PDA

View Full Version : UTSA - Orange turf in Alamodome

MaximumBobcat
September 30th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I don't know where this picture originated from...someone who knows can post where.

The UTSA Athletic Department has not put out any press about this as far as I know, so it looks to be the brainchild of a fan perhaps.

But goddang, this is the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs348.ash2/62830_150899614949044_100000870183638_240054_19202 06_n.jpg

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Has to be fan-inspired...

There's too much orange involved there, that I just do not think it would work out well for UTSA and doubt the NCAA would approve it. Even the sidelines are tougher to make out.

Check out EWU for what I mean...

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/3410508.bin?size=620x400

CropDuster
September 30th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I wish the NCAA would put a stop to this. It's getting a bit ridiculous IMO.

JSU02
September 30th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Looks like a big ol' field of dirt to me...

UNIFanSince1983
September 30th, 2010, 01:57 PM
That appears to be a photoshop job. Just look at the far sideline wall, and the two tables on the near sideline. That stuff shouldn't be orange, but it is. If they were to do that I would hope it would be done better than the picture...

BobcatSymphony
September 30th, 2010, 01:58 PM
It would likely be done to coincide with all the highway construction that goes on in SA.

On topic though, the orange just doesn't work so well. Probaby because it isn't a primary color. It actually looks like someone tried their hand at paint or PS bit didn't get the color transparency right to correctly display any field markings. Only reason it works at EWU and BSU is they have defined outlines of sidelines and such.

MasonJar
September 30th, 2010, 02:05 PM
That appears to be a photoshop job. Just look at the far sideline wall, and the two tables on the near sideline. That stuff shouldn't be orange, but it is. If they were to do that I would hope it would be done better than the picture...

Bingo. PhotoShop...

darell1976
September 30th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Good thing our colors are green and white. I hear the Fargodome is having yellow turf for NDSU. Kinda tough to see penalty flags.xlolx

jmufan999
September 30th, 2010, 02:29 PM
i feel like i have a seizure every time i see that red turf, i'm not kidding. it literally hurts my face to look at it. not trying to be mean, it just does.

houtexan
October 1st, 2010, 09:39 AM
i feel like i have a seizure every time i see that red turf, i'm not kidding. it literally hurts my face to look at it. not trying to be mean, it just does.
Agree... If you saw the ESPN Game Day segment last weekend, you could barely see the Eastern Washington guys in their home uniforms. The only color other than green that I could probably handle would be Black. At least the markers and penalty flags would be visible...maybe not the ball. :)

dirty bird
October 1st, 2010, 10:35 AM
Bingo. PhotoShop...

It's definitely a fake. The Alamodome is owned by the City of San Antonio, and only they can change the color of the turf. The Dallas Cowboys hold training camp during the summers, and they just paid for a new turf last year. I doubt Jerry would like to practice on anything other than green turf.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Alamodome_officials_tout_new_turf.html

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Update...

Always game for attention, UTSA promotions ace Jim Goodman said Wednesday, "We can neither confirm nor deny that we would have an orange field."

Goodman said the decision isn't up to him. But considering this is a guy who once fastened a stuffed armadillo to the chassis of a remote control car during his gig with the Spurs in the early 80s, he'd probably do this in a heartbeat.

Then there's athletic director Lynn Hickey, whose reaction was somewhere between a retch and a gag when I asked her about it a couple of weeks ago. I could be paraphrasing here, but I'm pretty sure her her exact quote was, "Oh, God."

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/utsa/2010/10/the-orange-field.html

jmufan999
October 13th, 2010, 10:00 PM
god i hope someone puts a stop to this. i liked it when it was just boise state... it was different. unique. i realize UTSA hasn't said they will do this, but i don't think EWU will be the last or even most extreme example. some team with brown as their color will come out with a field that matches the color of the football... and all brown jerseys/helmet to boot. you won't be able to see a friggin' thing on TV. i don't know how the NCAA would be able to "outlaw" this, i doubt they could... but i have a feeling it's going to get out of hand, especially if EWU goes on a boise-like home winning streak.

houtexan
October 14th, 2010, 06:42 AM
god i hope someone puts a stop to this. i liked it when it was just boise state... it was different. unique. i realize UTSA hasn't said they will do this, but i don't think EWU will be the last or even most extreme example. some team with brown as their color will come out with a field that matches the color of the football... and all brown jerseys/helmet to boot. you won't be able to see a friggin' thing on TV. i don't know how the NCAA would be able to "outlaw" this, i doubt they could... but i have a feeling it's going to get out of hand, especially if EWU goes on a boise-like home winning streak.

Camouflage. A camouflage field, uniforms, and ball.

Maroon&White
October 14th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Camouflage. A camouflage field, uniforms, and ball.

I always thought that would look great at Army with those camouflage uniforms they have. Maybe not the ball, but the field and uniforms.

HensRock
October 14th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I wish the NCAA would put a stop to this. It's getting a bit ridiculous IMO.

I think it's more like Ludicrous.
They've gone Plaid....

http://www.gohens.net/images/PlaidField.png

appfan2008
October 14th, 2010, 01:23 PM
that is disgusting...

but the ewu posted on the first reply looks relatively nice IMO

GSUGrad06
October 18th, 2010, 09:39 AM
I don't think UTSA would go with an orange field. I know the home field advantage aspect is a huge reason behind doing this. UTSA already has released their jerseys and they are navy. Boise State wears all blue at home on their blue field. EWU wears all red at home on their red field. It would make sense that UTSA would do the same and they don't have orange jerseys so that's my reasoning for saying it's not going to happen.

dirty bird
October 18th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I don't think UTSA would go with an orange field. I know the home field advantage aspect is a huge reason behind doing this. UTSA already has released their jerseys and they are navy. Boise State wears all blue at home on their blue field. EWU wears all red at home on their red field. It would make sense that UTSA would do the same and they don't have orange jerseys so that's my reasoning for saying it's not going to happen.

Actually I've been to scrimmages and practices, and they wear all navy - from head to toe. It's much darker than UTEP's, UVA, or Boise State. Of course that's what they wear to practices, but from what I've heard from an assistant coach is that will be the get up on game day. I'm not very sure what the white uniform will look like.

As for the field, it will not be orange. The Alamodome is used for Texas HS All Star games, the Alamobowl, the Dallas Cowboys training camp, and the U.S. Army All American Bowl. On top of that, the city owns the building and I seriously doubt they'd go through the trouble of applying and removing orange turf on Saturdays - especially when the Alamodome currently has a $1 million dollar deal with the turf company to apply new turf once a year.

As recently as yesterday, Coach Coker chimed in stating that the field will not be orange.
http://www.utsatailgaters.com/football/articles/coach-coker-on-the-orange-turf