PDA

View Full Version : How safe is your campus???

sav eagle34
October 1st, 2010, 08:55 AM
http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/third-gsu-student-robbed-650277.html

downbythebeach
October 1st, 2010, 12:06 PM
Man those Lambuth kids are really mean

seantaylor
October 2nd, 2010, 12:11 AM
Georgia State is a ish hole. Right smack in the middle of the absolute ghetto.

Twentysix
October 2nd, 2010, 12:55 AM
Apparently alot safer than this. Occasionally someone breaks into a dorm the begining of the school year after students have gone home for the week and left a window open. And once in the past few years someone was stoned out of there minds and drove there hummer into the 911 memorial then tried to get all of the witnesses to flee the scene with him in his hummer. Other than that pretty safe. Second one wasnt really that dangerous but it was a bit comical.

superman7515
October 2nd, 2010, 07:32 AM
Just for perspective...

Atlanta:

Murder: 149 4.52 x the national average
Forcible Rape: 281 1.79 x the national average
Robbery: 3,701 3.92 x the national average
Aggravated Assault: 4,360 2.79 x the national average
(All violent crime 3.3 x the national average)
Burglary: 8,065 2.2 x the national average
Larceny or Theft: 22,931 1.79 x the national average
Car Theft: 7,235 2.8 x the national average
Arson: 165 1.29 x the national average
(All property crime 2.01 x the national average)

Fargo:

Murder: 0 0 x the national average
Forcible Rape: 41 1.24 x the national average
Robbery: 11 .06 x the national average
Aggravated Assault: 25 .08 x the national average
(All violent crime .14 x the national average)
Burglary: 335 .43 x the national average
Larceny or Theft: 1,759 .65 x the national average
Car Theft: 189 .35 x the national average
Arson: 11 .41 x the national average
(All property crime .57 x the national average)

Newark, DE:

Forcible Rape: 11 1 x the national average
Robbery: 70 1.06 x the national average
Aggravated Assault: 87 .8 x the national average
(All violent crime .93 x the national average)
Burglary: 171 .67 x the national average
Larceny or Theft: 929 1.04 x the national average
Car Theft: 86 .48 x the national average
Arson: 14 1.56 x the national average
(All property crime .89 x the national average)

Twentysix
October 2nd, 2010, 09:25 AM
Just for perspective...

Atlanta:

Murder: 149 4.52 x the national average
Forcible Rape: 281 1.79 x the national average
Robbery: 3,701 3.92 x the national average
Aggravated Assault: 4,360 2.79 x the national average
(All violent crime 3.3 x the national average)
Burglary: 8,065 2.2 x the national average
Larceny or Theft: 22,931 1.79 x the national average
Car Theft: 7,235 2.8 x the national average
Arson: 165 1.29 x the national average
(All property crime 2.01 x the national average)

Fargo:

Forcible Rape: 41 1.24 x the national average
Robbery: 11 .06 x the national average
Aggravated Assault: 25 .08 x the national average
(All violent crime .14 x the national average)
Burglary: 335 .43 x the national average
Larceny or Theft: 1,759 .65 x the national average
Car Theft: 189 .35 x the national average
Arson: 11 .41 x the national average
(All property crime .57 x the national average)

Newark, DE:

Forcible Rape: 11 1 x the national average
Robbery: 70 1.06 x the national average
Aggravated Assault: 87 .8 x the national average
(All violent crime .93 x the national average)
Burglary: 171 .67 x the national average
Larceny or Theft: 929 1.04 x the national average
Car Theft: 86 .48 x the national average
Arson: 14 1.56 x the national average
(All property crime .89 x the national average)

Oh, I see. So when the question was asked how safe is your campus, the asker only ment for people whos campus's are in the 10 or 15 largest cities in the nation right?

Just for perspective Atlanta metro 5,475,000 2000 census data. [from wiki]
Fargo metro 200,112 2000 census data.

If i had to guess i bet the fact that a little over 10% of the fargo metro being college kids has to do with the rape staistics. I betcha alot of 'rapes' are party fouls. Though im sure some are not.

superman7515
October 2nd, 2010, 11:02 AM
Considering it's based on a national average per 100,000 people, the population itself doesn't matter, just the rate at which it happens.

Twentysix
October 2nd, 2010, 08:54 PM
Considering it's based on a national average per 100,000 people, the population itself doesn't matter, just the rate at which it happens.

