SFA 71
October 9th, 2010, 06:23 PM
At 6.15 pm

Sam Houston 13 - Nichols State 7 ~ 3rd Q

Northwestern 0 - UCA 0 ~ 1st Q

SELA 49 - Texas State 24 ~ Final

BobcatSymphony
October 9th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Saw the game on TV. I'll give props to SLU players for playing hard from beginning to end. Texas State tried to bust out with a quick score and a punch-in-the-nose type statement, but got shown the other side of things. I really have to say though that this game was lost more due to coaching than anything. It was obvious to many watching and posting on BCF that no defensive adjustments were being made against SLU's pass-first offense. While we've progressed in overall season records, it's amazing that our staff still manages to put out games like this once or twice a season.

lionsrking2
October 9th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Saw the game on TV. I'll give props to SLU players for playing hard from beginning to end. Texas State tried to bust out with a quick score and a punch-in-the-nose type statement, but got shown the other side of things. I really have to say though that this game was lost more due to coaching than anything. It was obvious to many watching and posting on BCF that no defensive adjustments were being made against SLU's pass-first offense. While we've progressed in overall season records, it's amazing that our staff still manages to put out games like this once or twice a season.

I wouldn't say it was coaching as much as you got dominated at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball...you had a nice scripted drive to open the game and hit a big play against a blitz for another TD, but other than that, we pretty much shut you down the rest of the way and had our way on offense...our defense really only surrendered 14 points - the other 10 came after we fumbled trying to return interceptions...we were just better athletically on both sides of the ball, and more physical.

TexasTerror
October 9th, 2010, 06:52 PM
SHSU 26-7 Nicholls FINAL (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?75675-SHSU-Nicholls-Game-Thread&p=1563076) - Bearkats with school-record 12 sacks of Colonels...

Bearkats have won THREE in a row and get to play a Southeastern Louisiana team coming off a very impressive win...

Wonder how the victory sits with TXST... waiting to go to BobcatFans.com a little longer.

BobcatSymphony
October 9th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I wouldn't say it was coaching as much as you got dominated at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball...you had a nice scripted drive to open the game and hit a big play against a blitz for another TD, but other than that, we pretty much shut you down the rest of the way and had our way on offense...our defense really only surrendered 14 points - the other 10 came after we fumbled trying to return interceptions...we were just better athletically on both sides of the ball, and more physical.

When you win it's easy to say you're team is "more athletic" or "more physical" on both sides. The scoreboard would indicate as such. However, watching this game from home, NOTHING was changed on our side of the ball to counter what SLU was putting up. Your coaches coached up your run D (we were dominating offensively to start the game in that aspect) very quickly, but Write/Bliel NEVER adjusted for your passing game. Not hard to see a score like today's when coaches don't adjust away from a constant 3rd down blitz/zone secondary package all game long.

MR. CHICKEN
October 9th, 2010, 07:38 PM
MC NEESE ST 10.........START OF 2ND Q
S F AUSTIN 0

BobcatSymphony
October 9th, 2010, 07:38 PM
SHSU 26-7 Nicholls FINAL (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?75675-SHSU-Nicholls-Game-Thread&p=1563076) - Bearkats with school-record 12 sacks of Colonels...

Bearkats have won THREE in a row and get to play a Southeastern Louisiana team coming off a very impressive win...

Wonder how the victory sits with TXST... waiting to go to BobcatFans.com a little longer.

TT, we're pretty much done talking about it there. Most of us are upset with what I just commented on, the coaching, or lack thereof, adjustments during the game. Yes, SLU played hard and continued to do so all game long, but our DC seemed either incapable or unwanting to adjust the scheme to suit the SLU passing attack. They got up on us and never looked back. Time to move on to next week and Nichols St.

TexasTerror
October 9th, 2010, 07:43 PM
TT, we're pretty much done talking about it there. Most of us are upset with what I just commented on, the coaching, or lack thereof, adjustments during the game. Yes, SLU played hard and continued to do so all game long, but our DC seemed either incapable or unwanting to adjust the scheme to suit the SLU passing attack. They got up on us and never looked back. Time to move on to next week and Nichols St.

You guys typically go straight to the coaching - particularly since the 2005 'kneel' situation and Wright's subsequent hiring (not related to the "kneel"). Are there a lot of people that just have not been a fan of Wright's coaching? Is it sort of like the Les Miles situation where you have a successful coach as far as record, but still struggling to gain popularity amongst fans due to coaching decisions?

