PDA

View Full Version : I nominate Portland State for Transfer U

Ronbo
February 2nd, 2006, 12:45 AM
15 Transfers. Not saying it's a bad thing or good thing. Looks like they needed immediate help in a lot of areas.

JUNIOR COLLEGE
Player Pos. Ht. Wt. Exp. Hometown (High School/Previous School)
Chris Fultcher TE 6-4 245 Jr. Santa Clara, Calif. (Wilcox HS/Foothill JC)
Doniel Galloway DE 6-2 255 Jr. Sacramento, Calif. (Florin HS/CC of San Francisco)
Andrew Havili* OL 6-3 280 Jr. San Bruno, Calif. (Burlingame HS/College
Dan Kuykendall* DE 6-4 260 Jr. Long Beach, Calif. (Millikan HS/Cerritos JC)
Landon Laurasaitis OL 6-3 280 Jr. Hillsborough, Calif. (San Mateo HS/College
KJ McCrae LB 6-1 225 Jr. Keizer, Ore. (McNary HS/Santa Rosa JC)
Kevin McGlothen* TE 6-4 255 Jr. Berkeley, Calif. (Berkeley HS/CC of San Francisco)
Danny Morales*, QB 5-11 195 Jr. La Habra, Calif. (La Habra HS/Santa Ana
Damion Porter* S 6-0 195 Jr. Long Beach, Calif. (Lakewood HS/Long Beach
Dave Ronning* LB 6-2 230 Jr Woodinville, Wash. (Woodinville HS/Orange

FOUR-YEAR TRANSFERS
Olaniyi Sobomehin* FB 6-1 230 Jr. Portland, Ore. (Cleveland HS/Oregon State)
Tremayne Kirkland* WR 5-11 165 Sr. Sacramento, Calif. (Hiram Johnson HS/UNLV)
MuAmmar Ali* RB 5-8 190 Sr. Vacaville, Calif. (Wood HS/New Mexico State)
Dave Howell* DL 6-4 295 Jr. Royal Palm Beach, Fla. (Royal Palm Beach HS/Miami (FL))
Brian Truelove* DT 6-2 280 Fr. Snellville, Ga. (Brookwood HS/Oregon)

JALMOND
February 2nd, 2006, 01:08 AM
Need a lot of help, mainly offensively. We do get a few transfers, mainly from those who left Portland to try to play elsewhere, then return home, and also get a lot from Walsh's connections with the JUCO California league (he coached there before PSU).

nlwwln
February 2nd, 2006, 06:28 AM
im not sure what to make of all the transfers. I guess it has alot to do with the coaching and how they bring those players along into the program. You cant deny that bringing in guys from 1A schools sure looks good on paper but you can never be sure what kind of contribution they will make. Portland State sure looks like they brought a heap of transfers in so I guess that will make for an older more experienced team. I guess only time will tell to see just how beneficial these transfers really will be

UNHknowledge
February 2nd, 2006, 09:11 AM
I'm not a big fan of transfers. 1 or 2 here or there to suit an immediate need in a program is fine but I don't think its a good idea to bring in a load of transfers. A lot of guys transfer from I-A becuase they couldnt cut the mustard, discipline problems, academic problems, or just shouldn't have been I-A players in the first place. It's also important for kids to develop in a program in a 5 year system. Coaches should really be careful when bringing kids in from JUCO's and I-A schools. Hopefully Portland St. evaluated these guys thouroughly and they pan out for them. Best of Luck to Portland.

DaGriz
February 2nd, 2006, 12:22 PM
Coaches should really be careful when bringing kids in from JUCO's and I-A schools.

I haven't seen a ton of bad things about JUCO transfers. We had Justin Green at RB, now with the Balt. Ravens. He was great. Aaron Rodgers at Cal, Jason Seahorn, Larry Allen, tight end at Cal are a few JUCO transfers off the top of my head that went on to bigger and better things. Some take a while to mature, come from small schools and don't get big offers or just don't have the grades and a JUCO gives them a chance to get things squared away.

catbob
February 2nd, 2006, 12:45 PM
Given a choice, I'd take a JUCO any day over a IA dropdown. A JUCO is a guy who probably didn't get a shot somewhere, and has earned his chance to move up a level. A IA guy usually carries some sort of baggage, or is a guy that just couldn't cut it at a IA school.

