PDA

View Full Version : Montana QB Selle suffers career-ending injury

bonarae
September 28th, 2010, 07:14 AM
The link to the story in the official website is not working. :( But, http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4345082 works.

Montana quarterback Andrew Selle suffered a career-ending injury to his throwing arm during Saturday's 28-25 win over Sacramento State.

Selle, a candidate for The Sports Network's Walter Payton Award, given annually to the best offensive player in the Football Championship Subdivision, finished his senior season with 599 passing yards and five touchdowns. He also had five interceptions, while completing 41-of-77 passes.

biggie
September 28th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Anyone with insight on how much it will affect their offense/season?

bjtheflamesfan
September 28th, 2010, 08:11 AM
What exactly happened?

wapiti
September 28th, 2010, 09:19 AM

I think it will have very little effect on their offense.
Their backup, Roper, is having fewer turnovers and moving the ball better than Selle. IMO
If anything there will be an improvement on offense.

biggie
September 28th, 2010, 09:33 AM
I think it will have very little effect on their offense.
Their backup, Roper, is having fewer turnovers and moving the ball better than Selle. IMO
If anything there will be an improvement on offense.
Weird than in 2 weeks, 2 teams lose a starting QB and believe their offenses have not been hurt.

Green26
September 28th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Selle was hit hard by a d-end coming from the right as he was starting to throw, and was also taken down. Very bad shoulder separation of throwing arm. Near end of first half. Bummer for him and his teammates. He was a captain and the top leader on the team. The back-up Roper, the Oregon transfer from a year ago, who had already played in the second quarter, came on and threw well. Made some mistakes, but was 16-19 throwing and conference offensive player of the week. Roper is good and will get better in the starting role, but depth is now an issue, and at least up to this point, Roper has not been the leader than Selle has been. Roper is more mobile than Selle, so should be more of a running thread in the spread. Roper is 6'6" and has a strong arm.

Selle is a great kid and great student. Already graduated. First in his high school class of about 475. Considering applying for a Rhodes Scholarship.

Walkon79
September 28th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Sorry to hear about Andrew. Sonds like he's a solid citizen on top of being one of the all-timers in Grizzly history. Top Ten in passing in his career I believe.

Dblue
September 28th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I've seen Montana twice this year, against Poly and EWU. You hate to see any player get hurt and be sidelined for the rest of the year but this might turn out well for the Griz. I think Montana may have been hurt so far this year by the QB shuffle. Roper as the only QB may lead to more stability in the offense. Just my thought.

Gil Dobie
September 28th, 2010, 10:39 AM
NDSU went from less than 10 points per game to over 30 points per game with the backup replacing the starter due to injury.

Squealofthepig
September 28th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I believe Roper's gotten at least one series each half in each game prior to the injury; hate to see this happen to Selle, and do think it will impact the Grizzly offense a bit. However, I don't think this will affect the Griz much in general, as their offense has been doing quite well, as it's turnovers and special teams that have really caused Montana to be their own worst enemy.

son-of-info
September 28th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks for all the fun Andrew, youre a Griz for life brother and we wish you well in the future.

As for Roeper, he absolutely passes the eye test, and id say his playing time split with Selle was already 70/30 if not 60/40. He can run, and actually has a stronger arm than Selle, its his accuracy that will need to develop, but if youre asking how concerned we are, really not that much. I would echo some of the concerns about depth tho....

OrygunBison
September 28th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I'm very sorry to hear this about Selle. Roper is very capable, though. I saw him play in several games for the Ducks. He's mobile and has a great arm. The only downside to me is his lanky frame. I'm not sure how many hits the guy can take. Played in the Pac10, though...

superman7515
September 28th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Not a Montana fan, but I never root for a guy to get hurt. Sorry to hear it's all over for him, but everything happens for a reason. Whether you call it God, fate, karma, or whatever; I'll hope that whatever is in store for him in the future allows him to go on to bigger and better things. Best of luck.

Thundar
September 28th, 2010, 12:41 PM
NDSU went from less than 10 points per game to over 30 points per game with the backup replacing the starter due to injury.

And 21 of those in the 3rd QTR!!

Sorry to hear Griz fans, sucks to lose a leader

Silenoz
September 28th, 2010, 01:48 PM

It will probably actually get better, if for no reason other than we won't be platooning at QB like we have for the last season and a half

Roper has also been pretty lights out this year. He might have the best QB rating in the nation right now, but he didn't get enough throws against EWU to appear in any qualified stats lists.

GreatAppSt
September 28th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I hate reading news like this. I hope his shoulder recovers as well as Drew Brees' did.

AppStsGr8
September 28th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Really sorry to hear about Selle. Hopefully, he'll heal well enough to enjoy a great game of backyard football in the future.

purplejacks
September 28th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Selle was a class guy as are most of the Griz and their fans... I really hope you all get things turned around and can visit us in Texas this November... be sure to bring Yogi and Bobo when you come.