PDA

View Full Version : "Classic" Interest

GAD
February 3rd, 2006, 03:47 PM
Just wondering if your team was invited to play in a Classic would you be interested do you think you AD would be?

Ivytalk
February 3rd, 2006, 03:58 PM
Harvard would be intrigued by it, I'll bet. If they'd drop Holy Cross for a year or two and try it out, they could play in front of two 50,000+ crowds a year!

Go...gate
February 3rd, 2006, 04:04 PM
I've always thought it would be great to see Colgate get a game with Grambling or JSU. I think Colgate would definitely go for it institutionally.

grizband
February 3rd, 2006, 04:11 PM
I think the Griz would be interested, if the price was right. Rather than playing up to a I-A team, would could play a I-AA team, make some money, and play in front of a demographic that wouldn't normally see us play. I would love to see this happen, personally.

carney2
February 3rd, 2006, 06:40 PM
Just wondering if your team was invited to play in a Classic would you be interested do you think you AD would be?

What's a "Classic?"

AND

I doubt it. Whoever makes the schedules at Lafayette seems to have tunnel vision. In any event, his speed dial is locked on Ivy.

DuckDuckGriz
February 3rd, 2006, 07:15 PM
If we didn't make the playoffs that year than I would be all for it.

Cocky
February 3rd, 2006, 11:14 PM
I've always thought it would be great to see Colgate get a game with Grambling or JSU. I think Colgate would definitely go for it institutionally.

We don't do Classic, we participate in the playoffs when invited.

bigbluetiger
February 4th, 2006, 04:53 AM
If we didn't make the playoffs that year than I would be all for it.

Classics are REGULAR season games!

Grizo406
February 4th, 2006, 05:10 AM
I'd love to see the Griz play in a "Classic"...we've played in a few before though, and we'll play in some mo'!

DuckDuckGriz
February 4th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Classics are REGULAR season games!

What's the difference between a normal regular season game and a "Classic?" I remember when the Brawl of the Wild was also known as the Treasure State Classic, or Montana Power Classic.

GAD
February 4th, 2006, 03:10 PM
What's the difference between a normal regular season game and a "Classic?" I remember when the Brawl of the Wild was also known as the Treasure State Classic, or Montana Power Classic.
Classics are often played at neutral sites and have other activities like parades, battle of the band

GAD
February 4th, 2006, 03:20 PM
A Classic in noway prevents playoff participation FAMU, Hampton, Tenn St.etc. etc. always play in Classics and the playoffs.

Payouts in Classics can often rival those of I-A payouts

Go...gate
February 5th, 2006, 03:06 PM
No reason why a school cannot play in a classic and then participate in the 1-AA play-offs. The NCAA's rules do not prevent this.

MACHIAVELLI
February 6th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Classics are about the only way that schools from various parts of the country will ever realistically play one another. ie Portland State and others.

bandl
February 6th, 2006, 09:04 AM
I'd love to see it...I'm assuming this would be between HBCU's and non-HBCU's?? JMU is close enough to some HBCU's (well...within a few hours to a half-day driving distance) that I'd definitely be in attendance.

bigbluetiger
February 6th, 2006, 09:36 AM
The key to successful classics are travel by the fans of the schools, local fan interest & promotion. Both schools must have fans that are willing to travel which makes up 30-60% of the gate. The local fans are drawn by the football teams, bands or to be apart of a happening event. It would be challenging to get the "casual" HBCU fan to attend a classic that did not feature two HBCU's. However, I think a Grambling/Southern versus a Ga Southern/Montana would be successful on a nuetral site denpending on the location.

McNeeserocket
February 6th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Classics are about the only way that schools from various parts of the country will ever realistically play one another. ie Portland State and others.

Not true. Lots of I-AA schools play schools around the country each year as regular season games. McNeese is playing Portland State and Southern Utah in Lake Charles this year. McNeese already went to Portland State and Southern Utah. McNeese went to Georgia Southern last year. Lots of Southland Conference schools travel all over the country each year to play I-AA regular season games.

MACHIAVELLI
February 6th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Not true. Lots of I-AA schools play schools around the country each year as regular season games. McNeese is playing Portland State and Southern Utah in Lake Charles this year. McNeese already went to Portland State and Southern Utah. McNeese went to Georgia Southern last year. Lots of Southland Conference schools travel all over the country each year to play I-AA regular season games.

That is not alot.

TexasTerror
February 6th, 2006, 10:11 AM
That is not alot.

TxSt has done series against Southern Utah, Appy State...

UCA, Nicholls and NW State have done series or will do series against the Dakota schools...

SHSU has played Montana home-and home while SFA did home-and-home with Montana St...

NW St played Northeastern last year...

SHSU and SFA have histories with Western Illinois...

Our SLC teams are traveling far, because we haven't been able to all schedule SWAC schools, which would keep us close and because of the lack of I-AAs that are close to us. Not bashing the SWAC, but that nine-game mandate doesn't help the SLC that could use some close I-AA games. Hopefully, Pine Bluff will schedule UCA (they'd be stupid not to), SHSU or SFA can get a TxSo or PVA&M, we get some more SU/Nicholls or SU/McN...we'll see...

mikebigg
February 6th, 2006, 01:39 PM

Classic games usually try to target venues that are neutral and can support an attendance of 45-55K. They usually involve a third party sponsor or by a city's Chamber of Commerce. I'm sure the attendances for these recent classics could be found on the web in case someone is interested.

