really think that during the past 3-4 seasons (as long as I've been paying attention to FCS football) the CAA hasn't been the best conference top to bottom?

Just because the CAA is the strongest conference doesn't mean other conferences can't produce great, national-title caliber teams. No one is claiming that. But top to bottom, especially without Hofstra and Northeastern, I just can't imagine anyone providing a convincing argument in favor of another conference as No. 1. If someone has one, I'd love to hear it, but instead of just calling it East Coast bias, let's see a reasoned argument.

xnodx

Playoff performance doesn't lie. I have to agree, but this year seems to have more parity through out the conferences. One could argue that the CAA has done so well in the playoffs just by the fact that they are getting so many teams in. With 5 teams in every year, odds are they are going to win some games. You can't argue with the number of NC contenders and winners they've had.

At this point I still say CAA is the top, but they don't seem to be as strong this year compared to the past few years. We'll see how it plays out in the post season.

Sycamore51
October 11th, 2010, 12:46 PM
The best part of that whole thing is that the Sun Belt is #18! Why in the world would anybody want to leave a good FCS conference for that?

jmufan999
October 11th, 2010, 12:50 PM
the CAA ends nearly every year as the top conference (in Sagarin, GPI, you name it)... so if you're happy with leading after 1 week, go nuts. griz fans should worry about not getting their butts kicked by montana state later this year.

appfan2008
October 11th, 2010, 12:53 PM
The best part of that whole thing is that the Sun Belt is #18! Why in the world would anybody want to leave a good FCS conference for that?

I sure hope the higher ups at asu understand that!

Sycamore51
October 11th, 2010, 01:00 PM
There are 6 FCS conferences ranked higher that the Suck Belt!

CopperCat
October 11th, 2010, 02:16 PM

Ask Jim O'Day, he can tell you. xlolx

Jackman
October 11th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Where Sagarin's formula sees the CAA/BSC overlap (CAA ratings in bold):

77.58 Delaware (35 overall)
76.02 James Madison (40)
73.10 Montana State (50)
69.72 Massachusetts (72)
69.64 William & Mary (73)
69.60 Eastern Washington (74)
67.56 Northern Arizona (84)
65.36 Villanova (95)
65.19 Portland State (96)
64.62 Montana (101)
64.40 Sacramento State (102)
58.98 New Hampshire (133)
58.01 Maine (140)
57.44 Weber State (146)
53.08 Richmond (167)
51.06 Rhode Island (183)
49.95 Northern Colorado (190)
46.43 Idaho State (206)
45.96 Towson (210)

Biggest thing that jumps out at me is Villanova being rated as essentially the equal of Portland State, with EWU and NAU ahead of them. I'd take the defending champs to win those games.

Silenoz
October 11th, 2010, 02:54 PM
So the CAA has how many wins over the ACC in the last couple years? Probably more than non-Griz Big Sky teams have over all FBS teams in history. Case closed

HensRock
October 11th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Congrats Big Sky!!

I wonder what happened last week to tip the scales?
You figure most everybody is playing conference games now, so every conference win is also a conference loss. So you would think that would mean a net 0 movement as a confernece.
Neither conference had any OOC games last week. Nova, UMass, and Weber State were all idle. Each conference had 4 games so went net 4-4 last week. Hmmm.

NovaHater
October 11th, 2010, 07:56 PM
So the CAA has how many wins over the ACC in the last couple years? Probably more than non-Griz Big Sky teams have over all FBS teams in history. Case closed

Huh ?

What?????? This has to be a typo. Everyone knows that a CAA 3-2 team is heads and shoulders better then a 5-0 Big Fluffy team. They just all beat up on each other you know.

Is this the best Grizz fans can come up with ?
I know it's a down year for you guys on the football field, try to bring a little more to the Forum to bash the CAA than the above

mtjack
October 12th, 2010, 11:56 PM

And the Griz have how many wins over FBS team recently? Wins vs. a down U of Idaho in 2002 and 2003 equate into bragging rights? Gotta step out of the friendly Washington-Grizzly stadium confines to play with the big boys and the UofM doesn't seem willing to do so. The Griz haven't done so since getting rolled by Oregon(2005) and Iowa(2006).

