PDA

View Full Version : I-AA Football at Lamar?

TexasTerror
February 1st, 2006, 07:39 AM
Football at Lamar? We know A&M-CC and UTSA have been among those SLC non-football members who have suggested it recently or even done some investigating. Now, we have a remark from Lamar AD Billy Tubbs on his radio show, courtesy of the Lamar Fans Board in which he suggests football could be coming back in the near future...

Billy responded to a callers question about the possibility of bringing back football to Lamar and the coach stated he very much wanted football back at Lamar. He never said football would definitely be back but he did say it was very possible football would be back in two or three years.

McNeese72
February 1st, 2006, 08:07 AM
Football at Lamar? We know A&M-CC and UTSA have been among those SLC non-football members who have suggested it recently or even done some investigating. Now, we have a remark from Lamar AD Billy Tubbs on his radio show, courtesy of the Lamar Fans Board in which he suggests football could be coming back in the near future...

From what I understand it has been talked about in the last half dozen years or so, but they have been unable to determine if they could come up with the amount of money that would be needed to restart the program and do the extensive renovations that would be needed to Cardinal Stadium.

Doc

Green Cookie Monster
February 1st, 2006, 08:13 AM
It would be nice to see football again at Lamar and UT-Arlington. Isn't Arlington a little further along in their football revival assessment?

Freightliner
February 1st, 2006, 11:50 AM
I was a member of Lamar's 1989 team.

Lamar is going to have to spend a LOT to renovate Cardinal Stadium/Higgins Fieldhouse and do a few other MAJOR things for the old red/white to come back.

I have been hearing reports for years now that Lamar would be bringing back football but with declining enrollment/donations there I doubt it will ever come back.

UTA has a better chance with their infrastructure/facilities to bring it back than Lamar does.

txstman
February 1st, 2006, 03:58 PM
If this ever did come about the biggest hit to an SLC school would be McNeese who constantly recruits the Beaumont and Coastal Bend region and scores some winners there. You figure Lamar would have to use that area as their stepping stool and to keep people close to home.

dirtbag
February 2nd, 2006, 02:07 PM
If this ever did come about the biggest hit to an SLC school would be McNeese who constantly recruits the Beaumont and Coastal Bend region and scores some winners there. You figure Lamar would have to use that area as their stepping stool and to keep people close to home.

I can't understand why anyone who grew up in Beaumont would want to stay there.

McNeese75
February 2nd, 2006, 03:48 PM

Nawwwwwwwww, we would just shift our focus a little further west and start harvesting out of your fields ;)