18. Western Illinois 520
19. North Dakota St. 334
20. Central Arkansas 301
21. Elon 277
22. Liberty 266
23. Wofford 256
24. Northern Arizona 241
25. Southeast Missouri St. 226
Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Furman (39), Univ. South Dakota (33), New Hampshire (29), Southern Illinois (21), Pennsylvania (20), Chattanooga (17), Robert Morris (15), Youngstown St. (14), Illinois St. (11), Bethune-Cookman (10), McNeese St. (10), Missouri St. (7), Grambling St. (6),

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: Delaware
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Villanova

Col Hogan
October 4th, 2010, 11:56 AM
UMass got TWO first place votes.... xconfusedx

I don't care who you are....that there is funny... xrolleyesxxrolleyesx

asknoquarter21
October 4th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Villanova got a first?!?!?!

umm....

JMUNJ08
October 4th, 2010, 11:59 AM
The fact that Liberty is still on there and Robert Morris is getting ZERO love is nuts...

Also that Nova still got a first place vote...

aceinthehole
October 4th, 2010, 12:01 PM
The fact that Liberty is still on there and Robert Morris is getting ZERO love is nuts...

I'm glad someone other than NEC fans see this injustice. :)

asknoquarter21
October 4th, 2010, 12:07 PM

Also that Nova still got a first place vote...

I think Liberty has more reason to be in the poll than elon. I agree with the Robert Morris needing in the top 25.

jmufan999
October 4th, 2010, 12:09 PM
William and Mary isn't getting enough respect, in my opinion. i only think they should be one slot higher, but still....

and before anyone says anything... i did change my "guaranteed" pick from Nova to W&M several days before the game on another thread :)

danefan
October 4th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I think Liberty has more reason to be in the poll than elon. I agree with the Robert Morris needing in the top 25.

Seriously. Finally.

The problem is now RMU is likely to face some serious tests the rest of the NEC schedule and if they lose a game it will only be looked at negatively instead of the fact that the NEC is just much stronger from top-to-almost bottom (sans SFPA) then it has been. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the NEC champ with 2 league losses.

asknoquarter21
October 4th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I think in general though this is the best poll we have put out yet.

Not very many big mistakes.

UNH Fanboi
October 4th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Montana being ranked ahead of both Cal-Poly and Eastern Washington is a little suspect.

aceinthehole
October 4th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Seriously. Finally.

The problem is now RMU is likely to face some serious tests the rest of the NEC schedule and if they lose a game it will only be looked at negatively instead of the fact that the NEC is just much stronger from top-to-almost bottom (sans SFPA) then it has been. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the NEC champ with 2 league losses.

Agreed that a RMU loss in conference will likely be overblown by poorly-informed observers. However, I still think the NEC AQ will only have 1 loss in conference, but we may have co-champs and have to go to a tiebreaker.

Also to RMU's disadvantage in the national polls, is they only play 10 games this year - they couldn't find a 3rd non-conference game. I think a RMU poster can confirm this, but I heard they tried very hard to get ANY FCS opponent for their last game, but could only find D-II games and declined. (BTW - acccording to the CCSU AD's blog posting, the NEC will no longer allow any D-II opponents!)

PhoenixSupreme
October 4th, 2010, 01:08 PM

I didn't put any of the 3 in there

danefan
October 4th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Agreed that a RMU loss in conference will likely be overblown by poorly-informed observers. However, I still think the NEC AQ will only have 1 loss in conference, but we may have co-champs and have to go to a tiebreaker.

Also to RMU's disadvantage in the national polls, is they only play 10 games this year - they couldn't find a 3rd non-conference game. I think a RMU poster can confirm this, but I heard they tried very hard to get ANY FCS opponent for their last game, but could only find D-II games and declined. (BTW - acccording to the CCSU AD's blog posting, the NEC will no longer allow any D-II opponents!)

I think you're right on the 11th game.