Happy that the Big Sky has been more competitive this year but I just don't see it being a stronger conference than the CAA.

emilimo701
October 13th, 2010, 12:29 AM
If you take a closer look, CAA is on top of the Big Sky in simple average.

chattanoogamocs
October 13th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Congrats Big Sky!!

I wonder what happened last week to tip the scales?
You figure most everybody is playing conference games now, so every conference win is also a conference loss. So you would think that would mean a net 0 movement as a confernece.
Neither conference had any OOC games last week. Nova, UMass, and Weber State were all idle. Each conference had 4 games so went net 4-4 last week. Hmmm.

It is true, once everyone gets to the meat of their conference schedules, conference rankings tend to solidify. But, there is still some movement possible, because...

You have to look at the whole schedule...not just the head to head games of that particular week. Most of the schools have played 2-4 OOC teams at this point and all those teams are still playing too...and each time they win or lose has an effect on the ratings of your team.

It is the same as when people wonder why a basketball team can win a game and drop in the RPI...their overall ranking is "attached" to all the teams they have played....so if the OOC teams all did crappy one weekend, your rating probably goes down...if they all do well, your rating will probably go up.

So in a nutshell...there is a lot more going on each week than conference teams playing each other and "canceling themselves out".

uofmman1122
October 13th, 2010, 02:36 AM
And the Griz have how many wins over FBS team recently? Wins vs. a down U of Idaho in 2002 and 2003 equate into bragging rights? Gotta step out of the friendly Washington-Grizzly stadium confines to play with the big boys and the UofM doesn't seem willing to do so. The Griz haven't done so since getting rolled by Oregon(2005) and Iowa(2006).We play Tennessee next year. There goes your ******* theory. xlolx xrolleyesx

SalukiJim
October 13th, 2010, 05:46 AM

um, so you can make Tuesday night trips to Murfreesboro TN to appear on the 5t or 6th ESPN Alternate??? xlolx

Sycamore51
October 13th, 2010, 07:10 AM
um, so you can make Tuesday night trips to Murfreesboro TN to appear on the 5t or 6th ESPN Alternate??? xlolx

This for real made me laugh! I bet a lot of WKU fans wish they had stayed. We go to Bowling Green next year, and to be honest with you I think we stand a better chance then we ever did when there were tough in the gateway.

mtjack
October 13th, 2010, 03:58 PM
We play Tennessee next year. There goes your ******* theory. xlolx xrolleyesx

Congratulations on stepping out of your comfort zone. I stand corrected. Common fan smack from some Griz fans (not making a blanket statement here...I said "some") is that the rest of the Big Sky Conference blows and rarely end up with good records or playoff bids/runs. What is rarely taken into account is that nearly every Big Sky team other than the U of M plays 1-2 games each year vs. Pac-10, MWC, etc schools.

And no, this is not a case of sour grapes as I would love to see the Griz kick Tenessee's rears. I will root for any FCS team when they play FBS. Just find it odd that the Griz fans continue to talk about being ready to play up to tougher competition when their athletic department/coaching staff seems adverse to doing so.

EdubAlum
October 13th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Montana doesn't play any FBS games because they don't need to, I honestly wish more FCS teams could be so lucky. Coaches will tell you they schedule those games for the challenge, but we all know it's about the money.

caribbeanhen
October 13th, 2010, 05:07 PM
good, maybe some of those playoff games will keep me awake this year.

Silenoz
October 13th, 2010, 05:54 PM
And the Griz have how many wins over FBS team recently? Wins vs. a down U of Idaho in 2002 and 2003 equate into bragging rights? Gotta step out of the friendly Washington-Grizzly stadium confines to play with the big boys and the UofM doesn't seem willing to do so. The Griz haven't done so since getting rolled by Oregon(2005) and Iowa(2006).

Happy that the Big Sky has been more competitive this year but I just don't see it being a stronger conference than the CAA.

Jeez, pretty stupid thing to get defensive about.(non-Montana) Big Sky is 5-84 this decade against FBS.... Griz are 4-3. Yes we played Idaho but that is still an extremely stark difference. Besides the fact that we already know where Montana stacks up against the CAA in a sense. Hence me using FBS games as a point of reference for everyone else

And why do people continously try to talk **** about us not playing FBS? Some programs play 2 BCS teams and get embarrassed and schedule themselves out of the playoffs. Others go to the playoffs and make a **** ton and get an extra home game. Which model is more effective overall?

uofmman1122
October 13th, 2010, 05:57 PM
What is rarely taken into account is that nearly every Big Sky team other than the U of M plays 1-2 games each year vs. Pac-10, MWC, etc schools. You want a medal for this? Congrats. Your school doesn't make any money and needs to play bigger schools in order to keep fielding a football team. The fact that you, and many others, keep harping on Montana for not playing big teams when we don't have to, because we make enough money on home games to have that luxury, is laughable.