MR. CHICKEN
October 9th, 2010, 07:51 PM
MCNEESE ST. 10
S.F. AUSTIN 7

BobcatSymphony
October 9th, 2010, 07:57 PM
You guys typically go straight to the coaching - particularly since the 2005 'kneel' situation and Wright's subsequent hiring (not related to the "kneel"). Are there a lot of people that just have not been a fan of Wright's coaching? Is it sort of like the Les Miles situation where you have a successful coach as far as record, but still struggling to gain popularity amongst fans due to coaching decisions?

Pretty much, I think this is the situation. I'll admit, because I tend to stay out of arguments for the sake of arguing, that Brad Wright for all intents and purposes has been a bright spot in the last 20-30 years of Bobcat football. After the DII championships, transfer to I-AA/FCS, there wasn't a lot to hang a hat on. Wright has shown he can walk/limp out of the season with a better than .500 record. However, it always seems to be that we either lose a game we shouldn't (see last year's SLU game at home and the blown lead) or we obviously get out-coached on the sidelines.

As far as coaching goes the 2005 "kneel" decision left a sore spot in fan perception about the coaching staff. Following DB's departure to Rice, many in Bobcat land hoped a true national search would finally ocurr to find our next football coach (even DB was a hush-hush behind the scenes hire). When Wright was immediately promoted, it threw off a lot of the loyal fanbase (at least those on Bobcatfans). Many have not been a fan of Wright's from the get go, and several are starting to jump off the Wright Wagon due to games like today's where he seems to be out of his element. He stands by a DC that hasn't really produced an improving defense in his time at Texas State, which stymies and offense loaded with talent and always puts them behind the 8-ball.

I will say that Texas State didn't play hard today. I didn't see any urgency in the team watching them play. Except for the first scoring drive, there were minimal individual efforts being made. WR's weren't getting separation, DL wasn't doing a thing to pressure the QB, and DBs looked like they were first week walk-ons. There was no coaching-up during the game. Heck, Wright joked about the INT/Lateral/Fumble/TD debacle as if his team had a 3 TD lead going into halftime. You listen to Lucas from SLU at the half and he's got a fire under him, talking about how his team should be up by 14 instead of 7. Wright seemed complacent, and I can't imagine how fluffy Bliel was considering his defense stayed home for a second weekend off. A game that should have been every coach's talking/yelling/coaching point during the bye-week was like a stroll through the park. Wright and Co. allowed our boys to get mugged and beat down out there today without trying to push them to fight back.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 9th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Bottom line, the Lions killed us today. I, too, think it was a failure to make coaching adjustments that was the main reason for the lopsided score--you MUST adjust your coverage scheme when you continuously get beat playing zone--HELLO!?--and become less predictable defensively (i.e. blitzing the same guy and only on 3rd Down. Really?

But, SLU just won the battle at the line of scrimmage (especially in the 2nd half). We couldn't get to their QB, we couldn't protect ours (especially a true freshman QB). Not going to win many games with that being the case.

That being said, congrats SLU on the win. xsmileyclapx You guys were my pick to win conference, now just go out 'n do it. Tear apart the Kats next week!

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 9th, 2010, 08:47 PM

LoL bragging about those three wins?!

Gardner-Webb: 2-3. lost to western carolina...

Lamar: first year program who, though beat SLU, lost by almost 70 to a team at the same level and has squeaked by two other teams in lower divisions. The McNeese and SLU games were close/wins only because of the lack of available scouting tape. In truth, this team is horrible.

Nicholls: picked last in our conference. totally new offensive scheme.

I'm sure everyone in conference would win those three games, including SLU if they had played Lamar a little later in the season.

But whatever makes you feel good man. I guess you guys will be hosting a playoff game now in your prognostications next week.xlolxxwhistlex

SFA 71
October 9th, 2010, 08:50 PM
8.45 pm
Northwestern 24 - UCA 13 ~ 4th Q

Lamar 14 - Langton 0 ~ 4th Q

SFA 12 - McNeese 10 ~ Half

Sam Houston 26 - Nichols 7 ~ Final

SELA 49 - Texas State 14 ~ Final

houtexan
October 9th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Lamar 14, Langston 0 Final

JoshUCA
October 9th, 2010, 09:19 PM
As for the final of our game...I'll just say I'm disgusted right now!

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 9th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Congrats NWSt. on your first Div I & conference win in almost 2 years!

SFA 71
October 9th, 2010, 09:45 PM
9.45 pm

Northwestern 24 - UCA 13 ~ Final

Lamar 14 - Langston 0 ~ Final

Sam Houston 26 - Nichols 7 ~ Final

SELA 49 - Tx State 24 ~ Final

SFA 26 - McNeese 20 ~ 4th Q

TexasTerror
October 9th, 2010, 09:46 PM
LoL bragging about those three wins?!

