PDA

View Full Version : TXST: WAC Visit Scheduled for Oct. 23

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Per a post on BobcatFans.com (http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20091&sid=)...

I have recieved confirmation that WAC officials have tentatively scheduled their visit to San Marcos around our Homecoming game on Oct 23rd. This is not written in stone yet but it looks like the date that is most likely. We MUST fill the stadium. A poor showing will not look good to the other presidents and the committee. Everyone needs to bring as many people as possible to this game. Confirmation is here in this article as well as backed up from credible sources here at the Houston Bobcat Club Luncheon. Eat em up Cats!!!!

The article mentioned - http://star.txstate.edu/content/wac-officials-review-texas-state-presentation

They have also created a Facebook event (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=152269498141797) to promote the fact that the WAC is coming.

Redbird Ray
October 6th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Who is the opponent?

I have always liked Texas State and always thought they were very similar to Illinois State in several areas.

Anyway, good luck to Texas State! Bribe the fire marhsall and see if you can get over 20K in that place. That would be a better crowd than most WAC schools can get anyway.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 6th, 2010, 08:55 AM
I think this is funny only in the fact that Texas State somehow thinks their WAC bid is in doubt if they don't fill the stadium. They could have only five popcorn vendors there, and they'd still get in. The WAC is that desperate. xlolx

slycat
October 6th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Who is the opponent?

I have always liked Texas State and always thought they were very similar to Illinois State in several areas.

Anyway, good luck to Texas State! Bribe the fire marhsall and see if you can get over 20K in that place. That would be a better crowd than most WAC schools can get anyway.

Northwestern State

slycat
October 6th, 2010, 09:11 AM
I think this is funny only in the fact that Texas State somehow thinks their WAC bid is in doubt if they don't fill the stadium. They could have only five popcorn vendors there, and they'd still get in. The WAC is that desperate. xlolx

I agree but its always nice to make a great presentation.

SM_Bobcat
October 6th, 2010, 09:18 AM

More than likely you are exactly right.... But, as bad as Texas State wants to get into an FBS conference. Noone wants to take any chances.

All Texas State fans I know of, know deep down that Texas State is going to get an invite if the WAC stays intact. But noone wants to take any chances.

GeauxLions94
October 6th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I have recieved confirmation that WAC officials have tentatively scheduled their visit to San Marcos around our Homecoming game on Oct 23rd. This is not written in stone yet but it looks like the date that is most likely. We MUST fill the stadium. A poor showing will not look good to the other presidents and the committee.

If you have to beg to get folks to fill the stadium just to impress the WAC folks, then you don't deserve to move up in the first place ... just my two cents

TXST TLG8
October 6th, 2010, 12:17 PM
If you have to beg to get folks to fill the stadium just to impress the WAC folks, then you don't deserve to move up in the first place ... just my two cents

If you have to make a sly comment about a school doing their best to promote a football game and FBS conference opportunity while only filling up your own stadium half way on a good day then you don't deserve to be in the FCS in the first place... just my two cents

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2010, 12:44 PM
TXST better have one helluva recruiting class this coming February whether a decision has come out or not...

I'm sure Northwestern State will still be No. 1 amongst SLC schools per Rivals, but I was informed last night that TXST coaches are actively telling potential student-athletes that they will be in the WAC before their time is up at the school (if HS kids).

El Gato
October 6th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Wow. Good, but you are correct, things better not fall apart or we will lose credibility with recruits.

Silenoz
October 6th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Wow. Good, but you are correct, things better not fall apart or we will lose credibility with recruits.

The only way TxSt is not in is if the WAC goes with some sort of PSU/Sac/Davis combo, and there is no way in hell that is happening

MaximumBobcat
October 6th, 2010, 01:25 PM
If WAC brass visit the 23rd, I'd bet an offer will be made that night or on the 24th.

When the offer hits the press or is released I'm not sure, but I've just got a good feeling that TXST will have a FBS invitation in hand by the end of this month . UTSA too.

MaximumBobcat
October 6th, 2010, 01:43 PM

I agree!

