PDA

View Full Version : Southern Utah U. insights?

mtjack
September 30th, 2010, 12:33 AM
I know I've seen a few SUU posters here on occasion. Any firsthand insight on what NAU fans should expect this weekend?

From what I've read box-score wise, the Thunderbirds have played two FCS schools well on the road and outgained Texas State in their loss. SUU has played NAU quite tough the last 2 seasons. NAU's defense has been stout so far but this is road game number three out of four in a row. Never know how teams react to road conditions over extended periods.

I don't know quite what to expect from NAU yet. Optimistic but conservative in my expectations.

Lumberjacks 24
Thunderbirds 20

Cat79
September 30th, 2010, 01:28 AM
mtjack

As a Texas State fan I have respect for Southern Utah. They are well coached and use a ball control pass and rushing game. Their receivers are first rate. If you run a zone defense they will pick you apart by going to the open spot in the zone. We had to run a combination zone and man defense to cover their recievers.

Their number 1 RB is small but quick. He is used on draws and screen passes very effectively.

Their QB transfered from BYU. He has a gun for an arm and very patient in the pocket. We pressured him but failed to get to him much.

We ran on their defense. Their defense is physical but fast in the secondary. We burned them on a couple of long passes but our QB had to throw it over the receivers shoulder to keep the defender off.

They picked up a little bit of junk yardage in the 4th quarter when we changed out some of our defensive personnel.

SUU is a solid well coached team that can be very dangerous.

mtjack
September 30th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks, Cat79.

I remember their running back, Minefee, and receiver, Poots, both being handfuls last year. I also vividly remember their 22 point fourth quarter to make a sizeable NAU lead shrink quickly.

bincitysioux
September 30th, 2010, 10:45 PM
If I remember right, their QB likes to chuck it around, the WR Poots is awesome, and their O-Line is gigantic.

Cat79
October 1st, 2010, 04:25 PM
Thanks, Cat79.

I remember their running back, Minefee, and receiver, Poots, both being handfuls last year. I also vividly remember their 22 point fourth quarter to make a sizeable NAU lead shrink quickly.

We had them by 21 but SUU fought back each time to get it back to 14.
Final was 42-28