Do you have a link to that blog? EDIT - found it.

RabidRabbit
October 4th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if RMU was contacted by SDSU about coming out to Brookings for a 1 and done. Obviously, if so, it didn't get accomplished. Jacks end up finishing the season with a old nemisis from the NCC, UND. And in a home/home arrangement.

Regarding the poll, appears about on target. Until the NEC teams start knocking of the ranked FCS schools consistently, they are going to suffer the same lack of respect shown to MEAC and Big South teams. Big SOuth helped themselves by knotching 2 FBS upsets this year.

BTW, congrats to UC-Davis in beating San Jose St (WAC) this last weekend. And still no mention of UC-Davis in the polls (nor should there be, given their current record).

Squealofthepig
October 4th, 2010, 01:29 PM
RMU and SEMO are both just plain surprising. (Disclousre: Had SEMO in my poll, but RMU just outside). What impresses me about RMU is that their success has been on the road. Three of their four wins are on the road, and while Wagner, Sacred Heart and St. Francis may not be The Rock or The Dome, it's still impressive to play four out of your first five games on the road, and win three of them. RMU now gets to host a whole slew of games and only their last game of the year is on the road (at Bryant). Take care of home and they should have a decent ranking by the time they travel to Rhode Island.

danefan
October 4th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if RMU was contacted by SDSU about coming out to Brookings for a 1 and done. Obviously, if so, it didn't get accomplished. Jacks end up finishing the season with a old nemisis from the NCC, UND. And in a home/home arrangement.

Regarding the poll, appears about on target. Until the NEC teams start knocking of the ranked FCS schools consistently, they are going to suffer the same lack of respect shown to MEAC and Big South teams. Big SOuth helped themselves by knotching 2 FBS upsets this year.

BTW, congrats to UC-Davis in beating San Jose St (WAC) this last weekend. And still no mention of UC-Davis in the polls (nor should there be, given their current record).

The Big South's FBS wins only mean more because they're FBS in name.

Liberty has one of them and RMU beat Liberty the next week. That should probably tell you something.

Gardner Webb had the other and proceeded to lose the next 3 to Western Carolina, SHSU, and Old Dominion. That should also probably tell you something.

Oh well. At least the winner of the NEC will get a chance to show it in the playoffs this year. Thanks goodness.

rmutv
October 4th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Robert Morris did indeed shop around their schedule to everyone under the sun in the FCS, but couldn't find an open schedule date.

They almost succeeded with North Dakota State, though. NDSU was going to shift a game and do some juggling, but it ended up falling through. RMU did get NDSU to agree to a game in 2012, though, so there's that.

RMU could have gotten another home game by bringing in a D-2 or D-3, but it just wasn't advantageous to the schedule.

aceinthehole
October 4th, 2010, 02:20 PM

What BS! The NEC has had 3 DIFFERENT teams beat a ranked opponent (from AQ conferences) recently. How many of those wins do MEAC, Ivy or PL teams had since 2006?

2006 - CCSU beat #13 Georgia Southern
2006 - Albany beat #11 Delaware
2010 - RMU beat #15 Liberty

NHwildEcat
October 4th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I'm glad someone other than NEC fans see this injustice. :)

I can proudly say I voted for Robert Morris in the top 25, based on the year they have had I schocked more people haven't followed suit.

rmutv
October 4th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I can proudly say I voted for Robert Morris in the top 25, based on the year they have had I schocked more people haven't followed suit.

Well they lost to Dayton, which despite being a very good team, many people will look upon negatively because they're completely non-scholarship. And they have yet to play the cream of the crop in the NEC.

If they win out their 4 game home stand - Monmouth, Albany, Duquesne, and CCSU - and still aren't ranked, then there would be an issue.

aceinthehole
October 4th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Well they lost to Dayton, which despite being a very good team, many people will look upon negatively because they're completely non-scholarship. And they have yet to play the cream of the crop in the NEC.

