PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Week 4 Predictions

biggie
September 27th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Someone edit title to be Week 5, I was reading to many old week 4 threads.

Saw a power ranking, but no prediction thread, so...

Samford @ Elon
Furman @ Wofford
Western Carolina @ The Citadel
ASU, Georgia Southern, Chattanooga - Bye Week

I'll take:
Elon - Desparate and unless Samford corrects a lot from this past game, then this won't be close
Furman - Maybe a close game, at least early
The Citadel - Offense looked decent, if they can control the turnovers. This may be the closest game of the week.

GSUhooligan
September 27th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Saw a power ranking, but no prediction thread, so...

Samford @ Elon
Furman @ Wofford
ASU, Georgia Southern, Chattanooga - Bye Week

I'll take:
Elon - Desparate and unless Samford corrects a lot from this past game, then this won't be close
Furman - Maybe a close game, at least early
The Citadel - Offense looked decent, if they can control the turnovers. This may be the cloests game of the week.

X2

Mntneer
September 27th, 2010, 01:20 PM
In order of decreasing confidence:

Furman over Wofford
Elon over Samford
WCU over The Citadel

SpeedkingATL
September 27th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Samford @ Elon- With game being played at Elon and with Elon already with its playoff life on the line this is a must game for them. Sammy's pass defense was rather poor against both Newberry and App and against App their ground game, even with Evans looked pedestrian. Elon wins at home.
Furman @ Wofford - Furman is playing some of the best football in the SoCon and the Ankle-biters still don't appear to be firing on all cylinders. Furman should win and win big but the Terriers have a way of surprising teams at home. Furman should win but something (I don't know what) says go with Woffie in an upset.
Western Carolina @ The Citadel- This is shaping up to be the battle for the cellar. The Dogs have actually played better than projected and WCU has lost to a DII yet beat a respectable G-W team on the road. Cats should win at home but I believe the Dogs will chase the Kitties out of Whitmire to avoid the cellar in the SoCon this year.

OL FU
September 27th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Furman over Wofford by 7. Wofford's fans seem to be real pissed about last year. I can only imagine their team is too.

Elon over Samford - I think Elon shakes it off and takes this one by 14.

The Citadel over WCU - Honestly I have no clue so I will go with the team I have seen.

Eaglegus2
September 27th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I may travel to Spartanburg to see this game. What time does it start?

Woof
September 27th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Furman over Wofford by 7. Wofford's fans seem to be real pissed about last year. I can only imagine their team is too.

Elon over Samford - I think Elon shakes it off and takes this one by 14.

The Citadel over WCU - Honestly I have no clue so I will go with the team I have seen.

1) We are pissed, but not sure that will do it against Lamb's Lavender Losers (LLL) who saw the triple option last week, too. Our O is better than El Cid's, but our pass defense is still a wet paper bag...My heart and gut say Terriers, but my wallet would disagree. Oh, what the hell. Wofford 34- Furples 28

2) Flaming Pigeons over Sammy 28-14

3) Citadel's execution of the TO is improving as evidenced by 340 yds against LLL last week. Who knows which Catamount team will show, but they seem to have El Cid's # on occasion and home field. WCU 14 Cid 10.

OL FU
September 27th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I may travel to Spartanburg to see this game. What time does it start?

1:30 PM I believe. I am waiting to see if I can make it or not. But if I do and you do, we need to meet before you return to the smallest minded town

sav eagle34
September 27th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I believe the wife has to work this weekend, so I may make this one. What's the best area for parking? Is it all pay spots?

Woof
September 27th, 2010, 03:52 PM
What's the best area for parking? Is it all pay spots?

It all depends on who your pulling for. If you are pulling for Wofford, I would say use the grass lot behind the new scoreboard (currency required). If you are pulling for Furples, then take I-85 to Greenville and stop when you see the new Buddist temple that used to look like a Baptist church and colonies of fairies frolicking on the lawn in purple tie-dye shirts. (no charge- just don't feed or photograph them).

