PDA

View Full Version : Southland Conference - Week Six Predictions

TexasTerror
October 3rd, 2010, 07:26 AM
Welcome to our annual Southland Conference prediction thread. I will not be keeping track of everyone's results week to week, so you are more than welcome to do your part in helping out! For purposes of Lamar's entrance into the league in 2011, we'll also be including them in our predictions!

Week Six Game Listing
Langston @ Lamar
Texas State-San Marcos @ Southeastern Louisiana
Sam Houston State @ Nicholls
Northwestern State @ Central Arkansas
Stephen F. Austin @ McNeese State

Week Six TT's Predictions & Quick Analysis

Langston @ Lamar - Lamar is going to be just fine in this game. Figure Langston is not as strong as Webber International and the Cards have continued their development, where this game will be a little more of what we expected against Webber earlier this year. It is Homecoming and after two bad losses, time to recover. LAMAR

Texas State-San Marcos @ Southeastern Louisiana - Beatty has had a week to rest up since the Lions nearly knocked off FBS UL-Monroe. The Bobcats have to make the trek out to Hammond and this is probably a game which could provide an early indicator of who will compete for the SLC title with SFA. Bobcats win this, they could be on a roll and have just that FBS loss en route to a battle of top 10s when they play SFA. SOUTHEASTERN will ruin that possibility.

Sam Houston State @ Nicholls - Wish I could make this, but got a press box to run in the NOLA. Wife has never been to Thibodaux, but has visited the good folks in Hammond including GeauxLions94 on two trips. Will go with SAM HOUSTON STATE as Stubbs is taking time to get the program up and rolling while SHSU is made some huge leaps.

Northwestern State @ Central Arkansas - The Demons are not going to have the easiest of times winning on the road in the SLC on 'Any Given Saturday' (cheap plug) and this coming Saturday won't be any easier, regardless of what little people think of UCA this year. Can Demons get first Div I win since '08? No. CENTRAL ARKANSAS

Stephen F. Austin @ McNeese State - SFA may be the king, but we all know McNeese won't be down for long. The Pokes are going to be at home, but the Jeremy Moses Show must roll on this year from town to town. Don't worry Pokes, Moses graduates this year. STEPHEN F. AUSTIN

TT's Predictions All-Time Results
2007 Record: 46-14 (24-4 SLC)
2008 Record: 40-22 (9-18 SLC)
2009 Record: 41-22 (16-12 SLC)
2010 Record: 25-6 (1-0 SLC)
Total: 155-64 (50-34 SLC)

GeauxLions94
October 3rd, 2010, 09:24 AM
1-1 last week

Langston @ Lamar - Andre Bevil and Co. should bounce back after two tough losses ... they might even have a running game this week ... LAMAR

Texas State @ Southeastern Louisiana - Lion fans called last year's game the "Epic Comeback" ... Bobcat fans called last year's game the "Epic Meltdown" ... Call it whatever you want as Southeastern roared back from a 24-point deficit in the fourth quarter to win 51-50 in overtime in last year's game in San Marcos ... Bobcats come rolling into the "Berry" with a national ranking while Lions look to put two straight one-point losses behind them (all three L's this season have come by combined eight points) ... probably won't see as many points on the board as last year, but look for this one to come down to the wire again ... Justin Garelick, who doinked a potential game-tying extra point off the upright in overtime last year, doesn't miss this time ... TEXAS STATE

Sam Houston State @ Nicholls - It's the former Central Missouri Coaches' Bowl as Willie Fritz (SHSU) and Charlie Stubbs (Nicholls) square off in Bayou Country ... Bearkats are riding momentum with two straight wins while Colonels are coming back from an off week (and a win over Bacon-e) ... take the road team this week ... SAM HOUSTON STATE

Northwestern State @ Central Arkansas - Team BDP goes on the road this week to face Central Arkansas, who's impressive win (Eastern Illinois) may not be so impressive (EIU is 0-5 this year) ... still too much for the Demons to overcome as the Bears win comfortably ... CENTRAL ARKANSAS

Stephen F. Austin @ McNeese State - Cowboys will have to control the clock and sustain drives to 1.) keep SFA off the field, 2.) to keep from getting blown off the field ... don't think either will happen as Jeremy Moses and crew will put up solid numbers ... STEPHEN F. AUSTIN

houtexan
October 3rd, 2010, 09:44 AM
Langston @ Lamar

McNeese75
October 3rd, 2010, 11:23 AM
Langston @ Lamar - I don't know anything about Langston but I will go with the Cards at home.

Texas State-San Marcos @ Southeastern Louisiana - I think it is time for the Lions to show up. The Bobcats have a couple good wins but I still think SLU is the more talented team.

Sam Houston State @ Nicholls - There is no option in Thibodaux so I think the Kats will pull it out.

Northwestern State @ Central Arkansas - Based on the season so far, I have to go with the Bears.

Stephen F. Austin @ McNeese State - Strictly a homer vote here. I liked what I saw yesterday and this is the same defense that held SFA to 16 points last year so there is a chance although the 5 dimes line will probably be double digits for the Jacks.

