PDA

View Full Version : Top 10

Fear the Bird
September 26th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I'm having a tough time finding 10 teams worthy of being in the top 10 this week, anybody else? I have a solid 8 and then I'm lost

BlueHenSinfonian
September 26th, 2010, 01:04 PM
1. 'Nova
2. Delaware
3. JMU
4. App State
5. UMass
6. Jacksonville State
7. W&M
8. Georgia Southern
9. Robert Morris ?
10. Western Illinois ?

You're right, those last two are hard to pick, a lot of teams with good records but with few quality wins. It will be another week or two before strength of schedule really clears up.

achrist70
September 26th, 2010, 01:06 PM
1. 'Nova
2. Delaware
3. JMU
4. App State
5. UMass
6. Jacksonville State
7. W&M
8. Georgia Southern
9. Robert Morris ?
10. Western Illinois ?

You're right, those last two are hard to pick, a lot of teams with good records but with few quality wins. It will be another week or two before strength of schedule really clears up.

Really Western Illinois, they beat Indiana State, not exactly worthy or a top 10 ranking

BlueHenSinfonian
September 26th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Really Western Illinois, they beat Indiana State, not exactly worthy or a top 10 ranking

I agree, but who else should be there?

Syntax Error
September 26th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Maybe

1. Villanova
2. Appalachian State
3. Jacksonville State
4. Delaware
5. Stephen F. Austin
6. James Madison
7. Massachusetts
8. South Carolina State
9. Montana State
10. Cal Poly

Fear the Bird
September 26th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Although not in that order, it is the 10 I ended up with

tw_fatcat
September 26th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Maybe

1. Villanova
2. Appalachian State
3. Jacksonville State
4. Delaware
5. Stephen F. Austin
6. James Madison
7. Massachusetts
8. South Carolina State
9. Montana State
10. Cal Poly

Cal Poly? Was not overly impressed with them when they came to my beloved Bobcats stadium and lost. Not saying they are bad but they are definitely not a top 10 team. I wouldn't argue that Texas State is top 10 at this point but in all honesty the wins are just as impressive with wins over Cal Poly and SUU. Montana has not been impressive and neither has McNeese at this point.

Syntax Error
September 26th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Maybe

1. Villanova
2. Appalachian State
3. Jacksonville State
4. Delaware
5. Stephen F. Austin
6. James Madison
7. Massachusetts
8. South Carolina State
9. Montana State
10. Cal Poly

Although not in that order, it is the 10 I ended up with

I did say maybe...

blukeys
September 26th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I'm having a tough time finding 10 teams worthy of being in the top 10 this week, anybody else? I have a solid 8 and then I'm lost

Take the CAA, leave out Towson, and then fill in with someone else such as ASU or Jacksonville State and you will be very close to reality.

Syntax Error
September 26th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Take the CAA, leave out Towson, and then fill in with someone else such as ASU or Jacksonville State and you will be very close to reality.

xlolx xhomerx

BlueHenSinfonian
September 26th, 2010, 03:23 PM
xlolx xhomerx

He isn't completely baseless. I'd throw our URI and maybe Maine as well, but even a team like UNH, which isn't doing so hot this year, could probably win a moderate strength conference like the SLC or Big Sky.

Syntax Error
September 26th, 2010, 03:27 PM
He isn't completely baseless. I'd throw our URI and maybe Maine as well, but even a team like UNH, which isn't doing so hot this year, could probably win a moderate strength conference like the SLC or Big Sky.

I never agree with "this team could win your conference" because we know that teams recruit to win a conference. So if "that team" played in another conference there are many other things to consider.

blukeys
September 26th, 2010, 03:31 PM
xlolx xhomerx

SE, the ultimate Midwest and GSU homer who has the biggest bias against UD strikes again. Tell us SE who will lose to the CAA in the playoffs this year? There will be a CAA team in the finals. You will once again try to explain the facts away. There are 4 CAA teams currently who have NC potential. No other conference has that type of resume.

Mntneer
September 26th, 2010, 03:34 PM
1. 'Nova
2. Delaware
3. JMU
4. App State
5. UMass
6. Jacksonville State
7. W&M
8. Georgia Southern
9. Robert Morris ?
10. Western Illinois ?

JMU over App, really? Really?

Syntax Error
September 26th, 2010, 03:43 PM
SE, the ultimate Midwest and GSU homer who has the biggest bias against UD strikes again. Tell us SE who will lose to the CAA in the playoffs this year? There will be a CAA team in the finals. You will once again try to explain the facts away. There are 4 CAA teams currently who have NC potential. No other conference has that type of resume.

