PDA

View Full Version : Do you care which state your recruits come from?

grizband
January 31st, 2006, 12:54 PM
This discussion comes up all the time with Griz fans: Is it better to have mostly in-state talent, out of state talent, or just the best people who can help you win.

FlyBoy8
January 31st, 2006, 01:07 PM
D. All of the above

blukeys
January 31st, 2006, 01:11 PM
They can come from Outer Mongolia if they help us win.

Pard4Life
January 31st, 2006, 01:46 PM
In Lafayette's case, you might as well add 'another country'. Two of our best recent players came from Ontario Canada. The prolific passing QB Marko Glavic, 00-03, and DE Andrew Brown 02-06.

So no, I don't care at all. I does make me feel good to see some all-NJ players on the squad.. like Blake Costanzo.

ngineer
January 31st, 2006, 01:50 PM
We have them from all over now, although 40% are from the PA-NJ-NY-MD area. I do like to see some of the kids from the Lehigh Valley region play as it is interesting to see their continued develpment from high school.

Ivytalk
January 31st, 2006, 01:56 PM
Just win, bay-bee!!!! :nod: :nod:

bobcatfan06
January 31st, 2006, 02:05 PM
Most of ours are from Texas anyway (I-A transfers are usually from Texas originally) because there is a boatload of recruits to choose from. Basically, I don't care, as long as they want to be in San Marcos, and they help us win.

SunCoastBlueHen
January 31st, 2006, 02:11 PM
I would say that the ability to sign players from varied different geographical areas gives testament the recruiting prowess of the coaching staff. I imagine it takes a lot of work create and maintain recruiting networks outside of your immediate area.

DTSpider
January 31st, 2006, 02:37 PM
It's different for each school. If you have a lot of in-state talent, then you want to keep them at home. Having players from around the area helps build and maintain rivalries. It also is an easier sell to local fans who are not otherwise affiliated with your school. That being said, if the local talent isn't there, you better be able to go out-of-state and pick up kids who can play. Like all things in life, balance is key.

colgate13
January 31st, 2006, 02:38 PM
We do our home cooking whenever possible (3 recruits from an hour away already) but we hit the larger NY-NJ-PA-MA region hard and live in Florida for a few weeks a year. Seems to be working!

MarkCCU
January 31st, 2006, 02:45 PM
as long as they are productive and help us win...then that's all that matters

grizband
January 31st, 2006, 02:51 PM
The reason this was brought up, was because unless something changes by tomorrow, the Griz could end up with only one out of state recruit (not including transfers).

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 31st, 2006, 02:54 PM
While I'd like to say it doesn't matter, just get the best players available, I know that if it was possible then the more in-state kids the better. That would keep costs down as well as increase fan interest. For UNH, having a good number of players from Eastern Massachusetts also helps in that fan interest factor -- they're as close or closer than many areas of NH. But a look at our roster tells you that recruiting has a much broader base to be competitive.

slostang
January 31st, 2006, 03:16 PM
Cal Poly had only three out of state recruits on their roster last year, and two of them were transfers and I believe the third was a walk on. With the wealth of talent in California, I do not see this changing any time soon. I noticed that 10 of the 16 playoff teams had at least 1 California player on their roster.

As far as do I care where they come from, not in the least. If they can produce, they are welcome.

SunCoastBlueHen
January 31st, 2006, 03:23 PM
From the GoHens.net board, the home State breakdown of this year's verbal commits to UD are as follows:

PA - 6
NJ - 4
FL - 3
NY - 2
DE - 2
MD - 1

GrizFamily
January 31st, 2006, 03:24 PM
The reason this was brought up, was because unless something changes by tomorrow, the Griz could end up with only one out of state recruit (not including transfers).

My preference is to have Montana kids on the MONTANA roster. But realistically we take the best kids we can get and with our success we are able to get kids from all over the country but predominantly in the NorthWest. But for me I'm especially interested in the Montana kids and take the most pride in their accomplishments in the Maroon.

grizband
January 31st, 2006, 03:35 PM
My preference is to have Montana kids on the MONTANA roster. But realistically we take the best kids we can get and with our success we are able to get kids from all over the country but predominantly in the NorthWest. But for me I'm especially interested in the Montana kids and take the most pride in their accomplishments in the Maroon.
To me, once they put on the Maroon and Silver, and show their loyalty and commitment, they are all Montana boys.

CatFan22
January 31st, 2006, 04:21 PM
Over on Egriz, the 'doesn't matter' option is winning. But I find this interesting because everyday I hear UM fans pissing and moaning about how many Californians that MSU has. A bit hypocritical if you ask me.

grizband
January 31st, 2006, 04:40 PM
Over on Egriz, the 'doesn't matter' option is winning. But I find this interesting because everyday I hear UM fans pissing and moaning about how many Californians that MSU has. A bit hypocritical if you ask me.I agree. Some Griz fans seem to want some Californians, as long as we have less than MSU.

