PDA

View Full Version : SLC - Open to Inviting Texas Southern, Prairie View?

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2010, 08:20 AM
The Band Fan on TSPN brought this up in discussing the SWAC's expansion situation...

Question is - would the Southland Conference be open to inviting Texas Southern and Prairie View?

Apparently the SLC has looked at one, if not both of the schools before according to different people who have posted over the years.

Both the SWAC and SLC footprints are riddled by budget issues, particularly Louisiana and Mississippi schools. Additionally, the SLC could lose one or more schools to FBS (see TXST, UTSA).

The two Texas schools have or will have the largest budgets in the SWAC. Their budgets are in line with some of the Louisiana schools within the conference currently. Moving forward, they are most competitive schools as far as the SWAC goes across the board in sports.

The two Texas SWAC schools would be able to cut down on travel expenses (since they'd be mostly commuting around Texas compared to hauls to Alabama). They could continue to play the Labor Day Classic and critical OOC games against Grambling, Southern.

Adding TSU and PV would bolster attendance at the SLC basketball tournament in Katy, Texas.

Would add a third and fourth bowling team to the conference - already have SHSU and SFA - and could encourage other schools to add the sport, so we can sponsor a conference championship. Just would need two more - come on Lamar!

Not sure what I think about this. Would love to know where PV stands with their future goals - namely the facility upgrades and athletic budget commitment...

TSU has a solid budget and will have an amazing football stadium - move the FCS title game to Houston with SLC/TSU hosting?

Thoughts?

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Potential new Southland Conference....???

All Sports
Central Arkansas
Lamar
McNeese State
Nicholls State
Northwestern State
Prairie View A&M
Sam Houston State
Southeastern Louisiana
Stephen F. Austin
Texas Southern

Non-Football
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
UT-Arlington

DIVISIONAL ALIGNMENT for basketball, other sports

WEST
Prairie View A&M/Texas Southern
Sam Houston State/Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
Stephen F. Austin/UT-Arlington

EAST
Central Arkansas/Northwestern State
Lamar/McNeese State
Nicholls State/Southeastern Louisiana

Other possible expansion candidates... UALR (if Sun Belt goes all football), Oral Roberts, Houston Baptist, UT-Pan American

houtexan
September 28th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Not likely that either of these will leave the SWAC. My biggest issue with this is the challenges that TSU has with keeping it's accreditation. HBU and ORU would be better adds for Baseball, Basketball, and Academics...

nwFL Griz
September 28th, 2010, 09:18 AM
From a purely football view, I think this a terrific idea for both sides. However, I know nothing about the dynamics of the SWAC, and whether the two would even be interested in moving.

mikebigg
September 28th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Potential new Southland Conference....???

All Sports
Central Arkansas
Lamar
McNeese State
Nicholls State
Northwestern State
Prairie View A&M
Sam Houston State
Southeastern Louisiana
Stephen F. Austin
Texas Southern

Non-Football
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
UT-Arlington

DIVISIONAL ALIGNMENT for basketball, other sports

WEST
Prairie View A&M/Texas Southern
Sam Houston State/Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
Stephen F. Austin/UT-Arlington

EAST
Central Arkansas/Northwestern State
Lamar/McNeese State
Nicholls State/Southeastern Louisiana

Other possible expansion candidates... UALR (if Sun Belt goes all football), Oral Roberts, Houston Baptist, UT-Pan American

Since we're doing, "What if's"...

The Louisiana/Arkansas/Mississippi SWAC and SLC schools merge into one conference

UAPB
UCA
Arkansas-Monticello (moves from D2)
Grambling
Southern
Northwestern
Nichols
McNeese
Southeastern
Alcorn
Jackson State
Miss Valley

3rd Coast Tiger
September 28th, 2010, 09:43 AM

The Louisiana/Arkansas/Mississippi SWAC and SLC schools merge into one conference

UAPB
UCA
Grambling
Southern
Northwestern
Nichols
McNeese
Southeastern
Alcorn
Jackson State
Miss Valley

You might be on to something Mike, but what I'd do is move Nichols down to Div. II and add Samford, Hinds and Delta State.

