PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 5

carney2
September 26th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Lots of things becoming clearer and only Georgetown likes what they see.

Week 5:

Harvard @ LAFAYETTE

FORDHAM @ HOLY CROSS

GEORGETOWN @ COLGATE

Cornell @ BUCKNELL

LEHIGH - Bye

Patriot League vs. OOC = 7-14

Vs. Big East: 0-1
vs. CAA: 1-3
vs. Ivy: 2-5
vs. MEAC: 1-0
vs. NEC: 1-2
vs. Northeast 10 (D-2): 0-1
vs. Pioneer: 2-1
vs. SoCon: 0-1

RECORDS/STANDINGS*:

League/Overall

Georgetown 2-0/3-1
Fordham 0-0/2-2
Lehigh 0-0/2-2
Colgate 0-0/1-2
Bucknell 0-0/0-3
Holy Cross 0-1/1-3
Lafayette 0-1/0-3

*Pick ‘em includes Fordham in League standings without regard to Patriot League eligibility rules.

ColgateTD
September 26th, 2010, 11:31 AM
PL winner could have 2 losses this year, or be involved in a tie-break. Really weak league overall, unless G'town is the new Alabama..Every team has a chance, and I wouldn't count out the Pards or Engineers. Jeez,... even Fordham and the Bisons have a chance! (..have I mentioned everyone?) Oh, yes, 'Gate-Hoyas this weekend could decide it all..

ngineer
September 26th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Wow, the first two games on the list involve all four teams who are coming off the mat after some brutal takedowns. How well each responds to their latest adversity will decide.

Haaaavaaaaard at Lafayette before this weekend, I figured to be a hard fought win for the Crimson. But despite the puddytats loss to Princeton, they did show some bright spots on offense that were missing at Penn. Without O'Neill, LC can' move. With him back and a new 'star' in the backfield they may make this more interesting. However, Harvard's passing game should find sufficient landing zones. I'm going to stick with the Crimson, but in a tight one, 24-21.

Rams have become Ewes? Crusaders of Holey Cross? I go with the sauce from Worcester only due to home field. Gotta think Gilmore is peeling paint in their locker room. Holy Cross, 28-27

If this were in DC I'd stick my neck out and pick the Hoyas like last week. But in the metropolis of Hamilton, I have to go with Each His Own and company. TOP against the 'cuse was impressive. Should translate into points at our level. Raiders, 34-24.

In the battle of the Nells, the question will be who has the heavier pocketbook to swing. Bison, coming off a bye week should have learned something and the Big Red must be redder after their embarrassment with the late Mayor Wagner. I think the Bison finally cash in some chips and squeak by, 13-10.

Lehigh gets a much needed bye. Very banged up from UNH, losing four defensive starters. Not sure how bad, but two weeks off should help some return by the 9th.

Sader87
September 26th, 2010, 07:25 PM
No one cares....the League sucked last year when we won it and has sucked since its inception in 1986.

Bogus Megapardus
September 26th, 2010, 07:39 PM
No one cares....the League sucked last year when we won it and has sucked since its inception in 1986.

Every single PL team then playing at the DI level (Colgate, Lafayette, Lehigh, Bucknell) beat you in the Glory Years and can still beat you. Just because we all now play in the same league and continue to beat you doesn't make it the league's fault.

And if you mention Boston College one more time, I'll hurl. That has nothing to do with the Patriot League and everything to do with the institutional pettiness between the schools that carries on today. Get over it.

Go...gate
September 26th, 2010, 07:49 PM

C'mon, take it easy. You remember HC '87, Lehigh '98 and '01, Colgate '03? All great squads.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 26th, 2010, 08:11 PM
You know - for real - if Cornell wallops Bucknell... what sort of sorry conference will the Patriot League have become?

Bogus Megapardus
September 26th, 2010, 08:12 PM
You know - for real - if Cornell wallops Bucknell... what sort of sorry conference will the Patriot League have become?