If they win out their 4 game home stand - Monmouth, Albany, Duquesne, and CCSU - and still aren't ranked, then there would be an issue.

They may not be worthy of cracking the poll just yet, but IMO they are too far down in the ORV list.

TheTribeHasSpoken
October 4th, 2010, 02:30 PM
What BS! The NEC has had 3 DIFFERENT teams beat a ranked opponent recently.

2010 - RMU beat #15 Liberty3 teams in 5 years? Throw them a 2nd AQ xhurrayxxsmileyclapx

NHwildEcat
October 4th, 2010, 02:34 PM

Right. I persaonlly give teams a little more credit when they go on the road and win...over the course of a season all of that balances out when you play 5 or 6 road games...but due to thier current record on the road I think they are better the most of FCS and thus deserving of a ranking.

UAalum72
October 4th, 2010, 02:36 PM
3 teams in 5 years? Throw them a 2nd AQ xhurrayxxsmileyclapx
And yet people have no compunction about assigning an at-large to the MEAC

rmutv
October 4th, 2010, 02:36 PM
They may not be worthy of cracking the poll just yet, but IMO they are too far down in the ORV list.

Probably. But I'm not surprised. This is a poll that's been historically in favor of the major conference teams and not the smaller conference teams. It's like complaining about Boise State dropping from 3 to 4 despite winning by 50+. Should it happen? Of course not. Can it be stopped? Not under the current system.

The one difference is Robert Morris can keep winning on the field and things will take care of themselves at this level. Boise State doesn't have that opportunity.

danefan
October 4th, 2010, 02:37 PM
3 teams in 5 years? Throw them a 2nd AQ xhurrayxxsmileyclapx

I don't have time to research it yet, but how many ranked OOC teams have the MEAC, PL, Ivy or Big South beaten in the last 5 years?

B&G
October 4th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Off the top of my head I know Liberty beat Elon at the end of 2008. I'm thinking Elon had to have been ranked.

Fear the Bird
October 4th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Robert Morris has been in my poll for 3 weeks, granted they have only moved from 24 to 23 in those 3 weeks but throw them a bone - why is Elon still ranked? Why is New Hampshire so highly ranked in the ORV? People just get lazy after their top 15

danefan
October 4th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Off the top of my head I know Liberty beat Elon at the end of 2008. I'm thinking Elon had to have been ranked.

That's one for sure.

My question is an honest one BTW. I don't know if that information is compiled anywhere.

aceinthehole
October 4th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I don't have time to research it yet, but how many ranked OOC teams have the MEAC, PL, Ivy or Big South beaten in the last 5 years?

For the record, CCSU is undefeated vs. those conferences (winning all 4 on the road) since 2005:

CCSU vs.
Patriot (2-0) W, 28-21 at Lehigh and W, 24-22 at Colgate
MEAC (1-0) W, 28-10 at Delaware State
Ivy (1-0) W, 22-13 at Columbia

Since 2005 ...
Albany is 3-2 vs the PL, and 1-1 vs the Ivy.
Monmouth is 2-3 vs the PL, 1-0 vs the MEAC, and 0-2 vs the Big South.
xthumbsupx

B&G
October 4th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I'm not sure where to find if they were ranked. Wish I did because I would compile the data for you. I like that kind of research. Coastal Carolina had some big OOC wins in 2005-06. They beat playoff bound Furman in 2006.

ngineer
October 4th, 2010, 03:22 PM

umm....

Agreed. That is such a homer vote. 'nova certainly still belongs in the top 10. I assume Sczcur is returning, and with him playing, I suspect they beat the Tribe. But, at the same time, you gotta dance with whom you got, and right now, they cannot be a #1 after just getting beat by a fellow FCS power.

WileECoyote06
October 4th, 2010, 03:27 PM

Your blame for not being in the top 25 is being focused in the wrong direction. I ranked Robert Morris; now it's up to you NEC fans to either become voters; or continue to plead your case. Taking the bait of the poster who compared your OOC performance to other conferences is unproductive and doesn't foster dialogue.