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Not likely that either of these will leave the SWAC. My biggest issue with this is the challenges that TSU has with keeping it's accreditation. HBU and ORU would be better adds for Baseball, Basketball, and Academics...

The Southland has not had a private school in the league since Trinity and Abilene Christian were once members. Not sure how the public schools (let alone the private ones) would feel about adding HBU and Oral Roberts.

From a purely football view, I think this a terrific idea for both sides. However, I know nothing about the dynamics of the SWAC, and whether the two would even be interested in moving.

I'd be curious if the numbers were crunched - does it benefit TSU and PV to play in the SLC compared to the SWAC? Not really certain how the numbers work with the television deals and the SWAC championship game. Would think the NCAA payout to the SLC is higher than the SWAC, but would believe the SWAC gets more from TV money.

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2010, 09:58 AM

I do not think the Southland schools would be interested in such a league. While they would be farely more competitive against schools with equal or lesser budgets (compared to competing against the TX schools), I have a harder time believing that happens compared to two SWAC schools leaving for the SLC.

TSUalum05
September 28th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Not likely that either of these will leave the SWAC.

Exactly

My biggest issue with this is the challenges that TSU has with keeping it's accreditation.

We should never have any challenges again...Previous administration left us in a bad situation...

mikebigg
September 28th, 2010, 10:23 AM
You might be on to something Mike, but what I'd do is move Nichols down to Div. II and add Samford, Hinds and Delta State.

I do not think the Southland schools would be interested in such a league. While they would be farely more competitive against schools with equal or lesser budgets (compared to competing against the TX schools), I have a harder time believing that happens compared to two SWAC schools leaving for the SLC.

Oh, thought we were only talking "what ifs" ... I don't think the two SWAC schools would be interested in leaving to join the SLC either.

Panther88
September 28th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Not likely that either of these will leave the SWAC.

Not true, at all.

There's been a push by several alums, such as myself, to leave the SWAC over the last 4-5 years. The competitivity across the board IC and OOC was ONE of the last steps to help complete that process, coupled w/ the newly approved athletic-facilities upgrade across the ENTIRE board. :) Every SINGLE athletic venue is slated to be revamped. Most are just now hearing the rhetoric regarding our new on-campus stadium but certainly didn't pay attention to the ENTIRE proposal and approved process: all athletic venues upgraded, all the way down to the tennis courts. xsmileyclapx

Many, many years ago, the actual infrastructure of the university was revamped. All was totally quiet while we seemingly upgraded to be on "par" w/ what our system, The Texas A&M University System, metted as a TAMUS standard (academic standards as well as physical plant standards-notice all those new bldgs, tax paying citizenry?).

We're well w/in the footprint of the SLC and it's HQ. It's nothing but a win-win situation for PVAMU and it's time we moved on. We've outgrown the "SWAC" and I'm certainly in favor of us leaving as quickly as possible.

mikebigg
September 28th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Not true, at all.

There's been a push by several alums, such as myself, to leave the SWAC over the last 4-5 years. The competitivity across the board IC and OOC was ONE of the last steps to help complete that process, coupled w/ the newly approved athletic-facilities upgrade across the ENTIRE board. :) Every SINGLE athletic venue is slated to be revamped. Most are just now hearing the rhetoric regarding our new on-campus stadium but certainly didn't pay attention to the ENTIRE proposal and approved process: all athletic venues upgraded, all the way down to the tennis courts. xsmileyclapx

Many, many years ago, the actual infrastructure of the university was revamped. All was totally quiet while we seemingly upgraded to be on "par" w/ what our system, The Texas A&M University System, metted as a TAMUS standard (academic standards as well as physical plant standards-notice all those new bldgs, tax paying citizenry?).

We're well w/in the footprint of the SLC and it's HQ. It's nothing but a win-win situation for PVAMU and it's time we moved on. We've outgrown the "SWAC" and I'm certainly in favor of us leaving as quickly as possible.

Hope that works out for yall... try to expedite the move as quickly as possible.

