PDA

View Full Version : 2010 At-Large Playoff Elimination & Eligibility

SumItUp
September 26th, 2010, 05:44 PM
This information is to help keep track of the playoff picture. There are 106 FCS teams for 2010. This number does not include the SWAC or Ivy League since those conferences choose to not participate in the FCS playoffs. To qualify for an at-large bid to the playoffs, a team needs a minimum of 7 Division 1 (FBS or FCS) wins. If a team is categorized as a BUBBLE team, they must win all of their remaining D1 games to be eligible for an at-large bid. If a team is categorized as ELIMINATED, they are not capable of winning 7 D1 games during this season. Last season, 27 of the eligible teams reached 7 D1 wins. This year, with the addition of two new auto bid conferences (Big South & NEC), there are also 2 additional at-large positions available.

After week 4, two teams (Lamar & Savannah State) have been eliminated. There are 19 teams that are on the bubble. Three of those teams (Eastern Illinois, Elon and Southern Illinois) participated in last year's playoffs.

Bubble Teams (19) - Butler, Campbell, Charleston Southern, Eastern Illinois, Eastern Kentucky, Elon, Howard, Idaho State, Indiana State, Nicholls State, North Carolina A&T, North Carolina Central, Presbyterian, Southern Illinois, Southern Utah, Stony Brook, Tennessee Tech, Tennessee-Martin, Valparaiso

Eliminated in Week 4 (2) - Lamar, Savannah State

JMUNJ08
September 26th, 2010, 05:54 PM
One of my favorite weekly threads. Thanks for starting it back up!

darell1976
September 26th, 2010, 05:56 PM
This information is to help keep track of the playoff picture. There are 106 FCS teams for 2010. This number does not include the SWAC or Ivy League since those conferences choose to not participate in the FCS playoffs. To qualify for an at-large bid to the playoffs, a team needs a minimum of 7 Division 1 (FBS or FCS) wins. If a team is categorized as a BUBBLE team, they must win all of their remaining D1 games to be eligible for an at-large bid. If a team is categorized as ELIMINATED, they are not capable of winning 7 D1 games during this season. Last season, 27 of the eligible teams reached 7 D1 wins. This year, with the addition of two new auto bid conferences (Big South & NEC), there are also 2 additional at-large positions available.

After week 4, two teams (Lamar & Savannah State) have been eliminated. There are 19 teams that are on the bubble. Three of those teams (Eastern Illinois, Elon and Southern Illinois) participated in last year's playoffs.

Bubble Teams (19) - Butler, Campbell, Charleston Southern, Eastern Illinois, Eastern Kentucky, Elon, Howard, Idaho State, Indiana State, Nicholls State, North Carolina A&T, North Carolina Central, Presbyterian, Southern Illinois, Southern Utah, Stony Brook, Tennessee Tech, Tennessee-Martin, Valparaiso

Eliminated in Week 4 (2) - Lamar, Savannah State

Are they playoff eligible??

GaSouthern
September 26th, 2010, 06:57 PM
How'd Elon get up there with one of the best quarterbacks in the FCS? ;)

LouiseBFree
September 26th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Are they playoff eligible??

No, Lamar or any other program that started during the membership moratorium -- ODU, Ga. State, So. Alabama -- cannot qualify for NCAA playoffs at least until the moratorium is lifted, expected in 2011.

SumItUp
September 26th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I could use a little help.

1/ Are there any teams that are ineligible for a at-large bid? (Georgia State, South Alabama, Lamar, etc...??) I have not included South Alabama in the list of 106 teams. Currently, I have not listed any team as ineligible.
2/ Do games against Georgia State, South Alabama, ODU and Lamar count as a D-1 win? Currently, a win against these schools is considered a D1 win.

If someone has different information, please provide a source.

Syntax Error
September 26th, 2010, 09:07 PM

1/ Are there any teams that are ineligible for a at-large bid? (Georgia State, South Alabama, Lamar, etc...??) I have not included South Alabama in the list of 106 teams. Currently, I have not listed any team as ineligible.
2/ Do games against Georgia State, South Alabama, ODU and Lamar count as a D-1 win? Currently, a win against these schools is considered a D1 win.

1. All the teams you listed are not playoff eligible.
2. All the teams you listed are transitional and it is up to the committee for consideration.

Syntax Error
September 26th, 2010, 09:10 PM
No, Lamar or any other program that started during the membership moratorium -- ODU, Ga. State, So. Alabama -- cannot qualify for NCAA playoffs at least until the moratorium is lifted, expected in 2011.

