PDA

View Full Version : Letter From Idaho AD; WAC Still Debating Numbers

superman7515
October 3rd, 2010, 03:14 PM
WAC debating how many, and which, schools to invite... (http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2010/10/01/bmurphy/wac_still_debating_number_teams_models_league)

"I just returned from WAC meetings held in Dallas and, as you can imagine, much of our conversations centered on the future of the WAC and future membership. While in Dallas we interviewed five schools: Denver University, Seattle University, Texas State, UT-San Antonio and Montana. Each of these schools brings solid research and academic credentials to the WAC.

"Denver University and Seattle University are very respected private schools and Texas State has the fifth highest overall six-year graduation rate among the 35 Texas public universities. UT-San Antonio awarded 46 doctoral degrees last year, which is higher than three current WAC institutions, and Montana has sponsored research in excess of $71 million. Although we have not made any formal invitations, we are exploring various scenarios that include:

— Nine football-playing schools;

— Eight football-playing schools with two non-football schools totaling 10 conference members;

— Nine football playing schools and one non-football playing school for a total of 10 conference members, or

— Expanding to 12 total conference members.

"The timeframe for our decision will be anywhere between 30 and 90 days. I think it is important to control what we can control and take an aggressive approach to rebuilding the WAC. GO VANDALS! - Rob Spear

Jackman
October 3rd, 2010, 04:22 PM
The WAC shouldn't be considering anything less than 10 football members, unless they want to end up with another fire drill in a couple years. The Mountain West still needs 2 more to get to 12, plus Hawaii could go independent. May as well start incubating the replacements now. Who knows how much harder the NCAA will make it to move to FBS if they wait until they're down to 7 members again before expanding.

Denver and Seattle are wastes of space. A non-football school that doesn't make NCAA tournament appearances may as well not exist. The only thing in either one's favor is that Seattle U. just acquired quite a nice arena thanks to the loss of Seattle's NBA franchise. Average crowds of 3500 don't look so great in a stadium that seats 17,000 though.

NoCoDanny
October 3rd, 2010, 04:35 PM
Yeah I agree they'll take anyone they can within reason they need strength in numbers after the raids they took. I could see the Texas schools and DU this time around with plans to follow with MU. Seattle I know nothing about so I can't comment there.

Green26
October 3rd, 2010, 05:18 PM
The ncaa is apparently encouraging teams like San Jose St and Idaho to drop down to FCS. Hawaii should move on as it wishes. La Tech should join a conference with a better geographic fit. Utah St should go to the MW, perhaps to replace TCU if it moves on. Idaho, SJS and New Mexico St could join the Big Sky, and the Big Sky could have a northern and southern division.

TokyoGriz
October 3rd, 2010, 05:27 PM
Divisions would not be a great benefit for Montana if it was to remain in the big sky.

Green26
October 3rd, 2010, 05:43 PM
Divisions would not be a great benefit for Montana if it was to remain in the big sky.

Care to explain your statement?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 3rd, 2010, 07:03 PM
The ncaa is apparently encouraging teams like San Jose St and Idaho to drop down to FCS. Hawaii should move on as it wishes. La Tech should join a conference with a better geographic fit. Utah St should go to the MW, perhaps to replace TCU if it moves on. Idaho, SJS and New Mexico St could join the Big Sky, and the Big Sky could have a northern and southern division.

Interesting.

LouiseBFree
October 3rd, 2010, 07:15 PM

No credible evidence to support this.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 3rd, 2010, 07:28 PM
It's funny that the WAC are walking and talking as if they have any control over this. The best thing the WAC commissioner could have done this weekend is stuff a $20 million dollar check in the president of the University of Hawai'i's packet in a desperate effort to keep them in the conference.

Twelve-team conference? Nine teams in football? I think the WAC would love to have this problem.

superman7515
October 3rd, 2010, 07:31 PM
The ncaa is apparently encouraging teams like San Jose St and Idaho to drop down to FCS.

Strange that no one has mentioned this anywhere else.

TokyoGriz
October 3rd, 2010, 07:51 PM
The ncaa is apparently encouraging teams like San Jose St and Idaho to drop down to FCS.

Please supply some evidence for your statement that the NCAA is encouraging teams like San Jose and Idaho to drop to the FCS. I doubt you can because I have never seen any evidence of this either but please enlighten us. If you cant provide the evidence you really need to stop trying to twist the facts.

Green26
October 3rd, 2010, 09:20 PM
Please supply some evidence for your statement that the NCAA is encouraging teams like San Jose and Idaho to drop to the FCS. I doubt you can because I have never seen any evidence of this either but please enlighten us. If you cant provide the evidence you really need to stop trying to twist the facts.

Please supply any evidence that the ncaa is not doing this. Please do your homework. I'll bet your all the money in Tokyo on this. Want to bet?

WestCoastAggie
October 3rd, 2010, 09:22 PM
Oh boy. This is going to get good.

Green26
October 3rd, 2010, 09:38 PM
Did anyone listen to Big Sky commissioner Fullerton when it was announced that CP and Davis would join the Big Sky. He talked about how FCS would be a good place for some of the bottom quadrant FBS teams who cared about containing costs? He wasn't just dreaming or making up stuff.

centexguy
October 3rd, 2010, 09:58 PM
Please supply any evidence that the ncaa is not doing this. Please do your homework. I'll bet your all the money in Tokyo on this. Want to bet?

You want someone to prove a negative? It doesn't work that way. You made the statement so you give the evidence.

Green26
October 3rd, 2010, 10:14 PM
Did anyone listen to Big Sky commissioner Fullerton when it was announced that CP and Davis would join the Big Sky. He talked about how FCS would be a good place for some of the bottom quadrant FBS teams who cared about containing costs? He wasn't just dreaming or making up stuff.

