PDA

View Full Version : If South Carolina State runs the table.....

SCSUDog4Life
September 27th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Which is highly likely given they have nothing but conference games left, where do they end up in the polls at the end of the regular season and do they finally get an opportunity to host a home game in the first round of the playoffs???

RabidRabbit
September 27th, 2010, 05:40 PM
For my xtwocentsx, SCSU would be between 6-9 with that 10-1 record, and because of the attendance, yes, SCSU would host a first round, likely against a #3-5 CAA, or SoCon team.

Although, if those teams are named Delaware, or GA Southern, SCSU'd probably be traveling. Important to note that would be playing first round, not getting a bye.

This year should be an opportune year for the Bulldogs to get a play-off W. xthumbsupx

Dblue
September 27th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I'm speechless.xrotatehx

Saint3333
September 27th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Before you read the rest, know that I am mostly joking but after thinking about it, it may be brilliant.

If I were you guys I'd lose another game and try to finish outside the top 12. Stay with me now. Then pray that ASU, Delaware, and GSU all finish in the top 12, that way SCSU is guaranteed to get a home game due to attendance vs. the other likely teams within driving distance of Orangeburg. This will provide SCSU that home game they have long deserved and also provide them a game to keep them fresh while a team with a bye may become rusty for the 1st full round of the playoffs. Just don't make that team ASU, for our sake ;-).

Just make sure the conference loss isn't to the 2nd place MEAC program, now that my friends is a strategy.

Mountaineer
September 27th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Highly unlikely for the Dawgs to get a seed running through the MEAC. It is possible to host a first round game, however. Just have your AD pull out the wallet because that's all the NCAA cares about.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/7743/hundredsinwallet.jpg

PhoenixSupreme
September 27th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I'd say SCSU could be a #5-6 team (in my poll) if they run the table and some teams ahead of them lose, but in the end SCSU will probably end up playing at App again. Although I do agree they definitely deserve a home game based on their success over the past few years (I know only this season has merit), and attendance

BlueHenSinfonian
September 27th, 2010, 08:36 PM
With my only MEAC experience being Del State, I just assumed other MEAC facilities were similar, but wow, SC State actually has some nice digs, and could pretty easily support a playoff game.

Now whether or not winning the MEAC should result in a home playoff game is another story. SC State did put on a good show vs App State the last time they had the chance, but the MEAC has never been strong in the post season, or in OOC competition against non-HBCU Div I schools.

GaSouthern
September 27th, 2010, 09:47 PM
For my xtwocentsx, SCSU would be between 6-9 with that 10-1 record, and because of the attendance, yes, SCSU would host a first round, likely against a #3-5 CAA, or SoCon team.

Although, if those teams are named Delaware, or GA Southern, SCSU'd probably be traveling. Important to note that would be playing first round, not getting a bye.

This year should be an opportune year for the Bulldogs to get a play-off W. xthumbsupx

First off it is way too early for GSU fans to be thinking playoffs but the chances of hosting SCST would be great, GSU fans have been wanting to play them for some time because they are a great school with lots of football tradition and are only "just down the street" from us!

BlueHenSinfonian
September 27th, 2010, 10:35 PM
First off it is way too early for GSU fans to be thinking playoffs but the chances of hosting SCST would be great, GSU fans have been wanting to play them for some time because they are a great school with lots of football tradition and are only "just down the street" from us!

I think GaSou should be in the top 10 right now, or at least the top 15. Strong wins against CC and Elon, and a strong game played against Navy show some talent then. I think we'll see GaSou in the playoffs this year.

mikebigg
September 28th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Highly unlikely for the Dawgs to get a seed running through the MEAC. It is possible to host a first round game, however. Just have your AD pull out the wallet because that's all the NCAA cares about.

Disclaimer: Although the comments are the same as those expressed by me in the past, MB does not know, has not met, or did not in any way through monetary exchange or promise of same, influence this poster to state what I have long cited as my reasoning for opposing the NCAA rip off...er, I mean playoffs!

3rd Coast Tiger
September 28th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Disclaimer: Although the comments are the same as those expressed by me in the past, MB does not know, has not met, or did not in any way through monetary exchange or promise of same, influence this poster to state what I have long cited as my reasoning for opposing the NCAA rip off...er, I mean playoffs!

Spoken been ever have words truer no.

RabidRabbit
September 28th, 2010, 08:32 AM

Along with the attendence issue from my first post on the subject, I forgot to state the tithing requirement (sacrificial offering) to the football gods (NCAA) xreadx

IMHO, SCSU will be an AQ, with a top 6 attendence, but the type of SOS that will not land them in the seeds, or a first round bye. It would be nice if they didn't get paired with a SoCon/CAA-south for the first round, but unfortunately, the Big South, Patriot, NEC, OVC #2 will be served up to the CAA/SoCon teams.

UNH Fanboi
September 28th, 2010, 08:34 AM
If Furman makes the playoffs, wouldn't that be a natural match-up for SCSU., and one that they could outbid?

