PDA

View Full Version : Editorial: Lamar fans need higher expectations

TexasTerror
October 8th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I'm not sure the bunch from SETX really appreciated this editorial much...

Those Cards fans I see are really upset with the team's results, particularly getting blown out in the manner they did by SFA and SHSU. The early results painted a pretty picture of Lamar with the near loss to McNeese and the victory over Southeastern, but since then - things have not gone too well.

We'll see what Cardinal fans think after this year and definitely after next of Woodard's job performance...

The pockets of empty seats said everything needed about the Lamar University football team's game Saturday. By the time the final seconds ticked off the home team's 28-point loss, head coach Ray Woodard had heard enough.

"I think there's way too many people coming up to me and telling me everything is going to be alright and offering up a lot of excuses for myself and our team, and I'm not buying into any of that," a clearly-frustrated Woodard said after the game.

Woodard does not want to be reminded that he has a young team. Or that Lamar is playing its first season of football since 1989. Or that the schedule is not filled with cream puffs and cupcakes.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/dabe__lamar_fans_need_higher_expectations.html

houtexan
October 8th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I'm not sure the bunch from SETX really appreciated this editorial much...

Those Cards fans I see are really upset with the team's results, particularly getting blown out in the manner they did by SFA and SHSU. The early results painted a pretty picture of Lamar with the near loss to McNeese and the victory over Southeastern, but since then - things have not gone too well.

We'll see what Cardinal fans think after this year and definitely after next of Woodard's job performance...

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/dabe__lamar_fans_need_higher_expectations.html

Squeaky wheel.... 95% of fans at Lamar including myself are more than happy with what has occurred so far this season. The other 5% are unrealistic complainers. Have their been surprises? - Absolutely - including the near miss with McNeese, the win at SELa, and the blowout at SFA. Most folks expected to be 1-4 at this point, we're 2-3. With realistic chances to win vs. Langston, Georgia State, South Alabama, and Oklahoma Panhandle State. South Dakota and North Dakota we do not expect to win. It is very possible that Lamar finishes out the season 6-5. I'd be ecstatic. On the other hand, if I were a SHSU fan I'd be more concerned about my non-first year program getting blown out by WIU 56-14 and your only two wins against GW and first-year Lamar...you think WIU was a bad loss, wait until SFA "donkey-stomps" SHSU at Reliant... That article from the Enterprise is reflective of a 'high-school' level editorial.

TexasTerror
October 8th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Squeaky wheel.... 95% of fans at Lamar including myself are more than happy with what has occurred so far this season. The other 5% are unrealistic complainers. Have their been surprises? - Absolutely - including the near miss with McNeese, the win at SELa, and the blowout at SFA. Most folks expected to be 1-4 at this point, we're 2-3. With realistic chances to win vs. Langston, Georgia State, South Alabama, and Oklahoma Panhandle State. South Dakota and North Dakota we do not expect to win. It is very possible that Lamar finishes out the season 6-5. I'd be ecstatic.

Is that the same 95 percent that bailed out on the Cards with plenty of time remaining against Sam?

Lamar is on pace for 5-6 wins, which is great for the first-year program. Some of the start-ups have their share of issues against sub-Div I competition as far as losses. The Red Birds nearly fell to NAIA Webber Intl', but we'll see if they have hiccups. Seems the Cards did some decent scheduling...

On the other hand, if I were a SHSU fan I'd be more concerned about my non-first year program getting blown out by WIU 56-14 and your only two wins against GW and first-year Lamar...you think WIU was a bad loss, wait until SFA "donkey-stomps" SHSU at Reliant... That article from the Enterprise is reflective of a 'high-school' level editorial.

SHSU has won two in a row and is looking for their third straight. We have a new coach that had what amounts to an empty cupboard. Our squad at the skill positions is younger than Lamar, yet beat on the Cards, if I do recall... ;)