That rate at which that happens typically goes up drastically in large population bases. Maybe it has something to do with annonimity. Who knows.

superman7515
October 2nd, 2010, 10:55 PM
There's probably a variety of reasons. Larger cities & metro areas typically have lower performing schools, higher unemployment, larger percentages of the population under the poverty line and requiring assistance, and larger groups of non-English speaking citizens. (I'm not saying anything about race so before someone starts pounding me with negative rep, I'm just going off a study that was done in Australia years ago that used a 5 year study of people native to Australia/NZ and those moving in and said non-English speaking people who moved into an English speaking country are more apt to commit crimes and/or have crimes committed against them. It's probably the same as non-German speaking people moving to Germany or non-French speaking people moving to France.)

seantaylor
October 4th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Atlanta isn't that big. They count their metro area as big as some states. The north east cities dwarf Atlanta without counting the entire state as a metro area.

DJOM
October 4th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Campus at Princeton is very safe. Campus at Drake very safe.

Blueandwhitefightfight
October 4th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Considering Ga. State is in the smack-dab middle of the ghetto I would think that it would be one of the least safe campuses in the country.

4 out of the top 25 most dangerous neighborhoods in the US are in Atlanta (src: http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/10/04/25-most-dangerous-neighborhoods-2010/)

2 of those are right by Ga. State. The other 2 are by the Georgia Dome where they play their games.

And that's just the crime rate. You also have to contend with the homeless people that congregate at and around Grady Hospital (b/c they are nice enough to give homeless people free healthcare), also by Georgia State.

Crime is so bad that Atlanta Metro Police, State Patrol, Georgia Tech Police, and Georgia State Univ Police have to all work together to keep GT and GA St. semi-safe.

Even though I live in Statesboro, I read AJC.com every day. It seems that lately, almost once every week or two, there is a story about some sort of gun crime/homicide/rape/assault happening at Ga. St.

My current roommate actually transfered here from there for that very reason.

wr70beh
October 4th, 2010, 05:26 PM
We've had a rash of assaults on campus in the past month. Probably the same people doing it. Otherwise, it's a pretty safe campus:

http://thecollegianur.com/2010/10/04/wc-and-rc-students-attacked-10-assaults-in-four-weeks/14178/

PhoenixSupreme
October 4th, 2010, 05:34 PM
We've had a rash of assaults on campus in the past month. Probably the same people doing it. Otherwise, it's a pretty safe campus:

http://thecollegianur.com/2010/10/04/wc-and-rc-students-attacked-10-assaults-in-four-weeks/14178/

Same deal with VCU and robberies. It's not too bad near the MCV medical campus, but the main campus is dangerous to be wandering after midnight

panama
October 4th, 2010, 06:27 PM
GSU is not smack dab in middle of the ghetto. It is in downtown Atlanta. I lived downtown and I live in East Atlanta and Downtown is way safer than East Atlanta or even Norcross for that matter. Heck its not even ghetto adjacent. Once or twice a year incidents make the news involving Georgia State, Gerogia Tech or Morehouse students because it is out of the ordinary. We have tousands of Braves fans use the Georgia or Five Points MARTA rail stations to disembark and walk to Turner Field 81 times per years, 31,000 students walking the streets of camous to class not to mention that we are adjacent to the State Capitol complex with sevral thousand state employees in the area daily. yet there are hardly any incidents. Now if you went to Bankhead west og Georgia Tech or 20 blocks north and east (of GSU) to the Old Fourth Ward, yeah youre in the ghetto then.

panama
October 4th, 2010, 06:56 PM
And please dont let Georgia Southen people scare you from visiting our fair city.

And in reposnse to blueandwhitefight:

Considering Ga. State is in the smack-dab middle of the ghetto I would think that it would be one of the least safe campuses in the country. It actually is quite safe due to the fact that we have the largest campus police force in Georgia. The university and the city have made it an unspoken rule (due to conventions) to make Downtown a safe zone.

4 out of the top 25 most dangerous neighborhoods in the US are in Atlanta (src: http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/1...borhoods-2010/)

2 of those are right by Ga. State. The other 2 are by the Georgia Dome where they play their games.