If anything, you all ought to be infuriated that Elon and Liberty are still ranked at all.

danefan
October 4th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Your blame for not being in the top 25 is being focused in the wrong direction. I ranked Robert Morris; now it's up to you NEC fans to either become voters; or continue to plead your case. Taking the bait of the poster who compared your OOC performance to other conferences is unproductive and doesn't foster dialogue.

If anything, you all ought to be infuriated that Elon and Liberty are still ranked at all.

I'm not infuriated by RMU not being ranked or Elon and/or Liberty being ranked . I'm not blaming anyone. I'm just questioning the logic or lack thereof. And my question is an honest one. Its a good way to compare the leagues in recent memory, which is of course what this dialogue has turned to hasn't it?

WileECoyote06
October 4th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I think at some point in the season you have to vote and reward teams based on their success against their schedule rather than which conference they compete in.

I was skeptical about Robert Morris last week; but they keep on chugging on while other teams lose. We're in week 5 and things are nearing the equilibrium point.

danefan
October 4th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I think at some point in the season you have to vote and reward teams based on their success against their schedule rather than which conference they compete in.

I was skeptical about Robert Morris last week; but they keep on chugging on while other teams lose. We're in week 5 and things are nearing the equilibrium point.

I agree with all of your points.

blukeys
October 4th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Who voted 'Nova first?

They lost to anyone, if you think they're number 1, and they lost, logic would have it the team that beat them might be better than them, aka 'Nova isn't #1.

My only defense of the Nova voter is that they believe Sczur would have made a difference (probably but I'm not sure it would have won the game as Nova scored a ton of garbage points.)

It is a fair enough argument. Had UD lost on Saturday, I believe a credible argument could be made that they should not be penalized for having a freshman backup QB run their offense.

Let's see how this plays out. It looks like to me that W&M is clawing it's way back.

SU DOG
October 4th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Discussion is good, and it sometimes helps me in not overlooking some team on my next ballot. Having said that, however, it also is surprising and somewhat amusing to me how much whining and complaining is found concerning these early and mid-season polls. I'm sometimes inclined to say "well, qualify and vote yourself." This is my first season to ever be a pollster. I never miss FCS Games on TV and I spend an inordinate amount of time each and every weekend researching and trying to vote in an honest, objective, unbiased, and intelligent manner. I am certain that many others are just as conscientious as I am. Again, this is my first time, and I just wonder if other voters here have also had some of these same feelings.

tribe_pride
October 4th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Agreed. That is such a homer vote. 'nova certainly still belongs in the top 10. I assume Sczcur is returning, and with him playing, I suspect they beat the Tribe. But, at the same time, you gotta dance with whom you got, and right now, they cannot be a #1 after just getting beat by a fellow FCS power.

xflaggedx

I've criticized the Tribe play up until this game but it was really good this game for 3 1/2 qtrs.

Realize we were up 31-10 and then kind of stopped playing D in the last half of the 4th Qtr. Game was not as close as it appeared to be on the scoreboard. Could they have beaten us with Sczcur? Sure but we dominated them in every part of the game until the 4th when we laid back on D.

EmeryZach
October 4th, 2010, 05:52 PM
The number of voters is starting to drop off. We need to pick that up.

caribbeanhen
October 4th, 2010, 05:59 PM

umm....

must be Mr TT

AGSPoll
October 4th, 2010, 06:06 PM
The Villanova vote was an error and has been corrected. to UD.

Fear the Bird
October 4th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Can somebody please defend these Liberty votes - didn't RMU beat them?

danefan
October 4th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Can somebody please defend these Liberty votes - didn't RMU beat them?

I can actually. I'm an NEC fan and based on RMU's season so far I think that 7 (or more actually) out of 10 times Liberty wins. And 10 out of 10 if the game is in Lynchburg. That is based on watching both Liberty and RMU both play this year, including watching the Liberty vs. RMU game online.

