PDA

View Full Version : Southern Conference Power Rankings - Week 5.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 2nd, 2010, 05:28 PM
I was 2-1 this past week. This is where I believe the teams are this week (number in parenthesis indicates number of wins needed to qualify for playoffs):

1) Appalachian State (3) - Top dog gets to catch its breath for the rest of way
2) Georgia Southern (4) - Should thank Wofford for them moving up.
3) Chattanooga (5) - see Georgia Southern
4) Wofford (5) - if Breitenstein does not win player of the week, there is something wrong
5) Furman (5) - Got embarrassed this week
6) Elon (6*) - Keeping playoff hopes alive for another week
7) Samford (6*) - Had nothing to be ashamed of again this week
8) Western Carolina (5) - completely different team since loss vs. Tusculum
9) The Citadel (6*) - second loss in as many years vs. WCU

* one loss away from playoff elimination

Week 6 Picks
Chattanooga @ The Citadel - Mocs get revenge from last year
Samford @ Western Carolina - Confident Catamounts get another win
Elon @ Appalachian State - Homecoming crowd goes home happy.
Howard @ Furman - Paladins take out their frustration from last week.
Wofford @ Georgia Southern (Game of the week) - Eagles win in close fashion against an improved Wofford team.

Smitty
October 2nd, 2010, 05:39 PM
Man I am glad we aren't last anymore... Now hopefully we can keep it that way for the rest of the season.

catamount man
October 3rd, 2010, 08:06 AM
Got to get a home win this week. If we can beat Samford, on HC, get to 3-3..........man, talk about some confidence. Baby steps Cat fans!!! GO CATS!!!

Aho_Old_Guy
October 3rd, 2010, 09:12 AM
I was 2-1 this past week. This is where I believe the teams are this week (number in parenthesis indicates number of wins needed to qualify for playoffs):

It's unlikely, but possible that 6-2 could perch multiple teams at the top of the SoCon.

Lots of football left to be played between Appalachian, the Georgia Institute of Correction, Whiffle Collage, Vermin University and Ellen College.

The UT-Snakes & Sam-Puppies while not necessarily in the running for the top spot are quite capable of beating anyone along the way, too.

atlfcsfan
October 3rd, 2010, 09:55 AM
ditto on the so con rankings and the picks with the exception of Samford.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 3rd, 2010, 03:24 PM
It's unlikely, but possible that 6-2 could perch multiple teams at the top of the SoCon.

Lots of football left to be played between Appalachian, the Georgia Institute of Correction, Whiffle Collage, Vermin University and Ellen College.

The UT-Snakes & Sam-Puppies while not necessarily in the running for the top spot are quite capable of beating anyone along the way, too.

The number indicated means number of wins needed for at-large playoff consideration, should Elon, Samford or The Citadel lose this week, the only way they can get in the playoffs is if they win the conference. Should Samford and The Citadel lose and ASU win, the former two will be three games back with five conference games to go for each.

AndrewFU21
October 3rd, 2010, 03:45 PM
I'll tell you what: I was reluctant to buy into the hype around this Furman team for awhile, but I got on board after the 2-1 start. That game yesterday may have been a season-crushing kind of loss for the Paladins, but it really was more of a reality check than anything. This team just isn't very good. A winning season is the realistic hope at this point.

Right now, it still seems that App is the cream of the SoCon crop. I think there may be one or two more playoff team in the league, but the middle of the pack seems so competitive that it's possible that none will get through the log jam. With the expanded playoff field a 7-4 team could get in though. Right now I would guess that ASU goes 8-0 or 7-1, and everyone else ends up with 2 or 3 losses at least.

Blueandwhitefightfight
October 3rd, 2010, 04:49 PM

UGA is in the SoCon now?

gsueagle2424
October 3rd, 2010, 05:19 PM

1) Appalachian State (3) - Top dog gets to catch its breath for the rest of way
2) Georgia Southern (4) - Should thank Wofford for them moving up.
3) Chattanooga (5) - see Georgia Southern
4) Wofford (5) - if Breitenstein does not win player of the week, there is something wrong
5) Furman (5) - Got embarrassed this week
7) Samford (6*) - Had nothing to be ashamed of again this week
8) Western Carolina (5) - completely different team since loss vs. Tusculum
9) The Citadel (6*) - second loss in as many years vs. WCU

I agree but I would put GSU #1 and ASU #2

ThompsonThe
October 3rd, 2010, 06:48 PM

Georgia Southern beating a really poor fElon team doesn't make them king.
By the way, It's good to be king.

Skjellyfetti
October 3rd, 2010, 06:57 PM

Why?

