PDA

View Full Version : It's the end of an era in IAA football...

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 3rd, 2006, 08:51 PM
Not only is Georgia Southern getting a new coach and ditching it's feared and infamous offense, but the old fieldhouse is being torn down and replaced with a huge 13,600 square foot building that will put an end to the grass seating in the south end zone. If we weren't keeping the traditional uniforms, the program would almost be warped beyond recognition.

http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com/tools/getstory.aspx?storyid=854

By the way, can we count on you guys to not rub it in if we go 6-5 next season?

Tod
February 3rd, 2006, 09:05 PM
By the way, can we count on you guys to not rub it in if we go 6-5 next season?

Yes, but if you go 5-6, all bets are off. :D :D :D ;)

TXST_CAT
February 3rd, 2006, 10:41 PM
That's Awesome. When GSU came down to TXST I recall hearing they were impressed with the Bobcat EndZone complex. I guess now GSU can look to establish new traditions and re-establish its legacy. I hope new traditions will include playing TXST in the Playoffs every year. That was one hell of a game. :beerchug:

Kill'em
February 3rd, 2006, 11:59 PM
We want a rematch, however next time at "OUR HOUSE!"

Tod
February 4th, 2006, 02:37 AM
That's Awesome. When GSU came down to TXST I recall hearing they were impressed with the Bobcat EndZone complex. I guess now GSU can look to establish new traditions and re-establish its legacy. I hope new traditions will include playing TXST in the Playoffs every year. That was one hell of a game. :beerchug:

I don't mind seeing GSU competative, but man, I don't think I want to see them re-establish their legacy. Their legacy is to win championships! Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

:eek:

ChickenMan
February 4th, 2006, 09:28 AM
I don't mind seeing GSU competative, but man, I don't think I want to see them re-establish their legacy. Their legacy is to win championships! Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

The days of one program... GSU or anyone else... dominating in I-AA are over. In the past four seasons we have seen four different first time I-AA champs. Sure the perennially strong programs will likely remain strong... but the days of domination by any one school appear to be long gone.

AmsterBison
February 4th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Hehehe, don't think of it as the end of an era but the beginning of a new, shinier one. I've already got a name picked out: The Neobisonic Era.

X-Factor
February 4th, 2006, 10:00 AM
The days of one program... GSU or anyone else... dominating in I-AA are over. In the past four seasons we have seen four different first time I-AA champs. Sure the perennially strong programs will likely remain strong... but the days of domination by any one school appear to be long gone.

That is what everyone thought happened in IA untill USC came along.

The NFL and the Patriots.....

It can still EASILY happen in I-AA, and it will.

ChickenMan
February 4th, 2006, 10:22 AM
That is what everyone thought happened in IA untill USC came along.

The NFL and the Patriots.....

It can still EASILY happen in I-AA, and it will.

Of course schools may win multiple titles... but I seriously doubt that anyone will dominate I-AA in the future the way YSU... GSU and Marshall did in the past.

Kill'em
February 4th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I honestly feel that there is so much parity in I-AA that only one of this year's final four will make it that far next year, if that.

GtFllsGriz
February 4th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Hang it there GSU. Most, including me, hate change. It is always uncomfortable. I also hate to see GSU move on from the triple option. To me, that was GSU football and it struck fear into the souls of their opponents. I miss the days when the Griz were known for their all-out passing attack. That was their identity just as the triple option was GSU's identity. But things change and we deal with it. I have no doubt that GSU will remain a serious national threat on the I-AA football scene.

Good luck and no that all true I-AA football fans feal your pain.

Kill'em
February 4th, 2006, 02:54 PM
I wonder if I-AA fans, especially those in the Southern Conference, aren't breathing a sigh of relief.

I think most of us were in favor of tweaking the offense to include more of a short passing game like Montana did but there are lots of us that cringe at the idea of using the shotgun, I-formation, and tight ends. The fear is that we are abandoning our identity and are follwing the trend and using a "cookie cutter" offense. This could make it easier to prepare a defense against us.

Who knows? Maybe we'll be unstoppable. I'm for giving Coach vanGorder a chance.

GoGatos
February 4th, 2006, 05:50 PM
GSU is always going to demand their opponents' respect. They've got athletes, pure and simple. However, I don't know if all of your athletes are suited for a cookie-cutter offense. Your skill positions will still be dangerous in ANY offense, but your O-line I think will be the biggest concern right off the bat. They are great at quick, speed-oriented run blocking schemes. I don't know how they'll do in pass protection because you had to give up size for quickness to run that triple option.

Kill'em
February 5th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Some of these issues were addressed with this year's signing class. Coach vanGorder signed some very tall linemen he feels will be good pass blockers and a couple of passing quarterbacks. One of these, Zack Stanford, holds the state career passing record of over 9,000 yards. He is a big kid and a pure passer.