Woof
September 27th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Furman @ Wofford
....but something (I don't know what) says go with Woffie in an upset.

xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

OL FU
September 27th, 2010, 04:27 PM
It all depends on who your pulling for. If you are pulling for Wofford, I would say use the grass lot behind the new scoreboard (currency required). If you are pulling for Furples, then take I-85 to Greenville and stop when you see the new Buddist temple that used to look like a Baptist church and colonies of fairies frolicking on the lawn in purple tie-dye shirts. (no charge- just don't feed or photograph them).

xlolx Would you please stop nipping at my anklesxrolleyesxxlolx

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 27th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Samford @ Elon - Samford is on the road to face a team that is on life support. Elon is clearly a better team than their record would indicate.
Furman @ Wofford - This should be a good game but Furman has the better team at this point.
Western Carolina @ The Citadel - WCU surprised The Citadel last year. Since their loss to Tusculum, they have gotten their act together of sorts (W vs. GWU, close L vs. UTC) and I suspect they will improve against The Citadel.

Saint3333
September 27th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Samford @ Elon - Evans finally gets it going with a 100 yard game, however Riddle and Co. pass for 3 TDs and a few FGs. Key to the game - can Samford pressure Riddle, is Elon's offensive line that much weaker in 2010 or is GSU's d-line that good, we'll find out Saturday.

Elon - 27
Samford - 17

Furman @ Wofford - Citadel was able to run on Furman so logic says Wofford will be able to as well. The problem is as noted above WC can't stop a passing attack and Mims in one of the top 3 WRs in the SoCon. Key to the game - how many points can WC score, watch the 3 or 4 pass plays Furmies.

Furman - 31
Wofford - 24

WCU @ Citadel - Will the real WCU please stand up. After losing to a DII school they beat G-Webb (who beat an FBS program) and had a good showing vs. UTC. Citadel surprised me with their rushing yards vs. Furman last week. Note this game is in Chucktown and Citadel always plays better down there. Key to the game - Citadel winning the turnover battle and WCU's ability to run something that resembles an offense.

Citadel - 24
WCU - 20

matfu
September 27th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Furman-Furman I would hope is better than Wofford. But our offense certainly sputtered against Citadel. We may be no better than we were last year. Time will tell.

Elon over Sammy

UTC over Western

blueballs
September 27th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Elon blisters Samford, taking their frustrations out on their Alabammer private school brethren- this of course after undergoing nonstop therapy all week to try to address the psychological damage from the azzwhuppin Georgia Southern gave them.

Furman will beat Wofford, but it will be a decent game. Furman has too many weapons and is too balanced. Wofford may have a chance if the Greater Greenville NAMBLA group calls an impromptu meeting, thereby causing about half of Furman's roster and coaching staff to miss the game.

WCU will win over the wannabe Army boys but it will be a good game. Kinda reminds me of two hogs fighting over a mud hole, they're both ugly and smell like crap and nobody really cares what happens, but it might turn out to be mildly entertaining for a minute or two.

App and Southern win in a rout, Chatty chokes late and loses AGAIN to Bye U.

PaladinFan
September 27th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Elon over Samford:

Both teams have had a dissapointing start to the season. Huge game for both. Win here, and you are sitting with new confidence and are 1-1 in the conference. Neither wants to be 0-2 in the SoCon and yet to play some of the teams coming down the pike. Elon just has more talent, though Samford can make it tough.

The Citadel over Western Carolina:

Another important game for both programs. Both have showed improvement the past few weeks. In the end, though, I think El Cid will lean back on their defense for a close win.

Furman over Wofford:

Furman's defense has been stifiling against FCS competition. They have given up four touchdowns to FCS teams in two games, three of which came in the fourth quarter after the game was already in hand. Wofford needs to come out clicking on offense.

An incredible stat that shows the dramatic turnaround of the Paladin D has been turnovers. Through three games Furman's defense has forced 8 fumbles (recovered 2) and picked off 5 passes. You force turnovers like that and you will win some football games.

Furman is going to need to get the offense started back up again. Post-game comments suggested that the Citadel was double covering Mims and dropping a linemen into the zone in front of him, essentially devoting three players to keep him from catching the ball. All fine and good, but I don't think Worley was ready for that. I'd expect Wofford to take a similar approach and make someone other than Adam Mims beat them.

gsueagle2424
September 27th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Samford @ Elon - Riddle will try to slap a minimum of one puppy in the face. I hate that kid more than anyone else that has played in the SOCON - No Class. You could tell he just gave up on his team about halfway through the 4th quarter. If Samford can rattle his cage, what shouldn't be hard after the arse whooping he took last week they will win.

Furman @ Wofford - Furman proves they are for real this year.

Western Carolina @ Citadel - I really don't know much about these two teams.