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 3rd, 2010, 07:04 PM

Had GSU won vs. Navy, you might have a case.

blackNgold93
October 3rd, 2010, 08:27 PM
Week 6 Picks
Chattanooga @ The Citadel - Chatty is good for 3 quarters and thats all they will need.

Samford @ Western Carolina - I think Samford has a well coached and disciplined team with average talent. Western has marginal coaching, limited discipline and average talent. Samford should win this game. It is simply a contest of pride, it will be a back and forth battle all game.

Elon @ Appalachian State - bring the crutches, payback is Hell

Howard @ Furman - Never heard of them

Wofford @ Georgia Southern (Game of the week) - This is a much more established pairing and is a battle for real reasons. I think the game will be determined early due to talent. First score wins the game.

seantaylor
October 4th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Georgia Southern beating a really poor fElon team doesn't make them king.
By the way, It's good to be king.

And Appy has done what? Beat a scrub Chatty team at the buzzer?

Skjellyfetti
October 4th, 2010, 08:02 AM

5 straight SoCon championships. 22 straight wins in the SoCon.

We're the king until someone dethrones us.

soweagle
October 4th, 2010, 08:14 AM
No way GSU should be above ASU.

UCMoc
October 4th, 2010, 09:40 AM

Apparently all it takes is a win or two for Georgia Southern fans to go back to thinking they are the Dallas Cowboys. Why don't you wait a few more weeks before you go calling Chattanooga a scrub team?

SideLine Shooter
October 4th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Apparently all it takes is a win or two for Georgia Southern fans to go back to thinking they are the Dallas Cowboys. Why don't you wait a few more weeks before you go calling Chattanooga a scrub team?

Absolutely UCMoc, but just look who posted that and you will understand. He's been drinking the "Stink Creek" kool-aid for too long.xnodxxlolxxnodxxlolx

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 4th, 2010, 05:50 PM

This "scrub Chatty team" that ASU beat at the buzzer is not the same team that ASU faced two years ago. This "scrub Chatty team" took Jacksonville St. (one week removed from beating Ole Miss) to the limit before losing. I'll say it before and I'll say it again, I would not want to play Chattanooga at this point as they are on a mission.

pleahy1
October 6th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Have to wait until after this Saturday before I give App state any credit. You can't rely on your boy Edwards anymore. Im still not convinced there was anything to that team but him.

biggie
October 6th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Have to wait until after this Saturday before I give App state any credit. You can't rely on your boy Edwards anymore. Im still not convinced there was anything to that team but him.
I will go ahead and take care of this...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *deep breath* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Baldy
October 6th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Well, the Cowboys are 1-2 while GSU is 3-1, so I'll leave that discussion for another day. xlolx

And it isn't GSU fans, it's one "fan" , and a "scrub" fan who can stuff all his alleged football knowledge inside a thimble and have plenty of room to spare. xnodx

GunsAndGuitars
October 6th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I will go ahead and take care of this...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *deep breath* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'll second that. Besides, Moore, Quick, Hillary, (should I really keep going) are all scrubs at any other school in the SoCon right?

theasushow
October 6th, 2010, 10:16 PM
and after app beats elon it will become "ahh elon sucks this year anyway, im still not convinced until they beat such and such"......next thing you know app will be preparing to play in the national championship and there will still be the "im not convinced APP is the same without AE" sayers.
(not that i am saying app will go to the national championship, just think there will always be the post- AE doubters. AE was a tremendous player but the squad they have now is still a great team. even if asu runs the table until the Florida game and then loses somebody will still say "told ya they arent the same without AE")

SouthernMan
October 7th, 2010, 07:19 AM
This "scrub Chatty team" that ASU beat at the buzzer is not the same team that ASU faced two years ago. This "scrub Chatty team" took Jacksonville St. (one week removed from beating Ole Miss) to the limit before losing. I'll say it before and I'll say it again, I would not want to play Chattanooga at this point as they are on a mission.

ga st also took Jacksonville St. to the limit. While I will agree that Chatty is no longer a scrub team, I do not look to this as a measuring stick.

OLDMAIN80
October 7th, 2010, 07:46 AM
5 straight SoCon championships. 22 straight wins in the SoCon.

We're the king until someone dethrones us.

I wish I could come up with a good argument but you are correct. Until someone steps up you've got the bragging rights.

UCMoc
October 7th, 2010, 08:32 AM
And it isn't GSU fans, it's one "fan" , and a "scrub" fan who can stuff all his alleged football knowledge inside a thimble and have plenty of room to spare. xnodx

Funny how that always seems to work that way! Those who seem to know the least always have the most to say.