I have no problem with Liberty be ranked in the mid-20s and RMU on the fringe. If RMU keeps winning they both deserve to be ranked.

Fear the Bird
October 4th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I can actually. I'm an NEC fan and based on RMU's season so far I think that 7 (or more actually) out of 10 times Liberty wins. And 10 out of 10 if the game is in Lynchburg. That is based on watching both Liberty and RMU both play this year, including watching the Liberty vs. RMU game online.

I have no problem with Liberty be ranked in the mid-20s and RMU on the fringe. If RMU keeps winning they both deserve to be ranked.

Thank you much appreciated

bullseye44
October 4th, 2010, 09:44 PM
My only defense of the Nova voter is that they believe Sczur would have made a difference (probably but I'm not sure it would have won the game as Nova scored a ton of garbage points.)

It is a fair enough argument. Had UD lost on Saturday, I believe a credible argument could be made that they should not be penalized for having a freshman backup QB run their offense.

Let's see how this plays out. It looks like to me that W&M is clawing it's way back.

Definitely looking forward to seeing the Hens in Williamburg (and hoping we don't lose a trap game against an improved URI team in the meantime). A win over the Hens to get to 6-1 would be a huge boost going into our three game road stretch (UNC/UNH/JMU).

I'm still not completely sold, but for the most part we've survived when we've had to on the road against lesser teams (no disrespect to ODU or Maine) and we almost stole one on the road against a very good UMass team. The jury is still out, but I've been impressed with our week to week improvement and how we've dealt with the injury bug. If we get that much improvement the next 2 weeks and get healthy on the bye, the UD game is going to be a great one.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 4th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Definitely looking forward to seeing the Hens in Williamburg (and hoping we don't lose a trap game against an improved URI team in the meantime). A win over the Hens to get to 6-1 would be a huge boost going into our three game road stretch (UNC/UNH/JMU).

I'm still not completely sold, but for the most part we've survived when we've had to on the road against lesser teams (no disrespect to ODU or Maine) and we almost stole one on the road against a very good UMass team. The jury is still out, but I've been impressed with our week to week improvement and how we've dealt with the injury bug. If we get that much improvement the next 2 weeks and get healthy on the bye, the UD game is going to be a great one.

Keeping the injury bug at bay (or failing to do so) has been the story for CAA conference games this year. After two tough road games UD is a bit banged up, and though our next two games are at home, they against theoretically lesser opponents (although it's never a good idea to underestimate Maine, and apparently URI either this year) we still have another two weeks before a bye, and then have to slog back into VA again to face y'all. What's up with three of our four road games being to VA this year?

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 4th, 2010, 11:33 PM
I believe that this is the first time that UNH has been out of the national Top 25 in about 6+ years. I don't think the Wildcats had missed even one week over that stretch of time. Certainly not Montana-like, but significant. Getting back in this year is going to be a major challenge, too.

tribe_pride
October 5th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Keeping the injury bug at bay (or failing to do so) has been the story for CAA conference games this year. After two tough road games UD is a bit banged up, and though our next two games are at home, they against theoretically lesser opponents (although it's never a good idea to underestimate Maine, and apparently URI either this year) we still have another two weeks before a bye, and then have to slog back into VA again to face y'all. What's up with three of our four road games being to VA this year?

That's ok and don't complain when you only have 4 road games. We have 6 away games and 3 of them are against all 3 of the New England CAA teams this year.

NHwildEcat
October 5th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I believe that this is the first time that UNH has been out of the national Top 25 in about 6+ years. I don't think the Wildcats had missed even one week over that stretch of time. Certainly not Montana-like, but significant. Getting back in this year is going to be a major challenge, too.

