PDA

View Full Version : 'Best Class Ever' comments

colgate13
February 2nd, 2006, 07:26 AM
Now that the signing is mostly done, it's time for the spin to begin!

Let's get a listing together of I-AA 'best class ever' comments in papers. You know you've seen them. I think I just read the SCSU claim to that fact. I think it might be funny to see them all in one place.

Here is the SCSU claim:

“First, I’d like to congratulate the coaches on doing a really great job (in recruiting),” Pough said. “They really did a good job in getting outstanding commitments both in-state and out-of-state. This is a very talented group and may be our best signing class yet.

(no offense to SCSU, it's just I saw the recent post and it came to me. I'll certainly post anything that claims Colgate is such. :) It's all in good fun!)

bosshogg
February 2nd, 2006, 07:36 AM
I think that most coaches will say that this is "their best class" but for SCSU, it really may be.

Fordham
February 2nd, 2006, 07:39 AM
I think that most coaches will say that this is "their best class" but for SCSU, it really may be.

http://homokaasu.org/sect/images/53963.jpg

;)

th0m
February 2nd, 2006, 07:53 AM
Ditto for JMU.

Pard94
February 2nd, 2006, 07:58 AM
This is clearly Lafayette's best class ever...for this year.

thirdgendin
February 2nd, 2006, 07:59 AM
Recruiting is the most subjective part of college athletics and that's the main reason I never get too hyped up about it. I think it's hillarious how people start talking smack about one's recruiting class over another, as if some middle-aged man really knows how these players will pan out.

Fordham
February 2nd, 2006, 08:07 AM
Recruiting is the most subjective part of college athletics and that's the main reason I never get too hyped up about it. I think it's hillarious how people start talking smack about one's recruiting class over another, as if some middle-aged man really knows how these players will pan out.
wow, someone di'nt have a good recruiting class this year ...

NDSU_grad
February 2nd, 2006, 08:20 AM
Not too much hyperbole out the of NDSU camp, although the coaching staff was certainly excited about the Colvin kid from Illinois. Here's the link from the Fargo Forum.
LINK (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=116293&section=Sports)

UNHknowledge
February 2nd, 2006, 08:26 AM

Very, very true...recruiting is a funny game and it is very hit or miss. Coach Mac's staff has been unbelievable at finding hidden talent in the last 5 years. I can't imagine many schools having better walk on stories than UNH i.e. David Ball and George Peterson from the state of Vermont. But, at the same time there has been kids that have been on full scholarship that couldn't start on many D3 teams. So...recruiting (especially I-AA) is definitly something that you can't get overhyped about unless you get a kid that's ranked very high on Rivals and even then its not even close to a sure thing. Fortunately UNH inked a big name QB from Cali this year (14th ranked QB in the country by Rivals). He has a good chance of coming in and being Ricky's backup right away.

thirdgendin
February 2nd, 2006, 08:42 AM

Nah, according to Coach Lamb, "We also signed one player at virtually every other area, so overall we feel like we met our goals."

;)

Cocky
February 2nd, 2006, 08:56 AM
We also had our "best class ever" which must be better than last year because it was the benchmark (it was the "best class ever" also).

blukeys
February 2nd, 2006, 09:12 AM
.... But, at the same time there has been kids that have been on full scholarship that couldn't start on many D3 teams. So...recruiting (especially I-AA) is definitly something that you can't get overhyped about unless you get a kid that's ranked very high on Rivals and even then its not even close to a sure thing......

Agree with all of the above.
One can't judge a class until they hit the field and play. Omar Cuff had no Rivals rating which shows that a Rivals rating isn't the be all end all of recruiting knowledge.

WMTribe90
February 2nd, 2006, 09:29 AM
Very, very true...recruiting is a funny game and it is very hit or miss. Coach Mac's staff has been unbelievable at finding hidden talent in the last 5 years. I can't imagine many schools having better walk on stories than UNH i.e. David Ball and George Peterson from the state of Vermont. But, at the same time there has been kids that have been on full scholarship that couldn't start on many D3 teams.

UNH,

WM and Laycock really concentrate on bringing in and developing walk-on players. WM awards multiple scholarships each srping to former walk-ons. WM has a lengthy list of former walk-on team captains and All-Conference selections. There was even a walk-on named Campbell that won some big award a little while back :)

Its just another reason to love IAA football. Because of the 63 schollie limit, these walk-ons have a real shot at contributing and working their way into playing time. My brother was a walk-on at WM. He waited and worked his way through three seasons on the practice squad and a knee reconstruction before finally getting a chance mid-way through his fourth year when the starting MLB went down. He started the rest of that season. His fifth year he led the team in tackles, sacks, forced fumbles and fumble recoveries. WM was the only IAA school to seriously recruit him out of HS, when he was a 185 pound DT.

