PDA

View Full Version : Southland Conference - Week Five Predictions

TexasTerror
September 26th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Welcome to our annual Southland Conference prediction thread. I will not be keeping track of everyone's results week to week, so you are more than welcome to do your part in helping out! For purposes of Lamar's entrance into the league in 2011, we'll also be including them in our predictions!

Week Five Game Listing
Sam Houston State @ Lamar
McNeese State @ Northwestern State

Week Five TT's Predictions & Quick Analysis

Sam Houston State @ Lamar - SHSU is coming off a win. Lamar was stomped. I think SHSU is going to have a hard time winning on the road, though optimistic they'll win. Because I'm trying to stray from being partial - LAMAR

McNeese State @ Northwestern State - Northwestern State got their win, but the last win against a Div I team came in 2008 when Scott Stoker was on campus. Been awhile for Bradley Dale Peveto, as in never. BDP can praise everyone he wants, but the ultimate result comes in the W/L column. McNEESE STATE

TT's Predictions All-Time Results
2007 Record: 46-14 (24-4 SLC)
2008 Record: 40-22 (9-18 SLC)
2009 Record: 41-22 (16-12 SLC)
2010 Record: 24-5 (0-0 SLC)
Total: 154-63 (49-34 SLC)

BEAR
September 26th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Sam Houston State @ Lamar -After Lamar's destruction and Sam's impressive play on TV, should be Sammy BIG! 48 - 14
McNeese State @ Northwestern State- Can't go against a team two weeks in a row. McNeese is not gonna lose two in a row. 35 - 21

Football
Team SLC Overall
Central Arkansas- injury riddled freshman laden team..maybe be a .500 year.
0-0 3-1
Stephen F. Austin- rolling
0-0 3-1
Texas State- hanging in
0-0 3-1
McNeese State- not this year
0-0 1-2
Sam Houston State- getting stronger
0-0 1-2
Nicholls- nope
0-0 1-3
Northwestern State- nope
0-0 1-3
Southeastern Louisiana-nada
0-0 1-3

JohnStOnge
September 26th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Boy, I'll tell ya. Right now it's hard to be confident McNeese will beat anybody. Among other things the Cowboys have the dubious distinction of having the most turnovers per game (4.33) among FCS schools. They also are tied, with UNI of all people, for the worst turnover margin (-2.67).

I guess the "glass half full" approach would be to say that turning the ball over a lot is something that's potentially correctable to some extent. But, man, it's bad. Looks to me like Texas State and MAYBE Central Arkansas represent the only possible resistance to Stephen F. Austin this year.

My picks are Sam Houston State and Northwestern State.

I think we got a better line on Lamar last night. We can now see that almost beating McNeese was almost beating what has been a pretty bad team. The win over Southeastern was notable, but Lamar also struggled with a 1-3 NAIA team from a program, Webber International, that has never had a winning record. It's time to conclude Stephen F. Austin is better than I thought but, still, being down by the final score of 71-3 at the end of the third quarter is a bit much.

McNeese and Northwestern State are both struggling but Northwestern State is at home. I also think there's a difference in psychology. Northwestern State's players are coming off a winless season and came in knowing there was a lot of work to do. McNeese's players came into the season expecting to contend for the conference title and they have had a cold slap in the face. I guess I'd say that if McNeese doesn't lose the turnover battle the Cowboys should still win but I think the Cowboys must be in shock right now and I don't know if they can recover before next week.

McNeese75
September 26th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I will go with

SHSU and McNeese (and will probably lose both of them)

2010 results

21-10

GeauxLions94
September 27th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Sam Houston State @ Lamar - I'll take Lamar in the upset at home
McNeese State @ Northwestern State - Can't believe I need to coin to flip on this one ... will stick with the Cowboys

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Sam Houston State @ Lamar - I'll take Lamar in the upset at home
McNeese State @ Northwestern State - Can't believe I need to coin to flip on this one ... will stick with the Cowboys

Is Lamar over Sam really an upset? Both teams are young. SHSU may actually be younger than Lamar, believe it or not... would be worth checking.

Cat79
September 27th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I will go with

SHSU and McNeese (and will probably lose both of them)

2010 results

21-10

You should have known better than bet against Texas State at home. Southern Utah has won very few times at Bobcat Stadium. Our true freshman QB Tyler Arndt has come a long way fast. This kid in his freshman year has looked like Bradley George as a senior. He has made drastic improvements since the first two games. He had two long passes over the shoulder of the receivers where the defender had no chance at the ball.

McNeese75
September 27th, 2010, 01:56 PM
You should have known better than bet against Texas State at home. Southern Utah has won very few times at Bobcat Stadium. Our true freshman QB Tyler Arndt has come a long way fast. This kid in his freshman year has looked like Bradley George as a senior. He has made drastic improvements since the first two games. He had two long passes over the shoulder of the receivers where the defender had no chance at the ball.