Ask Sader87. He'll tell you. Really.

Franks Tanks
September 26th, 2010, 10:29 PM
As bad as we think the league is this year it has been worse. In 1994 Lafayette lost all 6 non-conference games, but swept through the league undefeated to win the league title at 5-6.

Yes we are struggling this year, but just a few years ago our teams were winning playoff games vs. the CAA. What changed? I have no idea, but we may catch another upswing once again.

Also Holy Cross poster are really off their rocker. Folks like Sader 87 compare everything to a 5-6 year run by Cross in the mid to late 80's that was among the best runs in college football history. Guess what...Georgia Southern, Youngstown State, and Eastern Kentucky offer scholarships and have no AI but they all fell off as well.

jimbo65
September 27th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Harvard over Pards, unfortunately

Jesuit Jihad tough to call, Rams to win because I don't want to go against them.

Colgate over Gtown, if it goes the other way, there is a new sheriff in town.

Battle of the Nels another tossup. Nod to the home Bisons

carney2
September 27th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Harvard @ LAFAYETTE
Harvard – The Pard faithful are studying the schedule looking for someone – anyone – they can beat. It isn’t the Johns. This, by the way, would be the Pards’ 6th consecutive loss, going back to November of 2009. The Curse, Part 3.

FORDHAM @ HOLY CROSS
Holy Cross – The Rams are making a strong case for the anti-scholarship crowd, while the ‘saders are making a case for the folks who said this was a one trick pony the last few years. What a choice. The home team.

GEORGETOWN @ COLGATE
Colgate – A return to sanity.

Cornell @ BUCKNELL
Bucknell – Agreeing with LFN, if the Buffaloes can’t pull this off it is a sign that the Patriot League has broken through the bottom of the barrel. More of a prayer than a prediction.

16-7 (70%) after 4 weeks.

ColgateTD
September 27th, 2010, 11:06 AM

Funny how 'Cross was so great during Randolph's four years, but now the whole league stinks after he's gone..

RichH2
September 27th, 2010, 12:55 PM
HC going thru the same "sky is falling" mode as LU did a few yrs back. We were mediocre to bad therefore PL was collapsing. I was one of the guilty ones. Altho, this yr other than GU none of us are doing too well. Gate did move tha ball vs Cuse but couldn't stop them. They are far and away the claas of the PL so far, unless Hoyas beat'em

TheValleyRaider
September 27th, 2010, 11:22 PM
3-2 last week, 13-10 overall on the season. Need a big weekend at some point

Harvard at Lafayette Harvard What was expected to be a league-title contending season in Easton has suddenly gone quite sour. Things that could go wrong have as the Leopards open up at 0-3. Not exactly the kind of position you want to be in when Harvard comes to town. Still, at least they only have one PL loss

Fordham at Holy Cross Holy Cross Speaking of degenerating quickly, what's happened to the Crusaders? Or Fordham, for that matter, given their run through the PL in 2007? Picking the Cross first because they're at home, and two because I do think they are capable of better than what their record shows to this point

Georgetown at Colgate Colgate This is the Hoya's first trip to Hamilton since 2006 (otherwise known as "back in my day..."), and it seems to be quite a different squad. Records are reversed, but I'm not about to jump on the Hoya bandwagon just yet. Colgate still brings the League's biggest line and most-experienced QB, plus the force of nature that is Nate Eachus. We were picked as favorites for a reason

Cornell at Bucknell Bucknell To be honest, Bucknell has not looked very good so far. To be more delightfully honest, neither has Cornell. Bucknell's at home, so that's got to count for something, otherwise *expletive* you, Red

letsgopards04
September 28th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Harvard @ LAFAYETTE - The Lafayette defense gave up plays over the middle when stops were needed on Saturday. A coach yelled at the team during the game "who wants to make a play", yes who does?
FORDHAM @ HOLY CROSS
GEORGETOWN @ COLGATE - A dose of reality.
Cornell @ BUCKNELL

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2010, 09:06 AM
This week's lines:

Yale (-7) vs Albany

Harvard (-5) at Lafayette

Columbia (-2.5) vs Princeton

Holy Cross (-3.5) vs Fordham

Brown (-4.5) at Rhode Island

Colgate (-3) vs Georgetown

Penn (-13) vs Dartmouth

Bucknell (-3) vs Cornell

Lehigh Football Nation
September 28th, 2010, 09:26 AM

Never before have I been THIS tempted to put some sheckles on the outcome of a sporting event.