Saint3333
September 27th, 2010, 05:11 PM
[U]
Furman's defense has been stifiling against FCS competition.

I agree with the turnovers, but "stifiling" defense I would disagree with. Furman allowed almost 300 yards rushing vs. the Citadel, 50 yards more than their previous three games which includes powerhouses Chowan and PC. Let's wait a few more weeks before throwing out accolades like this.

blueballs
September 27th, 2010, 05:18 PM
I agree with the turnovers, but "stifiling" defense I would disagree with. Furman allowed almost 300 yards rushing vs. the Citadel, 50 yards more than their previous three games which includes powerhouses Chowan and PC. Let's wait a few more weeks before throwing out accolades like this.

Chowan? Chowan??? Are you serious!!!??? What in the h-e-double hockey sticks is a Chowan????

Is that what the president of Georgia Southern does with his teebackee? It sure as heck ain't a football team.

Good lord you bunch of purple barney tinky winky wannabes, I'd be embarrassed to tell anybody I played Chowan. That's just too good!

OL FU
September 27th, 2010, 05:21 PM

I'm not sure it was stifling either but the vast majority of the yards in the Cit game were in the fourth quarter. All of their points in the fourth qtr. Our d was on the field a very long time and it was a hot hot hot day. Final stats were a little misleading. On the other hand, The Citadel hasn't been running the option very long. Wofford has. I don't expect us to shut down Wofford like we did the first three qtrs against the Citadel. In the Citadel game the offense either drove and scored or was three and out. That doesn't need to happen this saturday. If we can't score every drive (which I don't expect we will) we need to at least pick up a couple of first downs to keep the defense off the field.

OL FU
September 27th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Chowan? Chowan??? Are you serious!!!??? What in the h-e-double hockey sticks is a Chowan????

Is that what the president of Georgia Southern does with his teebackee? It sure as heck ain't a football team.

Good lord you bunch of purple barney tinky winky wannabes, I'd be embarrassed to tell anybody I played Chowan. That's just too good!

I will try to be nice. But the Citadel, not FUrman, played Chowan and you are a dumbassxnodx

SU DOG
September 27th, 2010, 05:29 PM
The way that we are playing, Samford probably will lose to Elon. Crazy thing about it, however, is that the individual talent on this Samford Team is better than most of the SoCon could ever imagine. I do not say this looking through red/blue colored glasses either. It is just a FACT. I guess I really can't prove this, however, since the team cannot seem to get it together. Most Bulldog Fans point to our OC as the root of the problem. The schemes(or lack of), play calling, and game management are ridiculous. We may tank the season, I don't know. I would dearly love, however, to see this team play totally up to their potential. xprayx It may not happen, but if it did, believe me, some opponent would pay a BIG price.

AndrewFU21
September 27th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Having been in Paladin Stadium for the Colgate and Citadel games I'd say Furman's defense has certainly been much better than last year. In both games FU's defense set the tone and allowed a combined 7 points through the first three quarters of both games. While Colgate and Citadel scored some points near the end, both times were well after the game had been for all purposes decided. The stats will say that FU is giving up a lot of yards on the ground, but having played 3 opponents that run the ball a lot(and two that run the ball almost exclusively) I'd say the run defense has been quite good actually. Citadel's rushing yardage can partially be attributed to the fact that the Furman defense was on the field for so long, mainly because the offense didn't move the ball consistently.

In any case, to this point FU has handled two lesser opponents and lost to an SEC team, so it's hard to draw too many conclusions. We'll find out more after the trip to Spartanburg this weekend.

Saint3333
September 27th, 2010, 05:59 PM
The way that we are playing, Samford probably will lose to Elon. Crazy thing about it, however, is that the individual talent on this Samford Team is better than most of the SoCon could ever imagine. I do not say this looking through red/blue colored glasses either. It is just a FACT. I guess I really can't prove this, however, since the team cannot seem to get it together. Most Bulldog Fans point to our OC as the root of the problem. The schemes(or lack of), play calling, and game management are ridiculous. We may tank the season, I don't know. I would dearly love, however, to see this team play totally up to their potential. xprayx It may not happen, but if it did, believe me, some opponent would pay a BIG price.