Nope, if I had it to do over again I would probably vote the same way. SUU had the reciever, etc that caused the Bobcats so much trouble last year back so I went with that. Don't act like Wacker is the fortress of solitude for the Bobcats, LOL. Freshman QB sounds like a talent but he is still a freshman.

Cat79
September 27th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Nope, if I had it to do over again I would probably vote the same way. SUU had the reciever, etc that caused the Bobcats so much trouble last year back so I went with that. Don't act like Wacker is the fortress of solitude for the Bobcats, LOL. Freshman QB sounds like a talent but he is still a freshman.

BTW, 2008 season was the only time in six tries Southern Utah had defeated Texas State in Bobcat Stadium. We have never beaten the TBirds at their place.

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2010, 02:58 PM
BTW, 2008 season was the only time in six tries Southern Utah had defeated Texas State in Bobcat Stadium. We have never beaten the TBirds at their place.

One of the reasons that Cal Poly win means a lot more... especially since they traveled halfway across the country and won in a tough venue. A road win against a Div I foe means a lot in FCS - because it's going to take at least 2 or 3 of those to make sure you are talking football after Thanksgiving!

Cat79
September 27th, 2010, 03:08 PM

Tyson Poots the All American WR is who you are referring to right? He did not do much against us this time.

Cat79
September 27th, 2010, 03:17 PM
TT

That Southern Utah team is a solid team. Their two losses prior to playing us was losing close games to FBS teams. I understand the point you are making due to Cal Poly's winning history.

I have a feeling Texas State can hang and possibly cause problems for SFA in Nac. Our defense allows yardage but not that many points when the game is on the line.

We have SLU up next in Hammond. They have our undivided attention due to last year. Coach Wright will not have to motivate our team much for the next game.

houtexan
September 27th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Is Lamar over Sam really an upset? Both teams are young. SHSU may actually be younger than Lamar, believe it or not... would be worth checking.

Depends on which Lamar team shows up (Jekyl and Hyde I believed you called them elsewhere).

I'm going with Lamar to win this one 21-17 and McNeese over Northwestern St.

msusig
September 27th, 2010, 06:25 PM
MSU @ NWST - I reluctantly pick the cowboys. I will not be picking them the rest of the year if we lose this one.
Sam Houston @ Lamar

27-4

The worse I can do is go 1-1 this week. I'd say SFA wins conference with Central Arkansas and Texas State battling for playoffs spots. Too bad McNeese is looking horrible this year.xnonono2x I'll be rooting for the SLC in the playoffs.

El Gato
September 27th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Honesty, I think SHSU and Lamar is a toss up....Lamar nearly taking down MSU, defeating SLU but blown out by SFA (which is explainable of SFA is a Top 5 team, which I think they may be). Think Lamar will take it.

MSU should be able to taken down the Demons, but again the Cowboys recent woes have me also second guessing this one. But, have to believe that the Cowboys know how to pull it off. If McNeese loses though, what does that say about Cal Poly's win and thus Texas State's win over CP? I'm rooting for McNeese.

MSU_77
September 28th, 2010, 11:54 AM
...If McNeese loses though, what does that say about Cal Poly's win and thus Texas State's win over CP? I'm rooting for McNeese...

Not much; you can't infer anything from outcomes of games with common opponents. If McNeese does pull off a win (not predicting they will), it will be a huge relief and morale boost, especially with SFA coming to The Hole the following Saturday.

McNeese75
September 28th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I am not taking anything away from CP, they have a very nice team. But just about anyone is going to get beat turning the ball over 5 times in a game and unfortunately, McNeese is almost doing that every game so far. If that gets corrected well then things should be more competitive.

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Based on Bevil being a "game-time decision" - how does that impact everyone's thinking for Lamar-SHSU? I currently have Lamar beating SHSU, but Bevil is the difference-maker. If they put in a guy with limited experience (if any) at the college level - he's in trouble with a DC like Stoker who has plenty of familiarity with the Whitten offensive scheme ...

For more discussion on SHSU @ Lamar - SHSU @ Lamar Game Thread (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?75089-SHSU-Lamar-Game-Thread)

McNeese75
September 30th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Without Bevil, I think the Kats take it.

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 05:17 PM
McNeese 24-7 Northwestern State FINAL

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 08:45 PM
Split... SHSU wins, McNeese wins...

TT's Predictions All-Time Results
2007 Record: 46-14 (24-4 SLC)
2008 Record: 40-22 (9-18 SLC)
2009 Record: 41-22 (16-12 SLC)
2010 Record: 25-6 (1-0 SLC)
Total: 155-64 (50-34 SLC)