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2010, 10:48 AM
My big concern about adding any SWAC teams is their competition level. They'd have to commit. While this is just volleyball and soccer, it shows a trend that is growing - that the SLC is vastly superior than the SWAC. Sure, the SWAC fans do not care about these sports - but the SLC has had increasing success in basketball and baseball against the SWAC - presumably sports the league cares about...

SLC vs SWAC (through games of this past weekend)
W Soccer - SLC 26-0-2
W Volleyball - SLC 22-0
Total Result: SLC 48-0-2 (.980 winning percentage)

tw_fatcat
September 28th, 2010, 10:54 AM

Houston Baptist I don't know much about but I can tell you I think there is no way in hell that the Southland could get ORU. Right now I believe the Missouri Valley is looking at ORU and if they want them I just don't see the Southland pulling them in over the Valley.

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Houston Baptist I don't know much about but I can tell you I think there is no way in hell that the Southland could get ORU. Right now I believe the Missouri Valley is looking at ORU and if they want them I just don't see the Southland pulling them in over the Valley.

The Valley is a great fit for ORU. Are they really looking at them? I know UALR's fans would rather go to the Valley over the Southland if they are given the boot out of the Sun Belt due to lacking football...

HBU wants into the Southland BAD... they are very desperate to get in and have all of our sports (men's soccer issue like UCA does have).

WestCoastAggie
September 28th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Not true, at all.

WOW...

TexasFan
September 28th, 2010, 11:26 AM
The SLC has some of the worst APR scores of any conference in the country. Why would they want to add schools who have APR issues too?

JoshUCA
September 28th, 2010, 11:40 AM

UAPB
UCA
Grambling
Southern
Northwestern
Nichols
McNeese
Southeastern
Alcorn
Jackson State
Miss Valley

I would have to think that UCA would not go for this. We do a lot of recruiting in TX and that was a big reason we wanted to join the SLC as opposed to the MVC or OVC. Therefore, if TX is no longer in the equation I'm not sure it would be a good thing for us.

jstate83
September 28th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Not true, at all.

Let's play "What If". xlolxxrotatehxxlolx

What if the SWAC had done what would have been the right thing to do "business wise" , KICKING THEM OUT AND MOVING ANOTHER TEAM IN, back in the '70's, 80's, 90's...when they dropped football all-together, and the 2000, when P. View football/sports was nothing more than rotting dead weight that nobody wanted to see, being dragged and carried along by the other institutions of the SWAC?. Remember 0-82? Remember people complaining ya'll were even on the schedule. Remember those 70 point, 80 point, and 92-0 azz-whippings?

Be careful of what you ask and PUSH for.xlolx
Nobody's holding a gun to your head making you stay. xeyebrowx

Carry on...............Good bye. xtwocentsx

TSUalum05
September 28th, 2010, 12:29 PM
My big concern about adding any SWAC teams is their competition level. They'd have to commit. While this is just volleyball and soccer, it shows a trend that is growing - that the SLC is vastly superior than the SWAC. Sure, the SWAC fans do not care about these sports - but the SLC has had increasing success in basketball and baseball against the SWAC - presumably sports the league cares about...

SLC vs SWAC (through games of this past weekend)
W Soccer - SLC 26-0-2
W Volleyball - SLC 22-0
Total Result: SLC 48-0-2 (.980 winning percentage)

I knew you were going to bring the current records into this thread. I haven't seen this conversation when speaking of SCSU potentially being welcomed with open arms to other conferences. It's a valid concern, how would we compete in the "other" sports. However, its well known that if any team moves into a different conference, they will add resources, etc. to be competitive in that other conference. So current records would not have any direct impact on any movement.

I would strictly be against any movement to the Southland TSU, it wouldn't make any sense. Southland could at some point become history with everyone exploring the possibility of moving up to a FBS conference. Lastly, looking at the enrollment numbers of each Southland school and we'd be 11 out of 13 schools.

What would be the benefit for TSU to join the Southland? Or what would be the benefit for the Southland to include TSU? Minimal benefits to both in my opinion.

