PDA

View Full Version : UND still on Big Sky's Radar

darell1976
September 30th, 2010, 11:46 AM
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/177414/group/Sports/

Big Sky athletic directors and administrators will meet next week with league commissioner Doug Fullerton to discuss the future of the conference, which stretches from Montana to California.

The information from that session will be forwarded to a meeting of Big Sky school presidents on Oct. 19, a meeting that could go a long way in determining whether UND finds a suitable Division I home for its athletic programs.

UND isn’t the only school under consideration for possible Big Sky membership. Southern Utah also is under consideration. And Fullerton said South Dakota has been discussed as well.

Could be one interesting fall for UND and other GWFC teams.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 30th, 2010, 08:40 PM
No way the Big Sky takes UND or USD.....travel costs way too high. Merger between Great West and the MV is not very probable either.

SUU seems like the natural fit for them.

Unless 1 or more teams leaves the MV, IMO, it stays at 9 teams.....good # to fill out a schedule (8 conference and 3 OOC).

CopperCat
September 30th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I'd rather see USD/UND in the Big Sky than Poly and Davis. Both schools are a better regional fit, and they have more history with BSC teams.

Gil Dobie
September 30th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I'd rather see USD/UND in the Big Sky than Poly and Davis. Both schools are a better regional fit, and they have more history with BSC teams.

Could get all 5, SUU, Poly, Davis, UND & USD if Montana gets a WAC invite and takes it.

slostang
September 30th, 2010, 09:05 PM

That and Cal Poly has beat MSU the last 7 times we have played. I can see why you don't want CP in the Big Sky. :)

slostang
September 30th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Could get all 5, SUU, Poly, Davis, UND & USD if Montana gets a WAC invite and takes it.

11-1(UM)=10. 10+3(UND,USD,SUU)=13. 12 is the number they want to get to. Might see only 2 of the 3 if Montana leaves for the WAC.

CopperCat
September 30th, 2010, 09:21 PM
That and Cal Poly has beat MSU the last 7 times we have played. I can see why you don't want CP in the Big Sky. :)

That really has nothing to do with my reasoning, but that is something that alot of Cat fans do remember. I would rather have people from the Dakotas come to Montana for the game, because we already have enough Californians back in Montana screwing things up in Bozeman with local gov't, local business, property taxes, cost of living etc. That, and the reasons I previously cited. I am 100% sincere about keeping Cali out. Don't want them, don't need them.

slostang
October 1st, 2010, 12:43 AM
That really has nothing to do with my reasoning, but that is something that alot of Cat fans do remember. I would rather have people from the Dakotas come to Montana for the game, because we already have enough Californians back in Montana screwing things up in Bozeman with local gov't, local business, property taxes, cost of living etc. That, and the reasons I previously cited. I am 100% sincere about keeping Cali out. Don't want them, don't need them.

Oh, in that case FTCATs!!!

Gil Dobie
October 1st, 2010, 07:18 AM
11-1(UM)=10. 10+3(UND,USD,SUU)=13. 12 is the number they want to get to. Might see only 2 of the 3 if Montana leaves for the WAC.

If Montana is the only member to go WAC-O, would Sac St or Montana St also consider FBS?

darell1976
October 1st, 2010, 08:21 AM
I would think Sac St would want UND to join since AD Terry Wannless used to be UND's AD.

TokyoGriz
October 1st, 2010, 08:29 AM
If Montana is the only member to go WAC-O, would Sac St or Montana St also consider FBS?

From what I have gleaned on the net, news articles MSU really has no interest in moving up. But also more importantly the WAC has zero interest in them as well and it doesnt look good for an MSU move at this time to FBS. In my opinion if UM does move up, it would give MSU a chance to become the top dog in the Big Sky. It would also let them build up thier program and maybe sometime in the future look at moving up. That seems pretty far off but not out of the realm of possiblity. Montana will be the premier sports attraction in our state with a move up, but MSU could possibly still attract a growing fanbase as they would no longer be beat down every year by UM.

Sac state seems unwanted by the WAC and not ready to move but I could be wrong. I would be very surprised if the WAC expressed interest in SAC though to be honest.

As far as the Dakota schools being on the Big Sky Radar I would guess most likely no. The geographic area covered would really add up the $$$ cost to the schools. SUU makes more sense to replace Montana geographicly. Ive always like the Dakota schools though and woulda rather had them in the Big Sky than UNC and the california schools.

laxVik
October 1st, 2010, 08:40 AM
That really has nothing to do with my reasoning, but that is something that alot of Cat fans do remember. I would rather have people from the Dakotas come to Montana for the game, because we already have enough Californians back in Montana screwing things up in Bozeman with local gov't, local business, property taxes, cost of living etc. That, and the reasons I previously cited. I am 100% sincere about keeping Cali out. Don't want them, don't need them.Nice. Good ol' cali xenophobia. Having moved from LA to Oregon in the 70's as a kid I know it well.