ASUMountaineer
October 7th, 2010, 09:50 AM

You mean the way we relied on our boy Edwards in 2005? Oh yeah, he was a frosh in 2006. I'm looking forward to you eating those words come November. If ASU rolls through the SoCon unbeaten again, would you still think this way? It doesn't show your team, so...beat us, and then talk.

Let me make sure I have this correct. Kevin Richardson, ASU's all-time leading rusher. Corey Lynch, all-time interception leader in ASU history. Nothing to those teams, Edwards won two National Championships all on his own. xlolx Excellent football knowledge exhibited here by pleahy1. xlolx

Smitty
October 7th, 2010, 10:07 AM
and after app beats elon it will become "ahh elon sucks this year anyway, im still not convinced until they beat such and such"......next thing you know app will be preparing to play in the national championship and there will still be the "im not convinced APP is the same without AE" sayers.
(not that i am saying app will go to the national championship, just think there will always be the post- AE doubters. AE was a tremendous player but the squad they have now is still a great team. even if asu runs the table until the Florida game and then loses somebody will still say "told ya they arent the same without AE")

Hey hey remember the universal tool...

If any team loses to either Citadel or WCU, they suck this year.

That should be a universal tool for the SoCon.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 7th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I don't think you can really argue having anyone else number 1.

I'll say this, though. If there's one team that can end App. State's ridiculous SoCon winning streak it is GSU. This GSU team is a good bit better than those of 2006 and 2008, and we know how the GSU-ASU games went those two years.

Apps03
October 7th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I don't think you can really argue having anyone else number 1.

I'll say this, though. If there's one team that can end App. State's ridiculous SoCon winning streak it is GSU. This GSU team is a good bit better than those of 2006 and 2008, and we know how the GSU-ASU games went those two years.

So you pick out the two victories? xeyebrowx Did you forget the other years? Too drunk?

I actually agree with what you said but the last part was just stupid.

gsueagle2424
October 7th, 2010, 12:24 PM
He was just implying that even when we were down (and I mean WAY down) we still gave you guys fits.

theasushow
October 7th, 2010, 12:38 PM
He was just implying that even when we were down (and I mean WAY down) we still gave you guys fits.

Agreed, with the exception of last year's 52-16 blowout in Boone, the 06,07, 08 games could have easily gone either way. I think App was fortunate to come out of those games with a 2-1 record. I expect no different this year.

straightshooter
October 7th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Agreed, with the exception of last year's 52-16 blowout in Boone, the 06,07, 08 games could have easily gone either way. I think App was fortunate to come out of those games with a 2-1 record. I expect no different this year.

That game last year reminded me of the 54-7 beating GSU put on the Apps in 2004. Coach Moore made big changes in his offense after that, and I remember him calling his team a bunch of sissies. Well.....GSU has made big changes in its offense this year, and the D is much better than those in the "down" years. There's much more speed on the defensive side of the ball for GSU. I expect another slugfest in Paulson this year and in the future as well.

soweagle
October 7th, 2010, 04:03 PM
That game last year reminded me of the 54-7 beating GSU put on the Apps in 2004. Coach Moore made big changes in his offense after that, and I remember him calling his team a bunch of sissies. Well.....GSU has made big changes in its offense this year, and the D is much better than those in the "down" years. There's much more speed on the defensive side of the ball for GSU. I expect another slugfest in Paulson this year and in the future as well.

... and GSU played like a bunch of sissies in that beat down last year from App.

biggie
October 7th, 2010, 10:42 PM
That was during the switch over to spread, a lot of games were ugly that year.

gsueagle2424
October 8th, 2010, 07:15 AM

We owe you guys some payback for last year. Plus we have to protect our record of 6 straight Socon titles. I unfortunately (but fortunately) will be on a cruise ship for this game. It's my one year wedding anniversary/honeymoon since we weren't able to take one after our wedding last year. Trust me, I will be paying for the internet that Saturday on the ship in order to keep up with the score!

theasushow
October 8th, 2010, 11:26 AM
We owe you guys some payback for last year. Plus we have to protect our record of 6 straight Socon titles. I unfortunately (but fortunately) will be on a cruise ship for this game. It's my one year wedding anniversary/honeymoon since we weren't able to take one after our wedding last year. Trust me, I will be paying for the internet that Saturday on the ship in order to keep up with the score!

dont do it! the last cruise i went on i spent about $25 to get a 10 minute espn and facebook fix. it's literally like $2 a minute for internet use. you wont lose cell service until about 12 hours after you leave port so i suggest asking a friend to text you with updates...much much cheaper! (sorry didnt mean to turn this into a carnival cruiseline forum)

longtimemocfan
October 8th, 2010, 11:51 AM
You can say whatever about APP State minus AE, but I think they have as many athlete's and speed as I can ever remember. Still a very good team.