PDA

View Full Version : CS.com Week 4 Poll

danefan
September 27th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Since TT dropped a note on this in the TSN thread, I figured I'd post it here for discussion so as not to hijack the TSN thread.

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/2010/09/cs-fcs-top-25-football-poll-week-4-9272010/ (http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/2010/09/cs-fcs-top-25-football-poll-week-4-9272010/)

Week 4 | 9/27/2010
1. Appalachian State Mountaineers
2. Villanova Wildcats
3. James Madison Dukes
4. Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens
5. Jacksonville State Gamecocks
6. Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks
7. Massachusetts Minutemen
8. William & Mary Tribe
9. Texas State Bobcats
10. Montana State Bobcats
11. South Carolina State Bulldogs
12. Cal Poly Mustangs
13. Georgia Southern Eagles
14. Youngstown State Penguins
15. Richmond Spiders
16. Furman Paladins
17. North Dakota State Bison
18. Northern Iowa Panthers
19. Eastern Washington Eagles
20. New Hampshire Wildcats
21. Montana Grizzlies
22. Illinois State Redbirds
23. Western Illinois Leathernecks
24. Liberty Flames
25. Central Arkansas Bears

Next 10 receiving points
Northern Arizona Lumberjacks, Southeast Missouri State Redhawks, Elon Phoenix, South Dakota Coyotes, Wofford Terriers, Sacramento State Hornets, South Dakota State Jackrabbits, Robert Morris Colonials, Southern Illinois Salukis, Chattanooga Mocs

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2010, 02:34 PM
As I've told the TXST fans - I voted them in my top 25, but to put you top 10 at this point is tough to justify. A win against Southern Utah and another against Cal Poly. What else have you done for me? The guys at CS.com who put TXST in the top 10 would have to defend their voting.

I'd rank the following teams ahead of TXST without second-guessing... this puts TXST outside the top 10... James Madison, Delaware, UMass, Villanova, Appalachian State, North Dakota State, South Carolina State, Jacksonville State, William & Mary, Stephen F. Austin, Montana State

And I'm willing to justify each one of them... and why they are better than TXST based on results available presently... a few others who I'm sure could be added, but these are those without thinking twice...

SM_Bobcat
September 27th, 2010, 02:38 PM
As I've told the TXST fans - I voted them in my top 25, but to put you top 10 at this point is tough to justify. A win against Southern Utah and another against Cal Poly. What else have you done for me? The guys at CS.com who put TXST in the top 10 would have to defend their voting.

I'd rank the following teams ahead of TXST without second-guessing... this puts TXST outside the top 10... James Madison, Delaware, UMass, Villanova, Appalachian State, North Dakota State, South Carolina State, Jacksonville State, William & Mary, Stephen F. Austin, Montana State

And I'm willing to justify each one of them... and why they are better than TXST based on results available presently... a few others who I'm sure could be added, but these are those without thinking twice...

I certainly don't disagree with what you. No way we should be ranked ahead of those teams. But after those teams, I don't know who else I would put ahead of us.

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I certainly don't disagree with what you. No way we should be ranked ahead of those teams. But after those teams, I don't know who else I would put ahead of us.

There a few teams that are neck-and-neck with you guys from the 'best of the rest'...

Illinois State (3-1) - lone loss to N'western, beat South Dakota State on the road and topped a Missouri State team that was started to break into the top 25
Youngstown State (3-1) - reputation helps, lone loss to FBS Penn State, strength of schedule is weak though (advantage TXST)
Western Illinois (3-1) - very similar situation to YSU - no real good wins
SEMO (3-1) - two road wins including perennially tough Southern Illinois, lone loss to FBS, 2-0 in OVC already
Georgia Southern (3-1) - beat Elon, road win at Big South favorite (on AGS at least) Coastal Carolina, loss to FBS Navy by six
Furman (2-1) - convincing wins over Colgate and The Citadel, loss to FBS

TXST would probably rank No. 2 or No. 3 of this group - may have missed a school or two...

SM_Bobcat
September 27th, 2010, 03:08 PM
There a few teams that are neck-and-neck with you guys from the 'best of the rest'...

Illinois State (3-1) - lone loss to N'western, beat South Dakota State on the road and topped a Missouri State team that was started to break into the top 25
Youngstown State (3-1) - reputation helps, lone loss to FBS Penn State, strength of schedule is weak though (advantage TXST)
Western Illinois (3-1) - very similar situation to YSU - no real good wins
SEMO (3-1) - two road wins including perennially tough Southern Illinois, lone loss to FBS, 2-0 in OVC already
Georgia Southern (3-1) - beat Elon, road win at Big South favorite (on AGS at least) Coastal Carolina, loss to FBS Navy by six
Furman (2-1) - convincing wins over Colgate and The Citadel, loss to FBS

TXST would probably rank No. 2 or No. 3 of this group - may have missed a school or two...