Touchdown Yosef
September 28th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I would love to see SC State get a home game, I would really prefer that App not have to play them again. You have built a fine program down there and if your athletic department makes a good bid I don't see any reason that you couldn't host a game. It will of course all depend on your bid and who is around you that you would be bidding against not so much the merit of your rankings.

3rd Coast Tiger
September 28th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Good Luck Bulldogs!

JMUNJ08
September 28th, 2010, 08:49 AM
If Furman makes the playoffs, wouldn't that be a natural match-up for SCSU., and one that they could outbid?

If JMU falls to the middle of the pack in the CAA South (7-4 should get us in) and no stadium for a home game then maybe we would travel there???? Its 432 miles which is outside the NCAA guidelines but you know they would love to stretch that...

mikebigg
September 28th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Good Luck Bulldogs!

Maybe their AD needs to start a fundraising campaign (I'm being serious) among the Alums to raise the money for the bid. I would think that with all those guys who mentioned how much they favored the Playoffs over the Legacy Bowl, they shouldn't have a problem coming up with the Cash to make an attractive enuff bid.

3rd Coast Tiger
September 28th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Maybe their AD needs to start a fundraising campaign (I'm being serious) among the Alums to raise the money for the bid. I would think that with all those guys who mentioned how much they favored the Playoffs over the Legacy Bowl, they shouldn't have a problem coming up with the Cash to make an attractive enuff bid.

Your on to something mike (as usual). I think they can raise the entire bid amount for the first, second and third round by homecoming.

mikebigg
September 28th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Your on to something mike (as usual). I think they can raise the entire bid amount for the first, second and third round by homecoming.

Sounds like a plan to me... Maybe sell T-Shirts with a Slogan like "Help Us Stay Home for the Playoffs!" and sell them for $25 each. Fans get to contribute and keep a souvenir.

PhoenixSupreme
September 28th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Sounds like a plan to me... Maybe sell T-Shirts with a Slogan like "Help Us Stay Home for the Playoffs!" and sell them for $25 each. Fans get to contribute and keep a souvenir.

raffle for something like season tix or box seats, or an awesome tailgate package. Raffles are always good

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 28th, 2010, 12:36 PM

If SCSU is ranked somewhere in the #6-9 range, then they should have a bye for the first round. Remember this year the first round is for the bottom eight teams. Now when it comes to the second round, who else makes the playoffs and gets seeded (five teams this year) will dictate whether SCSU gets a home game. Any seeded team within the bus ride mileage threshold hurts their chances. Having a Big South team and/or a SoCon team win in the opening round, who could then go to the SoCon seed, would help their chances of getting a home game in the second round. xtwocentsx

One new dynamic in this year's playoffs that I'm waiting to see is if the committee will match up conference mates in the second round when one team has won in the first round. That's how the regs read. Personally, I'd perfer they didn't do that, but we know that $$$$$$ rules the roost and we'll probably see it when it is a bus game.

WestCoastAggie
September 28th, 2010, 12:54 PM

SCSU's Booster Club was able to raise about $75K within a relatively short timespan for help with summer school I believe. Raising funds for a successful bid wouldn't be an issue and probably would start that process pending the results of their game this sat at FAMU.

WestCoastAggie
September 28th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I am also expecting to see SCSU/App. St. III in Boone this postseason.

WileECoyote06
September 28th, 2010, 02:07 PM
The newest prediction from the Sports Network has SCSU traveling to Montana State. Doesn't make much sense, especially with them having Richmond, Liberty, and Furman in the first round. They also predict that Stephen F Austin will travel to Montana and that E. Washington will be in the second round.

I'm not quite sure I understand how this set up is beneficial to teams. Teams that host in the first round, will be ranked lower than some teams that will go on the road in the second round. I'd rather have a home game, than a bye.

From what I'm reading, a team can bid themselves into the first round, so they can host a game. If that's the case, this playoff is going to be horribly unfair to somebody. I wish they would just go back to seeding.

UNH Fanboi
September 28th, 2010, 02:10 PM
From what I'm reading, a team can bid themselves into the first round, so they can host a game. If that's the case, this playoff is going to be horribly unfair to somebody. I wish they would just go back to seeding.

Source?? It is my understanding that (in theory at least) bidding will only effect who gets home games, not who gets byes.

WileECoyote06
September 28th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Source?? It is my understanding that (in theory at least) bidding will only effect who gets home games, not who gets byes.

Just speculation based on the projections. I shouldn't have said, 'From What I'm Reading'. As I understand it, they will seed the top five and then pick seven more to receive a bye, correct? Then the bottom eight will have to play in the first round.

So won't the bottom eight only have to bid against each other? While the top twelve will be bidding against the next seven AND technically the top 5, since they don't determine the seeds until the brackets are released. Hell, I'm confusing myself. lol

UNH Fanboi
September 28th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Just speculation based on the projections. I shouldn't have said, 'From What I'm Reading'. As I understand it, they will seed the top five and then pick seven more to receive a bye, correct? Then the bottom eight will have to play in the first round.