GrizFoo
January 31st, 2006, 04:47 PM
Over on Egriz, the 'doesn't matter' option is winning. But I find this interesting because everyday I hear UM fans pissing and moaning about how many Californians that MSU has. A bit hypocritical if you ask me.

It is kind of like MSU giving the Griz crap about schedules, they know the cats have had their share of DII games and DII losses, yet they still give Griz fans crap about it.
I saw a thread on bcat saying something about UM being a mercenary school...this coming from a bcat fan, come on.
So that explaines it, fans just like giving their rivals crap, even if their school is in the same boat.
Plus, it doesn't matter what fans want, it matters what coaches get. I don't care where our players come from, but am not above thowing some smack about MSU having more CA players than MT players.

putter
January 31st, 2006, 05:09 PM
Unless you are in a hotbed state, Texas, Florida, or Califorina teams have to recruit out of state. Having Montana kids on the rosters allows them to be more identifiable to the residents but you should look outside for the best talent.

Griz Grunt
January 31st, 2006, 05:16 PM
If were strictly talking state colleges and universities, then yes
http://people.montana.com/~rkdl/banging-hand-L.gif,
I want to see some of that state money spent on in state athletes!

Griz Grunt
January 31st, 2006, 05:18 PM
If were strictly talking state colleges and universities, then yes
http://people.montana.com/~rkdl/banging-hand-L.gif,
I want to see some of that state money spent on in state athletes!

FargoBison
January 31st, 2006, 05:29 PM
At NDSU our coach makes a strong effort at getting the best in-state players he can, in the offseason Coach Bohl visits every high school in the state. When the in-state recruits are gone then it is on to Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Nebraska, South Dakota, Texas, Florida, etc.

blackfordpu
January 31st, 2006, 07:40 PM
Don't care as long as they put points up on the board and W's in the W/L column.

mikebigg
January 31st, 2006, 08:11 PM
Grambling's football has recruited from all over...even as far as Israel. We maintain a strong base of Louisiana players but we also complement that with Texas, Mississippi, Arkansas, Georgia, Alabama and sometimes Fla.

Winning is key and if the best player comes from out of state, then I have no problem. They must enjoy the La. experience because a lot of them remain citizens of the state.

Sidenote: I think Grambling could improve our in-state recruiting by playing at least one Louisiana SLC school each year.

HiHiYikas
January 31st, 2006, 08:18 PM
It's nice to know there are in-state contributors (stars, even) on the team, but I don't mind that multiple outstanding Mountaineers originate outside NC.

We have a pretty good mix, actually. It looks like we recruit pretty solidly in SC, GA, and FL, too.

mainejeff
January 31st, 2006, 10:15 PM
Maine's known verbal commitment home state breakdowns on Signing Day Eve:

ME - 2
MA - 1
NJ - 2
PA - 1
MD - 1

Tod
January 31st, 2006, 10:44 PM
Grambling's football has recruited from all over...even as far as Israel. We maintain a strong base of Louisiana players but we also complement that with Texas, Mississippi, Arkansas, Georgia, Alabama and sometimes Fla.

Winning is key and if the best player comes from out of state, then I have no problem. They must enjoy the La. experience because a lot of them remain citizens of the state.

Sidenote: I think Grambling could improve our in-state recruiting by playing at least one Louisiana SLC school each year.

Israel? I'd like to hear that story. :nod: :nod:

FargoBison
February 1st, 2006, 01:36 AM
Here are NDSU's verbals so far this year by state.

ND-6(two Junior College)
WI-1
Ill-1
MN-4
SD-1
TX-2
CA-1

UNH 40
February 1st, 2006, 06:39 AM
There are hidden jems all over the country. A perfect example is UNH's David Ball, he is from the town of Orange, Vermont. I am also a Vermonter and know that Orange, Vermont is in the middle of nowhere. It doesn't matter where you are from it is whether or not you have the talent and the heart and determination to play at a high level.

Eaglegus2
February 1st, 2006, 08:53 AM
Unless you are in a hotbed state, Texas, Florida, or Califorina teams have to recruit out of state. Having Montana kids on the rosters allows them to be more identifiable to the residents but you should look outside for the best talent.

I do believe you left out the State of Georgia in your list. Check the number of colleges 7 universities that have Georgians listed on their rooster.

BTW, Georgia Southern had a player from Germany on scholarship.

th0m
February 1st, 2006, 08:57 AM
Here's how JMU's verbal list looks like per state:

VA: 16
NC: 1
KS: 1 (JuCo)
PA: 1
NJ: 2
GA: 1
MD: 1
MA: 1

So, pretty clear cut case.

carney2
February 1st, 2006, 10:26 AM
Back to the original question: Do I care where the recruits com from?

Yes. I do not find it a coincidence that the Lafayette football resurgence occurred after I started to notice Florida, Ohio, Ontario, etc., etc. as hometowns on the roster. It shows a renewed dedication and a willingness to "go where the talent is." It's nice to stay home as some have said, but you need a lot of quality bodies to field a I-AA football team.