PDA

View Full Version : TXST, UTSA Attempt Options Other than WAC?

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Per arkstfan on the SunBeltBBS (http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=455341&pid=5782771#pid5782771), who seems to have a good feel for things...

UTSA and Texas State are lobbying the Sun Belt hard hoping that the Sun Belt will make room for them but both seem prepared to go to the WAC because its their only path to FBS.

The Sun Belt is a much cheaper option - see travel. It would also put the schools with North Texas, who they seemingly would prefer over La Tech - while also not being that bad a trip from ULM, Louisiana-Lafayette and Arkansas State.

Got to figure that both schools will still go to the WAC, if that's their only option. They have too much at stake in their FBS attempt and falling flat on both accounts would set them back tremendously.

Tough times for the two in their effort to look 'east' instead of 'west'. The Sun Belt has no need to add members and certainly would prefer not to add FCS members, seeing as they've long been considered the FCS 'doormat' to FBS. Not too long though considering the league has only sponsored football for ten years.

The SBC could just as easily add Louisiana Tech (think the bad blood is over, in light of finances) and say a New Mexico State (who if they knew the WAC was on its death bed and La Tech was leaving would definitely jump) before the league extended offers to the FCS schools. That would really put the nail in the coffin on the WAC while diverting more BCS funds to the Sun Belt, who could also play a league title game.

Cat79
October 7th, 2010, 12:02 AM
This is not true. The Sunbelt has not shown any interest in adding Texas State or UTSA. The WAC is the real deal. xhurrayx

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2010, 07:17 AM
This is not true. The Sunbelt has not shown any interest in adding Texas State or UTSA. The WAC is the real deal. xhurrayx

Never said that the Sun Belt has shown interest. Only stated that TXST and UTSA have reached out to the league in an effort to go 'east' instead of 'west'. I'm sure they have reached out at some point, but they do not want to be the 'doormat' to the FBS upstarts. The WAC doesn't either, but they have no choice...

Saw that Tyler Mayforth is not going to Hammond, La. I'm guessing if TXST joins the WAC, that the San Marcos Daily Record will be traveling even less than it does not in light of budget shortfalls. Media coverage in general of TXST for road events will drop outside of the game at UTSA. Win some, lose some.

JSU02
October 7th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I think the SunBelt is most interested in consolidating its footprint and getting into the Birmingham and Atlanta TV markets. I think that means Jax State and Georgia State.

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I think the SunBelt is most interested in consolidating its footprint and getting into the Birmingham and Atlanta TV markets. I think that means Jax State and Georgia State.

Does the Sun Belt really need to add anyone at this point? I do not think they are in any position at this point to do so. If Denver leaves, the league will have to decide whether it wants 12 football schools or a 10/12.

If they want a 10/12 - may be worth their while to add Oral Roberts, who I am sure wouldn't mind coming in for upgrades in basketball and baseball conferences. It is 270 miles between North Texas and ORU for sports where travel partners are involved. If I am not mistaken, the biggest gap now between travel partners is ULL/ULM at 180ish with USA/Troy and UALR/ASU at more than 100, 125, but not much more.

If they want to get to 12 football members and boot UALR - then things would become interesting. Whether they get an established FBS like La Tech or New Mexico State into the fold or FCS upstarts. I really do think the league is trending away from FCS upstarts as they get older and become a more stable league than even the WAC.

JSU02
October 7th, 2010, 08:39 AM
The Sunbelt wants all its members to play football. UALR has been looking for another conference home for a while. As for LA Tech, who knows. I know there has been a great deal of animosity between LATech and the Sunbelt office for many years. The conference may enjoy the upper hand they have on LA Tech now and not show any interest. LA Tech is definitely in the SunBelt footprint, but will it accept ULM as a conference peer? It wouldn't have to if ULM had to drop down due to budgetary issues. NMSU's distance would negate anything it brings to the table. I think the SunBelt expects to lose UNT to CUSA and would prefer to look east rather than west.

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2010, 10:18 AM
The Sunbelt wants all its members to play football. UALR has been looking for another conference home for a while.

There fans are absolutely clueless to this though! When it gets brought up that they'd be booted out of the SBC, they completely turn the other way.

As for LA Tech, who knows. I know there has been a great deal of animosity between LATech and the Sunbelt office for many years. The conference may enjoy the upper hand they have on LA Tech now and not show any interest. LA Tech is definitely in the SunBelt footprint, but will it accept ULM as a conference peer? It wouldn't have to if ULM had to drop down due to budgetary issues. NMSU's distance would negate anything it brings to the table. I think the SunBelt expects to lose UNT to CUSA and would prefer to look east rather than west.

La Tech does not want to go back to the Sun Belt, but may have no other choice. One could argue that it serves the Sun Belt well to help thwart any efforts by the WAC to 'start anew' and get back on top of the SBC in the Sagarin, BCS pecking order, etc.

MaximumBobcat
October 7th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Any proof of this?

waiting

didn't think so.

Sigh TT...starting a new thread on a national football board because some message board poster on a Sunbelt board said something.

Good lawd...

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Any proof of this?

Perhaps not recently, but we know that TXST and UTSA have reached out to several conferences in the past. There have been articles to support that and there's no reason that the Sun Belt is not on the list. In fact, it alongside the WAC were probably the first two called based on geography and need.

Whether they have done that recently or not is beyond me, but arkstfan is a pretty good source of information in my books.

MaximumBobcat
October 7th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Perhaps not recently

That's all I wanted to know.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 7th, 2010, 10:57 AM
That's all I wanted to know.

xlolx

dirty bird
October 7th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Perhaps not recently, but we know that TXST and UTSA have reached out to several conferences in the past. There have been articles to support that and there's no reason that the Sun Belt is not on the list. In fact, it alongside the WAC were probably the first two called based on geography and need.

Whether they have done that recently or not is beyond me, but arkstfan is a pretty good source of information in my books.

But seriously..this is such old news on the part of UTSA. I bet Arkstfan is pretty adept and aware of the goings-on of FBS [not being sarcastic], however, it doesn't take a 007 to either factually know or have a hunch, that UTSA was reaching out to the Sunbelt. I mean, just by simply using deductive reasoning, I figured long ago, that the SEC, Big XII or PAC 10 were not within in our sights....

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2010, 01:49 PM
But seriously..this is such old news on the part of UTSA. I bet Arkstfan is pretty adept and aware of the goings-on of FBS [not being sarcastic], however, it doesn't take a 007 to either factually know or have a hunch, that UTSA was reaching out to the Sunbelt. I mean, just by simply using deductive reasoning, I figured long ago, that the SEC, Big XII or PAC 10 were not within in our sights....

I guess the true question is why did he bring this up all of a sudden (again)?

Is it because they did so recently? If they did - it is a bigger newsworthy story. If not, who cares? I guess it depends on how you read it. Will try to get an answer...