PDA

View Full Version : Fighting with a Griz Fan and need a question answered...

Walkon79
October 8th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Hey Ga. Southern Fans!

Did you or did you not make the move to 1A a few years back and then come back to 1AA, or FCS as we know it now?

danefan
October 8th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Hey Ga. Southern Fans!

Did you or did you not make the move to 1A a few years back and then come back to 1AA, or FCS as we know it now?

I'm not a GSU fan (well I guess I kind of am after Albany), but I can say with certainty that GSU has never been a IA school in the modern era (e.g. 1984 on).

MaximumBobcat
October 8th, 2010, 01:11 PM
GSU affilations:

1924-1983 Independent

1984-1991 Division I-AA Independent

1992-20XX Southern Conference

TexasTerror
October 8th, 2010, 01:14 PM
The ONLY school that has moved up to FBS in the last 15-20 years and come right back down is Florida A&M. They left the MEAC, began the transition for a year and then reverted back to the MEAC.

The ONLY school that has moved from Division II to FCS in the last 5-10 years that has come right back is Winston Salem State. They moved up and were destined for the MEAC. Now they are back in Division II.

Worth noting - there were a few schools in the late 1970s/early 1980s that stayed I-A/FBS and then later moved down. Some had the choice (i.e. McNeese State) and other were forced since they did not meet the new rules that brought about the split.

Walkon79
October 8th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks guys, I stand corrected. It's really going to be difficult to admit I was worng to a Jizz :(

Appfan_in_CAAland
October 8th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Worth noting - there were a few schools in the late 1970s/early 1980s that stayed I-A/FBS and then later moved down. Some had the choice (i.e. McNeese State).....

xnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2x App will hopefully be fixing that mistake soon.

The best part about this story was how the Big Ten helped the MAC stay I-A so they could have bowl-eligible punching bags.

I'd actually be interested to see one of these "ESPN 30 for 30" style documentaries on this period (if someone cared to make one), with the lawsuits by the MAC, Ivy, William & Mary and others; and all of football programs that died during the transition period.

Uncle Rico's Clan
October 8th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks guys, I stand corrected. It's really going to be difficult to admit I was worng to a Jizz :(

Admitting you have a problem is the first step towards recovery.xlolx

JALMOND
October 8th, 2010, 09:07 PM

Admitting you are wrong when you are wrong gives credibility later on to say you are right when you are right (or something like that).

SouthernMan
October 8th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Nope. Never moved up. There are MANY TEAMS who would have liked to have seen us make that jump between 1997 and 2004. MANY TEAMS (you listening App, Furman, Montana, Youngstown). j/k

And we probably should have but our AD who is still employed is inept. With our overall growth as a school during this time it would have at least been nice to have had a PLAN. But these geniuses could not even figure out APR, much less how to make a jump to FBS.

Hopefully the AD retires and we get an energetic person in who energizes the fanbase, more so than just winning. The only silver lining is we are almost glad he is not the one who had to LEAD once we decided to make the jump. His only defense is that he keeps the books in the black. I, however, would rather shoot at the sky and hit a stump than shoot at a stump and hit nothing.

What App has done in very little time is amazing, the proof of what winning AND having leadership can do, whether you want to go FBS or not. I was green with envy last year walking around their campus and seeing their across the board improvements.