How DARE schools or fans try to say things to get people excited about going to the game.

How DARE they!!!

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xlolx

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2010, 02:13 PM

That is why it is critical right now for TXST, UTSA to get into the WAC.

Both schools have way too much on the line. If neither gets into FBS in the next 2-3 years - they may never get there. There's too much on the line from all sorts of standpoints.

BearsCountry
October 6th, 2010, 02:32 PM

Other than being our name change buddies, they are very similar to us as well. Which makes sense bc you guys and us are also very much alike.

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2010, 03:25 PM
No visit yet?

Just got off the phone with WAC senior commissioner Jeff Hurd. Despite rumors, the WAC has not yet scheduled a visit to the #txst campus.

http://twitter.com/LisaKCarter/status/26574576012

lionsrking2
October 6th, 2010, 04:17 PM
If you have to make a sly comment about a school doing their best to promote a football game and FBS conference opportunity while only filling up your own stadium half way on a good day then you don't deserve to be in the FCS in the first place... just my two cents

Cute comeback, but GL94 is right...you've got 30K+ students, and what many would consider a vibrant, college-town environment, and you can't come close to filling your stadium on a weekly basis...true, we can't fill ours either, but we're not trying to play at a level that's well above our heads, so it's apples and oranges...hopefully, the FBS/WAC label will be enough to flip the switch for many of your casual fans and the donor money comes pouring in, but unless you make a big splash record-wise, I'm afraid you're going to end up like UL-Monroe, ULL, Arkansas State, Idaho, Eastern Michigan, Akron etc...the list is endless.

And when the WAC falls apart, which is very likely to happen, what will be next for the Bobcats? I wish you guys luck...I really do.

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Cute comeback, but GL94 is right...you've got 30K+ students, and what many would consider a vibrant, college-town environment, and you can't come close to filling your stadium on a weekly basis...

Lest we forget that TXST fans will show up in droves to see Idaho and Utah State with more vigor than Sam Houston State and Stephen F. Austin games... :)

msusig
October 6th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Per a post on BobcatFans.com (http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20091&sid=)...

The article mentioned - http://star.txstate.edu/content/wac-officials-review-texas-state-presentation

They have also created a Facebook event (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=152269498141797) to promote the fact that the WAC is coming.

The only way they will fill that stadium is to give away free beer.

GeauxLions94
October 6th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I agree!

How DARE schools or fans try to say things to get people excited about going to the game.

How DARE they!!!

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xlolx

Nice comeback Max, but RL is right on all counts ... you have 32,000 students and a good alumni base in Austin/San Antonio and you have to beg to fill the stadium??? ... Seriously, good luck with on the 23rd.

Cute comeback, but GL94 is right...you've got 30K+ students, and what many would consider a vibrant, college-town environment, and you can't come close to filling your stadium on a weekly basis...true, we can't fill ours either, but we're not trying to play at a level that's well above our heads, so it's apples and oranges...hopefully, the FBS/WAC label will be enough to flip the switch for many of your casual fans and the donor money comes pouring in, but unless you make a big splash record-wise, I'm afraid you're going to end up like UL-Monroe, ULL, Arkansas State, Idaho, Eastern Michigan, Akron etc...the list is endless.

And when the WAC falls apart, which is very likely to happen, what will be next for the Bobcats? I wish you guys luck...I really do.

Good question about the future of the WAC. If and when it does fall apart, many of the schools in the league will become the "Island of Misfit Toys"

txst80
October 6th, 2010, 09:50 PM

Well if our stadium held 7,408 like Strawberry did we could sell out every game...

GeauxLions94
October 6th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Well if our stadium held 7,408 like Strawberry did we could sell out every game...

