PDA

View Full Version : Southern Conference Power Rankings - Week 6.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 9th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I was 3-2 this week, Georgia Southern and WCU let me down. This week's power rankings (number in parenthesis represent wins needed to qualify for playoffs as an at-large bid) are as follows:

1) Appalachian State (2) - King of the SoCon mountain lives to see another day
2) Wofford (4) - are the Terriers for real? We'll find out soon enough.
3) Georgia Southern (4) - swagger may be back, but had nothing to be ashamed of
4) Chattanooga (4) - good effort vs. The Citadel
5) Furman (4) - opened up a can of whoop on Howard
6) Elon (out) - did not go down without a fight against ASU
7) Samford (5*) - Shocked the SoCon with a beatdown on WCU
8) Western Carolina (5*) - from winning two of three games to getting stomped by Samford xnonono2x
9) The Citadel (out) - front runner for the SoCon's "thing from the cellar"

* one loss away from elimination as an at-large bid

Week 7 Picks
The Citadel @ Appalachian State
Western Carolina @ Wofford
Georgia Southern @ Chattanooga - game of the week
Furman @ Samford
Elon - off

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 9th, 2010, 08:43 PM
The ankle-biters are for real. That was the best Wofford offense I've ever seen and that includes 2008 and 2003. The OL is very good, Mitch Allen has gotten the hang of the offense and the execution is very crisp, Breitenstein was able to run through our very powerful D-Line all day, and they have good team speed.

The defense is also better than the number of points showed.

Expect Wofford versus App. State to be a shootout of epic proportions.

theasushow
October 9th, 2010, 08:50 PM
lookin forward to GSU and Chatty, a chatty win would put them in good position to make a playoff push, a loss for either team would put them one loss away from playoff jeopardy. the other 3 games SHOULD all be academic.

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2010, 08:51 PM
The ankle-biters are for real. That was the best Wofford offense I've ever seen and that includes 2008 and 2003. The OL is very good, Mitch Allen has gotten the hang of the offense and the execution is very crisp, Breitenstein was able to run through our very powerful D-Line all day, and they have good team speed.

why thanks....I have about 150% more respect for you guys after that game (I had lots of respect beforehand), you guys will contend for the playoffs.

as for the best offense....hmm I don't know, the numbers say '08 was better, and from memory they were better at executing...but team Speed, Depth, and Talent is probably a smidge better at the skill positions...comparing our OL's is really hard because we have a good OL this year....but 2008's was legendary I tell you

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2010, 08:51 PM
App
wofford
GSU
Chatty
Elon
Furman
Samford
Western
El Cid

catamount man
October 9th, 2010, 08:55 PM
WCU ****ing sucks. Nothing else left to say. Guess El Cid sucks worse. I don't see how. Screw you Wagner and SCREW THE WHOLE WCU ADMINISTRATION!!!

chattanoogamocs
October 9th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Georgia Southern @ Chattanooga - game of the week

Biggest Homecoming game for the Mocs in a long, long time.

The long range forecast for Saturday is Sunny and 74.

...and with Vols inhaling vigorously this season, the bandwagon in Chattanooga has gained a lot of new riders.

I think you will see attendance over 15k.

(I would honestly be disappointed with anything under 15K...and I can't believe I am saying that)

Interesting tidbit: The Mocs have only been behind for 20 minutes, 19 seconds (out of 300 minutes played) so far this season.

theasushow
October 9th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Biggest Homecoming game for the Mocs in a long, long time.

The long range forecast for Saturday is Sunny and 74.

...and with Vols inhaling vigorously this season, the bandwagon in Chattanooga has gained a lot of new riders.

I think you will see attendance over 15k.

(I would honestly be disappointed with anything under 15K...and I can't believe I am saying that)

Interesting tidbit: The Mocs have only been behind for 20 minutes, 19 seconds (out of 300 minutes played) so far this season.

not trying to rub it in at all so dont take this the wrong way...but that collapse against ASU may turn out to be HUGE loss as far as playoff implications, the MOCS could very well be 3-0 in the socon right now and in the drivers seat....that being said, they still have a great chance of making the playoffs with a win this week.

theasushow
October 9th, 2010, 09:24 PM
WCU ****ing sucks. Nothing else left to say. Guess El Cid sucks worse. I don't see how. Screw you Wagner and SCREW THE WHOLE WCU ADMINISTRATION!!!

yes!! because the only thing a university administration should care about is fielding a competitive football team!

chattanoogamocs
October 9th, 2010, 09:27 PM
not trying to rub it in at all so dont take this the wrong way...but that collapse against ASU may turn out to be HUGE loss as far as playoff implications, the MOCS could very well be 3-0 in the socon right now and in the drivers seat....that being said, they still have a great chance of making the playoffs with a win this week.