You may be the same poster on the Samford boards complaining about your being out coached vs. ASU. That may be the case, but that Samford fan also claimed that Samford had the same level of talent ASU has, whoever that was definitely had on those glasses you claim to have misplaced. Let's be objective, Samford doesn't have top 3 talent in the SoCon and certainly not the depth.

blueballs
September 27th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I will try to be nice. But the Citadel, not FUrman, played Chowan and you are a dumbassxnodx

That's even better!!!! I could see it now, all the toy soldiers marching into battle to face mighty Chowan!!!!!

While the brave men of the citadel stand poised to defend their honor against mighty Chowan the cadets pride (and other body parts) swell in anticipation of the pitched battle on the gridiron and the soap fumblerooski back in the showers after the great conquest. Good lord...

Chowan???? Again I ask, what is a Chowan? Is that what the bellhops do at meal time??? After lights out in the barracks???

I should have known mighty Furman wouldn't play Chowan, the men of Furman would probably think it is some kind of new Napa Varietal and try to drink it (in a cup to hide it from the uptight bap-tists... can I get an amen?) but the pinky extended is a dead giveaway.

"Oh dear Biff, they're Chowan again, How disgusting!!!!"

OL FU
September 27th, 2010, 06:05 PM
That's even better!!!! I could see it now, all the toy soldiers marching into battle to face mighty Chowan!!!!!

While the brave men of the citadel stand poised to defend their honor against mighty Chowan the cadets pride (and other body parts) swell in anticipation of the pitched battle on the gridiron and the soap fumblerooski back in the showers after the great conquest. Good lord...

Chowan???? Again I ask, what is a Chowan? Is that what the bellhops do at meal time??? After lights out in the barracks???

I should have known mighty Furman wouldn't play Chowan, the men of Furman would probably think it is some kind of new Napa Varietal and try to drink it (in a cup to hide it from the uptight bap-tists... can I get an amen?) but the pinky extended is a dead giveaway.

"Oh dear Biff, they're Chowan again, How disgusting!!!!"

That was funnyxlolx

But you're still a dumbassxsmiley_wix

Mountaineer
September 27th, 2010, 07:01 PM
After the 31-13 beatdown suffered in Bozeman, it's been a rough few years for the Paladin faithful. Hope springs eternal and it appears the flock is back at the alter of St. Lamb. xrotatehx

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/2521/lambalter.jpg

Say three Hail Forci..uh Worleys and your penance shall be complete.

Mountaineer
September 27th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Samford @ Elon
Furman @ Wofford - Much like the UD/JMU tilt this is one of games were you wish for a sinkhole to open beneath the stadium and swallow both teams. xlolx

Mountaineer
September 27th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I believe the wife has to work this weekend, so I may make this one. What's the best area for parking? Is it all pay spots?

Man, the picture in your sig is freakin' epic! xbowx

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/image.php?u=4163&type=sigpic&dateline=1284399745

That a Griz player? 2000 NC game? xlolx

GaSouthern
September 27th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Elon over Sammy by 7
Citadel over WCU by 3
Furman over Wofford by 21, yeah I typed that right, not a knock on Wofford but rather I think FU is for real this year.

GaSouthern
September 27th, 2010, 09:42 PM

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/image.php?u=4163&type=sigpic&dateline=1284399745

+1, i've NEVER seen that picture before!

SoCon48
September 27th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Samford @ Elon - Riddle will try to slap a minimum of one puppy in the face. I hate that kid more than anyone else that has played in the SOCON - No Class. You could tell he just gave up on his team about halfway through the 4th quarter. If Samford can rattle his cage, what shouldn't be hard after the arse whooping he took last week they will win.

Furman @ Wofford - Furman proves they are for real this year.

Western Carolina @ Citadel - I really don't know much about these two teams.

OUCH!!

eaglewraith
September 27th, 2010, 10:56 PM

That would be Ryan Hadden (#12) looking down on the ruin of Jimmy Farris that he smote on the field in the 2000 National Championship game.

seantaylor
September 28th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Eloan 44 Samford 17
Wofford 31 Furman 24
WCU 17 El Chit 14

PaladinFan
September 28th, 2010, 05:28 AM
I'm not sure it was stifling either but the vast majority of the yards in the Cit game were in the fourth quarter. All of their points in the fourth qtr. Our d was on the field a very long time and it was a hot hot hot day. Final stats were a little misleading. On the other hand, The Citadel hasn't been running the option very long. Wofford has. I don't expect us to shut down Wofford like we did the first three qtrs against the Citadel. In the Citadel game the offense either drove and scored or was three and out. That doesn't need to happen this saturday. If we can't score every drive (which I don't expect we will) we need to at least pick up a couple of first downs to keep the defense off the field.