Could? You mean, you can't guarantee it xrotatehx And why throw our stadium into the equation, we're not the ones who are having "The Drive" and we're not the ones who are begging folks to fill the stadium when the WAC brass show up. xwhistlex

Again, SERIOUSLY (and my last post on this subject), good luck with the WAC discussions and hope you get the invite ... just remember to thank your rivals down the road (who haven't played a game yet) if it happens xcoffeex (<---in honor of MaineJeff)

darussian12
October 6th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Could? You mean, you can't guarantee it xrotatehx And why throw our stadium into the equation, we're not the ones who are having "The Drive" and we're not the ones who are begging folks to fill the stadium when the WAC brass show up. xwhistlex

Again, SERIOUSLY (and my last post on this subject), good luck with the WAC discussions and hope you get the invite ... just remember to thank your rivals down the road (who haven't played a game yet) if it happens xcoffeex (<---in honor of MaineJeff)

no dif then getting people to a homecoming game...but its all irrelevant..were doing well then...crowd will be there..we suck it up before hand even if the big 12 was there not lots of people will want to see a team that cant win...even me which i consider a "more informed fan" than usual fcs fan...if i had option of going to a .500 bobcat game or sleeping in or lunch date with girlie or run imp errands or work...im not gonna take off work or wake up early or skip lunch date for mediocre football gameto tailgate and get drunk and be bored at game

Cat79
October 7th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Let's see where this goes with the WAC coming to Texas State.
The schedule might be different but the WAC will have a scheduled date in the near future. Sorry there TT but the WAC is coming to Texas State. I know you are sad that the WAC representatives will soon be on the Texas State campus.

darussian12
October 7th, 2010, 02:30 AM
im pretty sure TT knows tx state is moving on...and i highly doubt he's sad or really gives a ****....if theres a neg article he will keep posting still....if theres some positive article about fcs he might post it...if you really give a **** your problem....hes had his panties in a wad for a long time..look on the bright side...he says he likes all things FCS....so we might be rid of him but i havve a feeling when we suck the first of many years after moving up he will still be there reminding us all

purplejacks
October 7th, 2010, 06:49 AM
I personally think that its great that the WAC is going to visit TSU. The atmosphere at your games is one that cannot be duplicated at any other school where I have been. In fact, be sure to have that freight train go by the stadium 6 or 7 times during the game, that will really make the WAC folks understand what 'Big Time' is.

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2010, 07:14 AM
The schedule might be different but the WAC will have a scheduled date in the near future. Sorry there TT but the WAC is coming to Texas State. I know you are sad that the WAC representatives will soon be on the Texas State campus.

We know the WAC is coming to San Marcos. They are in desperation mode to get members, just like TXST and UTSA are desperate for FBS. This is their only option. Not the best option for either sides, but the only option for either (since the California schools are not ready for the WAC and the two Texas schools are not desired by the Sun Belt or C-USA).

Why do we need to go in circles on this subject?

im pretty sure TT knows tx state is moving on...and i highly doubt he's sad or really gives a ****....if theres a neg article he will keep posting still....if theres some positive article about fcs he might post it...if you really give a **** your problem....hes had his panties in a wad for a long time..look on the bright side...he says he likes all things FCS....so we might be rid of him but i havve a feeling when we suck the first of many years after moving up he will still be there reminding us all

I'm looking forward to seeing how TXST does in the WAC, because the changes in the SLC may force our hand into eventually joining the Bobcats. If you guys don't do so hot and the WAC does not hold its own, we'll do what we can to stay at the FCS level - regardless of the major changes at this level.

I personally think that its great that the WAC is going to visit TSU. The atmosphere at your games is one that cannot be duplicated at any other school where I have been. In fact, be sure to have that freight train go by the stadium 6 or 7 times during the game, that will really make the WAC folks understand what 'Big Time' is.

Wait until the WAC visits Beaumont down the road...

According to SHSU's play by play guy, you almost forget that you are in Beaumont when you are Provost Umphrey Stadium... until you see the beautiful refineries in the background!

houtexan
October 7th, 2010, 08:54 AM
We know the WAC is coming to San Marcos. They are in desperation mode to get members, just like TXST and UTSA are desperate for FBS. This is their only option. Not the best option for either sides, but the only option for either (since the California schools are not ready for the WAC and the two Texas schools are not desired by the Sun Belt or C-USA).

Why do we need to go in circles on this subject?