TSUalum05
September 28th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I see this thread is about to go down the wrong path...xbangxxbangx

3rd Coast Tiger
September 28th, 2010, 12:52 PM

xlolx

Panther88
September 28th, 2010, 12:59 PM

Angry SWAC grads in other states commenting out of emotionalism vs rational thought. One even went back to the future and did a "what if" from 1970/1980. xlolx lol

Me personally, IDGAF what any entity outside the state of Texas thinks or says. I'm only concerned w/ what and how the voting tax paying citizenry dictate what's best for THE Prairie View A&M University's future. The senseless trips, 2-3 states over, for full athletic participation has to cease. There are 5 FCS schools w/in a 4hr driving window of PVAMU's campus where 1 is current SWAC and the other 4 are SLC. Granted, currently, I don't think we have the student populous to fully fund ALL current 18 varsity sports but I can assure you, w/ the state issued mandate years ago, we will be there shortly enrollment wise. So, Terror, the ladies soccers, volleyball, baseball, etc will look to improve. That's our current direction and that's our main objective.

The SWAC served it's purpose, athletically, and we've outgrown that purpose. The others can choose to remain stagnant if they so choose. It's none of our business. :)

sfajack05
September 28th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I personally don't see the SLC inviting other schools in unless others leave (Texas State, Lamar, UTSA) or if other conference teams that don't have a program (UTA, A&M-CC) add football to make two divisions. The league already has nine teams for football (including Lamar) and I'm not sure if UTSA is joining next year but if they do then that's 10. To me that will take away the SLC schools chances of playing better opponents outside of conference unless they create an East and West division and only have the teams play 6 or 7conference games a year or something along those lines. If the SLC does decide to add more teams they should add teams that will bring something to the entire conference and not just in one sport.

on a side note: does any remember Tarleton talking about moving up and possibly coming to the southland a couple years ago.

Panther88
September 28th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Let's play "What If". xlolxxrotatehxxlolx

What if the SWAC had done what would have been the right thing to do "business wise" , KICKING THEM OUT AND MOVING ANOTHER TEAM IN, back in the '70's, 80's, 90's...when they dropped football all-together, and the 2000, when P. View football/sports was nothing more than rotting dead weight that nobody wanted to see, being dragged and carried along by the other institutions of the SWAC?. Remember 0-82? Remember people complaining ya'll were even on the schedule. Remember those 70 point, 80 point, and 92-0 azz-whippings?

Be careful of what you ask and PUSH for.xlolx
Nobody's holding a gun to your head making you stay. xeyebrowx

Carry on...............Good bye. xtwocentsx

I "remember" when gas was 79 cents per gallon but it certainly doesn't have a ****ing thing to do w/ today, now does it? ::insert mentally retarded smiley here::

Go hold hands and sing kum-bah-yah w/ your folx man while discussing 1970 this and 1980 that. Geeeeeez...

jstate83
September 28th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I "remember" when gas was 79 cents per gallon but it certainly doesn't have a ****ing thing to do w/ today, now does it? ::insert mentally retarded smiley here::

Go hold hands and sing kum-bah-yah w/ your folx man while discussing 1970 this and 1980 that. Geeeeeez...

Nobodys holding a gun to ya'll head making you stay.
BE GONE............Petition to leave at seasons end.........Who cares?
Nobody is going to break down crying if P. View bless us and leave the SWAC.
Take school, your 1 Championship in 80 years, your 3 fans, and hit the road. xlolx

Panther88
September 28th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Nobodys holding a gun to ya'll head making you stay.
BE GONE............Petition to leave at seasons end.........Who cares?
Nobody is going to break down crying if P. View bless us and leave the SWAC.
Take school, your 1 Championship in 80 years, your 3 fans, and hit the road. xlolx

If you didn't care, jstate83, you wouldn't have mouthed off==========================> ::RIDICULOUSLY STUPID smiley goes here::

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I knew you were going to bring the current records into this thread. I haven't seen this conversation when speaking of SCSU potentially being welcomed with open arms to other conferences. It's a valid concern, how would we compete in the "other" sports. However, its well known that if any team moves into a different conference, they will add resources, etc. to be competitive in that other conference. So current records would not have any direct impact on any movement.