MarkCCU
February 6th, 2006, 01:50 PM
I'd love to see it...I'm assuming this would be between HBCU's and non-HBCU's?? JMU is close enough to some HBCU's (well...within a few hours to a half-day driving distance) that I'd definitely be in attendance.

I'M IN 10000000000000000% AGREEANCE WITH YOU ON THIS ONE. There are some Hampton V.S. NON HBCU team like CCU, Citadel, JMU, etc..would be exciting i think

mikebigg
February 6th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Classic games provide flexibility in scheduling and helps with the payday. Some teams like Montana has a great home attendance on a regular basis...they don't necessarily have to go on the road and play a Classic. Same for Southern in BR and Jackson State. These school typically are near the top in attendance.

But others take advantage of their name recognition (Grambling, Hampton, TnState. FAMU) among fans of HBCU's to use as clout to get attractive paydays in neutral site games. Hopefully Grambling and Hampton can work out a Classic /Neutral site matchup to open the season. Talk about making money!!!!!!!

MarkCCU
February 6th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Classic games provide flexibility in scheduling and helps with the payday. Some teams like Montana has a great home attendance on a regular basis...they don't necessarily have to go on the road and play a Classic. Same for Southern in BR and Jackson State. These school typically are near the top in attendance.

But others take advantage of their name recognition (Grambling, Hampton, TnState. FAMU) among fans of HBCU's to use as clout to get attractive paydays in neutral site games. Hopefully Grambling and Hampton can work out a Classic /Neutral site matchup to open the season. Talk about making money!!!!!!!

Grambling and Hampton..holy crap would that be a good game :beerchug:

SU Jag
February 6th, 2006, 02:00 PM
I would love to see Grambling and Hampton! :nod:

McNeeserocket
February 6th, 2006, 05:00 PM
That is not alot.

Actually it is a lot. Every year each Southland schools must play 5 Out of Conference games. I don't have the expertise to give you the names and places of each team that other Southland teams have played in just the last 5 years (although it would include probably every state that has a I-AA team). Each schoold would have 10 or more OCC I-AA schools that they traveled to or came to their house.

McNeese has traveled to Youngstown St. in Ohio, Georgia Southern in Georgia, Portland State in Oregon, Southern Utah in Utah, Northern Iowa in Iowa, Western KY in Kentucky, U. of Maine in Maine, U. of Delaware in Delaware, James Madison in Virginia, U. of Montana in Montana, Florida International in Miami, Alcorn State in Mississippi, Prairie View A&M in Texas, Grambling in Louisiana, Southern U. in Louisiana and probably a dozen more in the last 10 to 15 years. Each Southland school probably has the same kind of list. When you have to play at least 5 OCC schools each year you have to travel to other conference schools.

This coming year McNeese does not have any out of conference I-AA games scheduled away, but we will next year in 2007 when I know we will travel to Southern Utah. McNeese would love to put Grambling and Southern on their schedule regularly because in-state rivalrys make the most since with good crowds and appeal, not to mention low traveling costs.

blukeys
February 6th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Actually it is a lot. Every year each Southland schools must play 5 Out of Conference games. I don't have the expertise to give you the names and places of each team that other Southland teams have played in just the last 5 years (although it would include probably every state that has a I-AA team). Each schoold would have 10 or more OCC I-AA schools that they traveled to or came to their house.

McNeese has traveled to Youngstown St. in Ohio, Georgia Southern in Georgia, Portland State in Oregon, Southern Utah in Utah, Northern Iowa in Iowa, Western KY in Kentucky, U. of Maine in Maine, U. of Delaware in Delaware, James Madison in Virginia, U. of Montana in Montana, Florida International in Miami, Alcorn State in Mississippi, Prairie View A&M in Texas, Grambling in Louisiana, Southern U. in Louisiana and probably a dozen more in the last 10 to 15 years. Each Southland school probably has the same kind of list. When you have to play at least 5 OCC schools each year you have to travel to other conference schools.

This coming year McNeese does not have any out of conference I-AA games scheduled away, but we will next year in 2007 when I know we will travel to Southern Utah. McNeese would love to put Grambling and Southern on their schedule regularly because in-state rivalrys make the most since with good crowds and appeal, not to mention low traveling costs.

Well first of all I would love to have a home and home with McNeese if for no other reason so I can meet the Rocket!!!! :nod: :nod: :nod:

The other reason is so I can do a real Cajun Tail gate. Of course the Rocket is invited to all UD tailgates as she is owed from '74.

Rocket in your honest opinion, would Delaware garner interest in Cowpoke land? What would attendance be like and could a financial argument be made for the matchup? (This is the only way to Edgar Johnson's cold, cold heart)

Most UD fans are aware of McNeese. (Even Joe Biden knows about McNeese for God's Sake!!!!)

So a game at the Tub would work. In all seriousness the ball is in the Cowboy's court for $$$$$$.

Anything is doable.

golionsgo
February 6th, 2006, 10:48 PM
I'M IN 10000000000000000% AGREEANCE WITH YOU ON THIS ONE.

AGREEANCE???? Your initials aren't GWB are they?