MSU has had some sucess with JUCOS - Gatewood, Guinn, Domineck to name a few.

Spider1976
February 2nd, 2006, 03:53 PM
I'd say MSU did OK with Junior Adams several seasons ago. And no one brought more I-A baggage with him than Junior.

CatFan22
February 2nd, 2006, 03:56 PM
I'd say MSU did OK with Junior Adams several seasons ago. And no one brought more I-A baggage with him than Junior.

I think Joey Thomas had quite a bit of baggage as well. He and Junior are at the top of the baggage list for MSU dropdowns.

UNHknowledge
February 2nd, 2006, 09:56 PM
I haven't seen a ton of bad things about JUCO transfers. We had Justin Green at RB, now with the Balt. Ravens. He was great. Aaron Rodgers at Cal, Jason Seahorn, Larry Allen, tight end at Cal are a few JUCO transfers off the top of my head that went on to bigger and better things. Some take a while to mature, come from small schools and don't get big offers or just don't have the grades and a JUCO gives them a chance to get things squared away.

I agree on JUCO's over I-A dropdowns, but like I said "Coaches should be careful when picking those guys". I'm not saying that they should totally stay away from it. UNH has had some success with both options but more of a lack of success with their I-A/JUCO transfers. Montana obviously did right by grabbing Green and it looks like they've got 3 more fine I-A transfers coming in, but if I were Portland St. I would be careful bringing in a heap of them.

DaGriz
February 2nd, 2006, 10:38 PM
I agree on JUCO's over I-A dropdowns, but like I said "Coaches should be careful when picking those guys". I'm not saying that they should totally stay away from it. UNH has had some success with both options but more of a lack of success with their I-A/JUCO transfers. Montana obviously did right by grabbing Green and it looks like they've got 3 more fine I-A transfers coming in, but if I were Portland St. I would be careful bringing in a heap of them.

4 I-A transfers. Had a U of AZ CB transfer at the last minute.

leatherneck177
February 3rd, 2006, 10:46 AM
I was just excited that WIU got Patrick Stoudamire out of the state. I thought Portland State had him wrapped up, but apparently his trip to Macomb sealed the deal.

grizband
February 3rd, 2006, 04:13 PM
Montana was in the running with him for awhile. I'm not sure why things broke down, but he sounded like he would have been good.

kalm
February 4th, 2006, 11:51 AM
For that matter, you can nominate the Big Sky for transfer conference.

GOKATS
February 4th, 2006, 05:10 PM
For that matter, you can nominate the Big Sky for transfer conference.

For some of us, we don't have any choice. Limited number of I-AA qualified athletes in a state (3rd largest in the nation not including Alaska) with less than a million people. It's a 'Cat fight between MSU and UM to get the few I-AA athletes in state every year, but both schools have to go out of state to be competitive. You do the best you can to recruit HS out of state, but thru attrition always end up with a need to fill some gaps. JC's and I-A dropdowns are the only answer.

I do have to wonder, however, why PSU has so many transfers. Certainly no way to have any continuity or loyalty in the program. I can't believe they had that many holes to fill (they beat us last fall which probably cost us the BSC title). We do have them at home this year, so I hope they can make all those "transfers" gel into a team.

Chi Panther
February 5th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Need a lot of help, mainly offensively. We do get a few transfers, mainly from those who left Portland to try to play elsewhere, then return home, and also get a lot from Walsh's connections with the JUCO California league (he coached there before PSU).

I think its great for PSU to be accepting the kids who tried to play somewhere else, but decided it wasn't a good fit, and wanted to come back home.

Ronbo
February 5th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Hold on pardner. Come back home to play? Wish that was true.

Portland transfers in 2006:

11 players from California.
1 player from Washington
1 player from Florida
1 player from Georgia

1 player from Portland, Oregon.

JALMOND
February 5th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Hold on pardner. Come back home to play? Wish that was true.

Portland transfers in 2006:

11 players from California.
1 player from Washington
1 player from Florida
1 player from Georgia

1 player from Portland, Oregon.

That list is only a partial list. We have transfers from Tigard, Keizer, Beaverton and Gresham. Last few years we had players returning "home" (Aloha, Hillsboro, Salem, Vancouver and Beaverton) after playing I-A.

