PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to take the Valley?

achrist70
September 26th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I really don't know if there is a more open conference race right now, here my observations.

Illinois State- Seem to be a very tough team right now. Big wins already over SDSU and MSU which could be very important when it comes to the final standings and a playoff spot. Concerns have to be youth still, a year older but still young, who will they respond when they are put into difficult situations which there will be many more to come.

Indiana State- Sorry Trees not this year.

Missouri State- This is a very difficult team to read. Could be very good, it will be interesting to see how they respond after a tough loss.

Northern Iowa- Win versus the Bison could be very important when it comes to the final standings. Tough loss to SFA which they should have won, and laid an egg at Iowa State. The defense is good, but the offense is better when they are off the field. This weeks game should show a lot.

North Dakota State- Beat Kansas, lose to UNI, Beat Morgan State, and South Dakota. This is a team that I think has a chance to do some big things, but truly wonder if they will. Two of there wins are very impressive, but when I saw them in person I truly wasn't impressed with them. I really don't know what to think about them.

South Dakota State- Pretty much a solid pick at the beginning of the year to win a lot of conference games and find their way into the playoffs. However after a 0-3 start there has to be concern in Brookings. A good showing against Nebraska, although you wonder the motivation there was on the Red side. This is a team that can still rebound and make a lot of noise this year, it does need to happen fast though.

Southern Illinois- Everyone's pick for the title, what has happened. Started off the season with a win versus a DII team, then have saw 3 very disappointing losses. This team needs to rebound fast or the first season in their new stadium will be one to forget.

Western Illinois- Started off the season with a nice 3-1 season, I am not completely sold on this team yet though, the next 2 weeks will tell a lot about this team.

Youngstown State- Very similar to Western Illinois, they beat SIU but can't be sure how impressive that is, and the other two wins aren't anything to brag about. Again next two weeks are very important for this team.

Thoughts?

OrygunBison
September 26th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I give the Bison a chance if they can start putting full games together. Looking very, VERY good in the second halves the last two weeks. Played poorly in the first half of each of those games, though. If they never put a full game together this year, they will be 6-5. Play good ball for 4 quarters every game, we'll be 9-2 and hopefully hosting a playoff game...

DJKyR0
September 26th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Interesting thread. SIU had to be the favorite coming in but starting 1-3 has to have some Saluki fans worried.

Western Illinois looks good at 3-1 but their wins are Valpo (who currently has losses to D-II and D-III teams), Sam Houston and Indiana State (which isn't quite out of the MVFC cellar yet). Barr returning has been a big part of their offensive breakout but again, they haven't faced a legit defense yet. Really intrigued to see how next Saturday plays out against the Bison who, objectively speaking, have probably the top defense in the MVC if not one of the top overall in FCS.

RabidRabbit
September 26th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Redbirds are in the best position with 2 MVFC wins, including on the road vs a pre-season top pick.

Panthers are in 2nd best situation as have the NDSU win, and still have SDSU and SIU coming to town.

SDSU, SIU must win out to make the play.

YSU is still a ???

WIU also.

MSU has a shot, but not getting the Il St road win hurts.

NDSU also has 2 quality wins, and has probably the best OOC case for an at-large if don't win the conference. Be interesting to see how they shake out. Loss to UNI is concern.

IN St. still coming up to MVFC talent level.

Squealofthepig
September 26th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Scheduling is going to make this interesting, too.

UNI, which most of us thought would be pretty darned good, has stumbled... and it doesn't get much easier. After hosting SDSU, 5 of the last 7 games come on the road, with the two dome games being Illinois State and Missouri State. @SIU, @WIU, @YSU all could be problems, and the non-conference game against South Dakota also may be tough.

The Salukis, following a difficult weekend loss at YSU, have four home games remaining, including hosting UNI, SDSU and WIU. Games at NDSU, Missouri State and Illinois State will be tough, but SIU has a bit easier path.

NDSU also has four home games remaining, with road games at YSU, Illinois State and Missouri State. At 0-1 in the conference, NDSU has a lot of games to play, but their win over Kansas will help them get a bid into the playoffs even if they don't take the MVC.

WIU may have scored more points already this year than all of last year; only three home games remaining, and tough road schedule: at NDSU, SDSU, Missouri State and SIU late.

And the Penguins? They get NDSU, and Northern Iowa at home, but still have to travel to Missouri State, WIU, SDSU and Illinois State.