CFBfan
September 28th, 2010, 09:35 AM
This week's lines:

Yale (-7) vs Albany

Harvard (-5) at Lafayette

Columbia (-2.5) vs Princeton

Brown (-4.5) at Rhode Island

Colgate (-3) vs Georgetown

Penn (-13) vs Dartmouth

Bucknell (-3) vs Cornell

Albany +7
Harvard -5
Princeton +2.5
Fordham +3.5
RI +4.5Dartmouth +13
Cornell -3

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Never before have I been THIS tempted to put some sheckles on the outcome of a sporting event.

Fordham could make it a Woo-town trifecta by playing Division III WPI the following week. Like Assumption, the WPI Engineers are having a terrific season, fresh off a win over RPI, with Union up next.

jimbo65
September 28th, 2010, 12:18 PM

LFN who would you pick, I presume HC yet the home team usually gets 3-4 pts which would make this a draw.

ngineer
September 28th, 2010, 12:42 PM
LFN who would you pick, I presume HC yet the home team usually gets 3-4 pts which would make this a draw.

I was going to say, I call this game 'even' other than whatever juice the homefield gives.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 28th, 2010, 12:52 PM

Holy Cross has averaged less than a touchdown in their last three games. Fordham has faults, but scoring points isn't one of them. That's all I have to say.

jimbo65
September 28th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Holy Cross has averaged less than a touchdown in their last three games. Fordham has faults, but scoring points isn't one of them. That's all I have to say.
From your lips to God's ears.

ColgateTD
September 29th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Harvard - Pards bad luck extends to homefield (sorry Carney)
Fordham - Just don't see the Cross scoring much, even at home
Bucknell - this is a game that should prove manageable for the Bison
Colgate - Battle for the PL Crown? Biddle should have the troops ready after beatdown by 'Cuse.

16-7 on the season

Ivytalk
September 29th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Harvard looked terrible at Brown. I pick Lafayette at home. In other PL games, I pick Fordham, Cornell and Colgate.

van
September 29th, 2010, 06:15 PM
My record this year is abysmal, but here goes:

Harvard should handle the pards if they are not overconfident
if the good Fordham shows up they handle the Cross easily
Bucknell may have found someone they can beat
I am not yet sold on the Hoyas, especially in Hamilton

carney2
September 29th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Harvard - Pards bad luck extends to homefield (sorry Carney)

I may be looking for some apoogies the way this season is going, but not from you.

DFW HOYA
September 29th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Fordham vs. Holy Cross might well be titled the Disgruntled Alumni Bowl. I'm not sure who is more grumpy this week, the Ram-backers who saw Fordham lose to Division II Assumption, or the Crusader alumni who had to stomach losing at Georgetown.

The HC offense has been stagnant of late but that was during three straight road games. I've got to think they kick it back into gear at home. Fordham begins a three week road trip to Holy Cross, Lehigh and Yale, none of which are easy.

I'll also go Harvard over Lafayette and Cornell upsetting the lagging Bison.

kDex86
September 29th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Harvard -- what's wrong with the Leopards this year?
Holy Cross -- Crusaders right the ship at home
Bucknell -- new coach should finally get his 1st win
Colgate -- order is restored in the Patriot League

LU65
September 29th, 2010, 10:45 PM
I'll go chalk - at least in Sagarin's eyes.