The moratorium has nothing to do with it. Lamar will be good next year. I think the rest are transitional and will be good when they finish.

SumItUp
September 26th, 2010, 09:16 PM
2. All the teams you listed are transitional and it is up to the committee for consideration.

You are saying that a win against ODU may not count as a D1 win? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 26th, 2010, 09:20 PM
The moratorium has nothing to do with it. Lamar will be good next year. I think the rest are transitional and will be good when they finish.

The same Lamar that got royally sodomized by SFA, and who lost to NAIA Weber ? Not that I'm saying that things can't turn around big in a year, but they must have some killer transfers coming in to go from wherever they are now to any semblance of good.

Syntax Error
September 26th, 2010, 09:24 PM
You are saying that a win against ODU may not count as a D1 win? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The committee didn't count NDSU and SDSU as full D-I wins for Cal Poly a few years ago because they were not full D-I yet. That's what I meant.

Twentysix
September 26th, 2010, 09:24 PM
By good he means eligible i believe. I had heard in the past a first year transitional team does not count, but after the first year they do count as a Div 1 win. Although i do not have a source so this could be incorrect.

Syntax Error
September 26th, 2010, 09:26 PM
The same Lamar that got royally sodomized by SFA, and who lost to NAIA Weber ? Not that I'm saying that things can't turn around big in a year, but they must have some killer transfers coming in to go from wherever they are now to any semblance of good.

It's because Lamar is already D-I.

Syntax Error
September 26th, 2010, 09:33 PM
By good he means eligible i believe. I had heard in the past a first year transitional team does not count, but after the first year they do count as a Div 1 win. Although i do not have a source so this could be incorrect.

An FBS counter is different.

MaximumBobcat
September 26th, 2010, 09:52 PM

They didn't lose to Weber.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 26th, 2010, 10:02 PM
They didn't lose to Weber.

My mistake, I read up a line and saw the McNeese game.

superman7515
September 26th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Might as well add DelState to the list. They're going to start off 0-5. They might get wins vs NC A&T, Morgan St, and/or Howard. Best case scenario, 3-8.

SumItUp
September 26th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Might as well add DelState to the list. They're going to start off 0-5. They might get wins vs NC A&T, Morgan St, and/or Howard. Best case scenario, 3-8.

It doesn't look promising for DState, but time is their friend. They have at least 14 days before they get added to the elimination list.

PhoenixSupreme
September 26th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Betcha no one at the beginning of the season would have said Elon or Southern Illinois would have made this list. I'm quite bummed out it has come to all-or-nothing for Elon xbawlingx

darell1976
September 27th, 2010, 08:22 AM

North Dakota and South Dakota are not eligible until 2012.

Aho_Old_Guy
September 27th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Betcha no one at the beginning of the season would have said Elon or Southern Illinois would have made this list. I'm quite bummed out it was come to all-or-nothing for Elon xbawlingx

I can see (granted, you have to look really hard) a logjam of 6-2 teams at the top of the SoCon this year --- improbable, but not impossible.

superman7515
October 3rd, 2010, 10:50 AM
So I believe this is the updated one for this week...

Eliminated:

Butler, Coastal Carolina, Eastern Illinois, Howard, Lamar, Morgan State, North Carolina A&T, Northwestern St, Presbyterian, Savannah State, Southern Utah, Tennessee Tech, Valparaiso

Bubble teams:

Bucknell, Citadel, Delaware State, Eastern Kentucky, Elon, Idaho State, Indiana State, Lafayette, Murray State, Northern Colorado, Sacred Heart, Samford, San Diego, Southern Illinois, South Dakota State, Stony Brook, Tennessee-Martin, Towson, UC Davis

El Gato
October 3rd, 2010, 05:08 PM
Nicholls State should be on the bubble.

NSU has no D1 wins and has 7 D1 games remaining.

SumItUp
October 3rd, 2010, 11:07 PM
After Week 5, 11 of the 106 FCS teams have been eliminated from consideration for an at-large bid. Eastern Illinois is the first 2009 playoff participant to be eliminated in the 2010 season. There are now 29 additional teams on the bubble.