Yeah it will be a large challenge for UNH to get back into the top 25. However, they certainly can...it is all within their own powers. UNH has 6 games remaining and 5, in fact the next 5 are all against some of the best in all FCS so if they can string together some good ball games over the next month and a half they can probably get back pretty high in the polls.

I unfortunately don't see that happening with this crew they have playing right now. The defense has been wonderful, but the offense behind Toman is pathetic. They need to get the offense back to how they use to be...unpredictable and able to score from anywhere on the field. Fox and Peters have shown that they can bring it...I think a QB change may need to be in order for the whole thing to get working together. I don't see Coach putting Decker in yet though, maybe a loss during homecoming to Richmond will do the trick. I'd really rather see him pull Toman if he struggles early and let Decker work his magic.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 5th, 2010, 09:18 AM

Don't agree with that reasoning. Play a weak schedule, win the games and you're a top notch team? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx That's not how I vote.

Personally, because of the "any given Saturday" effect, I want to see at least a second performance before I raise or drop a team in the polls. I haven't seen that second performance from RMC. And I've seen the pre-season favorite CCSU in person and saw their score against YSU.

I've been very complimentary toward Albany football especially after watching them in person against UNH and following their aggressive OOC scheduling. It also formulated an opinion about NEC Football for me. They can play some excellent football, but I don't think they have the depth to compete for a full season in a major conference. I doubt we'll see an NEC team make a deep run into the playoffs for the same reason. At the same time, heaven forbid the team that takes an NEC team lightly in round one!!!

I always ask myself how a team would fare in a major conference. Right now with UNH 0-2 in the CAA and having beaten CCSU pretty easily (we hardly opened up the playbook, we ran for over 300 yards and we haven't run well against anybody else, etc.), I have a very difficult time considering RMC for top 25. When you add in the spanking CCSU got at YSU, it just makes me feel that a NEC team wouldn't have a winning season in the CAA, MVFC, SoCon, or Big Sky. Not sure they would in the SLC, OVC, or MEAC either. But I'm an open minded person, prove me wrong in the playoffs and I will change my opinion. xnodx But for now if I don't think you'd be over .500 in a major league, then you're not a top 25 team. xtwocentsx

And I'm not singling out the NEC. There are no Patriot, Ivy or Pioneer teams in my poll either.

URMite
October 5th, 2010, 09:19 AM

I can definitely agree with that. When we lost 15 starters to graduation, I wasn't that concerned. But when 5 5th yr seniors decided not to return after graduation (not part of the 15), then having 10 projected starters from spring ball miss a game or more from injuries...We had to stop worrying about depth and just try to find starters each game.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 5th, 2010, 09:21 AM

I thought I saw UNH in the top 25 in the polls I looked at???????????

Edit: Just saw UNH wasn't in the AGS Top 25. xbangx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 5th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Robert Morris has been in my poll for 3 weeks, granted they have only moved from 24 to 23 in those 3 weeks but throw them a bone - why is Elon still ranked? Why is New Hampshire so highly ranked in the ORV? People just get lazy after their top 15

Maybe because they are still a CAA team, have beaten quite handily pre-season Patriot and NEC title contenders and are a fumble recovered for a TD and a blocked field goal from being 4-1??????????????????

Don't worry, if Richmond spanks us everything will take care of itself for you.

WMTribe90
October 5th, 2010, 10:39 AM
What BS! The NEC has had 3 DIFFERENT teams beat a ranked opponent (from AQ conferences) recently. How many of those wins do MEAC, Ivy or PL teams had since 2006?

Those were down years for GSU and UD and neither finished in the top 25. They were still good wins, but not signature wins based on where those teams finished.

I'd rank the NEC about equal with the PL and maybe a hair behind the Ivy. Certainly deserving of the AQ. Any further respect will come with legit top 25 wins and playoff wins.

WileECoyote06
October 5th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Don't agree with that reasoning. Play a weak schedule, win the games and you're a top notch team? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx That's not how I vote.

