PDA

View Full Version : Big MEAC Match-Up this weekend BCU (5-0) vs. SCSU (4-1)

Big Dawg
October 11th, 2010, 12:06 AM
BCU had been predicted to finish 8th in the MEAC this year, but has surprised everybody. SCSU, other hand, has been taken care of business as expected.

Who you got?

Squealofthepig
October 11th, 2010, 01:19 AM
I expect SCSU to win this one, but would add that SCSU is one of those teams that was expected to do well in conference, and has, and voters are rewarding based on expectations - SC State has won all FCS games by 19 or more points (and that 19 was a blanking).

Bethune Cookman is a bit more unknown by most on the board, I think (there are not a lot of Wildcats fans that post on the boards, it seems); they're undefeated, and have several good road wins (including a 37 point win at Morgan State, who seems to be a better team than most would think). A BC win here gives the program huge visibility, but given this game is at the Bulldogs' home field, the game may not register much for many voters. An SC State win is expected, and a BCU upset probably would lead more voters to discount SC State than give BC credit.

Regardless, I'd say both team's records are worth noting, especially given the parity and upsets in major conferences this year. It's a good year to increase the playoff field size, and I don't envy the committee in their selection; past the top ten or so, it really is a crapshoot between teams 11 and 30 or so!

slostang
October 11th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I don't know who I am picking in this one, but it looks like it is going to be a great game.

WestCoastAggie
October 11th, 2010, 10:34 AM
State should win this one but that "Speedway O" will be tough to beat.

mikebigg
October 11th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Will a 1 FCS loss SC State team get a playoff invite? Surely they are so highly regarded that a slip up against Bethune won't matter...or will it?

T-Dog
October 11th, 2010, 11:02 AM
This is my FCS game of the week. xnodx

WileECoyote06
October 11th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Will a 1 FCS loss SC State team get a playoff invite? Surely they are so highly regarded that a slip up against Bethune won't matter...or will it?

I think if either team wins their remaining games, they will both be offered invites; unless SCSU blows out BCC. I think SCSU can survive a loss if it's less than 18 points.

Scenario 1: SCSU defeats BCC in a good game; SCSU and BCC advance to the playoffs at 10 - 1.
Scenario 2: BCC defeats SCSU; BCC advances to playoffs at 11-0 and SCSU advances at 9 - 2.

Big Dawg
October 11th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Bethune-Cookman Wildcats (5-0, 3-0 in MEAC) bring in the nation's leader in scoring offense (49.8 ppg) and total offense (540.6 ypg)and the #2 rushing offense (287.2 ypg), and #20 in passing offense (253.4 ypg)... 'Cats are also #1 in the nation in turnover margin with a +2.4 average takeaways per game.....

Humble Steward
October 11th, 2010, 12:08 PM
This should be a great game. It's going to be tough to beat South Carolina St. on the road. This is definitely one of the best games of the week. Let's Go Wildcats. It's only Monday and I'm ready for some football.

ejjones
October 12th, 2010, 08:36 PM
the nation's leader in scoring offense (49.8 ppg) and total offense (540.6 ypg)and the #2 rushing offense (287.2 ypg), and #20 in passing offense (253.4 ypg)... 'Cats are also #1 in the nation in turnover margin with a +2.4 average takeaways per game..
Yes, you're correct! But, we all do defense wins championships and offense sell tickets. I will inform you that SC State owns the #1 Total Defense, #1 Passing efficiency, #1 Passing Yards allowed, #3 Scoring Defense, #1 First Down Allowed, and #13 Rushing Defense in all of FCS. So, we are doing ok on the defensive side of the ball. I'd say, we will have a nice game on our hands in O'burg in front of ~20K fans.