The SLC would need to see a commitment regarding resources, facilities, etc. I would hope our current schools keep up, but in some cases - TSU and PV are behind. Most notably, baseball and softball facilities are a pressing concern. If PV can get that dream football stadium, that'd be a big plus and we all know about TSU's.

I would strictly be against any movement to the Southland TSU, it wouldn't make any sense. Southland could at some point become history with everyone exploring the possibility of moving up to a FBS conference. Lastly, looking at the enrollment numbers of each Southland school and we'd be 11 out of 13 schools.

Good point on enrollment. Did not realize how low you guys were on the totem pole. Not everyone is exploring FBS in the league. The big problem facing the SLC and SWAC are the financial problems in Louisiana and Mississippi. Our AD is greatly concerned that we'll have our hands forced to go to FBS because half the league will fall out. The SWAC's Mississippi schools are in dire straits - see Valley's budget and basketball schedule - to the point they are not offering much to your league from a competition standpoint.

What would be the benefit for TSU to join the Southland? Or what would be the benefit for the Southland to include TSU? Minimal benefits to both in my opinion.

That is my question too... would either consider the other? The SLC has other Div I options in the vicinity - notably UT-Pan American and Houston Baptist and possibly UALR, pending their status. A few Division II programs including Tarleton State have expressed a desire to move up and we know Arkansas-Monticello is no pushover.

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I personally don't see the SLC inviting other schools in unless others leave (Texas State, Lamar, UTSA) or if other conference teams that don't have a program (UTA, A&M-CC) add football to make two divisions. The league already has nine teams for football (including Lamar) and I'm not sure if UTSA is joining next year but if they do then that's 10. To me that will take away the SLC schools chances of playing better opponents outside of conference unless they create an East and West division and only have the teams play 6 or 7conference games a year or something along those lines. If the SLC does decide to add more teams they should add teams that will bring something to the entire conference and not just in one sport.

UTSA is never going to play a down of football in the SLC. They are meeting with the WAC today and along with TXST should be out the door. If Lamar and/or SFA jumps as well, SHSU will not be far behind. So - we'll wait and see. I think SHSU, Lamar and SFA are a few years from moving...

UT-Arlington needs to complete that Special Events Center before we figure what their plans are...

on a side note: does any remember Tarleton talking about moving up and possibly coming to the southland a couple years ago.

Tarleton tried getting into the SLC when UCA, A&M-CC ended up. They along with Centenary and maybe UT-Pan Am applied. I think Tarleton State is ahead of HBU and UT-Pan Am in the pecking order based on location, facilities and FOOTBALL.

jstate83
September 28th, 2010, 02:20 PM
If you didn't care, jstate83, you wouldn't have mouthed off==========================> ::RIDICULOUSLY STUPID smiley goes here::

no.
I spoke up because I wanted too.
I spoke up just to see just how drunk you really are and have a good laugh.
I didn't seek this thread out, it was pointed out to me on another board.

Again..............Be gone today............ You the only one upset, cussing at people.
I just posed the question of what could have happened if we had kicked ya'll out when we should have back in 1980. If we did, ya'll could be the size of Michigan by now with all the "growing" ya'll have done in 3 years. xlolx

Don't waste time talking about it on chatboards.
Let me know what I can do to speed up the process of P. View leaving the SWAC.
I'll be glad to help. xlolx

3rd Coast Tiger
September 28th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Simply amazing that all of this STARTED based off a "what if" scenario by a poster on TSPN and now we got the SLC needing to see a commitment regarding resources, facilities, etc...

Panther88
September 28th, 2010, 03:14 PM
no.
I spoke up because I wanted too.
I spoke up just to see just how drunk you really are and have a good laugh.
I didn't seek this thread out, it was pointed out to me on another board.