It's not necessarily about yards, but scoring. Furman had elite defenses in 2003, 2004, and 2005 which took the approach of "bend don't break." They'd let you get as many yards you wanted between the 20s, but they buckled down in the redzone. I feel like this year's team has similar qualities. They will let you move the ball, but you aren't going to be scoring.

OL FU
September 28th, 2010, 05:56 AM
It's not necessarily about yards, but scoring. Furman had elite defenses in 2003, 2004, and 2005 which took the approach of "bend don't break." They'd let you get as many yards you wanted between the 20s, but they buckled down in the redzone. I feel like this year's team has similar qualities. They will let you move the ball, but you aren't going to be scoring.

I think we generally agree except for small degrees and slight wording changes.

PaladinFan
September 28th, 2010, 06:44 AM
I think we generally agree except for small degrees and slight wording changes.

I said "stifiling" not "2009 Crimson Tide" :)

sav eagle34
September 28th, 2010, 11:26 AM

Epic picture from an epic game. And I always get some satisfaction when I see it not just because it's an awesome picture from an awesome game, but because I played against 2 of the guys in the picture in high school and never ended up looking that bad!

sav eagle34
September 28th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I guess that since I am in the prediction thread I should contribute to the topic so here goes:

Elon over Samford - If Samford has a decent D I could see this being real close. I normally dont like picking any team that can't/won't (still not sure which of these describes Elon) run the ball, but Elon has enough athletes & I don't think Lembo will let this thing spiral out of control.

Furman over Wofford - Hoping to be able to make this one. If the Furmies are anywhere near as good as I am thinking, then I don't see it being that close. Possibly a 10-17 pt victory.

Citadel over Western - I don't think anyone can definitively say we know what these two teams have & when in doubt I'll take the discipline of the bellhops & their new triple option. Though I could almost as easily see Western putting up some points and winning in a score fest. I'm very very anxious to see how citadel is bringing the option along. I asked in another thread before the season but got no answer so maybe someone can help me here; who is calling the plays for them? I know they got a good coach in Bodine, who is one of our old staff from the halcyon days of P.J., but I don't know much about the others.

OL FU
September 28th, 2010, 01:36 PM

You live in Tryon, we need to have one of our get togethers at the pizza parlor up there. Is it still crowded with all the South CArolina folks on Sunday?

GunsAndGuitars
September 28th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Eloan 21 Samford 24 Elon showed what could be a fatal weakness...9 yards rushing (YES GSU is good, but really???) = one dimensional offense = MY pick for an upset this week
Wofford 24 Furman 35 I hate the furple, but I can't see them losing as quickly as I can see Elon losing
WCU 17 El Chit 28 This one just depends on whether the Mocs give the purple kittens permission to win or not.

longtimemocfan
September 29th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Elon over Samford comfortably.

Furman over Wofford Closer than you think.

WCU over Cit in a toss up low scoring game.

sav eagle34
September 29th, 2010, 02:35 PM
You live in Tryon, we need to have one of our get togethers at the pizza parlor up there. Is it still crowded with all the South CArolina folks on Sunday?

Sidestreet is always packed. Anytime I mention to someone that I live in Tryon, the first thing they say is, "Tryon? ooh I love Sidestreet." It's unreal the name recognition they have being in such a tiny small town.

OL FU
September 29th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Sidestreet is always packed. Anytime I mention to someone that I live in Tryon, the first thing they say is, "Tryon? ooh I love Sidestreet." It's unreal the name recognition they have being in such a tiny small town.

Well I couldn't remember the name, but I know how to get therexthumbsupx

I think I even remember the old location before they moved next to the railroad tracks

SouthernEagle02
October 1st, 2010, 09:21 AM
Samford (2-2, 0-1) at Elon (1-3, 0-1)
After getting thumped by the Mountaineers, Samford makes the long I-85 drive for a Saturday afternoon playdate with Elon. While the Bulldogs were balanced on offense, they were outgained in both passing and rushing yards. And with Taliaferro and Lowery throwing interceptions, the offense having problems failing to convert on 3rd down, & allowing 4 sacks, it’s easy to see why they got beat 35-17. Elon returns home after dropping their SoCon opener to Georgia Southern, 38-21. While Riddle tossed for over 300 yards & 3 TD’s, the 2 interceptions and the Phoenix’s inability to run the ball (9 yards total rushing) certainly didn’t help the cause. This is an important game for the Phoenix, not a statement game, but an important game. If they want to have a shot at the playoffs, they need to win to get back into the Top 20. The Phoenix struggle, but earn their first SoCon win of 2010.
Elon 35 Samford 28.