You must not be paying attention to the Southland Conference and keeping your tabs on the WAC...

Does not matter who SHSU is beating, the Kats are finding ways to win with a YOUNG squad. We have the youngest squad in the SLC - more than likely - with a TRUE freshman at QB, a REDSHIRT freshman at RB and a receiving corp that does not feature any key players from a year ago. The cupboard was bare for our new coach and we're off to a 3-2 record and 1-0 in SLC play.

But whatever makes you feel good man. I guess you guys will be hosting a playoff game now in your prognostications next week.xlolxxwhistlex

Nope - we have a long way to go. If SHSU gets off to a solid start with wins over SLU and SFA, perhaps we can start talking about playoffs - but even then, it'd be a stretch.

Our young guys are growing by the game. If we get 5-6 wins, I'll be a happy camper. We have some wins left on this schedule, that's for sure. I'm more excited about the future and the development of our young team...

At the very least, I'm not doing what you guys are in San Marcos - sweating it out over your coaching staff. SHSU's coaching staff is finely tuned!

SFA 93
October 9th, 2010, 10:16 PM
SFA:32
McNeese State:27
Final
Moses 4 TDs

SFA 71
October 9th, 2010, 10:36 PM
SFA:32
McNeese State:27
Final
Moses 4 TDs

You can add me to that group of "Oh ye of little faith." I didn't think we were going to pull it out. I had gone back to watching one of my favorite movies - Treasure of the Sierra Madre - because I thought it was all over for us. Good for our boys!xthumbsupx

katstrapper
October 9th, 2010, 10:43 PM
I dont think we need to be bragging about anything right now as far as the wins are concerned. Tx State Go Cats is right, our three wins are not impressive wins by any means. The true test is still yet to come with SE La, SFA, McNeese, UCA and Tx State still yet to play. But, if you were to tell me we were going to be 3-2 at this point I would have laughed at you. Especially when we had NOTHING returning, a new coaching staff, a program left in disarray by the previous BOZO and no where to turn for support. What Coach Willie Fritz has been able to do at this point is nothing short of amazing.
If I was going to brag right now, I would brag about.....

RB Timothy Flanders, a RS freshman transfer from Kansas State. He has 4 consecutive 100 yd performances, only the third RB in history to do so.

SHSU defense totalling 12 sacks on the night. That is crazy!!

SHSU special teams blocking a punt for a TD tonight. I dont know how many of you remember the 90's when SHSU was a punt/kick blocking machine. Willie Fritz was the one responsible for that back then.

True freshman QB Brian Bell. Not many kids can come straight out of high school and start at any college level. Bell has been very steady under center and has managed the game very well. BTW, Brian Bell is the brother of Sean Bell who was a record setting QB at Baylor.

Anyway, congrats to the Kats!! Yes there is a long way to go, but Fritz has gotten these kids to believe NOW!!..

See SE La next week in Hunstville!!

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 9th, 2010, 10:44 PM
You must not be paying attention to the Southland Conference and keeping your tabs on the WAC...

Does not matter who SHSU is beating, the Kats are finding ways to win with a YOUNG squad. We have the youngest squad in the SLC - more than likely - with a TRUE freshman at QB, a REDSHIRT freshman at RB and a receiving corp that does not feature any key players from a year ago. The cupboard was bare for our new coach and we're off to a 3-2 record and 1-0 in SLC play.

Nope - we have a long way to go. If SHSU gets off to a solid start with wins over SLU and SFA, perhaps we can start talking about playoffs - but even then, it'd be a stretch.

Our young guys are growing by the game. If we get 5-6 wins, I'll be a happy camper. We have some wins left on this schedule, that's for sure. I'm more excited about the future and the development of our young team...

At the very least, I'm not doing what you guys are in San Marcos - sweating it out over your coaching staff. SHSU's coaching staff is finely tuned!

First thing...yeah, it sucks that we lost today. Coaching staff let us down, players didn't compete, blah blah blah...it happens at least once a year around these parts. But we always recover somehow.

Now to you. Keeping my tabs on the WAC? Wow...what a poor attempt at a cheap shot. xlolx I actually followed (and posted updates) on Southland games today so clearly I know what went on in our conference today. I was just pointing out that though you have three wins in a row, you have to actually look at (and analyze) who you guys actually beat. Don't think there was anything incorrect or wrong with what I posted. If so, call me out on it; if not, don't be a little ***** and throw your weak-*** girly "insults." But of course, you can't handle people providing any sort of resistance to you, so that's the game you have to play. Maybe one day you'll get the stick out of your *** and actually be able to function as a normal human being.