Holy smokes 'keys, lighten up! With ZERO Midwest teams or GSU in my "maybe" top 10 BUT I INCLUDED UD you say I am biased? HAHAHAHHA. If you have any facts to back up your attempted "You will once again try to explain the facts away" character assassination then present them. You are so far off the mark and apparently blind to the FACT that I posted nearly half the top 10 from the CAA. I did notice you did not post a top 10...

Edge316007
September 26th, 2010, 04:12 PM

Delaware becomes relevant again and all the homers come out

BlueHenSinfonian
September 26th, 2010, 04:18 PM

ASU has two wins over midpack SoCon teams, but the other two are against a PFL school and a HBCU - hardly quality wins.

JMU's wins over Morehead state and Liberty aren't that valuable either, but VT > Samford + NC Central. After next week we will see where both JMU and Delaware really stand however.

Appattk
September 26th, 2010, 04:50 PM
ASU has two wins over midpack SoCon teams, but the other two are against a PFL school and a HBCU - hardly quality wins.

JMU's wins over Morehead state and Liberty aren't that valuable either, but VT > Samford + NC Central. After next week we will see where both JMU and Delaware really stand however.

I don't normally defend JMU... but the Liberty win is pretty nice... Liberty did beat Ball State... even if they're horrible... they're still a horrible FBS school.

UNH Fanboi
September 26th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Here's mine:

1. Delaware
2. Villanova
3. Appalachian St.
4. James Madison
5. Massachusetts
6. Stephen F. Austin
7. Montana St.
8. South Carolina St.
9. Jacksonville St.
10. Texas St.

Delaware has the complete package: great QB, great RB, great defense. JMU has the biggest win so far and a great defense, but their offense is too one-dimensional for them to be a #1 team. I expect Delaware to beat them next week. Nova is still very good, and I have Delaware only slightly ahead of them.

GaSouthern
September 26th, 2010, 06:59 PM
No way Georgia Southern belongs in the top 10, the only accomplishment we have is beating a down Elon team.

Horseshoe App
September 26th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Here's mine:

1. Delaware
2. Villanova
3. Appalachian St.
4. James Madison
5. Massachusetts
6. Stephen F. Austin
7. Montana St.
8. South Carolina St.
9. Jacksonville St.
10. Texas St.

Delaware has the complete package: great QB, great RB, great defense. JMU has the biggest win so far and a great defense, but their offense is too one-dimensional for them to be a #1 team. I expect Delaware to beat them next week. Nova is still very good, and I have Delaware only slightly ahead of them.

I am just glad we could be a middle of the road CAA team:)

BlueHenSinfonian
September 26th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I am just glad we could be a middle of the road CAA team:)

No problem, and we'd be glad to have you if 'Nova or URI jump ship. Y'all are even a pretty even match with the CAA for b-ball.

Thundar
September 26th, 2010, 10:08 PM
1. 'Nova
2. Delaware
3. JMU
4. App State
5. UMass
6. Jacksonville State
7. W&M
8. Georgia Southern
9. Robert Morris ?
10. Western Illinois ?

Western Illinois??? Don't you think maybe NDSU should get a look before them if your down to those? Kansas, Morgan St. and #20 South Dakota with the only loss on the road at UNI

I don't think we are a top 10 team yet, but should be ahead of WIU

CopperCat
September 26th, 2010, 10:49 PM

JMU was certainly tested more against Va Tech. Other than Chatty, App hasn't played anyone yet. We will learn more about JMU next weekend for sure, but for now yes they have earned the higher ranking by getting the biggest win of any FCS team this year.

mcveyrl
September 27th, 2010, 07:37 AM

Yea, I'm not really sure what your beef is with this...

First, JMU, right now, has the more impressive resume. If, for some reason, you are knocking us for the close win against Liberty, then you've got to knock yourselves for a close come-back win against Chatty.

Second, it won't matter next week, either we'll be ahead of ASU after beating Delaware or we will be behind after losing to Delaware.

asknoquarter21
September 27th, 2010, 09:25 AM
1. Villanova
2. Appalachian State
3. JMU
4. Delaware
5. Jacksonville St.
6. Stephen F Austin
7. UMASS
8. South Carolina State
9. Montana State
10.William and Mary

Villanova stays number 1 because they haven't been beaten yet.
The next 3 are interchangeable as JMU has the resume, but might be a bit overachieving. ASU hasn't had the games on the schedule yet. Delaware has looked good and I consider them square in the middle of the impressive resume and preseason projections debate.