CU by 4 over GT (no PL team goes undefeated this year....the race becomes a wide-open affair)

Fordham by 1 over HC (the Ram's will be a focused bunch, avoiding eye contact with Assumption as they travel into and through Worcester)

BU by 1 over Cornell (the 238th best team in America edges out the 234th best in a 7-6 thriller)

Harvard by 10 over Lafayette - I see it closer, however. Let's say Harvard by 7. Lehigh to watch it closely as they plan a trip to Beantown in two weeks.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 29th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Lehigh to watch it closely as they plan a trip to Beantown in two weeks.

How did you know I'd be following this game? xlolx

Pard4Life
September 30th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Harvard 28, Lafayette 24 - Just because.

Colgate 35, Georgetown 21 - Party's over. The Yankees of the Patriot League always win.

Fordham 31, Holy Cross 24 - LFN is right, Rams can score.

Bucknell 20, Cornell 14 - Bison get their first win before the Pards, who remain the PL's sole winless team. xrotatehx

Last week 4-1, Season 14-9

carney2
September 30th, 2010, 01:03 PM
what's wrong with the Leopards this year?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Tavani,
Than are dreamt of in your leather helmet playbook.

That, and 10-12 other things.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 30th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I am not saying by any stretch of the imagination that this will happen, but what if the end result of this weekend are two embarrassing losses by Bucknell and Lafayette to Cornell and Harvard, respectively?

Would presidents twitter each other and say, "We need scholarships yesterday"?

Or would they care?

Bogus Megapardus
September 30th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Harvard @ Lafayette - Coming off a miserable performance at Brown where they rushed for minus 32 yards, the Crimson are looking forward to returning home to face equally miserable Cornell. Johnny Harvard forgets there's a game in between in Easton and the Pards sneak away with their first win. Lafayette 23-21

Fordham @ Holy Cross - Father Damien reportedly gave the halftime speech in the Hoya locker room last week that sent the Crusaders tumbling down the Exorcist steps. The hex remains upon them. Fordham 17-13

Georgetown @ Colgate - Father Damien does not dress for road trips. Colgate 31-17

Cornell @ Bucknell - My pre-season speculation that the Bison would be a force to contend with this year has turned to buffalo chips. Cornell 20-14

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 30th, 2010, 01:32 PM
2-3 last week which make for a very mediocre 14-9 record

Fordham 28 Holy Cross 17
Bucknell 24 Cornell 17 - just flip a coin?
Lafayette 27 Harvard 21
Colgate 42 Georgetown 24 - the dream dies....

ngineer
September 30th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I am not saying by any stretch of the imagination that this will happen, but what if the end result of this weekend are two embarrassing losses by Bucknell and Lafayette to Cornell and Harvard, respectively?

Or would they care?

No.

As I posted on the Groller thread, his article in today's Morning Call indicates that the results on the field will mean diddly to the Prezidentz. www.mcall.com/sports

Lehigh Football Nation
September 30th, 2010, 01:47 PM
No.

As I posted on the Groller thread, his article in today's Morning Call indicates that the results on the field will mean diddly to the Prezidentz. www.mcall.com/sports

I understand that, but I have a hard time believing that.

I can see that, to the presidents, losses to the CAA are one thing, and don't matter much. They can accept that - and all things remaining equal, it's all about cost.

But embarrassments against the Ivy League - our supposed Division I peers academically and athletically - I happen to think that's another thing entirely. If Cornell gets one win this year and it's over Bucknell, I have a very, very hard time believing that will be sitting very well with the country club set.

98hoya
September 30th, 2010, 02:38 PM

Or would they care?

Are losses to Cornell and Harvard really considered embarrassing? We're all non-scholarship programs, it's not like our P.L. guys get free rides. Plus, my guess is that of the good non-scholarship level football players who are in the top 15% of their high school classes, they all get recruited by both the P.L. and Ivy...and that 90% of the really good players who are also really good students would prefer Harvard over Lehigh. As a result, Harvard should have better players (not to mention more money, a better location, etc.).

