PDA

View Full Version : Montana inks another speedster.

Ronbo
February 1st, 2006, 01:43 AM
CB Gramayne McElroy, 2005 backup (#2 on depth chart) at Arizona. This guy ran an electronically timed sub-4.3. Returns kicks too. Left UA because he was stuck behind an All Pac 10 CB who's also a Sophmore. Stuck that in because someone always asks why the guy left his previous team. In this case he wants to play more, no trouble involved.

McElroy Bio (http://www.arizonaathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=8102&SPID=516&DB_OEM_ID=1600&ATCLID=66443&Q_SEASON=2005)

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sportgallery/051029football/images/OSUfoot102905DP020.jpg
McElroy returning a kick against Oregon State.

umassfan
February 1st, 2006, 02:21 AM
Correct me if im wrong but in football arent there two CBs who start? So if hes stuck behind one person who is an All league kid and the other kid isnt why cant he beat out the second CB if he is so good?

Grizo406
February 1st, 2006, 03:02 AM
Correct me if im wrong but in football arent there two CBs who start? So if hes stuck behind one person who is an All league kid and the other kid isnt why cant he beat out the second CB if he is so good?

Not sure I understand the point of this insightful question, other than to make me that much more thankful that I live out West.

nlwwln
February 1st, 2006, 03:13 AM
montana is turnin into transfer U

Grizo406
February 1st, 2006, 03:28 AM

And your school is doing what with it's football program?

nlwwln
February 1st, 2006, 03:37 AM
nothing, i dont expect them to ever be anything but lackluster. On the other hand Ill say it again... montana is turning into transfer U

Grizo406
February 1st, 2006, 03:56 AM
nothing, i dont expect them to ever be anything but lackluster. On the other hand Ill say it again... montana is turning into transfer U

You can say it again, and again, and yet...again, just like Marshall did in '96, and what did that get them, huh?

nlwwln
February 1st, 2006, 04:27 AM
team with the most talent wins the NC not the most transfers, montana has a good as shot as any, im actually kinda fond of what montana has goin for them up there. great program and facility

umassfan
February 1st, 2006, 05:03 AM
Not sure I understand the point of this insightful question, other than to make me that much more thankful that I live out West.
My point is saying that he couldnt see the field as a DB because he played behind a great player means nothing... there are 2 sometimes 3 CBs on the field at once and he still didnt play... the person who posted this said he didnt play because of the great player in front of him. And you are thankful you life out west why? Did you not check my location if it was a dig on me? Again a fool... :nono:

nlwwln
February 1st, 2006, 05:14 AM
My point is saying that he couldnt see the field as a DB because he played behind a great player means nothing... there are 2 sometimes 3 CBs on the field at once and he still didnt play... the person who posted this said he didnt play because of the great player in front of him. And you are thankful you life out west why? Did you not check my location if it was a dig on me? Again a fool... :nono:

he got you on this one grizo

UNH 40
February 1st, 2006, 06:32 AM
I wonder if the number of transfers that this team is embracing will hurt team chemistry. All of these new guys coming in are just going to take over some guys position who has worked damn hard for it. I wouldn't be to happy about it thats for sure. But i will say that if they all pan out that teams going to be really tough to beat.

Tailbone
February 1st, 2006, 07:18 AM
I wonder if the number of transfers that this team is embracing will hurt team chemistry. All of these new guys coming in are just going to take over some guys position who has worked damn hard for it. I wouldn't be to happy about it thats for sure. But i will say that if they all pan out that teams going to be really tough to beat.

Chemistry shouldn't be significantly affected, and every player should be aware that each year will require winning their "spot". The Griz are a young team and any players likely to be displaced have only started for a year. 3 of 4 transfers will have more than a year of eligibility remaining and that should allow time to "fit in" rather than "drop in". As for UMassFan's question......CB is typically the most difficult position to fill with talent (at any level) due to the serious athleticism required to be effective. Most "good" CBs have no trouble finding positions in 1A and it is rare to find a top notch CB at the I-AA level (feel free to disagree but it's true, also note the use of the word "rare" - not impossible). Gramayne McElroy was PAC10 POW at least once (as a frosh)....that's indicative of some talent and has the potential for significant impact at the I-AA level.

Ronbo
February 1st, 2006, 10:45 AM

You can call us that if you want. We average about 4 a year and that's now 4 this year. Because of the lack of I-AA's out West we get contacted by dozens of kids looking to drop down. The Coaches try to be selective and fill a need or if the kid is just really talented they can't turn them down. Looks like McElroy might have fallen into our laps so to speak.

To answer another question regarding the CB situation at Arizona, who knows what might be going on there. But here are the facts, both #2's left the program, McElroy to Montana and it looks like Beach might end up at MSU. There is something rotten in Tucson.

A side note: Our dropdowns are usually good students and not trouble makers, so the Coaches don't allow that and are picky.

Griz Grunt
February 1st, 2006, 11:16 AM
My point is saying that he couldnt see the field as a DB because he played behind a great player means nothing... there are 2 sometimes 3 CBs on the field at once and he still didnt play...

...that makes sense. Alright, who hijacked umassfan's account? :smiley_wi

Ronbo
February 1st, 2006, 11:30 AM
For the folks that critisize transfers here's a good article about recruiting. Although this is probably written about I-A programs it's interesting that the number one item or step one is recruiting JUCOS. Which in I-AA would be recruiting JUCOS or Dropdowns.

"Step One: Hit the JUCO ranks hard for depth
When doing anything requiring speculation, whether it be recruiting, drafting, stock analysis or ordering Chinese food, the key is eliminating as many elements of chance as possible. When you recruit a high school prospect, you have to hope he can immediately get used to the collegiate life, you have to put him in a college weight room and get him to add 15 pounds of muscle, and then you have to hope he can actually play as he matures. When going after a JUCO player, you get a kid that you know is already used to collegiate life, has at least two years of maturity on high school prospects, and is more likely to be able to play right away. Essentially, you know what you're getting with a JUCO player. While you might not always get superstars and you have to go hard after the top high school talent, you'll get a nice base to provide some decent depth. However, you can't succeed long term without getting good high school talents that you can develop."

Recruiting 2006 (http://collegefootballnews.com/2006/Recruiting/Recruiting_101.htm)

ChickenMan
February 1st, 2006, 12:05 PM
Transfers have always been and will remain a part of I-AA football... Montana probably takes mo more than most I-AA programs... but because they are a very successful 'high profile' I-AA program... transfers are a problem??? Funny how 'transfers' are never an issue for the poor and mediocre I-AA programs.

TulsaBobcat
February 1st, 2006, 12:22 PM
..........both #2's left the program, McElroy to Montana and it looks like Beach might end up at MSU.

Michael Beach is at Montana State. He enrolled for the Spring semester.