I said that I Would put ahead of us, not that couldn't be put ahead of us.
Illinois State - The ONLY reason that I would rank us ahead of them, is IMHO Cal Poly at home is a more impressive win than South Dakota State on the road.
Youngstown State - As you said, strength of schedule is to our advantage.
Western Illinois - Once again, strength of schedule is why I would put us ahead
SEMO - I still think beating Cal Poly is the more impressive victory than any of theirs
Georgia Southern - Still think beating Cal Poly is the more impressive Victory.
Furman - Still think beating Cal Poly is the more impressive Victory.

Not saying that a good arguement couldn't be made for any of those teams. But, none of those teams other than Georgia Southern has beaten a team currently ranked in the AGS poll. IMHO, beating a ranked team, and a team that out played and barely lost to TWO FBS teams (Southern Utah), tops those teams schedules.

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Not saying that a good arguement couldn't be made for any of those teams. But, none of those teams other than Georgia Southern has beaten a team currently ranked in the AGS poll. IMHO, beating a ranked team, and a team that out played and barely lost to TWO FBS teams (Southern Utah), tops those teams schedules.

I have a tough time including "barely lost to TWO FBS teams" - close calls against FBS schools are nice, but unless you beat them - is there really anything to it? We all know our FCS schools treat that as a big game, want to beat a school who over-looked our talent, etc - so teams are more than likely to play up a notch. If they can finish the deal, that's another thing.

Illinois State - The ONLY reason that I would rank us ahead of them, is IMHO Cal Poly at home is a more impressive win than South Dakota State on the road.

I am not sure what I make of it...

Cal Poly at home or South Dakota State on the road

Cal Poly did fly halfway across the country to face TXST and let's keep in mind, they were coming off a big victory over Montana - so ready for a let down.

South Dakota State may be 0-3, but they've played FBS Nebraska (very tough mind you) and a top-tier Delaware team (on the road) along with Illinois State. It was the home opener and let's not forget - a conference game.

It's a tough call... but I'd side with SDSU on the road. The conference game and home opener is the difference...

SM_Bobcat
September 27th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I have a tough time including "barely lost to TWO FBS teams" - close calls against FBS schools are nice, but unless you beat them - is there really anything to it? We all know our FCS schools treat that as a big game, want to beat a school who over-looked our talent, etc - so teams are more than likely to play up a notch. If they can finish the deal, that's another thing.

I am not sure what I make of it...

Cal Poly at home or South Dakota State on the road

Cal Poly did fly halfway across the country to face TXST and let's keep in mind, they were coming off a big victory over Montana - so ready for a let down.

South Dakota State may be 0-3, but they've played FBS Nebraska (very tough mind you) and a top-tier Delaware team (on the road) along with Illinois State. It was the home opener and let's not forget - a conference game.

It's a tough call... but I'd side with SDSU on the road. The conference game and home opener is the difference...

I never said, that beating Cal Poly at home, was obviously the easier game. But, IMHO I will take beating the ranked team. If you don't put any credience in FBS games, if you don't win, that is your poragative. Personally out playing BOTH Wyoming and San Jose State despite losing in impressive. I wouldn't say it is near top 25 impressive, but it is impressive enough to still be considered a quality win. Keep in mind, that last week in the TSN poll, they were the 50th best team, 47th in AGS, and 43rd in the Coaches Poll despite being 1-2 on the season....

Col Hogan
September 27th, 2010, 06:56 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/2010/09/cs-fcs-top-25-football-poll-week-4-9272010/

2. Villanova Wildcats
3. James Madison Dukes
8. William & Mary Tribe
9. Texas State Bobcats
12. Cal Poly Mustangs
15. Richmond Spiders
16. Furman Paladins
21. Montana Grizzlies
24. Liberty Flames

Next 10 receiving points
Northern Arizona Lumberjacks, Southeast Missouri State Redhawks, Elon Phoenix, South Dakota Coyotes, Wofford Terriers, Sacramento State Hornets, South Dakota State Jackrabbits, Robert Morris Colonials, Southern Illinois Salukis, Chattanooga Mocs

CopperCat
September 27th, 2010, 07:35 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/2010/09/cs-fcs-top-25-football-poll-week-4-9272010/

2. Villanova Wildcats
3. James Madison Dukes
8. William & Mary Tribe
9. Texas State Bobcats
12. Cal Poly Mustangs
15. Richmond Spiders
16. Furman Paladins
21. Montana Grizzlies
24. Liberty Flames

Next 10 receiving points

No way App should be #1. #2, maybe, #3-#5 makes more sense (AGS got it right!).

UM is right where they should be at 21. Their defense of late has been horrid and their offense is less than stellar. Part of me is thinking that maybe their poll positions are being inflated so that the NCAA can make some more money off of them come playoff time (sorry griz, no smack intended). On a side note, one of the players was quoted on the Kalispell news as saying "once we fix this, that, and the other, look at because we will be good." Well, I'll believe that when I see it.

They have Texas St. and Poly in their proper order, but Poly is still too high.

YSU looks a little fishy @ #14.