Bubble Teams - Bryant, Bucknell, Campbell, Charleston Southern, Citadel, Coastal Carolina, Delaware State, Eastern Kentucky, Elon, Fordham, Gardner-Webb, Howard, Indiana State, Lafayette, Morgan State, Murray State, Nicholls State, North Carolina Central, North Dakota, Northern Colorado, Sacramento State, Sacred Heart, Samford, San Diego, South Dakota State, Southern Illinois, Stony Brook, Tennessee-Martin, Towson

Eliminated in Week 5 - Butler, Eastern Illinois, Idaho State, North Carolina A&T, Northwestern State, Presbyterian, Southern Utah, Tennessee Tech, Valparaiso

Eliminated in Week 4 - Lamar, Savannah State

appfan2008
October 4th, 2010, 07:21 AM
growing every week... playoffs are just around the corner!!!

darell1976
October 4th, 2010, 08:01 AM
After Week 5, 11 of the 106 FCS teams have been eliminated from consideration for an at-large bid. Eastern Illinois is the first 2009 playoff participant to be eliminated in the 2010 season. There are now 29 additional teams on the bubble.

Bubble Teams - Bryant, Bucknell, Campbell, Charleston Southern, Citadel, Coastal Carolina, Delaware State, Eastern Kentucky, Elon, Fordham, Gardner-Webb, Howard, Indiana State, Lafayette, Morgan State, Murray State, Nicholls State, North Carolina Central, North Dakota, Northern Colorado, Sacramento State, Sacred Heart, Samford, San Diego, South Dakota State, Southern Illinois, Stony Brook, Tennessee-Martin, Towson

Eliminated in Week 5 - Butler, Eastern Illinois, Idaho State, North Carolina A&T, Northwestern State, Presbyterian, Southern Utah, Tennessee Tech, Valparaiso

I think you mean North Dakota State since we are not playoff eligible.

SumItUp
October 12th, 2010, 12:29 PM
After Week 6, 27 of the 106 FCS teams have been eliminated from consideration for an at-large bid. Elon is the second 2009 playoff participant to be eliminated in the 2010 season. There are now 23 additional teams on the bubble that cannot lose a remaining D1 game.

Bubble Teams (23) - Austin Peay, Bryant, Campbell, Coastal Carolina, Davidson, Drake, Eastern Kentucky, Gardner-Webb, Illinois State, Indiana State, Maine, Monmouth, Morgan State, Murray State, Norfolk State, Sacramento State, Samford, South Dakota State, Southern Illinois, St. Francis (PA), Stony Brook, Virginia Military Institute, Western Carolina

Eliminated in Week 6 - Bucknell, Charleston Southern, Citadel, Delaware State, Elon, Fordham, Howard, Lafayette, Nicholls State, North Carolina Central, North Dakota, Northern Colorado, Sacred Heart, San Diego, Tennessee-Martin, Towson

bjtheflamesfan
October 12th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Elon was a 2009 playoff team right?

JMUNJ08
October 12th, 2010, 02:17 PM
79 teams for 20 spots! everyone left has a 25% chance of making the big dance!

ElonPride
October 12th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Eliminated in Week 6 - Bucknell, Charleston Southern, Citadel, Delaware State, Elon, Fordham, Howard, Lafayette, Nicholls State, North Carolina Central, North Dakota, Northern Colorado, Sacred Heart, San Diego, Tennessee-Martin, Towson

According to the rules of the playoff committee, Elon has NOT YET been eliminated from at large candidacy. With the expanded playoffs, this could be the first year a 7-4 team with 6 D-I wins get in via at large. I'm not saying Elon deserves to get in........But I too am bummed that we've more than likely lost our chances.

Keenan
October 12th, 2010, 06:47 PM
According to the rules of the playoff committee, Elon has NOT YET been eliminated from at large candidacy. With the expanded playoffs, this could be the first year a 7-4 team with 6 D-I wins get in via at large. I'm not saying Elon deserves to get in........But I too am bummed that we've more than likely lost our chances.

I'll tell you one thing. If Elon wins out and finishes 7-4, they might make the playoffs. That is very big IF though when you look at the remaining schedule. There are three possible losses with the likes of Wofford,Chatty and Furman still to play. I think all three of those games would be quality wins. Would it be enough to get an at-large? TBD!

TheBisonator
October 12th, 2010, 08:51 PM
North Dakota and South Dakota are not eligible for the playoffs this year. Neither is South Alabama or Georgia State or Lamar (I think).

I counted 103 teams on ESPN.com that at the beginning of the year, would have been qualified to battle for a playoff berth.

Are there only 79 teams remaining for eligibility??

ElonPride
October 13th, 2010, 06:39 AM
I'll tell you one thing. If Elon wins out and finishes 7-4, they might make the playoffs. That is very big IF though when you look at the remaining schedule. There are three possible losses with the likes of Wofford,Chatty and Furman still to play. I think all three of those games would be quality wins. Would it be enough to get an at-large? TBD!