As for the other 6 you have to find someone, right???

insideout08
September 27th, 2010, 10:34 AM
1. Villanova
2. Appalachian State
3. JMU
4. Delaware
5. Jacksonville St.
6. Stephen F Austin
7. UMASS
8. South Carolina State
9. Montana State
10.William and Mary

Villanova stays number 1 because they haven't been beaten yet.
The next 3 are interchangeable as JMU has the resume, but might be a bit overachieving. ASU hasn't had the games on the schedule yet. Delaware has looked good and I consider them square in the middle of the impressive resume and preseason projections debate.

As for the other 6 you have to find someone, right???

You may want to check Villanova's record.

Walkon79
September 27th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Cal Poly? Was not overly impressed with them when they came to my beloved Bobcats stadium and lost. Not saying they are bad but they are definitely not a top 10 team. I wouldn't argue that Texas State is top 10 at this point but in all honesty the wins are just as impressive with wins over Cal Poly and SUU. Montana has not been impressive and neither has McNeese at this point.

Montana has not been impressive, but Montana State has. They're one point away from being 4-0 with a win over a Pac 10, and beat the crap out of previous #9 Eastern Washington. Absolutely deserving of a top 10 ranking in my mind. (although admittedly tainted by blue and gold glasses)

NovaWildcat
September 27th, 2010, 11:57 AM
You may want to check Villanova's record.

The Temple loss should not be considered here. They are a decent FBS team, as evident by their pounding of UConn and battle this weekend with PSU.

Can't really figure how we aren't a consensus #1 - we have not been beaten by a FCS team and return a lot of players from a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP...sure UDel, AppSt & JMU definitely have some quality wins and look impressive, but I fail to see how they are worth of the #1 spot, just out of principle.

JMUNJ08
September 27th, 2010, 12:01 PM
The Temple loss should not be considered here. They are a decent FBS team, as evident by their pounding of UConn and battle this weekend with PSU.

Can't really figure how we aren't a consensus #1 - we have not been beaten by a FCS team and return a lot of players from a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP...sure UDel, AppSt & JMU definitely have some quality wins and look impressive, but I fail to see how they are worth of the #1 spot, just out of principle.

Thankfully you don't vote...All 4 teams deserve it with JMU being the most impressive thus far. Liberty will be back and no one is getting close to our VT win unless GaSt. can pull it out against 'Bama...

GannonFan
September 27th, 2010, 12:03 PM

Hey, if I was voting this year I would have nova be #1, but how can you not acknowledge that it's perfectly reasonable for others to have someone else be #1, especially teams like JMU and Jax St who beat their FBS teams, and with JMU beating an FBS team much more superior to the FBS team nova lost to? Temple's decent, but that's a game nova shouldva and couldva won - once the record is blemished, it's perfectly reasonable for others to vote in teams with unblemished records to be above nova.

JMUNJ08
September 27th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Here's mine:

1. Delaware
2. Villanova
3. Appalachian St.
4. James Madison
5. Massachusetts
6. Stephen F. Austin
7. Montana St.
8. South Carolina St.
9. Jacksonville St.
10. Texas St.

I recall a team that threw MAYBE 8 times per game and was the pretty unanimous #1 seed back in 2008...Delaware could very well beat us next week though and will be a great game!

The difference is that our 1 dimensional play isn't that great this year. Our passing game is improving but the switch isn't fully turned on yet. Now that the CAA starts up, lets see who can knock off who first.

soccerguy315
September 27th, 2010, 12:06 PM
IMO the only teams that deserve #1 votes are Nova and JMU.

Nova is undefeated in FCS and the defending national champion. JMU is undefeated with a huge win against Virginia Tech.

soccerguy315
September 27th, 2010, 12:08 PM
and with JMU beating an FBS team much more superior to the FBS team nova lost to?

this is questionable, IMO

GannonFan
September 27th, 2010, 12:10 PM
this is questionable, IMO

Eh, I don't see it. I certainly think Va Tech is a top 20 team, and there's no way anyone's going to convince me that Temple is a top 20 team. I'd certainly go with the notion that Va Tech completely overlooked JMU and with the short week following the Boise loss was simply not ready for the game, but that doesn't mean VA Tech isn't better than Temple.

insideout08
September 27th, 2010, 12:36 PM

Maybe it shouldn't be considered against a team with an all-FCS schedule thus far, but James Madison's win at Virginia Tech and undefeated record certainly seems more impressive right now.