Blowing the JSU lead was even worse than the ASU one (IMO)...the Mocs led for 58:44 and JSU scored on a long bomb (70+ yards) on a coverage mistake by a true freshman. The bummer is, the Mocs still have Auburn, so they really have no more strikes left if they want to make the playoffs.

But, you never know...the optimist in me says the Mocs are only 5 points short of being 5-0...and those two team are now 10-0 (and both ranked top 5).

BlueHenSinfonian
October 9th, 2010, 09:31 PM
yes!! because the only thing a university administration should care about is fielding a competitive football team!

I don't know a whole lot about the particulars of the WCU situation, but if a school is going to field a team, they should do it right. Half-assing doesn't do any favors for the student athletes, the image of the institution, or potential fan attendance/support.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 9th, 2010, 09:33 PM

I have a feeling you could be right and it could be for all the SoCon marbles.

theasushow
October 9th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Blowing the JSU lead was even worse than the ASU one (IMO)...the Mocs led for 58:44 and JSU scored on a long bomb (70+ yards) on a coverage mistake by a true freshman. The bummer is, the Mocs still have Auburn, so they really have no more strikes left if they want to make the playoffs.

But, you never know...the optimist in me says the Mocs are only 5 points short of being 5-0...and those two team are now 10-0 (and both ranked top 5).

they could always just beat Auburn....make things easier......and send kirk herbstriet and lou holtz and lee corso into an absolute frenzy.

phoenixphanatic21
October 9th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I can just say how much it bothers me that Elon is "out" of the playoffs, yet Samford and even Western still have a chance? That is all.

theasushow
October 9th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I don't know a whole lot about the particulars of the WCU situation, but if a school is going to field a team, they should do it right. Half-assing doesn't do any favors for the student athletes, the image of the institution, or potential fan attendance/support.

i'm really not sure why WCU has struggled so bad the past few years, in the early 2000's they were much more competitive. i'm sure ever since ASU started having so much success WCU lost some potential recruits, and the coaching carousel doesnt help things either.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 9th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I can just say how much it bothers me that Elon is "out" of the playoffs, yet Samford and even Western still have a chance? That is all.

Elon has been eliminated for consideration as an at-large candidate. They could make the playoffs, but they need to win out and have plenty of assistance from other teams to win the conference title.

phoenixphanatic21
October 9th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Elon has been eliminated for consideration as an at-large candidate. They could make the playoffs, but they need to win out and have plenty of assistance from other teams to win the conference title.

I mean, I know our chances are slim to none, but it's weird to think that Western still has a better chance when they have been the most inconsistent team in the conference and have not been good at all this year.

walliver
October 9th, 2010, 11:52 PM
i'm really not sure why WCU has struggled so bad the past few years, in the early 2000's they were much more competitive. i'm sure ever since ASU started having so much success WCU lost some potential recruits, and the coaching carousel doesnt help things either.

I think you have to go back to the late 80's, maybe early 90's, to find competative WCU teams. For Wofford's first several years in the league, the only sure wins we could count on were WCU and VMI. For teams to be that bad for so long, with multiple coaches, etc. suggests that there is an institutional (administrative) problem.

Squealofthepig
October 10th, 2010, 01:38 AM
I mean, I know our chances are slim to none, but it's weird to think that Western still has a better chance when they have been the most inconsistent team in the conference and have not been good at all this year.

You've also already played the games, and it's not just paper for you. Western still has to play: @Wofford, vs. App, @Furman, vs. GSU and @Elon. It's hard to argue that any team that can win four of those five games is not at least worthy of playoff consideration. I say this not to rub salt in a wound, but to say: Yeah, they still have a chance, on paper. but, really, with that schedule, I wouldn't be buying playoff tickets if I were a fan...

james_lawfirm
October 10th, 2010, 06:05 AM

What else is there?

gophoenix
October 10th, 2010, 07:11 AM

I know, it sucks.

Our chacnes are none. We lost to a top ten Richmond, a GSU who's top 25 and dismantled us, a Duke who is night and day better in FBS, the number 1 team in the country. Our scheduling has sucked.

Thing is, losing against top teams should keep us out.

Reign of Terrier
October 10th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Richmond isn't a top 10 team....they were at the time, but they aren't that good