Furman (2-1, 1-0) at Wofford (2-1, 0-0)
Wofford opens up their 2010 SoCon schedule after a week off by welcoming cross town rivals Furman to Spartanburg. In their victory over NAIA Union, Wofford’s option attack led the way with 335 rushing yards and 86 passing yards. The Terriers also managed to score on their first 8 drives. While the margin of victory was big (48-10), I’d have to say Union was able to move the ball relatively easy (if you look at the drive chart). Furman comes in fresh off a 31-14 victory over The Citadel. While the Paladins were outgained in total yards, the defense stepped up causing 3 fumbles, picking of the Bulldogs quarterbacks twice, & holding Citadel to a low 3rd conversion rate. For me the jury is still out on whether Furman is legit this year, as the only decent competition they’ve faced up to now has been South Carolina. This game honestly is a tossup as Furman has the #4 offense while Wofford the #2 defense. I know I’ll ripped for this one but I’ll take the Terriers in an overtime thriller as they need a quality win over a quality opponent.
Wofford 45 Furman 42

Western Carolina (1-3, 0-1) at The Citadel (2-2, 0-1)
After going toe to toe with Chattanooga and almost pulling out the upset, Western heads to Charleston to play The Citadel Bulldogs. In their sloppy loss to UTC, the Cats were out rushed, out thrown, and out gained in offense. The Catamount defense however, had one of their better games by forcing & recovering 3 fumbles & intercepting BJ Coleman. The Bulldogs return home after getting beat by Furman 31-14. Even though Citadel outgained Furman in total yards the lost fumble, two interceptions, & the 7 penalties impeded Citadel from really doing anything. My feeling is that one of these teams will finish dead last in the SoCon this year. Western is giving up an average of 419 yards a game on defense while The Citadel averages 318 on offense.
The Citadel 42 Western Carolina 21

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2010, 10:27 AM
[
Furman (2-1, 1-0) at Wofford (2-1, 0-0)
Wofford opens up their 2010 SoCon schedule after a week off by welcoming cross town rivals Furman to Spartanburg. In their victory over NAIA Union, Wofford’s option attack led the way with 335 rushing yards and 86 passing yards. The Terriers also managed to score on their first 8 drives. While the margin of victory was big (48-10), I’d have to say Union was able to move the ball relatively easy (if you look at the drive chart). Furman comes in fresh off a 31-14 victory over The Citadel. While the Paladins were outgained in total yards, the defense stepped up causing 3 fumbles, picking of the Bulldogs quarterbacks twice, & holding Citadel to a low 3rd conversion rate. For me the jury is still out on whether Furman is legit this year, as the only decent competition they’ve faced up to now has been South Carolina. This game honestly is a tossup as Furman has the #4 offense while Wofford the #2 defense. I know I’ll ripped for this one but I’ll take the Terriers in an overtime thriller as they need a quality win over a quality opponent.
Wofford 45 Furman 42

So, outside of the top 25 FCS team and the top 15 FBS team they played, Furman hasn't played any body? I think you can make the "who have they played" argument for every team in the conference. App State has beaten two patsies and UTC and Samford. Sure, UTC and Sammy have a lot of hype, but are they really that good (Samford durn near lost to Newberry and UTC struggled mightly with Western). GSU has beaten two terrible teams and Elon who, outside of the hype, may not be any good after all (one win over Shaw).

People continue to highlight that the Citadel outgained Furman in total yardage. My response is "so what?" Furman won by 17. All of the Citadel's scoring and virtually all of their TOP occurred in the fourth quarter. Furman didn't look bad, the offense just stalled a few times and allowed a ball control offense to, well, control the ball.

Wofford will be a good test. Furman has already faced three run-first teams this season, including an option team, so there's no suprises awaiting the Paladins. Wofford is plenty good enough to hang around and win the game, but Furman is the better team right now.