2010 Record
23-10

msusig
October 3rd, 2010, 03:39 PM
Langston @ Lamar
Texas State @ Southeastern Louisiana
Stephen F. Austin @ McNeese State (Hoping for a different outcome, still can't pick the Pokes till they beat a quality opponent)

28-5

El Gato
October 3rd, 2010, 07:13 PM
Langston @ Lamar
Texas State-San Marcos @ Southeastern Louisiana- Bobcats have to/going to keep that unbeaten SLC road streak going! Especially after that embarrassing loss last year.

Lost track of my record, especially when I took that one week off.

JoshUCA
October 4th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Langston @ Lamar

Retro
October 4th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Langston @ Lamar

SM_Bobcat
October 4th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Langston @ Lamar
Texas State @ Southeastern Louisiana

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Any Northwestern State Demons thinking that their team will top Central Arkansas?

JohnStOnge
October 6th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Stephen F. Austin @ McNeese State - SFA may be the king, but we all know McNeese won't be down for long. The Pokes are going to be at home, but the Jeremy Moses Show must roll on this year from town to town. Don't worry Pokes, Moses graduates this year.

Obviously this year SFA is a solid favorite but I don't think Moses is "all that." I'm sure Montana fans are just terrified by him. Last year he was 18 of 34 for 226 yards with 1 TD and 2 Ints against McNeese. I watched the game on the internet and he certainly didn't look all world to me. It wasn't Moses that beat the Cowboys. It was the Cowboys. They outgained SFA 427 to 270 in total yards but shot themselves in the foot enough to allow SFA to escape. Moses wasn't squat.

SFA may beat the snot out of McNeese this year but if so it's going to be because McNeese doesn't have one of its better teams. The future for McNeese isn't determined by whether or not Moses comes back. It's determined by whether or not McNeese gets back to being McNeese.

BEAR
October 6th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Any Northwestern State Demons thinking that their team will top Central Arkansas?

No. x:)x

Cat79
October 6th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Obviously this year SFA is a solid favorite but I don't think Moses is "all that." I'm sure Montana fans are just terrified by him. Last year he was 18 of 34 for 226 yards with 1 TD and 2 Ints against McNeese. I watched the game on the internet and he certainly didn't look all world to me. It wasn't Moses that beat the Cowboys. It was the Cowboys. They outgained SFA 427 to 270 in total yards but shot themselves in the foot enough to allow SFA to escape. Moses wasn't squat.

SFA may beat the snot out of McNeese this year but if so it's going to be because McNeese doesn't have one of its better teams. The future for McNeese isn't determined by whether or not Moses comes back. It's determined by whether or not McNeese gets back to being McNeese.

John,

SFA has the loaded gun at this point. McNeese is in the way. SFA has too much talent for McNeese. SFA 38 McNeese 21

darussian12
October 7th, 2010, 02:46 AM
id pick for mcneese to cover any 7 or less loss spread....my gut thinks mcneese is only going to get better so gut pick mcneese...smart irrational pick is sfa

bobcats over sela---nevermind the team melting down if we lose...i will have a meltdown if we cant pull out a win after last years ****

sam over nichols--dont care or really know about either

uca over nwst by A LOT

msupokes1
October 7th, 2010, 05:18 AM
John,

SFA has the loaded gun at this point. McNeese is in the way. SFA has too much talent for McNeese. SFA 38 McNeese 21

I don't think SFA hasn't anymore talent than McNeese but they do have experience, especially at the QB position, which is what McNeese lacks. We have a Jeckyl and Hyde defense. I would say defensively it is one of our more talented squads in recent years but that hasn't amounted to much yet. If our offense can manage the game I think we have a chance. But with what I have seen so far from the offense I am going to say that this is SFA's year.

TexasTerror
October 8th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Both NO.com columnists go with SHSU, SLU...

SHSU by 10, SLU by 3
http://www.neworleans.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=490435&Itemid=578

SHSU by 21, SLU by 7 - also has UCA over NWST by 14 and SFA over McN by 11
http://www.neworleans.com/sports/sports-blogs/dan-mcdonald/489872-louisiana-college-football-picks-of-the-week-oct-8-9.html

McNeese75
October 8th, 2010, 08:57 AM
LOL, let me run out and put some money down based on those NO columists.

Actually they look fairly reasonable to me but I am sure one of them will be a blow up and a lot different (and hopefully it is not SFA winning by 70 xbangx ). SHSU has to deal witht he South Louisiana gree gree, vodoo, stink eye whatever you want to call it that can show its face in Thibodaux. Of course there is NO option down there so that should make things a little cleaner.

TexasTerror
October 9th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Even though I chose Southeastern La. winning at home... I was really surprised by the outcome.

TXST's fan base does not typically respond well to losses as far as attendance goes - but this one came on the road and not sure that 'Joe Bobcat' will be as aware of the loss... the WAC factor still weighs heavy.

BobcatSymphony
October 9th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Even though I chose Southeastern La. winning at home... I was really surprised by the outcome.

TXST's fan base does not typically respond well to losses as far as attendance goes - but this one came on the road and not sure that 'Joe Bobcat' will be as aware of the loss... the WAC factor still weighs heavy.

Home crowd might suffer a little next week. But IF we walk away with a W at home against Nichols, and make it fairly decisive, the following weekend with NWSt will be better.