As for the CA JUCO players, Walsh coached in the CA JUCO league before he coached at Portland State and we get a lot of contacts that way. Really not that difficult to sell an urban university setting to an urban player.

kalm
February 6th, 2006, 12:22 AM
[QUOTE=GOKATS]For some of us, we don't have any choice. Limited number of I-AA qualified athletes in a state (3rd largest in the nation not including Alaska) with less than a million people. It's a 'Cat fight between MSU and UM to get the few I-AA athletes in state every year, but both schools have to go out of state to be competitive. You do the best you can to recruit HS out of state, but thru attrition always end up with a need to fill some gaps. JC's and I-A dropdowns are the only answer.

So?

Go recruit from Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Wyoming etc. Your state may only have a population of one million, but Washington, Idaho, and Oregon each have 3 D-I schools, and Utah has five.

That being said, we're still able to find the "under the radar" athletes in-state to be competitive + a few choice out of state recruits. Drop downs certainly are not the only answer!

NSUDemon98
February 6th, 2006, 08:27 AM
15 Transfers. Not saying it's a bad thing or good thing. Looks like they needed immediate help in a lot of areas.

JUNIOR COLLEGE
Chris Fultcher TE 6-4 245 Jr. Santa Clara, Calif. (Wilcox HS/Foothill JC)
Doniel Galloway DE 6-2 255 Jr. Sacramento, Calif. (Florin HS/CC of San Francisco)
Andrew Havili* OL 6-3 280 Jr. San Bruno, Calif. (Burlingame HS/College
Dan Kuykendall* DE 6-4 260 Jr. Long Beach, Calif. (Millikan HS/Cerritos JC)
Landon Laurasaitis OL 6-3 280 Jr. Hillsborough, Calif. (San Mateo HS/College
KJ McCrae LB 6-1 225 Jr. Keizer, Ore. (McNary HS/Santa Rosa JC)
Kevin McGlothen* TE 6-4 255 Jr. Berkeley, Calif. (Berkeley HS/CC of San Francisco)
Danny Morales*, QB 5-11 195 Jr. La Habra, Calif. (La Habra HS/Santa Ana
Damion Porter* S 6-0 195 Jr. Long Beach, Calif. (Lakewood HS/Long Beach
Dave Ronning* LB 6-2 230 Jr Woodinville, Wash. (Woodinville HS/Orange

FOUR-YEAR TRANSFERS
Olaniyi Sobomehin* FB 6-1 230 Jr. Portland, Ore. (Cleveland HS/Oregon State)
Tremayne Kirkland* WR 5-11 165 Sr. Sacramento, Calif. (Hiram Johnson HS/UNLV)
MuAmmar Ali* RB 5-8 190 Sr. Vacaville, Calif. (Wood HS/New Mexico State)
Dave Howell* DL 6-4 295 Jr. Royal Palm Beach, Fla. (Royal Palm Beach HS/Miami (FL))
Brian Truelove* DT 6-2 280 Fr. Snellville, Ga. (Brookwood HS/Oregon)

I nominate the Bobcats of San Marcos. These are just the ones that are there now, not counting the ones who will show up next fall or this usmmer:

*Kyle Bronson, PK, 6-0, 190, So./TR, Tampa, Fla./Wharton HS/South Florida
*Jake Brown, WR, 6-0, 180, Fr./TR, Ennis, Texas/Ennis/Texas Tech
*Rick Culbert, WR, 6-0, 180, So./TR, Vidor, Texas/Vidor HS/Arkansas
*Julian Humble, DL, 6-4, 250, Jr./TR, San Antonio, Texas/Judson HS/Blinn JC
*Andrew Ireland, PK, 5-8, 194, So./TR, Cedar Hill, Texas/Cedar Hill HS/Baylor
*Cameron Luke, WR, 6-2, 205, So./TR, Klein, Texas/Edison HS/Utah State
*David Ramirez, QB, 6-2, 202, Fr./TR, Red Oak, Texas/Grace Prep/Purdue
*Mark Washington, DL, 6-3, 250, Jr./TR, Long Beach, Calif./Arizona St.
*Jamal Williams, RB, 5-11, 195, Jr./TR, Rockdale, Texas/Rockdale HS/Reedley College