Actually none are near GSU. The closest is on the SW side of the Dome and that is probably why its so dangerous. There are hardly any homes over there. The second is near Vine City MARTA Rail. Again a subway station and its parking lot is more likely to attract crime than an actual neighborhood. Of the other two one is by Turner Field (another stadium and its parking lot) and the fourth is a actual neighborhood in SW Atlanta neat Stewart Avenue er I mean Metropolitan Pkwy (Name was changed because Stewart Avenue was and is a notorious prostitution zone ;) )

And that's just the crime rate. You also have to contend with the homeless people that congregate at and around Grady Hospital (b/c they are nice enough to give homeless people free healthcare), also by Georgia State.

You got me. We have homeless people who may ask you for a dollar. Hardly the robbing crew of young thugs who jumped that student on campus.

Crime is so bad that Atlanta Metro Police, State Patrol, Georgia Tech Police, and Georgia State Univ Police have to all work together to keep GT and GA St. semi-safe.

Where do I start. There is no Atlanta Metro Police just the City of Atlanta PD. Campus police departments work together with city police. Yep. Just like in every city in America. Georgia State Patrol? Errr no. The Georgia State Patrol's policing activity inside Atlanta is reserved to protecting The Capitol Complex.

Even though I live in Statesboro, I read AJC.com every day. It seems that lately, almost once every week or two, there is a story about some sort of gun crime/homicide/rape/assault happening at Ga. St.

I have a Google News Alert set up for Georgia State and this is the first incident since the the student whi was shot who by the way was dealing drugs. So I think what is being said in this thread is overstating the issue. I am sorry your female friend felt so unsafe that she transfered but 31000 students per semester and 50,000 total per year say that she is in the minority.

MplsBison
October 4th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Atlanta isn't that big. They count their metro area as big as some states. The north east cities dwarf Atlanta without counting the entire state as a metro area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Core_Based_Statistical_Areas.png

Doesn't look a whole lot bigger than some of the other large metro areas.

Blueandwhitefightfight
October 4th, 2010, 10:15 PM
My roommate is a he, not a she.

I don't know what you consider the ghetto, maybe it is due to the fact I grew up in an affluent suburb of Augusta where golf and tennis are just as big as football. I consider it the ghetto and would not be caught ANYWHERE AROUND Ga. State after the sun goes down.

As far as saying those neighborhoods aren't anywhere near Ga. State, that's relative to what you consider "near". I consider "near" to be within walking distance (a mile or two) away. All 4 are within walking distance or a marta ride to state.

Most of the homeless will hit you up for more than a buck but do so peacefully. It doesn't always go down like that. Esp when that homeless person spent their last few bucks on drugs and/or alcohol. I've been to Atlanta enough to know that. The first time I ever saw a crackhead was in Atlanta in 5 points.

Yea, it is true that Ga. State has the biggest police force. Why do you think that is the case? Pretty obvious..

And I don't know why your Google news alert didn't pick these up for you so here:

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/gsu-student-killed-in-607513.html

http://www.ajc.com/news/suspect-arrested-in-gsu-569863.html

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/gsu-student-robbed-at-132999.html

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/bond-denied-for-suspect-440568.html

http://www.gsusignal.com/news/multiple-armed-robberies-hit-campus-community-1.2346269

ack
October 5th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Georgia Southern was actually ranked as the 18th safest campus out of 4,000 or so schools. Montana is on there too.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-09-24/the-top-25-safest-colleges/

I'm not sure if Ga State was included in the survey. They didn't include schools were a vast majority of students commute, as it's not a good comparison.

SpeedkingATL
October 5th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Not to make this an Atlanta thread, but I've lived here inside I-285 for the last 26 years an have never felt unsafe in the city. Just use some common sense. There are many places in the inner city of about every metropolitan area of large cities as well as particular areas of small cities where one simply does not go after dark. I don't hestitate to go to GSU, the Dome or Turner Field and yes there are areas within walking distance one shouldn't visit at 2AM.

I don't know the crime statistics but I feel very safe around the App State campus and Boone/Blowing Rock area both day and night.

panama
October 5th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Oookay...seems like you have Atlanta/ Big City issues. Georgia State is surrounded by office buildings downtown so I do not know where that constitutes "the ghetto". Like Speedking mentioned a lot of it is just common sense. I have lived in Atlanta since 1983 and all but 4 years of that has been intown and I have never had a problem. But like I said it seems like your issue is with big cities, Atlanta, or just big cities names Atlanta. It's pretty funny that you can see a thread title and the name of the poster (somebodyeagle usually or something southern blue and white....lol) and know immediately its a random anti GSU thread and ensuing diatribe. I am old enough to remember when GSU and Downtown actually HAD a crime issue 20 years ago. A handfull of incidents over a few months when downtown has a daytime weekday population of more than a quarter million really isnt as big a deal as youre making it. At least everyone is relating how safe or unsafe their campus is vs. the continual GSU obsession that the Eagles have. And dude, two of the stories you posted links to are regarding the same drug dealer student who got killed. Two of the others are about the student who was robbed last week. One was from 2009 and the last one is about a GSU student who was killed in his apprtment in SW Atlanta nowhere near campus. Let it go.