I'm looking forward to seeing how TXST does in the WAC, because the changes in the SLC may force our hand into eventually joining the Bobcats. If you guys don't do so hot and the WAC does not hold its own, we'll do what we can to stay at the FCS level - regardless of the major changes at this level.

Wait until the WAC visits Beaumont down the road...

According to SHSU's play by play guy, you almost forget that you are in Beaumont when you are Provost Umphrey Stadium... until you see the beautiful refineries in the background!

You haven't even been to Provost Umphrey Stadium yet...we have freight trains too, only difference is you can't hear them over the sold out 17,000+ SRO crowd. :)

JSU02
October 7th, 2010, 08:59 AM

HAHAHA, i had forgotten about that! I can remember always hearing it on the radio from our ol' Southland Days.

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2010, 10:17 AM
You haven't even been to Provost Umphrey Stadium yet...we have freight trains too, only difference is you can't hear them over the sold out 17,000+ SRO crowd. :)

Oh - forgot about that! Guess it's like a SWAC game when everyone empties out after the halftime performance due to the score, so you can only hear the freight trains in the third or fourth quarter! Just kidding. ;)

MaximumBobcat
October 7th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Nice comeback Max, but RL is right on all counts ... you have 32,000 students and a good alumni base in Austin/San Antonio and you have to beg to fill the stadium??? ... Seriously, good luck with on the 23rd.

Where are you guys getting this stuff? Who is begging? A fan made a facebook invitation for the game, but that is done for just about every home game anyways.

When SELU Athletic department advertises your home games do you consider that "begging" too?

GeauxLions94
October 7th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Where are you guys getting this stuff? Who is begging? A fan made a facebook invitation for the game, but that is done for just about every home game anyways.

When SELU Athletic department advertises your home games do you consider that "begging" too?

Max, check out post #1 on this thread (from the Bobcat board BTW) ... or just look below.

I have recieved confirmation that WAC officials have tentatively scheduled their visit to San Marcos around our Homecoming game on Oct 23rd. This is not written in stone yet but it looks like the date that is most likely. We MUST fill the stadium. A poor showing will not look good to the other presidents and the committee. Everyone needs to bring as many people as possible to this game. Confirmation is here in this article as well as backed up from credible sources here at the Houston Bobcat Club Luncheon. Eat em up Cats!!!!

Bobcatfans.com (http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20091&sid=)

When SLU, Texas State or any other school advertises their games, I don't consider that begging, I consider that doing your job.

Come on Max, don't have a meltdown. You know a Bobcat can't run with a broken leg xlolx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVKtmRoh6Mo&feature=player_embedded

MaximumBobcat
October 7th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Max, check out post #1 on this thread ... or just look below

That was a single poster on bobcatfans. Nothing less, nothing more.

I love how things snowball...

one guys says it = all Texas State fans think it = the Athletic Department says it

that's the way things usually go. Especially when TT goes around posting crap from board to board being slightly ambiguous.

One dude gave his opinion. Get over it.

purplejacks
October 7th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Whoo Whoo.... I hear the train a coming!!!!!

Train heck...better get one of those CitiBank Travel Cards for airline miles if you all go to the WAC

El Gato
October 8th, 2010, 01:17 PM
and we are straying from the topic and resorting to smack. nice.

GeauxLions94
October 8th, 2010, 01:23 PM
and we are straying from the topic and resorting to smack. nice.

You're right El Gato (and my posts weren't meant for smack, just was an observation) ... good luck with the visit and keep us posted.

TexasTerror
October 8th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Fact remains TXST has had a real tough time putting butts in their seats and now are looking at expanding their stadium nearly double of what its capacity is. Will be interesting to see if they can put more butts in the seats...

And down the road, whether Idaho and Utah State outdraw Sam Houston State and Stephen F. Austin crowds...

Also would be curious how much donations rise when TXST joins the WAC, because they'll need to pay for increased travel, scholarships, etc. for all their programs to be competitive. The women's sports do pretty well in the SLC - but I figure TXST would be a far way away from competing with the Middle Tennessees and Western Kentuckys (of the Sun Belt) and whomever the new women's powers are in the WAC (don't give me La Tech - they are only good at women's hoops, gawd awful at everything else).