No, I don't. I made the statement. It's true. Most posters would rarely reveal their sources, nor would I. He asked for my specific source. I'm not giving it. Feel free to call the ncaa. That's where my info came from. Everyone is, of course, welcome not to believe what I said. Doesn't matter to me.

TokyoGriz
October 3rd, 2010, 10:50 PM
Let me get this straight, you know this information yet refuse to provide a source or any details to support your assertation? And I have to prove your unfounded statement wrong?

Hmm.... lol. Your logic is utter fail.

Green26
October 4th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Let me get this straight, you know this information yet refuse to provide a source or any details to support your assertation? And I have to prove your unfounded statement wrong?

Hmm.... lol. Your logic is utter fail.

Yes, you are free to remain unknowledgeable on the subject. Logic? You appear not to know what it is, given you useage of the term. Funny, funny.

laxVik
October 4th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Yes, you are free to remain unknowledgeable on the subject. Logic? You appear not to know what it is, given you useage of the term. Funny, funny.
I bet you're a birther as well.

MaximumBobcat
October 4th, 2010, 08:31 AM

Hahahahahaha. Please post more on this subject.

You make me laugh.

Green26
October 4th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Hahahahahaha. Please post more on this subject.

You make me laugh.

Do you care to discuss or debate the merits and specifics of the subject?

MaximumBobcat
October 4th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Do you care to discuss or debate the merits and specifics of the subject?

I'm just with everybody else...I want to see a single shred of evidence that shows an NCAA official encouraging moving SJSU and Idaho down to FCS.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. And you've shown us nothing so far.

bandit
October 4th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Even if the NCAA did try to "encourage" SJSU and Idaho to move down, they'd be met with a polite but firm "Hell No". So I don't see the point of the argument.

Green26
October 4th, 2010, 10:02 AM
I'm just with everybody else...I want to see a single shred of evidence that shows an NCAA official encouraging moving SJSU and Idaho down to FCS.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. And you've shown us nothing so far.

Feel free to discuss the ncaa, conference officials and current or former AD's. It's fairly common knowledge that the ncaa believes certain bottom FBS teams should look to drop down to FCS. Did you see or listen to what Big Sky commissioner Fullerton said about this general subject several weeks ago? Or feel free not to believe. Doesn't matter to me.

MaximumBobcat
October 4th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Feel free to discuss the ncaa, conference officials and current or former AD's. It's fairly common knowledge that the ncaa believes certain bottom FBS teams should look to drop down to FCS. Did you see or listen to what Big Sky commissioner Fullerton said about this general subject several weeks ago? Or feel free not to believe. Doesn't matter to me.

What an FCS commish says has no bearing whatsoever on what FBS SJSU and Idaho will do.

Fullerton would LOVE to have Idaho and SJSU join his conference. Those would be some good teams for the Big Sky.

All lower subdivison conferences or non-aq FBS conferences would all love if upper tier teams fell into their laps...doesn't mean it's going to happen, and sure as heck does not constitute as evidence that "The ncaa is apparently encouraging teams like San Jose St and Idaho to drop down to FCS."

What you said is just silly. And your continued defense of it even sillier.

Oh, and as an aside, I happen to know that Alabama is talking about moving conferences. They're looking at the Sunbelt as their #1 choice. If you don't believe me, please supply some evidence that they are not doing this. Or feel free not to believe. Doesn't matter to me.

Green26
October 4th, 2010, 10:20 AM
What an FCS commish says has no bearing whatsoever on what FBS SJSU and Idaho will do.

Fullerton would LOVE to have Idaho and SJSU join his conference. Those would be some good teams for the Big Sky.

All lower subdivison conferences or non-aq FBS conferences would all love if upper tier teams fell into their laps...doesn't mean it's going to happen, and sure as heck does not constitute as evidence that "The ncaa is apparently encouraging teams like San Jose St and Idaho to drop down to FCS."

What you said is just silly. And your continued defense of it even sillier.

Oh, and as an aside, I happen to know that Alabama is talking about moving conferences. They're looking at the Sunbelt as their #1 choice. If you don't believe me, please supply some evidence that they are not doing this. Or feel free not to believe. Doesn't matter to me.

Haha, on Alabama. I actually the know the SEC commissioner, so that rumor, if serious, would be easy to dispel.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 4th, 2010, 10:32 AM

All lower subdivison conferences or non-aq FBS conferences would all love if upper tier teams fell into their laps.

Are you kidding? Idaho and SJSU would struggle at around .500 in the Big Sky. Think either of these teams would beat Montana State this year?

And we KNOW they won't outdraw Montana or Montana State. Think Fullerton would rather have Idaho over Montana? Care to take that bet?

MaximumBobcat
October 4th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Are you kidding? Idaho and SJSU would struggle at around .500 in the Big Sky. Think either of these teams would beat Montana State this year?

And we KNOW they won't outdraw Montana or Montana State. Think Fullerton would rather have Idaho over Montana? Care to take that bet?

No, Montana would still obviously be the jewel of the Big Sky if those two teams joined. SJSU probably with a close second. And could over take UM once they play a lower subdivision schedule and start getting some W's.

Both schools would be good teams for the Big Sky. I stand by that.

Idaho/MSU would be a very good game. I'd probably pick the Vandals.

EdubAlum
October 4th, 2010, 12:53 PM

I bet Idaho would. In many past years Idaho has sucked, but they've had 1.5 pretty good seasons. http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/70/idaho-vandals

I would pick Idaho to beat Montana State this year.