Like EdubAlum said, just keep telling yourself that you play those schools because it's the "competitive" thing to do.

mtjack
October 13th, 2010, 10:06 PM
You want a medal for this? Congrats. Your school doesn't make any money and needs to play bigger schools in order to keep fielding a football team. The fact that you, and many others, keep harping on Montana for not playing big teams when we don't have to, because we make enough money on home games to have that luxury, is laughable.

Like EdubAlum said, just keep telling yourself that you play those schools because it's the "competitive" thing to do.

Hooray. You're handing out medals?

I have some understanding of why the rest of the Big Sky Conference has to play up and why the U of M doesn't have to. It is about money in the end.

But that doesn't mean I can't find the irony in Griz fans clamoring to move up because they're ready to go toe-to-toe with the WAC when their team hasn't made any effort to see where they stand since the 2002-2003 and 2005-2006 seasons. Shouldn't fans want this at least on occasion as opposed to playing a Division II school? Two FBS games per season is overboard but no FBS games and a Division II each year doesn't seem better to me.

Whatever. Agree to disagree, I guess.

Silenoz
October 14th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Well we probably are playing an FBS every season or every other season now. Pflugrad made it clear that he wants those games, hence the Tennessee game next year.

Sycamore51
October 14th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Montana doesn't play any FBS games because they don't need to, I honestly wish more FCS teams could be so lucky. Coaches will tell you they schedule those games for the challenge, but we all know it's about the money.
Indiana State's coach came out and said in a television interview this year that we were playing Cinci because we needed the money! At least he has the man parts to say what we all know anyway. We went, they beat us by 33, and we stopped by the bank on the way home.

Col Hogan
October 14th, 2010, 02:02 PM
xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxLMFAO at this thread...

We're better.....No we're better...

Children...we get to find out ON THE FIELD...why does anybody use these bogus indexed ranking rating systems...

I mean...does anybody really believe this...

What I understand and believe is victory on the field...everything else is crap... xbangx

ysubigred
October 14th, 2010, 02:37 PM

Because all they care about is the basketball program (WKU). xsmileyclapx

Go...gate
October 14th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Patriot at #25, down with MEAC and Pioneer. Ouch.

Aho_Old_Guy
October 15th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Jeez, pretty stupid thing to get defensive about.(non-Montana) Big Sky is 5-84 this decade against FBS.... Griz are 4-3. Yes we played Idaho but that is still an extremely stark difference. Besides the fact that we already know where Montana stacks up against the CAA in a sense. Hence me using FBS games as a point of reference for everyone else

And why do people continously try to talk **** about us not playing FBS? Some programs play 2 BCS teams and get embarrassed and schedule themselves out of the playoffs. Others go to the playoffs and make a **** ton and get an extra home game. Which model is more effective overall?

I don't think it is as much FBS (though it is part of it) but more so OoC FCS and non-D1 games.

It is hard to consider the 'superior ranking' of the BS at this point of the season when collectively the conference has played only 5 OoC games against FCS and 7 games against non-D1 teams.

Folks realize FBS are money games.

Western_101
October 15th, 2010, 09:41 PM
How about the Gridiron Power Index?

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?261-Gridiron-Power-Index-Released

Conference Ranking:
Rank, League, Total Average

1. Colonial Athletic Association (23.200)
2. Missouri Valley Football Conference (25.139)
3. Big Sky Conference (27.653)
4. Southern Conference (29.083)
5. Great West Conference (31.575)
6. Southland Conference (40.944)
7. Ohio Valley Conference (43.917)
8. Northeast Conference (53.121)
9. Big South Conference (57.544)
10. Southwestern Athletic Conference (59.025)
11. Ivy League (61.328)
12. Independents (62.813)
13. Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (64.375)
14. Patriot League (66.964)
15. Pioneer Football League (71.838)