Again..............Be gone today............ You the only one upset, cussing at people.
I just posed the question of what could have happened if we had kicked ya'll out when we should have back in 1980. If we did, ya'll could be the size of Michigan by now with all the "growing" ya'll have done in 3 years. xlolx

Don't waste time talking about it on chatboards.
Let me know what I can do to speed up the process of P. View leaving the SWAC.
I'll be glad to help. xlolx

Don't be soooooooooooooo typical mafree'. Don't speak about it, be about it. Donate to help us leave the crippled behind-> www.pvamf.org.

Right. xlolx All talk, as usual. So, typical. lol

sfajack05
September 28th, 2010, 03:30 PM
UTSA is never going to play a down of football in the SLC. They are meeting with the WAC today and along with TXST should be out the door. If Lamar and/or SFA jumps as well, SHSU will not be far behind. So - we'll wait and see. I think SHSU, Lamar and SFA are a few years from moving....

i really haven't kept up with what UTSA is doing but I do now remember UTSA saying they don't want to play football in the Southland. Didn't some schools come out and say if UTSA doesn't want to play football then they should leave the conference all together even before they decide where to go (is that right or was it fans saying that?).

Anyways if the WAC doesn't take them by next season or whatever deadline they have then what is UTSA going to do? Would they still be considered a 1-A or 1-AA for football. Just wondering.

(I'm sure you guys have already covered this at some point)

Tarleton tried getting into the SLC when UCA, A&M-CC ended up. They along with Centenary and maybe UT-Pan Am applied. I think Tarleton State is ahead of HBU and UT-Pan Am in the pecking order based on location, facilities and FOOTBALL.

ok i'm glad someone else remember that. I asked me friend about that and he looked at me like I was an idiot about Tarleton.

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Simply amazing that all of this STARTED based off a "what if" scenario by a poster on TSPN and now we got the SLC needing to see a commitment regarding resources, facilities, etc...

Well - that is the 'what if' to the Southland Conference and their willingness to invite the two aforementioned SWAC schools into the SLC... :)

3rd Coast Tiger
September 28th, 2010, 04:02 PM
The SLC did reach out to Texas Southern back in 2004 or 2005 and we turned it down; I know as I was on the committee. You even mentioned it in your original post so.....

Lehigh Football Nation
September 28th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Unstated in this completely hypothetical analysis is the impact Texas Southern and PV A&M leaving would have on men's basketball. If the SWAC lost TxSo (227 RPI) and PVA&M (272 RPI), the Southland would not only gain two halfway decent teams but a bad SWAC would become bar none the worst college basketball conference in the country.

Conversely, PVA&M and TxSo would be going from an awful basketball conference to a halfway-decent lower mid-major.

mikebigg
September 28th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I would have to think that UCA would not go for this. We do a lot of recruiting in TX and that was a big reason we wanted to join the SLC as opposed to the MVC or OVC. Therefore, if TX is no longer in the equation I'm not sure it would be a good thing for us.

I feel ya on that...McNeese might would feel the same because they recruit Texas hard and those games are easy travel distances. Was just throwing out some what ifs...don't think it's likely at all.

mikebigg
September 28th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Was this another thread started by you to point out what the SWAC did or didn't have...what we have or haven't won? What prompted this thread...was there a link somewhere that indicates that this was being studied or did you decide to create yet another opportunity to post more and more of this constant drivel? Just curious!

The SLC would need to see a commitment regarding resources, facilities, etc. I would hope our current schools keep up, but in some cases - TSU and PV are behind. Most notably, baseball and softball facilities are a pressing concern. If PV can get that dream football stadium, that'd be a big plus and we all know about TSU's.

Good point on enrollment. Did not realize how low you guys were on the totem pole. Not everyone is exploring FBS in the league. The big problem facing the SLC and SWAC are the financial problems in Louisiana and Mississippi. Our AD is greatly concerned that we'll have our hands forced to go to FBS because half the league will fall out. The SWAC's Mississippi schools are in dire straits - see Valley's budget and basketball schedule - to the point they are not offering much to your league from a competition standpoint.

That is my question too... would either consider the other? The SLC has other Div I options in the vicinity - notably UT-Pan American and Houston Baptist and possibly UALR, pending their status. A few Division II programs including Tarleton State have expressed a desire to move up and we know Arkansas-Monticello is no pushover.

jstate83
September 28th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Don't be soooooooooooooo typical mafree'. Don't speak about it, be about it. Donate to help us leave the crippled behind-> www.pvamf.org.