El Gato
October 8th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Was reffering to the comments about the game atmopshere at BCS. That is completley off topic and provides no substance of discussion, and there is a place on the board for that type of talk.

El Gato
October 8th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Fact remains TXST has had a real tough time putting butts in their seats and now are looking at expanding their stadium nearly double of what its capacity is. Will be interesting to see if they can put more butts in the seats...

I think the answer to that question is actually pretty simple. Yes.

However, that is based on the performance of the team. We had a great crowd last year against McNeese(13,000), and then after dropping that game and also dropping out of the playoff hunt nobody (well only about 9,200 which is still above par for the SLC) really showed up for the SHSU game. And you know as well as anyone that the 2005 playoff run with it's all time record crowds is proof that the crowds will come when we give them something worth watching. For more proof of this, look at our baseball team. A winning program and quality scheduling bringing in teams such as Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Rice, University of Houston, Purdue, Baylor, & TCU has led to more record crowds in San Marcos.

So I am pretty sure the crowds will come.

Cat79
October 9th, 2010, 02:31 AM
The attendance numbers will grow when Texas State is FBS. New opponents who have different crowd appeal. We had 13,700+ for Southern Utah. Southern Utah had less than 50 fans for what I could see. I envision a nuetral site strategy may have to be used until Texas State builds the stadium to 35,000. We have used stadiums in San Antonio before to attract regional teams.

The stadium will have to be expanded for several reasons. The UTSA / Texas State rivalry will have over 20,000 in the stadium as close as these two universities reside. The appeal to bring in quality pre-conference games will have a positive effect with enhanced seating capacity for regional FBS teams like University of Houston, Rice, SMU, UNT and UTEP. Ticket prices will have to go up with the new venue to provide payout to visiting FBS teams. I forsee packaging including lodging at the 500 room Embassy Suites as having a play in the compensation to the visiting teams with Texas State subsidizing some of the lodging costs.

I forsee conference foes Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State, Montana, UTSA and Hawaii having nice size groups of visiting fans. If Texas State has a FCS opponent coming in for the opening game it would most likely be Sam Houston. Lamar, McNeese or SFA. Overall attendance will grow no matter what our record is as far as wins and losses go. Yes attendance will grow and Yes the stadium has to be enhanced to make that happen.xhurrayxxsmileyclapx

TexasTerror
October 9th, 2010, 07:09 AM
The attendance numbers will grow when Texas State is FBS. New opponents who have different crowd appeal. We had 13,700+ for Southern Utah. Southern Utah had less than 50 fans for what I could see. I envision a nuetral site strategy may have to be used until Texas State builds the stadium to 35,000. We have used stadiums in San Antonio before to attract regional teams.

Would TXST use the Alamodome in order to attract BCS automatic bid conference teams? That'd be amusing to say the least bit. What other stadium is there in the San Antonio area which seats more than TXST's 29k (when the expansion is complete). I just forsee TXST having difficulty in matching UTSA's ability to schedule, which will be upsetting for the Bobcats...

I forsee conference foes Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State, Montana, UTSA and Hawaii having nice size groups of visiting fans. If Texas State has a FCS opponent coming in for the opening game it would most likely be Sam Houston. Lamar, McNeese or SFA. Overall attendance will grow no matter what our record is as far as wins and losses go. Yes attendance will grow and Yes the stadium has to be enhanced to make that happen.xhurrayxxsmileyclapx

We'll see..

UTSA will travel. Not sure Hawaii travels well to the 'furthest east' desinations. La Tech got outdrawn by a long shot against Grambling in Shreveport (embarassing) and did not do well in the Independence Bowl based on their own predictions for crowd. Just does not seem to travel well IMO nor does New Mexico State (why would they? SHSU, SFA probably bring more to TXST than they ever would). Montana travels very well...

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2010, 03:48 PM
All is quiet...

It does not seem that the initially reported visit is coming to fruition. The WAC has not confirmed dates of any visits and like some are led to believe, may be waiting for resolution in the Fresno State/Nevada issue.