Sader87
September 30th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Are losses to Cornell and Harvard really considered embarrassing? We're all non-scholarship programs, it's not like our P.L. guys get free rides. Plus, my guess is that of the good non-scholarship level football players who are in the top 15% of their high school classes, they all get recruited by both the P.L. and Ivy...and that 90% of the really good players who are also really good students would prefer Harvard over Lehigh. As a result, Harvard should have better players (not to mention more money, a better location, etc.).

And therein lies why PL non-scholarship football has been a failed experiment from the absolute get-go.

CFBfan
September 30th, 2010, 04:46 PM

And therein lies why PL non-scholarship football has been a failed experiment from the absolute get-go.

I say the PL sucks and they single handedly destroyed Holy Cross football!!!

TheValleyRaider
September 30th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Are losses to Cornell...really considered embarrassing?

Yes

ngineer
September 30th, 2010, 07:06 PM

And that's the way it is now...in general, Harvard has better players. There are always exceptions because some players develop late and others don't. But, again, not eveyone can go to Harvard. They only have so many slots each year. But IL, at least the top schools, have an effective scholarship program with their free rides to a good portion of students with incomes under $150K or whatever it is.

Go...gate
September 30th, 2010, 08:25 PM

Or would they care?

I don't think it would make much difference. Ivies are routine opponents and most years (except the early -mid 1990's) the schools basically split most of the games.

carney2
October 1st, 2010, 08:07 AM
I don't think it would make much difference. Ivies are routine opponents and most years (except the early -mid 1990's) the schools basically split most of the games.

Take Lafayette out of your calculations and you might be right.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 1st, 2010, 10:09 AM
I seriously doubt it, since:

* Bucknell is 0-for-Ivy since 2007 (0-4)
* Georgetown is 0-for-Ivy since 2004 (0-10)
* After Lehigh's win over Princeton this year, it broke a 7 game losing streak to the Ivies

In years past, there has been a team or two (Colgate, Lafayette, Holy Cross) that have had winning records vs. the Ivies to make the overall record respectable. I also happen to think that it is a metric that Patriot League presidents do happen to care about to some degree.

But what if Colgate loses to Princeton, Harvard sweeps through Lehigh and Lafayette in blowout victories, and Dartmouth and Cornell both beat up on Bucknell? We're talking a pitiful record against our supposed peers. Even a Colgate win over Cornell and a Lafayette win over Columbia wouldn't be enough to salvage it.

And Lafayette barely beat Columbia last year, and two years ago Princeton took Colgate to OT. Do you see those games as slam-dunk PL wins in 2010? I don't. Only the Colgate/Cornell game seems like a mismatch on paper - and that's a big rivalry, so anything could happen.

Bogus Megapardus
October 1st, 2010, 10:35 AM
Patriot League presidents do happen to care about to some degree.

Since we play seventeen games against Ivy this year, that would stand to reason. Some years it's even more than that.

Leopard Loyalist
October 1st, 2010, 08:10 PM
Lafayette 24 Harvard 21 (A leap of faith.)
Fordham 24 Holy Cross 17
Colgate 31 Georgetown 21
Cornell 17 Bucknell 14

Pards Rule
October 1st, 2010, 08:48 PM
Lafayette 24 Harvard 21 (A leap of faith.)
Fordham 24 Holy Cross 17
Colgate 31 Georgetown 21
Cornell 17 Bucknell 14

Yes I will be at the game tomorrow. Nephew will see his first Pards game tomorrow!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 1st, 2010, 10:53 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2010/10/week-five-football-predictions-10022010.html

Pulling for some big Patriot League wins tomorrow. Yes, you too, 'Pards, though I picked Harvard to win.

DerHoya
October 2nd, 2010, 02:03 AM
Lots of things becoming clearer and only Georgetown likes what they see.