Right. xlolx All talk, as usual. So, typical. lol

Oh hell no.............ALL TALK.............you are drunk. xlolx
Still begging for a hand out after 50 years of handouts from all the other schools in the conference. I'll march for you, I'll petition the SWAC to give you your walking papers, I'll even sit side by side with a JSU Jersey and a SWAC hat on with a signed statement from C.H.O.F. Coach W. C. Gorden at a press conference saying let P. View go. But DONATE to a school that has "outgrown" us. xeyebrowx

Thats just ludacrist thinking. xlolx
P. View is all that............Raise your own money. xlolx

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Was this another thread started by you to point out what the SWAC did or didn't have...what we have or haven't won? What prompted this thread...was there a link somewhere that indicates that this was being studied or did you decide to create yet another opportunity to post more and more of this constant drivel? Just curious!

The Band Fan mentioned it in the thread on TSPN regarding conference expansion for the SWAC.

Unstated in this completely hypothetical analysis is the impact Texas Southern and PV A&M leaving would have on men's basketball. If the SWAC lost TxSo (227 RPI) and PVA&M (272 RPI), the Southland would not only gain two halfway decent teams but a bad SWAC would become bar none the worst college basketball conference in the country.

TSU and PV are two of the stronger SWAC teams across all sports. The SWAC is already the worst (or second to worst) conference via RPI in each sport in which they participate in. The gap between the SWAC and those around them would grow substantially if they lost both institutions.

Panther88
September 28th, 2010, 07:02 PM
The gap between the SWAC and those around them would grow substantially if they lost both institutions.

If sTu isn't numero uno now, they're up there somewhere top-3 for sure. I think @ last count, PVAMU was #3 2008 and I think sTu was #2 @ the time. That's pretty significant considering both schools are in a state where the tax paying citizens do NOT fund athletics. :)

BearsCountry
September 28th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Right now I believe the Missouri Valley is looking at ORU and if they want them I just don't see the Southland pulling them in over the Valley.

We are? Thats news to me. The MVC isn't looking to expand right now unless its Saint Louis.

jacksfan29
September 28th, 2010, 08:43 PM
We are? Thats news to me. The MVC isn't looking to expand right now unless its Saint Louis.

I was wondering if anyone was going to call that rumor bogus. There is no way the MVC would ever look at ORU, academically and financially they are not up to MVC standards.

purplejacks
September 28th, 2010, 08:57 PM
SFA is not moving anywhere. Our president has already said we are VERY HAPPY WHERE WE ARE ! He wants to win a National Championship in the FCS.

As far as Prairie View and Texas Southern are concerned... I'd say leave them in the SWAC. The SLC would be better served in football by going after the schools in the Big West who are not joining the Big Sky Conference. North Dakota, South Dakota, Southern Utah.... bring those schools in for football would be a great addition.

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2010, 09:02 PM
SFA is not moving anywhere. Our president has already said we are VERY HAPPY WHERE WE ARE ! He wants to win a National Championship in the FCS.

SHSU is happy where we are as well... but changes may force our hand. AD has said as much. One would be ignorant to avoid recognizing the changes to the financial, athletic landscapes both in the SLC and SWAC.

msusig
September 28th, 2010, 09:08 PM
How about this for SLC football:
North:
UL-Monroe
Central Arkansas
Northwestern State
West Texas A&M
Tarleton State
SFA

South:
Sam Houston State
Texas Southern
Nicholls State
Southeastern Louisiana
Lamar
McNeese State

msusig
September 28th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Texas State & UTSA are the only ones in the SLC moving up in the next five years unless there are some major changes in FBS.

purplejacks
September 28th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Interesting, but so are some of Obama's comments. Why would West Texas A&M... a top DII program want to move back up, after not dropping down that many years ago? Tarleton State... long ways off. I just dont see Texas Southern wanting to join up with a league that follows the rules. I do see UL Monroe coming back...

msusig
September 28th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Also what about UT-Arlington getting football? That would probably mean we wouldn't have to pick up any football schools unless we wanted two divisions.

msusig
September 28th, 2010, 09:18 PM
West Texas A&M was mentioned on a conference expansion possibilities website as considering upgrading. So was Tarleton State. I used Texas Southern b/c of this thread, but could be replaced with a number of schools. It would give both sides a chance to travel to Texas & Louisiana.