So won't the bottom eight only have to bid against each other? While the top twelve will be bidding against the next seven AND technically the top 5, since they don't determine the seeds until the brackets are released. Hell, I'm confusing myself. lol

My understanding is that the order of operations will be:

1. Pick the 5 seeds
2. Pick the other 7 teams that will get byes based on merit
3. Pick the remaining 8
4. Matchup teams based on reducing travel costs
5. Once the matchups are made, open the bids to determine who gets home field.

One thing I would like to know is whether there will be a rule against teams from the same conference playing against each other in the round of 16 either (a) as a result of winning a play in game, or (b) as a result of being matched up in the round of 16 from the beginning.

WileECoyote06
September 28th, 2010, 02:34 PM

1. Pick the 5 seeds
3. Pick the remaining 8

One thing I would like to know is whether there will be a rule against teams from the same conference playing against each other in the round of 16 either (a) as a result of winning a play in game, or (b) as a result of being matched up in the round of 16 from the beginning.

Okay. . . I was missing the set the matchup by geography first. That makes more sense. I think it's the Haley prediction that makes little sense. In his projection he has JMU and UMass playing in the round of 16. He also predicts that the CAA will get six bids. Is that possible?

Aho_Old_Guy
September 28th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Lynchburg to Orangeburg: 342 miles

Battle of The 'Burgs, baby!

It really too early with too many alternatives. The committee is going to have their hands full this year. Will the Dawgs get a bye? How will they look at the play-in round and the BS/MEAC AQs based upon past history, etc ...?

Will Coastal or Chuck South throw a Hail Mary into the Fightin' Falwells playoff hopes? How might The Vermin and The Real GSU play into a potential 1st round game with the Dawgs? Anklebiters, anyone? Will Appalachian stink up the SoCon, and then travel to Orangeburg this year after SCSt raises a bunch of cash and pays off the NCAA?

Stay tuned, and good luck to the Bulldogs. On behalf of the Appalachian family, we have no desire to tangle with yahs again this year!

Big Dawg
September 28th, 2010, 08:38 PM
IF they run the table...pay attention to the FAMU/Scsu game this weekend in Tallahassee. It's always a close one in Bragg Stadium.

JMUNJ08
September 28th, 2010, 11:08 PM
IF they run the table...pay attention to the FAMU/Scsu game this weekend in Tallahassee. It's always a close one in Bragg Stadium.

After the way Florida A&M played this weekend, I wouldn't think this should be close...

bosshogg
September 29th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Lynchburg to Orangeburg: 342 miles

Battle of The 'Burgs, baby!

It really too early with too many alternatives. The committee is going to have their hands full this year. Will the Dawgs get a bye? How will they look at the play-in round and the BS/MEAC AQs based upon past history, etc ...?

Will Coastal or Chuck South throw a Hail Mary into the Fightin' Falwells playoff hopes? How might The Vermin and The Real GSU play into a potential 1st round game with the Dawgs? Anklebiters, anyone? Will Appalachian stink up the SoCon, and then travel to Orangeburg this year after SCSt raises a bunch of cash and pays off the NCAA?

Stay tuned, and good luck to the Bulldogs. On behalf of the Appalachian family, we have no desire to tangle with yahs again this year!

Nor do we! Although other than the loss of course, I have had a great time in Boone both years....

Big Dawg
September 29th, 2010, 07:36 AM
After the way Florida A&M played this weekend, I wouldn't think this should be close...

True...but Tennessee State had a lot of emotion behind the win. It was a rivalry game and they hadn't beaten us in 9 years. We played like crap, but FAMU really isn't as bad as we played on Saturday.

I do think Scsu has the strongest team in the MEAC, but I don't think it's gonna be a cakewalk for them this Saturday. The last two meetings in Tallahassee were decided by the same score...Scsu won both games 28-21.

appfan2008
September 29th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I really hope we dont get SCSU again this year... they are good and enough is enough...

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 29th, 2010, 08:44 AM

1. Pick the 5 seeds
3. Pick the remaining 8

My memory from reading about the new 20 team playoffs during the Summer is that teams from the same conference could meet in the round of 16 as long as it wasn't the first game for both teams. Two league members who both got byes could not meet, but a team that wins a first round game could meet a team with a bye.

You know it's going to happen too if bus games evolve after the first round. The NC$$ will jump at the opportunity for those bus games. xtwocentsx

superman7515
October 2nd, 2010, 08:33 PM
Will the game against Bethune-Cookman be the one that trips up SC State? BC has laid 70, 42, 21, and 69 points in their games so far. Next up, they're probably laying another 60 on DelState in the tuneup game for SC State. Could be a good one.

Big Dawg
October 2nd, 2010, 09:48 PM
Will the game against Bethune-Cookman be the one that trips up SC State? BC has laid 70, 42, 21, and 69 points in their games so far. Next up, they're probably laying another 60 on DelState in the tuneup game for SC State. Could be a good one.

After watching SCSU play us tonight...BCU could probably pull of the upset