PDA

View Full Version : Teams are moving good or bad?

darell1976
October 1st, 2010, 03:41 PM
With teams moving to the FBS or to new conferences...isn't this going to cause problems? For example if too many teams make a bee line to the FBS wouldn't the NCAA put another stop to it? Also the FBS may have to create more conferences and it will probably water down the all mighty FBS even more than now. On the FCS side if we see App St, Montana, and others leave what will this do the FCS? Less teams equal less conferences like the dissappearance of the Great West after 2012 that would leave SUU, UND, and USD to find other homes. Would we see more D2 teams make a move into the FCS? I just think allowing more and more teams to move up and we are going to see a DI football league and the disappearing of the FCS.

Silenoz
October 1st, 2010, 05:00 PM
They already did with the moratorium (temporarily)

Don't know where the NCAA is gonna go from there

ThompsonThe
October 1st, 2010, 05:21 PM
With teams moving to the FBS or to new conferences...isn't this going to cause problems? For example if too many teams make a bee line to the FBS wouldn't the NCAA put another stop to it? Also the FBS may have to create more conferences and it will probably water down the all mighty FBS even more than now. On the FCS side if we see App St, Montana, and others leave what will this do the FCS? Less teams equal less conferences like the dissappearance of the Great West after 2012 that would leave SUU, UND, and USD to find other homes. Would we see more D2 teams make a move into the FCS? I just think allowing more and more teams to move up and we are going to see a DI football league and the disappearing of the FCS.

The BCS doesn't want more teams in the FBS. I would do it just to spite them. The FCS will survive. App State and Montana are not the be all, end all in the FCS. There are some good D2 schools. There are also some FCS schools that should not be FCS.

The whole set up s_cks! Teams should be mandated to have only a reasonable amount of scholarships. Television has grown this Frankenstein's monster. Too much money with greedy schools setting up a system (BCS) that will both enhance and perpetuate their grabbing tons and tons of money from television. The mafia is alive and well. Looks like Congress would set this straight.

darell1976
October 1st, 2010, 05:26 PM
The BCS doesn't want more teams in the FBS. I would do it just to spite them. The FCS will survive. App State and Montana are not the be all, end all in the FCS. There are some good D2 schools. There are also some FCS schools that should not be FCS.

The whole set up s_cks! Teams should be mandated to have only a reasonable amount of scholarships. Television has grown this Frankenstein's monster. Too much money with greedy schools setting up a system (BCS) that will both enhance and perpetuate their grabbing tons and tons of money from television. The mafia is alive and well. Looks like Congress would set this straight.

They also want a playoff. So it should be interesting if the NCAA tells Congress where they can stick their ideas or set up a set # of team playoff.

Cocky
October 1st, 2010, 05:27 PM

I believe the moratorium is causing some of these movement studies. The schools are afraid if they wait the NCAA may put another moratorium on the movement. Normally these type of actions cause people to make hurried decisions.

McNeese75
October 1st, 2010, 11:10 PM

I don't know if it's good or bad but I am sure and sick of all the **** threads about this school and that school thinking about, studying the feasability, yada yada of moving to up. It's all one big circle jerk and after those moves are made the NCAA, etc will just add another layer and they will be right back where they were except they will be playing for a bowl appearance instead of a championship. xcoffeex

LakesBison
October 1st, 2010, 11:55 PM
und and usd will be stuck for a long time, ha hahaha. thats whats up

bonarae
October 2nd, 2010, 12:04 AM
When college football wasn't that commercialized, the Ivy League teams participated in bowl games just like the rest of the teams (we were playing as independents back then.) Now, we (the League as a whole) definitely have no plans of moving up because $$$ is involved, which we don't want to be meddled in this complicated situation of some FCS teams moving up.

ekufbfan
October 2nd, 2010, 12:17 PM
One if the reasons for the move to FBS is to retain fans, develope new fans and maintain alumni support (thus ticket sales, corporate sponsorhip, etc.) who have access to every game under the sun Thursday through Monday evening (and sometimes in between) on their 60 inch TV's and thus make money. Somehow we have come to the point in this country that bigger is always better, and all want to be part of "the best" and what every one is talking about and then the notion (dream?) that moving to FBS will somehow put you on the same footing as the Bama's, Florida's and Michigan's of the football world. Fans are no different, they want "bragging rights" my dog is bigger than your dog. So while it does usually put more fans in the stands with the promise of more "glamorous" schools visiting your campus, the bottom line is this costs a heck of lot of money in terms of upgrading facilites (not mention scholarships and travel) to meet just minimum standards. In looking what has taken place in the past 15 years the only school that has made even a small niche in the stronghold the "elite" have In FBS is Boise State. Schools moving have to continue to put a lot of fans in the stands (as Marshall has been able to do) and be extremely successful as Boise has. Otherwise schools like WKU who has been able to raise a lot of money to support the move (and will have to continue to do so) or keep rasing the student "athletic fee" (which also was part of their package). States like Kentucky have cut the university budgets to the bare bone (i.e. they aren't going to subsidize big time football programs) and in Kentucky it is very difficult, if not impossible, to make a dent into the big blue (UK) mania that exists over the entire state. Appy State may not have that issue (and they already have the fan support and have upgraded facilities I understand), some schools won't (Marshall for example was in a unique position because there are no other big u's in that area to compete for fans with WVU and they are on opposite ends of the state). With that said I understand the desire to see your program move forward, I wish we had a administration that had some kind of plan??? to upgrade football and basketball at EKU. Money of course drives it all.

GaSouthern
October 2nd, 2010, 12:25 PM
Just to throw out a GSU point of view, we are staying FCS unless AD Sam Baker is fired or we get an invite from C-USA or Big East which will never happen. Baker called out the Sun Belt for being weak a few years ago and burned a bridge there even if we WANTED to go to the Sun Belt it won't be an option with Baker still in office.