Again, do I think Elon would be deserving of the bid? Not really. If you want to be in the playoffs against the top ranked teams, you have to win the games against the ranked teams early in the season. So far Elon hasn't done that with losses to UR, GSU & App and an FBS loss.

But you are correct, still some tough games ahead.

appfan2008
October 13th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Again, do I think Elon would be deserving of the bid? Not really. If you want to be in the playoffs against the top ranked teams, you have to win the games against the ranked teams early in the season. So far Elon hasn't done that with losses to UR, GSU & App and an FBS loss.

But you are correct, still some tough games ahead.

I agree and to be honest... ASU is no lock yet either with gsu, wofford, furman and of course florida still yet to play... could be a tough finish to the year...

PhoenixSupreme
October 13th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I agree and to be honest... ASU is no lock yet either with gsu, wofford, furman and of course florida still yet to play... could be a tough finish to the year...

Anything goes in the top half of the SoCon...flip a coin

SouthernMan
October 13th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Elon's game against Shaw will ultimately keep them out of the playoffs.

Win VS DII/DIII will not count. See GSU in 2007, 7-4, but one of those 7 against West GA.

Hopefully we NEVER schedule another DII/III opponent ever again because of this. It sucks to be in that position, but we got beat out in 2007 by UNH who was like the 9th or 10th team from the CAA that year to get in....even though we had the Walter Payton award winner at QB and had the biggest win in the Hatcher era at Boone that year.

Sorry, but by running the table, you are still done. But by all means there is alot to be said by playing spoiler. We REALLY need you guys to beat Wofford.

ElonPride
October 13th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Elon's game against Shaw will ultimately keep them out of the playoffs.

Win VS DII/DIII will not count. See GSU in 2007, 7-4, but one of those 7 against West GA.

Hopefully we NEVER schedule another DII/III opponent ever again because of this. It sucks to be in that position, but we got beat out in 2007 by UNH who was like the 9th or 10th team from the CAA that year to get in....even though we had the Walter Payton award winner at QB and had the biggest win in the Hatcher era at Boone that year.

Sorry, but by running the table, you are still done. But by all means there is alot to be said by playing spoiler. We REALLY need you guys to beat Wofford.

Again, we're looking at expaned playoffs this year. I would bet that the committee takes a 7-4 team with 6 D-I wins from one of the traditional powerhouse conferences over a 9-2 runner up from the NEC or Big South.

SouthernMan
October 13th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Even though the field is expanded, we are still talking about only 2 more at large bids to be spread out between SoCon, CAA, Big Sky, etc... I guess the determination will then have to be made on "how" the wins are obtained (DI wins VS DII/III). Because the way the season is shaping up, it looks as if there will be quite a few 7-4 teams out there.

The only way I see GSU in the playoffs is either with an autobid or being 9-2 / 8-3. Essentially we either have to win out ourselves, and if we do lose, it can only be to the #1 team in the SoCon (App game will be huge). And I am not overlooking Chattanooga (or anyone else in anyway) a loss to them puts it out of reach in my opinion if we also lose to App later down the road. I do not think a third place 7-4 GSU team gets in, I would hope we would, but not with the CAA homers in the selection committee.

Good luck on running the field, good luck against Woffie, hope you can garner a W in order to help us out.

SumItUp
October 17th, 2010, 12:30 AM
After Week 7, 40 of the 106 FCS teams have been eliminated from consideration for an at-large bid. Southern Illinois is the third 2009 playoff participant to be eliminated in the 2010 season. There are now 26 additional teams on the bubble that cannot lose a remaining D1 game. Jacksonville State is the first team to reach 7 D1 wins.

Bubble Teams (26) - Cal Poly, Central Arkansas, Coastal Carolina, Davidson, Drake, Gardner-Webb, Georgetown, Holy Cross, Illinois State, Indiana State, Marist, McNeese State, Missouri State, Monmouth, Morehead State, Morgan State, Murray State, Portland State, Rhode Island, Sacramento State, South Carolina State, South Dakota State, Southeastern Louisiana, Tennessee State, Texas State, Youngstown State

Eliminated in Week 7 - Austin Peay, Bryant, Campbell, Eastern Kentucky, Maine, Norfolk State, Samford, South Dakota, Southern Illinois, St. Francis (PA), Stony Brook, Virginia Military Institute, Western Carolina

Qualified for at-large consideration - Jacksonville State

darell1976
October 17th, 2010, 08:00 AM
After Week 7, 40 of the 106 FCS teams have been eliminated from consideration for an at-large bid. Southern Illinois is the third 2009 playoff participant to be eliminated in the 2010 season. There are now 26 additional teams on the bubble that cannot lose a remaining D1 game. Jacksonville State is the first team to reach 7 D1 wins.

