PDA

View Full Version : GSU Recruiting Violations???

tshepdog83
January 31st, 2006, 03:29 PM
Had a friend at Georgia Southern today call me - he overhead a couple of guys talking about one of the football coaches. Was saying the guy had broken some recruiting rule this past weekend. He couldn't hear what happened- but did hear them say they had to report it!

How soon do they have to report and how could we find out what it was? Is there an NCAA website to view this stuff?

My cousin is being recruited as a walk on down there, but if there's a possible mess I don't want him there.

If it's true this isn't a good start for the new coaches.

WMTribe90
January 31st, 2006, 03:33 PM
I wouldn't panic. NCAA recruiting rules are super complex. Even the cleanest of programs unintentionally break minor rules on occasion. If the infraction was isolated, minor, and GSU self reports I doubt anything will come of it.

Cap'n Cat
January 31st, 2006, 03:57 PM
Had a friend at Georgia Southern today call me - he overhead a couple of guys talking about one of the football coaches. Was saying the guy had broken some recruiting rule this past weekend. He couldn't hear what happened- but did hear them say they had to report it!

How soon do they have to report and how could we find out what it was? Is there an NCAA website to view this stuff?

My cousin is being recruited as a walk on down there, but if there's a possible mess I don't want him there.

If it's true this isn't a good start for the new coaches.

Oh, crap, here we go. Watch out for the 'Boro Barrage now!!!

http://malcolmcat.org/files/89__HOF_PHOTO
"I think it's safe up here...."

ButlerGSU
January 31st, 2006, 04:21 PM
If there is any truth to this it will be dealt with quickly and appropriately. This is the first rumor I have heard.

Blue
January 31st, 2006, 04:23 PM
I was privy to a discussion this morning over breakfast at Apple Annie's in Edneyville NC. A transient, hitching rides from Hoboken to Comanche Pass said that his ex-girlfriend's sister was attending school at Georgia Southern as a grad assistant doing research into nocturnal marsupials mating rituals. Although her research is far from complete the envelop being pulled from the pouch in the dead of night appears to read 'the rumors of recruiting violations are just that'.

Just reporting what I heard. You decide.

bustya
January 31st, 2006, 04:26 PM
thought there were more Gram violations other than what the NCAA is looking at now, carry on. xlolx

Ronbo
January 31st, 2006, 04:38 PM
Was it a quiet period? It can be confusing and easy to break the contact rules. I don't think the penalties are very severe unless there is a habitual tendancy of the schools coaches.

Blueandwhitefightfight
January 31st, 2006, 04:59 PM
I doubt it. GSU is very secure about recruiting. It is nearly impossible to find out who they are trying to recruit until signing day unless the player verbally commits.

We have coaches that are bringing a lot of experience from Florida St., UGA, and Middle Tenn. St. as well as a lot of I-AA schools.

I would be pretty sure that if we did violate a rule, it would be something minor and accidental.

Jeff Beckles (the coach who handles most of the recruiting) knows his stuff extremely well. He wouldn't jeopardize this before he even coaches a down of football.

Also, no news of anything of the sort here in Statesboro. Something like this would hit the press almost immediately if it were to happen.

I would dismiss this as most likely a rumor until something official comes out.

GaSouthern
January 31st, 2006, 06:02 PM
I took special note to seriously check into this and I can confirm this is all just speculation. Nothing for eagles fans to worry about.

FU97
January 31st, 2006, 06:03 PM
Recruiting violations can be as simple as running into a recruit in a public place after you have exhausted all your visits with him. I wouldn't be shocked if most schools had a minor violation of some sort every year or so.

Umass74
January 31st, 2006, 06:21 PM
A newbie with one post calls to tell us he heard of a recruiting violation.

There is an off chance that this is a troll ;)

colgate13
January 31st, 2006, 08:34 PM

Methinks just like my friend from UMass... guys, don't take the bait!!!! :)

blukeys
January 31st, 2006, 09:21 PM

Credibility is earned on this board and one post doesn't do it for me.

tshepdog83
January 31st, 2006, 10:17 PM
Hey guys - just asked about how to find the information. I'm new to this board but follow the Vent for a long time, just now really getting into the college scene. I've been following HS ball to this point but getting into GS because of my little cousin wanting to play there.

How can I find if this is true?? That's why I posted here, IF there is a problem where would it be listed officially? I called my buddy back and asked if he knew who the guys were, he's seen them in the bball area but doesn't know names.

Eaglegus2
January 31st, 2006, 10:40 PM
Hey guys - just asked about how to find the information. I'm new to this board but follow the Vent for a long time, just now really getting into the college scene. I've been following HS ball to this point but getting into GS because of my little cousin wanting to play there.

How can I find if this is true?? That's why I posted here, IF there is a problem where would it be listed officially? I called my buddy back and asked if he knew who the guys were, he's seen them in the bball area but doesn't know names.

Nothing builds my confidence like.............I don't know their names. :nono:

Maverick
January 31st, 2006, 11:03 PM
Minor infractions are self-reported to the conference compliance office. As to where these self-reported minor infractions can be found. Unless the school does a press release or the conference, they are not posted anywhere. The NCAA does have a database that lists major infractions that go before the infractions committee. When a decision is made, the results are made public I believe. The time it takes to report the secondary violations as they are called depends on how long it takes to get all the information needed for the report to be sent off. So I guess it is much ado about nothing (both the minor violation and the unecessary excitement over a non-event).
As someone new to college football, don't jump up and look for an NCAA investigation everytime the work infraction comes up. Unlike the old days, the NCAA encourages the self-reporting of such things. The reports include what happened, why it happened, what steps will be taken to prevent it from happening again, and any self-imposed penalties the school feels are appropriate. You can go to the NCAA website and download a copy of the NCAA manual, but without the interpretations and experience with these rules your idea of an "infraction" based on what you read in the manual is very likely to be mistaken.
Unless you want to get hired as the compliance person at a school, stay away from trying to play armchair detective.

Baldy
February 1st, 2006, 01:24 AM
Might have got GSU confused with Chattanooga who just had one player kicked off the team who got arrested for burning a Blunt.
The possible violation? He had a recruit with him in the car when he got pulled over. : retard :

nlwwln
February 1st, 2006, 03:20 AM

whaaa?? easy does it there guy. just relax everythings going to be ook. :nod: :rotateh:

EagleCrusade
February 1st, 2006, 07:05 AM

Seeing that this info was never mentioned on the GS board.....