SouthernEagle02
October 1st, 2010, 11:32 AM
So, outside of the top 25 FCS team and the top 15 FBS team they played, Furman hasn't played any body?
Nope. But please tell me why I should think Furman is legit? Is it because they beat a weak Colgate team (that shouldn't have been ranked to begin with) who struggled to beat an even weaker Monmouth the week before? Is it because they beat a wildcard Citadel team? Like I said, the only team Furman has played that has been any good was South Carolina.

but Furman is the better team right now
How? Furman is giving up 228 rushing yards a game while Wofford is gaining 296 yards a game. Furman has the fourth best offense and is going up against the second best defense. Furman has, in 3 games, given up 8 sacks while only netting 3 for themselves.

I could go on, but I stand by my original statement in that outside of SC, this is the first decent competition Furman has faced. We'll all know what type of team Furman has after Saturday. And if Furman wins, they win and you're a happy camper. But if they lose...

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2010, 11:46 AM
Nope. But please tell me why I should think Furman is legit? Is it because they beat a weak Colgate team (that shouldn't have been ranked to begin with) who struggled to beat an even weaker Monmouth the week before? Is it because they beat a wildcard Citadel team? Like I said, the only team Furman has played that has been any good was South Carolina.

How? Furman is giving up 228 rushing yards a game while Wofford is gaining 296 yards a game. Furman has the fourth best offense and is going up against the second best defense. Furman has, in 3 games, given up 8 sacks while only netting 3 for themselves.

I could go on, but I stand by my original statement in that outside of SC, this is the first decent competition Furman has faced. We'll all know what type of team Furman has after Saturday. And if Furman wins, they win and you're a happy camper. But if they lose...

If you cite just the rushing numbers, sure, you make a point. Don't forget Furman is giving up only 102 yards a game in the air. It isn't as though Furman is giving up tons of yards on defense. Quite the contrary. They give up yards on the ground, but teams can't throw on them. I like our chances against a one dimensional opponent.

And besides, I'm not sitting here touting Furman's schedule. I'm just saying you can nitpick the schedule of every team in the conference and say "yea, they've yet to play a good team." You can certainly do that for Georgia Southern, Furman, and App.

Mountaineer
October 2nd, 2010, 02:35 PM
This is Week 5, for the record.

Western up over El Cid, 24-13, late in the fourth.

Elon over Samford, 17-6, in the third.

Furman getting mashed by Wofford, 31-10, early in the fourth. xlolx

Mountaineer
October 2nd, 2010, 02:39 PM
Worley with 3 interceptions on the day (not gonna miss Forcier eh?)

Local Watauga County boy, Eric Breitenstein, is eating Furman alive on the ground - 21 carries, 187 yards, 3 TDs. xlolx

Mountaineer
October 2nd, 2010, 02:51 PM
The Whee gets another in the victory column, 24-13.

Samford making it a game with Elon, 17-13 Feenix lead.

Furman puts points on the board, 31-17 Terriers with less than half of the fourth to go.

SC-T-Dogg
October 2nd, 2010, 03:07 PM
From Spartanburg....Wofford 38, Furman 17

Mountaineer
October 2nd, 2010, 03:07 PM
38-17 Wofford. This one is all but over.

Breitenstein 29 car, 230 yds, 4 tds

Kid should have SoCon and National Player of the Week honors all wrapped up. xthumbsupx

SouthernEagle02
October 2nd, 2010, 03:20 PM
And I guess we see what happens to Furman when plays a decent team... Loss to South Carolina and seemingly a loss to Wofford.

ElonPride
October 2nd, 2010, 03:39 PM
38-17 Wofford. This one is all but over.

Breitenstein 29 car, 230 yds, 4 tds

Kid should have SoCon and National Player of the Week honors all wrapped up. xthumbsupx

Not sure about that:

Riddle 36-44 416 yards and 3 Tds :)

Heck of a day by Woffy though!!!!!

SideLine Shooter
October 2nd, 2010, 03:44 PM
Not sure about that:

That was too close at home Elon. SU is not a very good team.

Mountaineer
October 2nd, 2010, 03:46 PM
Not sure about that:

Uh no. xlolx

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/1779/fuscale.png

ElonPride
October 2nd, 2010, 03:49 PM
That was too close at home Elon. SU is not a very good team.

Yes it was. Elon put the ball on the ground 4 times to let SU stick around.......

The stat lines with Elon & App versus SU are comparable. Elon allowed two more points against SU than App, allowed 19 more yards but Elon posted more offensive yards.