Personally, because of the "any given Saturday" effect, I want to see at least a second performance before I raise or drop a team in the polls. I haven't seen that second performance from RMC. And I've seen the pre-season favorite CCSU in person and saw their score against YSU.

I've been very complimentary toward Albany football especially after watching them in person against UNH and following their aggressive OOC scheduling. It also formulated an opinion about NEC Football for me. They can play some excellent football, but I don't think they have the depth to compete for a full season in a major conference. I doubt we'll see an NEC team make a deep run into the playoffs for the same reason. At the same time, heaven forbid the team that takes an NEC team lightly in round one!!!

I always ask myself how a team would fare in a major conference. Right now with UNH 0-2 in the CAA and having beaten CCSU pretty easily (we hardly opened up the playbook, we ran for over 300 yards and we haven't run well against anybody else, etc.), I have a very difficult time considering RMC for top 25. When you add in the spanking CCSU got at YSU, it just makes me feel that a NEC team wouldn't have a winning season in the CAA, MVFC, SoCon, or Big Sky. Not sure they would in the SLC, OVC, or MEAC either. But I'm an open minded person, prove me wrong in the playoffs and I will change my opinion. xnodx But for now if I don't think you'd be over .500 in a major league, then you're not a top 25 team. xtwocentsx

And I'm not singling out the NEC. There are no Patriot, Ivy or Pioneer teams in my poll either.

I still hold to my reasoning. The team doesn't have to be in the top ten or even the top 15. Judging them against the competition in 'major' conferences (lol @ major) doesn't allow for what may be a banner year for that individual team. You stated, they should prove it in the playoffs; well then why is Jacksonville State in the top five? Their conference hasn't won a game in a while; and they haven't been in the playoffs since 2004. That logic doesn't always fly, and that's why I vote for teams based on how they perform against their schedule. It doesn't mean that I think Robert Morris is a top fifteen team. There is a place for those teams near the bottom of the poll.

aceinthehole
October 5th, 2010, 11:47 AM

Very fair points and I agree, a NEC team couldn't compete against CAA-caliber teams in conference for a season, mostly because we have about 1/2 as many schollys. I do think its fair to say the NEC is leaps and bounds above where it was just 5 seasons ago and there should be NO DOUBT in anyone's mind the conference is top-to-bottom ON PAR with the Patriot, Ivy, and MEAC.

(Since you saw CCSU, you already know, but I want to just give you some mitigating factors, because I still think we may win the NEC this year)
- We started a new QB (a JC transfer who got to campus this spring)
- Lost all NEC RB (James Mallory) and replacement wasn't up to snuff yet (we are now starting the Hofstra transfer who is blowing it up)
- We lost tons of seniors on both sides of the ball and were starting many players with little/no experinece
- We have a new OC (Stowers from URI) and new playcalling
- Defense is weak, especially against the run -we don't have the DL or LB of size needed in the CAA/MVFC

Bottom line is we are very young and but we are getting better. It was clear UNH could have run us off the field. YSU also hammered us on the running game (although we hung with them offensively for a while). Just like many young teams we are getting better and I think the NEC champ will be a tough out in round 1.

soccerguy315
October 5th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Delaware deserves more of the first place votes, IMO... wins @#11 and @#7

gsueagle2424
October 5th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Quote Originally Posted by aceinthehole View Post

Georgia Southern does not recognize that year as a part of our history :) We finished with 3 wins by no means would I brag about beating GSU in 2006.

UAalum72
October 5th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Georgia Southern does not recognize that year as a part of our history :)

Ah, the Stalinist version of the record book.

WileECoyote06
October 5th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I guess U of Albany is supposed to apologize for kicking those teams when they are down? Lord knows if Liberty goes on a losing streak; Robert Morris might as well pack up the pads and get ready for roundball. And watch Liberty come right back into the rankings next season in the pre-season poll. Either you respect the season or you respect the program; you can't have it both ways for the entire season.

Yall are sounding like SEC fans right about now.