My roommate is a he, not a she.

I don't know what you consider the ghetto, maybe it is due to the fact I grew up in an affluent suburb of Augusta where golf and tennis are just as big as football. I consider it the ghetto and would not be caught ANYWHERE AROUND Ga. State after the sun goes down.

As far as saying those neighborhoods aren't anywhere near Ga. State, that's relative to what you consider "near". I consider "near" to be within walking distance (a mile or two) away. All 4 are within walking distance or a marta ride to state.

Most of the homeless will hit you up for more than a buck but do so peacefully. It doesn't always go down like that. Esp when that homeless person spent their last few bucks on drugs and/or alcohol. I've been to Atlanta enough to know that. The first time I ever saw a crackhead was in Atlanta in 5 points.

Yea, it is true that Ga. State has the biggest police force. Why do you think that is the case? Pretty obvious..

And I don't know why your Google news alert didn't pick these up for you so here:

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/gsu-student-killed-in-607513.html

http://www.ajc.com/news/suspect-arrested-in-gsu-569863.html

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/gsu-student-robbed-at-132999.html

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/bond-denied-for-suspect-440568.html

http://www.gsusignal.com/news/multiple-armed-robberies-hit-campus-community-1.2346269

panama
October 5th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Alsp not a good comparisom between schools in the middle of nowhere and schools in cities of 6 million.

Georgia Southern was actually ranked as the 18th safest campus out of 4,000 or so schools. Montana is on there too.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-09-24/the-top-25-safest-colleges/

I'm not sure if Ga State was included in the survey. They didn't include schools were a vast majority of students commute, as it's not a good comparison.

superman7515
October 5th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Since this has turned into a Georgia State thread.... Doesn't seem that bad to me. As reported by Georgia State:

Criminal Offenses - On campus Total occurrences On campus
Criminal offense 2006 2007 2008
a. Murder/Non-negligent manslaughter 0 0 0
b. Negligent manslaughter 0 0 0
c. Sex offenses - Forcible 1 2 1
d. Sex offenses - Non-forcible (Include only incest and statutory rape) 0 0 0
e. Robbery 3 9 2
f. Aggravated assault 1 4 2
g. Burglary 13 12 1
h. Motor vehicle theft 3 2 4
i. Arson 0 0 1

Criminal Offenses - On-campus Student Housing Facilities Total occurrences in On-Campus Student Housing Facilities
c. Sex offenses - Forcible 0 1 1
e. Robbery 1 0 0
f. Aggravated assault 0 3 1
g. Burglary 0 0 0
h. Motor vehicle theft 2 1 0
i. Arson 0 0 0

Criminal Offenses - Noncampus Total occurrences in or on Noncampus buildings or properties
c. Sex offenses - Forcible 1 2 0
d. Sex offenses - Non-Forcible (Include only incest and statutory rape) 0 0 0
e. Robbery 4 3 4
f. Aggravated assault 1 1 2
g. Burglary 1 0 0
h. Motor vehicle theft 0 0 0
i. Arson 0 0 0

Criminal Offenses - Public Property Total occurrences on Public Property
c. Sex offenses - Forcible 1 1 1
e. Robbery 9 9 8
f. Aggravated assault 2 2 8
g. Burglary 0 5 0
h. Motor vehicle theft 11 10 16
i. Arson 0 0 0

superman7515
October 5th, 2010, 04:35 PM
And since everyone wanted to compare Atlanta & Boone, App State is actually the less safe of the two on campus but Boone is clearly safer for student related off campus crime...