Panther88
September 28th, 2010, 10:48 PM
The SLC would be better served in football by going after the schools in the Big West who are not joining the Big Sky Conference. North Dakota, South Dakota, Southern Utah.... bring those schools in for football would be a great addition.

Just for football or all sports? xconfusedx If you're including all sports, I'd say those schools would bust your athletic budget to hell w/ travel expenses for 16+ varsity sports, inclusive of the Title IX sports, alone. Would you not agree?

xnonono2x

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Interesting, but so are some of Obama's comments. Why would West Texas A&M... a top DII program want to move back up, after not dropping down that many years ago? Tarleton State... long ways off. I just dont see Texas Southern wanting to join up with a league that follows the rules. I do see UL Monroe coming back...

Are you sure Tarleton State is a long ways off? They applied the last go around and are interested in playing Division I. That is in their school's mission statement and apparently the new leadership is still on board with that.

Also what about UT-Arlington getting football? That would probably mean we wouldn't have to pick up any football schools unless we wanted two divisions.

UT-Arlington had a choice between the special events center and football. They went special events center. Now when that building is done, if the school likes at football again, it would be great. They are watching Lamar, I'm sure. It will only help them by adding football and their enrollment continues to grow!

Just for football or all sports? xconfusedx If you're including all sports, I'd say those schools would bust your athletic budget to hell w/ travel expenses for 16+ varsity sports, inclusive of the Title IX sports, alone. Would you not agree?

Probably football I suspect, couldn't add those schools in all sports. Those schools have a good non-football situation in the Summit League (once UND gets in), though Southern Utah could end up in the Big Sky.

Panther88
September 29th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Probably football I suspect, couldn't add those schools in all sports. Those schools have a good non-football situation in the Summit League (once UND gets in), though Southern Utah could end up in the Big Sky.

Football (strictly) wise, I'd had zero arguments w/ it. But, if all varsity sports were brought in for those univ's, there'd be a huge shortfall in an entity's athl budget based on travel expenses alone. Anyone suggesting that, surely they work for the fed govt and haven't mastered positives/negatives. lol

I like the direction PVAMU is heading and also the growth we've endured as of late, although there are growing pains w/ it. Thankfully the TAMUS is on board w/ all of this (finally) and since items have been put on paper (dried ink mind you :) ), things are progressing as well as they should, considering we're a state public school. Being situated in the NW corridor of the 3rd largest city in the USofA, I don't see any reason why the current growth pattern(s) couldn't and shouldn't continue. As a demonstration of progress (recent), PVAMU's budget went from 9th lowest to 3rd highest in the span of a year. That shows a huge commitment and that commitment came from the top, although it could actually be better. I'm for positive change as nothing should remain stagnant. When the old SWC dissolved and others re-aligned, I thought it was in the best interest of those parties involved to modify their athletic affiliations. IMHO, @ this juncture, I think it's likewise for PVAMU to do likewise and to do it smartly. There's a mini-FCS conference w/in the physical state of Texas. There's no rhyme or reason why we should send non-rev sports 300+-1,000+ miles away for athletic competition annually.

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Football (strictly) wise, I'd had zero arguments w/ it. But, if all varsity sports were brought in for those univ's, there'd be a huge shortfall in an entity's athl budget based on travel expenses alone. Anyone suggesting that, surely they work for the fed govt and haven't mastered positives/negatives. lol

I agree...

The big thing for all schools in the Southland is having eight conference games. This assures four home and four away games on the schedule against Division I competition. Still have room for an FBS game (or two) while allowing OOC rivalries remain intact - particularly if TSU and PV come in and want to play some of the SWAC schools.