But at least all of this gets settled on the field and not in a poll!

cderry
September 27th, 2010, 12:39 PM

Wow...are you only talking about this specific week or are you specifically trying to mention their worst game? They beat Valpo, Sam Houston and Indiana St by a combined score of 141-21. Then they lost by TEN to freakin' Purdue.

NovaWildcat
September 27th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Maybe it shouldn't be considered against a team with an all-FCS schedule thus far, but James Madison's win at Virginia Tech and undefeated record certainly seems more impressive right now.

But at least all of this gets settled on the field and not in a poll!

Fair enough. Could see JMU getting some votes due to the VaTech win, but App St. & UDel cannot possibly be voted over Nova just b/c we lost to a team that is better than anyone either has played so far.

Agreed - at least this gets settled on the field. Scheduling is SO uneven in college sports, just as evidenced by our Top 4 here.

UNH Fanboi
September 27th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Fair enough. Could see JMU getting some votes due to the VaTech win, but App St. & UDel cannot possibly be voted over Nova just b/c we lost to a team that is better than anyone either has played so far.

Agreed - at least this gets settled on the field. Scheduling is SO uneven in college sports, just as evidenced by our Top 4 here.

I have Delaware ranked #1 right now because I think they would beat Nova if they played each other on a neutral field today, not because Nova lost to Temple. I don't believe in the "The champs are #1 until they lose an FCS game" rule.

Edge316007
September 27th, 2010, 01:01 PM

Some people vote by results on the field rather than results on paper. Fact is, App is undefeated and beat the last 3 opponents rather easily.

GSUhooligan
September 27th, 2010, 01:18 PM
no one is getting close to our VT win unless GaSt. can pull it out against 'Bama...

I think an App win over Florida would trump your win over a 1-3 VT team.

JMUNJ08
September 27th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I think an App win over Florida would trump your win over a 1-3 VT team.

VT is 2-2 and Florida has looked shaky. If they play 'Bama well this weekend then we can talk...otherwise just a lofty preseason ranking

leatherneck177
September 27th, 2010, 02:20 PM

Western beat Valpo too!

RabidRabbit
September 27th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Western beat Valpo too!

Great! Beat dog food, and p*ssed on a fallen tree. xnodxxnodx Know the Jacks wished they had a neck's record rather than the goose-egg W column. xbangx

Saint3333
September 27th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I certainly don't predict ASU to win in the swamp, not sure why we are talking about that 45+ days from that game. I personally have ASU 4th behind Nova, JMU and SFA right now. ASU still has work to do on defense and now special teams are looking like the weak link.

HensRock
September 27th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Don't hold back MBP. Tell us how you REALLY feel.
Let it out. ;)

HappyAppy13
September 27th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Don't hold back MBP. Tell us how you REALLY feel.
Let it out. ;)

His first day on the board and he's already getting at it...

Twentysix
September 27th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Wow...are you only talking about this specific week or are you specifically trying to mention their worst game? They beat Valpo, Sam Houston and Indiana St by a combined score of 141-21. Then they lost by TEN to freakin' Purdue.

Id be willing to bet you score less than your opponents did when your in the fargodome. 16 is the most weve given up so far. I would guess that will be your point cap if you can get that high.

jmufan999
September 27th, 2010, 07:37 PM
for as many people that say VT is no good, a quick check shows them at #15 in the sagarins... surrounded by 4-0 Utah and 4-0 Auburn. believe the sag's if you want... well, there's really nothing to BELIEVE. it's a rating system. but put as much faith in that system as you want, VT is not a bad team. the logic i've heard behind that argument is absolutely idiotic.

PhoenixSupreme
September 27th, 2010, 08:11 PM
His first day on the board and he's already getting at it...

Wonder if he's the same guy who did all those fake Elon accounts, like lawdiddy, elonmarksthespot, and phoenixalltheway?

HappyAppy13
September 27th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Wonder if he's the same guy who did all those fake Elon accounts, like lawdiddy, elonmarksthespot, and phoenixalltheway?

HAHA, that guy.....wouldn't doubt it though

BlueHenSinfonian
September 27th, 2010, 08:38 PM
HAHA, that guy.....wouldn't doubt it though

Hmm, his posts seem to have disappeared. They were entertaining while they lasted.