Week 5:

Harvard @ LAFAYETTE
FORDHAM @ HOLY CROSS
GEORGETOWN @ COLGATE
Cornell @ BUCKNELL
LEHIGH - Bye

Fordham
Cornell
Laf
Gate - it will be very close I suspect.
Bye

Pards Rule
October 2nd, 2010, 06:04 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2010/10/week-five-football-predictions-10022010.html

Pulling for some big Patriot League wins tomorrow. Yes, you too, 'Pards, though I picked Harvard to win.

Thanks LFN! This really is a must win to salvage season!

carney2
October 2nd, 2010, 07:58 AM
I seriously doubt it, since:

* Bucknell is 0-for-Ivy since 2007 (0-4)
* Georgetown is 0-for-Ivy since 2004 (0-10)
* After Lehigh's win over Princeton this year, it broke a 7 game losing streak to the Ivies

Children! Why do I even try when the memories barely even include Bush II, let alone Bush I?!! With Lafayette we're talking the feakin' Curse here. It goes back to the 19th century fergawdsake. And you choose to deal with records since, what...2007. Get with the program, LFN. The Big Picture!!!

CrusaderBob
October 2nd, 2010, 09:20 AM
2 - 3 Last Week

11 - 12 on the Season

Not sure why I keep trying but, here goes ...

Harvard
Holy Cross
Colgate
Cornell

Lehigh Football Nation
October 2nd, 2010, 01:17 PM
I understand that, but I have a hard time believing that.

I can see that, to the presidents, losses to the CAA are one thing, and don't matter much. They can accept that - and all things remaining equal, it's all about cost.

But embarrassments against the Ivy League - our supposed Division I peers academically and athletically - I happen to think that's another thing entirely. If Cornell gets one win this year and it's over Bucknell, I have a very, very hard time believing that will be sitting very well with the country club set.

I am sitting here, watching Lafayette get positively humiliated by Harvard 35-3, and just saw a great KO return for a TD called back due to ablock in the back.

STILL think scholarships are a 50/50 proposition? Especially if Bucknell lays a similar egg this weekend? I can't believe that the PL will sit idly by and let Harvard beat the supposed class of our conference by 30+ points.

DFW HOYA
October 2nd, 2010, 04:00 PM
STILL think scholarships are a 50/50 proposition? Especially if Bucknell lays a similar egg this weekend? I can't believe that the PL will sit idly by and let Harvard beat the supposed class of our conference by 30+ points.

As long as it's not an 86/14 proposition, e.g., six-sevenths of the league going one way and one-seventh standing with none.

carney2
October 2nd, 2010, 06:15 PM
The Patriot League continues to circle the FCS bowl, but at an accelerating rate with Cornell beating Bucknell 21-12 late.

Uh oh, I think it's a final.

ColgateTD
October 2nd, 2010, 08:09 PM
Looks like the de facto PL champion was crowned in Hamilton this afternoon. Need to pay attention to detail tho' and finsh off the season..

TheValleyRaider
October 2nd, 2010, 09:56 PM
Looks like the de facto PL champion was crowned in Hamilton this afternoon. Need to pay attention to detail tho' and finsh off the season..

Much as I've been poo-pooing Lehigh's chances this year, so far they haven't lost a League game, or any game they were supposed to win, and we still have to go to Bethlehem

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 2nd, 2010, 10:08 PM
I was in West Point for the Temple-Army game so i only saw the results today. Nothing really jumped out besides Lafayette getting crushed.

Go...gate
October 2nd, 2010, 10:12 PM
I was in West Point for the Temple-Army game so i only saw the results today. Nothing really jumped out besides Lafayette getting crushed.

Congratulations to Temple. That was a great come-from-behind win.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 2nd, 2010, 10:20 PM
Congratulations to Temple. That was a great come-from-behind win.

It was a great win but an even better afternoon. One could not ask for a more absolutely perfect early October day to spend in West Point. The last time i was there was in '95 for a Lehigh-Army game and the place was just as a i remembered it, awesome!