Could be the spark the team needs.

biggie
October 2nd, 2010, 04:36 PM
The stat lines with Elon & App versus SU are comparable. Elon allowed two more points against SU than App, allowed 19 more yards but Elon posted more offensive yards.
Probably a reason for that, App pretty much stopped doing anything but handing off after the first series of the 2nd half.

Surprised it was that close though.

And the FU game shocked me a little.

theasushow
October 2nd, 2010, 04:40 PM
hmmm, not a bad off week for ASU, may be number 1 in the county with the jmu loss and 'nova getting destroyed....ill take it, its been a while!

biggie
October 2nd, 2010, 04:42 PM
hmmm, not a bad off week for ASU, may be number 1 in the county with the jmu loss and 'nova getting destroyed....ill take it, its been a while!

Don't think the ranking will count for most people until we've beaten Elon and GSU at least.

theasushow
October 2nd, 2010, 04:48 PM
Don't think the ranking will count for most people until we've beaten Elon and GSU at least.

i agree...i think that even with a Elon win people still wont be convinced, Elon has underachieved a little IMO.

ElonPride
October 2nd, 2010, 04:48 PM

THe first few games we had some defensive problems. Today we simply had problems holding on to the dang ball!!!!

gophoenix
October 2nd, 2010, 07:32 PM
Probably a reason for that, App pretty much stopped doing anything but handing off after the first series of the 2nd half.

And the FU game shocked me a little.

It's what happens when you cough up the ball 4 times deep in Samford territory.

And to add to Riddle's stat, 2 fumbles I think. So, take the 400+ yards passing with a grain of salt.

Nearly 500 yards of offense and only 24 points to show for it.... not good in my opinon....

But 10500 attended, not too bad....

ElonPride
October 3rd, 2010, 03:21 PM

Well, that's not totally true. After the first series in the 3rd quarter, App ran ten pass plays versus 8 rushing. That trend continued on App's first possession in the 4th quarter (cont. from the 3rd), throwing three straight passes then punting. App didn't start straight handing off the football until their second possession in the 4th with 10:47 left on the clock.

SU DOG
October 3rd, 2010, 06:29 PM
Not to take anything away from the Phoenix win, but Samford also had some(3) costly turnovers. Starting QB in 2nd quarter takes snap at the Elon 17 and throws an Int at the Elon 2. Same QB later fumbles on the Elon 30 with 3 1/2 min to go in first half. The score after Samford QB change was 19-7 Dogs. Also at the risk of sounding like a whiner, Samford sacks Riddle in the 4th quarter for an 11 yard loss on 3rd down at the Elon 27. A very close late hit call (I said close not necessarily bad, but the kind only the home team usually gets) gives Elon 15 yds and a 1st and 10. My point is that, IMO, Elon did NOT get way ahead and coast to the win as some probably think. Good game that hopefully will give our players some confidence heading to WCU with probably a different starting QB.

gophoenix
October 3rd, 2010, 09:52 PM
Not to take anything away from the Phoenix win, but Samford also had some(3) costly turnovers. Starting QB in 2nd quarter takes snap at the Elon 17 and throws an Int at the Elon 2. Same QB later fumbles on the Elon 30 with 3 1/2 min to go in first half. The score after Samford QB change was 19-7 Dogs. Also at the risk of sounding like a whiner, Samford sacks Riddle in the 4th quarter for an 11 yard loss on 3rd down at the Elon 27. A very close late hit call (I said close not necessarily bad, but the kind only the home team usually gets) gives Elon 15 yds and a 1st and 10. My point is that, IMO, Elon did NOT get way ahead and coast to the win as some probably think. Good game that hopefully will give our players some confidence heading to WCU with probably a different starting QB.

No, there was no coasting. A late hit by us is called dirty playing, BTW. Hahaha. It was a close call, wouldn't say it's a home team thing, we've seen plenty go the other way at home over the years. But no, we were never up big to give let us coast and gave you the chance to come back. It as a pretty even amount of turning the ball over multiple times to never let any momentum hit. We still have a big problem with leadership on the field..... and I really like your running backs, very talented group and the blocking up front seemed to improve throughout the game to open that up for you guys.

seantaylor
October 4th, 2010, 03:17 AM

Turnovers are part of the game. It's like saying, "don't want to take anything away from this team, but our QB sucks. Whats the difference?