Bubble Teams (26) - Cal Poly, Central Arkansas, Coastal Carolina, Davidson, Drake, Gardner-Webb, Georgetown, Holy Cross, Illinois State, Indiana State, Marist, McNeese State, Missouri State, Monmouth, Morehead State, Morgan State, Murray State, Portland State, Rhode Island, Sacramento State, South Carolina State, South Dakota State, Southeastern Louisiana, Tennessee State, Texas State, Youngstown State

Eliminated in Week 7 - Austin Peay, Bryant, Campbell, Eastern Kentucky, Maine, Norfolk State, Samford, South Dakota, Southern Illinois, St. Francis (PA), Stony Brook, Virginia Military Institute, Western Carolina

Us and South Dakota were never eligible so how can we be eliminated??

El Gato
October 17th, 2010, 12:03 PM
McNeese is out. They have only 1 D1 win, and they only have 5 D1 games left. The loss to LSU yesterday did them in. They have 2 wins overall yes but Lamar does not count as a D1 win since they are still transitional.

JMUNJ08
October 17th, 2010, 12:22 PM
McNeese is out. They have only 1 D1 win, and they only have 5 D1 games left. The loss to LSU yesterday did them in. They have 2 wins overall yes but Lamar does not count as a D1 win since they are still transitional.

They were always D1 so not transitioning correct? I thought Georgia St and ODU are counters as well for the same reason?

appfan2008
October 17th, 2010, 03:12 PM

the last couple of spots will probably come from some less than deserving 7-4 team

SumItUp
November 1st, 2010, 12:14 PM
After Week 8, 54 of the 106 FCS teams have been eliminated from consideration for an at-large bid. There are now 14 additional teams on the bubble that cannot lose a remaining D1 game. In the 2009 season, there were 27 teams that reached the 7 D1 win mark.

Bubble Teams (14) - Albany, Cal Poly, Central Arkansas, Drake, Georgia State, Holy Cross, McNeese State, Missouri State, Monmouth, Morehead State, Morgan State, Murray State, Northern Arizona, South Carolina State, South Dakota State, UC Davis

Eliminated in Week 8 - Coastal Carolina, Davidson, Gardner-Webb, Georgetown, Illinois State, Indiana State, Marist, Portland State, Rhode Island, Sacramento State, Southeastern Louisiana, Tennessee State, Texas State, Youngstown State

Qualified (3) - Appalachian State, Jacksonville State, Southeast Missouri State

SumItUp
November 1st, 2010, 12:15 PM
After Week 9, 63 of the 106 FCS teams have been eliminated from consideration for an at-large bid. There are now 16 additional teams on the bubble that cannot lose a remaining D1 game. In the 2009 season, there were 27 teams that reached the 7 D1 win mark. 7 Teams have reached the 7 D1 wins so far this season with 3 weeks to play.

Bubble Teams (16) - Cal Poly, Central Arkansas, Colgate, Drake, Duquesne, Furman, Georgia Southern, Holy Cross, James Madison, McNeese State, Missouri State, Montana, Richmond, Sam Houston State, South Carolina State, Wagner

Eliminated in Week 9 - Albany, Georgia State, Monmouth, Morehead State, Morgan State, Murray State, Northern Arizona, South Dakota State, UC Davis

Eliminated in Week 8 - Coastal Carolina, Davidson, Gardner-Webb, Georgetown, Illinois State, Indiana State, Marist, Portland State, Rhode Island, Sacramento State, Southeastern Louisiana, Tennessee State, Texas State, Youngstown State

Eliminated in Week 6- Bucknell, Charleston Southern, Citadel, Delaware State, Elon, Fordham, Howard, Lafayette, Nicholls State, North Carolina Central, North Dakota, Northern Colorado, Sacred Heart, San Diego, Tennessee-Martin, Towson

Qualified (7) - Appalachian State, Bethune-Cookman, Dayton, Jacksonville, Jacksonville State, Robert Morris, Southeast Missouri State

bjtheflamesfan
November 1st, 2010, 12:23 PM
a number of 09 playoff teams are now on the bubble going into this weekend