Coastal89
February 2nd, 2006, 09:47 AM
UNH,

WM and Laycock really concentrate on bringing in and developing walk-on players. WM awards multiple scholarships each srping to former walk-ons. WM has a lengthy list of former walk-on team captains and All-Conference selections. There was even a walk-on named Campbell that won some big award a little while back :)

Its just another reason to love IAA football. Because of the 63 schollie limit, these walk-ons have a real shot at contributing and working their way into playing time. My brother was a walk-on at WM. He waited and worked his way through three seasons on the practice squad and a knee reconstruction before finally getting a chance mid-way through his fourth year when the starting MLB went down. He started the rest of that season. His fifth year he led the team in tackles, sacks, forced fumbles and fumble recoveries. WM was the only IAA school to seriously recruit him out of HS, when he was a 185 pound DT.

Coastal also has a number of walk-ons. Last spring they held walk-on tryouts and had over 70 kids turn out for 20 open spots on the scout team.

This year, 1 day after signing day, they have a list he HS players that plan to attend Coastal and walk-on. The main reason given is that they just want to have a chance to prove what they can do. They see that CCU will have 35 graduating seniors next year and feel that this is the place to get some PT in thge near future.

LBPop
February 2nd, 2006, 11:24 AM
I think I can safely speak for Coach Kelly and say that this is his best class ever as a head coach anywhere. ;)

Of course, I think Georgetown's best recruiting class ever was in 2004. :D

UNHknowledge
February 2nd, 2006, 12:06 PM
UNH,

There was even a walk-on named Campbell that won some big award a little while back :)

That's awesome...i didn't know Lang was a walk on. Laycock is a great coach too...he always has answers to UNH on both sides of the ball.

What is Campbell up to now...is he on any current rosters?
Whether he is playing or not he will be successful because he excelled in the classroom as well.

Pard4Life
February 2nd, 2006, 12:11 PM
This is clearly Lafayette's best class ever...for this year.

Yeah I doubt any other sport is going to match football's talent this year..

..but, unless the facts prove otherwise, 2006 still takes the cake.

mineral griz
February 2nd, 2006, 12:19 PM
Many people on EGriz say this is U of M best class.......also heard that about last year's class. :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped:

Pard4Life
February 2nd, 2006, 12:51 PM
"We have verbal committmetns from a few more quality players. I think when all is said and done, this will be the most outstanding class we've ever attracted." -HC Kevin Callahan.

In the case of Monmouth University, I think this is true.. the NEC awarded scholarships this winter, 30 over four years.. check out post 109 in the 'committs' thread for Monmouth's players.

WMTribe90
February 2nd, 2006, 02:06 PM
Whether he is playing or not he will be successful because he excelled in the classroom as well.

Campbell and former WM WR standout Rish Musinski will be teaming up for the Berlin Thunder in NFL Europe this summer. Campbell has been allocated by the Browns and Musinski by the Pats.

This is just what Campbell and Musinski needed and I predict both will at least make their respective practice squads next fall.

grizband
February 2nd, 2006, 02:20 PM
Many people on EGriz say this is U of M best class.......also heard that about last year's class. :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped:
And the 2003 class. Not suprisingly though, I don't remember hearing this about the 2002 class...

OL FU
February 2nd, 2006, 02:24 PM

We had ours last year and got what we needed this year :p :)

Top Classes (High School Recruits) 2005

1. Furman - There is no instant impact transfer like last year’s Ingle Martin signing, but if the Paladins’ players live up to their billing more success should be in store in Greenville. Sorrells is the crown jewel, but keep an eye on center Will Landers, safety Thomas Twitty and QB/WR R.J. Webb.

2. James Madison - To the victor goes the spoils. The Dukes bring in a deep and athletic class of 25 players, headlined by linebacker Trae Kenney, defensive back/running back Wolfver Jean-Pierre and wide receiver/defensive back Tommie Lawrence, among others.

3. Montana - The Grizzlies picked up two transfers, but more importantly signed a strong freshman class. Running back Thomas Brooks-Fletcher, defensive lineman Austin Mullins and Missoula twins Jace and Ty Palmer are part of the core group.

4. Northwestern State - Santos has the tools for future stardom, and could have a solid target in wide receiver Shayne McGee. Tailback Patrick Earl and linebacker Isaiah Greenhouse are solid, and Demons’ fans hope the kicking woes will go away with all-state honoree Robert Weeks.

5. Richmond - Head coach Dave Clawson could have the Spiders on the right track in the A-10 with a strong class that includes two quarterbacks (Levi Brown and Eric Ward), tight end William Bischoff and running back Justin Forte.

SochorField
February 2nd, 2006, 03:56 PM
UC Davis would for sure be in the top ten.

13 players signed yesterday.
Greg DENHAM (QB, 6-3, 205, Auburn, Calif. Placer HS)
Joe TROMBETTA (RB, 6-0, 200, Petaluma, Calif. Casa Grande HS)
P.J. VALLIER (RB, 5-10, 20,5 Mission Viejo, Calif. Trabuco Hills HS)
Sean CREADICK (WR, 6-1, 200, Camarillo, Calif./ Adolfo Camarillo HS)
Tom McCONNELL (DE, 6-5, 210, Danville, Calif. De La Salle HS)
Dozie AMAJOYI ( LB, 6-0, 215, San Bernardino, Calif./Aquinas HS)

All of these guys were recruited by Pac-10 and WAC schools. Watch for Denham, he is going to be a great one when Jon Grant graduates. All these guys are terrific students, Dozie Amajoyi has a 4.0 GPA. He chose UCD over Colorado State and Utah State.