Criminal offense 2007 2008 2009
c. Sex offenses - Forcible 2 4 5
d. Sex offenses - Non-forcible 0 0 0
e. Robbery 1 1 0
f. Aggravated assault 1 0 0
g. Burglary 24 18 22
h. Motor vehicle theft 1 0 2
i. Arson 3 0 0

Criminal Offenses - On-campus Student Housing Facilities Total occurrences in On-Campus Student Housing Facilities
c. Sex offenses - Forcible 1 1 4
e. Robbery 0 0 0
f. Aggravated assault 0 0 0
g. Burglary 20 15 11
i. Arson 0 0 0

Criminal Offenses - Noncampus Total occurrences in or on Noncampus buildings or properties
c. Sex offenses - Forcible 0 0 0
d. Sex offenses - Non-Forcible 0 0 0
e. Robbery 0 0 0
f. Aggravated assault 0 0 0
g. Burglary 0 0 1
i. Arson 0 0 0

e. Robbery 0 0 0
f. Aggravated assault 1 1 0
g. Burglary 0 0 0
h. Motor vehicle theft 1 0 1
i. Arson 0 0 0

superman7515
October 5th, 2010, 04:40 PM
And so as not to seem biased, Delaware is actually the worst of the three....

c. Sex offenses - Forcible 5 3 2
e. Robbery 5 8 3
f. Aggravated assault 3 4 2
g. Burglary 36 32 25
h. Motor vehicle theft 0 2 5
i. Arson 0 1 2

c. Sex offenses - Forcible 4 3 1
e. Robbery 0 2 0
f. Aggravated assault 0 1 2
g. Burglary 26 17 17
i. Arson 0 1 0

c. Sex offenses - Forcible 0 0 0
d. Sex offenses - Non-Forcible 0 0 0
e. Robbery 1 0 0
f. Aggravated assault 1 0 0
g. Burglary 0 0 3
i. Arson 0 0 0

e. Robbery 1 4 6
f. Aggravated assault 3 4 4
g. Burglary 0 0 0
h. Motor vehicle theft 0 3 3
i. Arson 0 0 0

(Delaware was actually rated pretty badly by Reader's Digest in a review done back in 2008 after the Northern Illinois shooting)

panama
October 5th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Love the Avatar Pic superman

superman7515
October 5th, 2010, 04:51 PM
What can I say... I'm Perfect.

panama
October 5th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Ha!

seantaylor
October 5th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Funny that bigger cities like New York, DC, Philly, Houston, and LA don't have multiples on that list, let a lone 4.

GunsAndGuitars
October 5th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I don't know the crime statistics but I feel very safe around the App State campus and Boone/Blowing Rock area both day and night.

It's too cold in the High Country to do much. I was usually the only person around that was dumb enough to be out at 3 am walking. That said, there was the guy that would go around pulling girls' pants down for a while, and there was the drug related murder where the guy was shot and then burned in a car a few years ago and some guy got stabbed once, but he lived. Sometimes the hippies would get a little rowdy in the drum circles, I don't know of any other incidences in Boone during my 5 years there.

DaBigBlue
October 5th, 2010, 06:51 PM
You might try this site. I would imagine inter city schools would be worst, but then something happens like at VaTech and it makes you wonder.

http://ucrime.com/

panama
October 5th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Atlanta's crime rate has always been deceptive because its based on the rate per the population in the city limits (550,000). For various historical sociological and political reasons Atlanta has the largest ratio of metro population to city limit population of any major city. The usual ratio is 2:1 to 4:1. Atlanta's is over 10:1. The problem with that is that the daytime population is about 2 million to 2.5 million. So that isnt surprising. We have been in the top 3 in murders for as long as I have lived here 1983 because the same issue. Like I said in a prior post, 3 of those 4 are not even actual neighborhoods but rather a transit station and two stadiums. At any rate the whole point of this thread was "How Safe Is Your Campus" and the numbers superman posted prove that we do not have a dangerous campus.

Funny that bigger cities like New York, DC, Philly, Houston, and LA don't have multiples on that list, let a lone 4.

Saint3333
October 5th, 2010, 08:46 PM
What's going on with all the private schools on the most dangerous listing. First thought is stealing from the rich to pay for school?

ack
October 5th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Alsp not a good comparisom between schools in the middle of nowhere and schools in cities of 6 million.

I don't think that makes a comparison unwarranted. The live-on/commuter divide was because there's a major difference in how long your students and staff are on campus. You don't have the same opportunities for crime. If a campus has more or less of a crime rate than compared schools and they spend a similar amount of time, then I'd think it's fair to say it's more or less dangerous, regardless of how many people are around the campus.

GoAgs72
October 6th, 2010, 01:15 AM
I think Davis, CA is very safe unless you're a bicycle.