So... doubt this clears anything up, but winning the valley comes down to securing home wins and sneaking a few wins on the road. The conference is probably still wide open to everyone but the Sycamores - and even they still could possibly win it with a few surprises.

ValleyChamp
September 26th, 2010, 03:46 PM
everyone sucks.

SO ILLmatic
September 26th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Youngstown then WIU and then the Redbirds to finish out the top three

Twentysix
September 26th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Why WIU? I can see why you choose youngstown, they beat SIU they must be the best. But what has WIU done to prove they are worthy of #2?

My guess at top 3 is YSU Ill st NDSU. Not neccesarily in that order. Its also possible that SIU is much worse than im assuming and YSU really isnt that good.

All YSU has done is beat Butler, SIU,and CCSU, CCSU beat Bryant and Bently, woopty freakin doo. WIU beat Valpo and In st and SHSU.

Maybe some of the other teams will wake up, who knows.

Professor Chaos
September 26th, 2010, 05:15 PM
These are categories I would put teams in to this point.

Contenders: YSU and ISU Red
Jury still out: WIU and NDSU
Stumbled but could still make a lot of noise: UNI and MSU
Underachievers: SIU and SDSU
Still lacking the talent to be competitive on weekly basis: ISU Blue

Next week will be interesting. The YSU/MSU and WIU/NDSU matchups will allow the cream of the conference to start separating. SDSU and SIU are in must-win mode in two very tough road games. A lot of season left to go but you can usually get a pretty good indication of who the contenders and the pretenders after 4 games.

Gil Dobie
September 26th, 2010, 05:16 PM
The NDSU is already a tale of 2 seasons. The Mohler season and the Jensen season. Jensen was behind the center for the last 7 quarters and 68 points. The defense is still holding fairly good. Having Jensen, a possible running threat in the backfield, really opened things up for DJ McNorton to get his 250 yards. The only drawback for Jensen so far, is that he sounded nervous in the first have, over-throwing several recievers. The season looks much more promising now.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 26th, 2010, 05:45 PM
My top 3 are UNI-ILL State -NDSU in no order.

WIU has been getting a lot of love.....we'll see come saturday in the FFD.

Really, it is too early to tell......give it 2-3 more weeks.

leatherneck177
September 26th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Why WIU? I can see why you choose youngstown, they beat SIU they must be the best. But what has WIU done to prove they are worthy of #2?

My guess at top 3 is YSU Ill st NDSU. Not neccesarily in that order. Its also possible that SIU is much worse than im assuming and YSU really isnt that good.

All YSU has done is beat Butler, SIU,and CCSU, CCSU beat Bryant and Bently, woopty freakin doo. WIU beat Valpo and In st and SHSU.

Maybe some of the other teams will wake up, who knows.

I agree we will find out what Western is made of in the next two weeks. I'd say a split would be great. If they drop both games, forget about this year. This is a very tough road swing.

PLEASE SPELL HOMECOMING RIGHT, I MAY HAVE GRADUATED FROM WESTERN, BUT I DO KNOW HOW TO SPELL.

Twentysix
September 26th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I agree we will find out what Western is made of in the next two weeks. I'd say a split would be great. If they drop both games, forget about this year. This is a very tough road swing.

PLEASE SPELL HOMECOMING RIGHT, I MAY HAVE GRADUATED FROM WESTERN, BUT I DO KNOW HOW TO SPELL.

love you too. Since it bothers you im not changing it.

Redbird Ray
September 26th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Redbirds win the Valley
NDSU gets an at-large

Everyone else enjoys Thanksgiving at home.

Twentysix
September 27th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Redbirds win the Valley
NDSU gets an at-large

Everyone else enjoys Thanksgiving at home.

If it means playoffs i can deal with that.

MSUDuo
September 27th, 2010, 01:36 AM

Next week will be interesting. The YSU/MSU and WIU/NDSU matchups will allow the cream of the conference to start separating. SDSU and SIU are in must-win mode in two very tough road games. A lot of season left to go but you can usually get a pretty good indication of who the contenders and the pretenders after 4 games.

Jury still out : YSU, MSU, ISU(r), NDSU, UNI, WIU
Disappointing: SIU and SDSU
Last place: ISU(b)

Houndawg
September 27th, 2010, 04:30 AM

SIU would have been down from last year even without the injuries. AA FS Mike McElroy gets knee surgery today so we'll be playing out the season with one starter in the secondary that was supposed to be our strong point this season. Speed is down this year too.