Joe Trombetta was offered a full ride to Boise State.
Greg Denham was chased by Cal and Washington.
McConnell was offered a ride to Montana, and offered perferred walk-on status at Cal and Stanford.
Sean Creadick was recruited by Clemson, Arizona, and Washington.

bigbluetiger
February 2nd, 2006, 03:58 PM
TSU had it's best recruiting class in a long time. However, when you have an #1 overall NFL draft pick (Ed Jones) and two HOF candidates (Claude Humphrey & Richard Dent) as alumnus it hard to think that any of today's kids will ever come close.

UNHknowledge
February 2nd, 2006, 09:49 PM
We had ours last year and got what we needed this year :p :)

Top Classes (High School Recruits) 2005

1. Furman - There is no instant impact transfer like last year’s Ingle Martin signing, but if the Paladins’ players live up to their billing more success should be in store in Greenville. Sorrells is the crown jewel, but keep an eye on center Will Landers, safety Thomas Twitty and QB/WR R.J. Webb.

2. James Madison - To the victor goes the spoils. The Dukes bring in a deep and athletic class of 25 players, headlined by linebacker Trae Kenney, defensive back/running back Wolfver Jean-Pierre and wide receiver/defensive back Tommie Lawrence, among others.

3. Montana - The Grizzlies picked up two transfers, but more importantly signed a strong freshman class. Running back Thomas Brooks-Fletcher, defensive lineman Austin Mullins and Missoula twins Jace and Ty Palmer are part of the core group.

4. Northwestern State - Santos has the tools for future stardom, and could have a solid target in wide receiver Shayne McGee. Tailback Patrick Earl and linebacker Isaiah Greenhouse are solid, and Demons’ fans hope the kicking woes will go away with all-state honoree Robert Weeks.

5. Richmond - Head coach Dave Clawson could have the Spiders on the right track in the A-10 with a strong class that includes two quarterbacks (Levi Brown and Eric Ward), tight end William Bischoff and running back Justin Forte.

I have to say this list is a little southern biased. All of those are very strong classes but I'd have to give Montana the #1 spot and I'm sure that there will be atleast 1 team from the A10 north with a better class than Richmond's when it's all said and done.

youwouldno
February 2nd, 2006, 10:11 PM
That's from last year. I think it was pretty accurate.

This year Furman only had 12 spots, but added some top talent. Very athletic class, from the O-linemen to CBs.

Tribe4SF
February 2nd, 2006, 10:43 PM
Fortunately UNH inked a big name QB from Cali this year (14th ranked QB in the country by Rivals). He has a good chance of coming in and being Ricky's backup right away.

Hate to be the first to call out the spin, but if you're talking about R.J. Toman, he's an unranked Rivals 2star. The ranking was on Rivals Preseason West QBs, not nationally. He's not even listed among Cali QBs on iNsider, let alone ranked. He's a fine prospect, but not a top QB recruit.

Mr. C
February 2nd, 2006, 11:38 PM
That's awesome...i didn't know Lang was a walk on. Laycock is a great coach too...he always has answers to UNH on both sides of the ball.

Campbell actually turned down some schollie offers to walk on at W&M, which makes the story even better.

Appalachian State has had a great walk-on program since Jerry Moore has been around. The poster boy for the walk-on program was cornerback Matt Stevens, who developed into an All-American and played eight years in the NFL, winning a Super Bowl ring with the New England Patriots. Two members of Moore's current staff, former QB Scott Satterfield and OLine coach Shawn Elliott were also walk-ons. Both developed into All-SoCon peformers at QB and DE on the 1995 team that won 12 straight games. Stevens reportedly is going to join the staff next year, giving ASU three former walk-ons as coaches.

UNHknowledge
February 3rd, 2006, 07:39 AM
Hate to be the first to call out the spin, but if you're talking about R.J. Toman, he's an unranked Rivals 2star. The ranking was on Rivals Preseason West QBs, not nationally. He's not even listed among Cali QBs on iNsider, let alone ranked. He's a fine prospect, but not a top QB recruit.

That's unfortunate but I'm not expecting the next Ricky Santos or even the next Mike Granieri out of him. As long as he can provide us with a solid #2 at the QB spot then I'll be satisfied. We also inked the Cosgrove kid...hoping at least one of them can be a young stud because as of now, if Santos goes down the ship WILL sink.

dwtime
February 3rd, 2006, 10:18 AM

Hey tribe, no offense but you need to look into the facts a bit more. This Toman kid was the backup to the #1 rated QB in the country in most scouting reports, Mark Sanchez (who went to USC), in 2004. So you have a kid that has only one season to wow the college scouts, top div 1-A schools are going to be hard pressed to give up a QB slot in those instances. Toman's team was #3 in California, he completed 107 of 166 attempts for 1804 yards, 24 TD's 5 INTs in one of the top prep leagues in the country. Sure he wasn't ranked because he didn't have 3 or 4 years of stats to throw out there but IMO a great find for the Cats.