Again, congratulations on your victory over Div-I winless Nicholls.

katstrapper
October 9th, 2010, 10:48 PM
First thing...yeah, it sucks that we lost today. Coaching staff let us down, players didn't compete, blah blah blah...it happens at least once a year around these parts. But we always recover somehow.

Now to you. Keeping my tabs on the WAC? Wow...what a poor attempt at a cheap shot. xlolx I actually followed (and posted updates) on Southland games today so clearly I know what went on in our conference today. I was just pointing out that though you have three wins in a row, you have to actually look at (and analyze) who you guys actually beat. Don't think there was anything incorrect or wrong with what I posted. If so, call me out on it; if not, don't be a little ***** and throw your weak-*** girly "insults." But of course, you can't handle people providing any sort of resistance to you, so that's the game you have to play. Maybe one day you'll get the stick out of your *** and actually be able to function as a normal human being.

Again, congratulations on your victory over Div-I winless Nicholls.

Dude, dont let him get under your skin. I understand what you are saying about quality wins. Read my post above. But, I will take what we can get right now. We need all the confidense we can get!!

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 9th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Dude, dont let him get under your skin. I understand what you are saying about quality wins. Read my post above. But, I will take what we can get right now. We need all the confidense we can get!!

Ha it's all good. I understand the need for confidence in a young team. Just can't stand Terror when he's being...Terror. I have nothing against the Kats except him. I think he gets away with waaaay too much on here when it comes to cheap shots and instigating arguments.

Again, congrats on the win. I'm off to continue my drinking!!

TexasTerror
October 9th, 2010, 11:03 PM
I dont think we need to be bragging about anything right now as far as the wins are concerned. Tx State Go Cats is right, our three wins are not impressive wins by any means.

I do not think any SHSU fan is bragging - we're just delighted to see that this team continues to improve by the week and are continuing to grow confidence. Our cupboard was empty and I do not think ANY of us expected these results. We've got some young players at positions and it's going to be exciting following these kids - namely Flanders and Bell and Foster - over the next few years!

The TXST fan just was absolutely clueless about what it is exactly that we have. We are not projecting greatness, but we definitely have something unexpected and exciting - that is a lot better than we had previously...

I was just pointing out that though you have three wins in a row, you have to actually look at (and analyze) who you guys actually beat.

We know who we beat... but we also know what team we have. We're growing by the week. Just like Tyler Ardnt is going to have his ups and downs (like today), we got a whole offense of Tyler Ardnt's. Guys with limited or no Division I experience that will have their moments and they are growing by the game...

Don't think there was anything incorrect or wrong with what I posted. If so, call me out on it; if not, don't be a little ***** and throw your weak-*** girly "insults." But of course, you can't handle people providing any sort of resistance to you, so that's the game you have to play. Maybe one day you'll get the stick out of your *** and actually be able to function as a normal human being.

I will call you out on it... we've got nothing to brag about. We are not a contender and I sure as heck did not put SHSU in my playoff prognostication. We're realist about our program and are excited to have a chance at 5-6 wins, which is 2-3 more than most though prior to the year. Think 5 or 6 wins is our goal for now. If we do more than that - well, that'll catch us off-guard!

AxeEmJacks
October 10th, 2010, 12:19 PM
If SHSU gets off to a solid start with wins over SLU and SFA, perhaps we can start talking about playoffs - but even then, it'd be a stretch.

I'll put it up to exuberance after your statement win against Nicholls, but are you honestly entertaining the idea the Sam will beat SFA?

TexasTerror
October 10th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I'll put it up to exuberance after your statement win against Nicholls, but are you honestly entertaining the idea the Sam will beat SFA?

Nope...

SHSU is too liable to give up the big play still. Very happy with the pass rush, but SFA has the weapons defensively to keep Bell off his feet. SHSU plays solid fundamental football. Only chance we have at SFA is if we can keep them under 23 points.

SHSU will have to a) keep pressure on Moses, b) keep the Lumberjack offense by the field with time-consuming drives featuring our strong running game (we have no choice, but to establish the run) and c) continue to make things happen on special teams in order to force SFA's offense to go as far as possible.

Not convinced we can do that. We're in year one of what may be a three year process of getting this program back to consistent success...

mikebigg
October 11th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Ha it's all good. I understand the need for confidence in a young team. Just can't stand Terror when he's being...Terror. I have nothing against the Kats except him. I think he gets away with waaaay too much on here when it comes to cheap shots and instigating arguments.

Again, congrats on the win. I'm off to continue my drinking!!

the next beer I buy will be in your honor.