PDA

View Full Version : Cal Poly v. McNeese

cpalum
September 25th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Cal Poly 24
McNeese 7

At the half...Cal Poly looking very good, even showing a bit of a passing gamexsmileyclapx

McNeese looking a bit flat, I expect them to make a run in the second

malibudude
September 25th, 2010, 09:21 PM
38-7 CP 3 minutes into the second half, then a lightning delay...

purplejacks
September 25th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Cowboys are in a huge rebuilding year... better get used to these lopsided scores

slostang
September 25th, 2010, 10:40 PM
40-14 final. Good game by the Mustangs.

FormerPokeCenter
September 25th, 2010, 11:46 PM
40-14 final. Good game by the Mustangs.

Congrats on the win, Cal-Poly....

It's gonna be a long year for us....

Squealofthepig
September 26th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Not sure if the doom & gloom in bayou country is warranted; Cal Poly is a pretty darned good team. Still surprising to see the score, but I wouldn't buy a gravestone on the season just yet.

msupokes1
September 26th, 2010, 07:43 AM
The doom in gloom in bayou country is not just from this one game. It is from what we have seen over the first three games. We have a soft defense and a very inconsistent offense. Our defense has been like this for years but it is painful to watch this offense. I wish we would just start the QB we recruited out of high school and build him for the future.

JohnStOnge
September 26th, 2010, 10:22 AM
The doom in gloom in bayou country is not just from this one game. It is from what we have seen over the first three games. We have a soft defense and a very inconsistent offense. Our defense has been like this for years but it is painful to watch this offense. I wish we would just start the QB we recruited out of high school and build him for the future.

Well, it's hard to argue that the starter has been effective or not to notice that he just hasn't been accurate in throwing short and intermediate routes. But at the least maybe they can improve their game by game chances some by doing a better job of protecting the football. They now "lead" FCS with an average of 4.33 turnovers per game and they committed 10 turnovers...5 in each contest...during their two blowout losses.

It HAS been kind of discouraging to have heard all the good reports on the transfer quarterback then have him have so much difficulty with his accuracy involving short and intermediate routes. Odd the way he has been so accurate on long throws but has struggled to hit the short and intermediate throws to open receivers. A lot of McNeese drives have been stopped by that. That and turnovers. If you think about it if you have five drives in a game ended by turnovers that's a substantial proportion of the possessions a team is going to get during a football game.

JohnStOnge
September 26th, 2010, 10:35 AM
I'm not giving up on the Cowboys just yet. I look at stuff like Michigan opening the 2007 season by losing to Appalachian State then getting blown out by Oregon yet being good enough at the end to dominate Florida to a much greater extent than the score indicated. It's rare but dramatic "in-season" turnarounds do happen and I do think McNeese has pretty good athletes for the FCS context.

Of course I realize it's a very long shot.

MSU_77
September 26th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Cowboys are in a huge rebuilding year... better get used to these lopsided scores

Not sure you can call it a "rebuilding" year when the defense has practically all of its starters back. More like a disappointing year. We all thought the Cowboys would be more competitive than they have shown so far. I hope they get it together.

FormerPokeCenter
September 26th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Well, my despair isn't with the loss to Cal-Poly. They're a quality program. My despair stems from the fact that we're not playing Cowboy football. Nobody's tackling, and when we're behind, we're doing stupid stuff, like getting unsportsmanlike conduct penallties on meaningless plays. That, and we've got kids who're chest bumping each other for making the plays they're supposed to make...when we're behind 40-7. Chest bumping? Really?

Oh yeah, and players just giving up on catchable balls when they're behind 40-7.

I think the Bowers kid is an asset to the program and I'm gald he came. If I were Matt Viator, I'd have given him the same chance that Matt did and I'd have tried to devise an offene that plays to his strengths....

BUT....That being said. If we're going to be a seasonn where we take our lumps, I'd have to make the hard decision and go with one of the younger guys and start building for next year. It doesn't appear that inserting a fungible QB transfer is going to help, so it's time - in my humble opinion - to get the younger guys some snaps so we're not in this same position next year.

slostang
September 26th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Best of luck to the Cowboys the rest of the season. I really wish I could of made the game to experience some of your famous tailgating. McNeese State has some of the best fans in the FCS and have a very good and proud program. You will bounce back.

doc pepper
September 27th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I was able to attend the game as a Mustang fan. The Cowboy fans were some of the friendliest and most knowledgeable FCS fans around. Great tailgate scene and we were invited numerous times to come in and share a beer and some food to talk about CP and FCS football. They congratulated us on our win and wished us well, even though their team struggled. We had a great time in Lake Charles and hope the Cowboys come visit SLO. If you do, I hope we treat your fans as well as we were treated. Good luck with the rest of your season.

Poly's Brutality
September 27th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I was able to attend the game as a Mustang fan. The Cowboy fans were some of the friendliest and most knowledgeable FCS fans around. Great tailgate scene and we were invited numerous times to come in and share a beer and some food to talk about CP and FCS football. They congratulated us on our win and wished us well, even though their team struggled. We had a great time in Lake Charles and hope the Cowboys come visit SLO. If you do, I hope we treat your fans as well as we were treated. Good luck with the rest of your season.

For sure, me there too, was awesome experience. Fans were truly great, friendly, thanked us for coming even, the party out at the student lawn was great, the cajun/zydeco/rock band was awesome, guy named Keith Frank, even bought the CD. Some fans even passed out ponchos - to us - when the rains came. Well worth the effort to get there - GO COWBOYS!!

DG Cowboy
September 28th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Well, maybe we should have left the Cowboys out during the lightning delay to catch a jump start bolt in the derrierre, but it was over by then. Cal Poly was classy, well-coached and I enjoyed the way they play. Wish we would have given them a game.

I hope they keep it going and do well in the playoffs. Texas State must be awesome to be 34 points better than the Pokes. Next time Poly will not be allowed to wear their "home" pants!

Poly's Brutality
October 1st, 2010, 02:52 AM
Well, maybe we should have left the Cowboys out during the lightning delay to catch a jump start bolt in the derrierre, but it was over by then. Cal Poly was classy, well-coached and I enjoyed the way they play. Wish we would have given them a game.

I hope they keep it going and do well in the playoffs. Texas State must be awesome to be 34 points better than the Pokes. Next time Poly will not be allowed to wear their "home" pants!

Thank you for nice comments about the 'Stangs. Actually, the Texas State game the week before was a real wake-up call, players all felt really bad, that one hurt enough to be motivation for the next week. McNeese is a good team, you can tell, but had not had the same motivational loss so were not quite as intense. Let's hope CP motivation continues at Fresno State, and the loss to Poly is similar fertilizer for the Cowboys!....