PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown Hoyas are REAL - defeat defending Pat League Champs Holy Cross

98hoya
September 25th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Well folks, after an 0-11 season in 2009, the Hoyas are 3-1 (2-0 in Pat League) and just defeated defending Pat League champs Holy Cross, 17-7.

Let's see where the polsters put them this week. If there's any justice in this world, they'll be in the top 25.

Franks Tanks
September 25th, 2010, 03:58 PM
At least Lafayette fans feel a bit better as Holy Cross is just as bad as us!

But seriously good job by the Hoya's.

VUCats02
September 25th, 2010, 04:01 PM
If there's any justice in this world, they'll be in the top 25.

Congrats to Georgetown for the 3-1 start - but let's not get too carried away with the top 25 thing...

superman7515
September 25th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Good job G-Town!

JMUNJ08
September 25th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Well folks, after an 0-11 season in 2009, the Hoyas are 3-1 (2-0 in Pat League) and just defeated defending Pat League champs Holy Cross, 17-7.

Let's see where the polsters put them this week. If there's any justice in this world, they'll be in the top 25.

Congrats to Georgetown for the 3-1 start - but let's not get too carried away with the top 25 thing...

They will get a look from me but for the rest of the voters I think it comes down to how everyone's top 25 plays there games to see if they can sneek in.

tribe_pride
September 25th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Yeah congrats to Georgetown for taking a great step forward but top 25 is a little far fetched.

They beat an 0-2 Lafayette team and a 1-3 Davidson team while losing to an unranked Yale team. Once again, congrats. Hope Georgetown keeps winning

98hoya
September 25th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Tribe,

Yup, Davidson isn't a ranked opponent. But let's talk about G'town's other opponents: Lafayette was picked either 1 or 2 by every pre-season Pat League poll and we beat them AT Lafayette. Our loss stunk - we lost 40-35 on the last play to Yale at the Yale Bowl after throwing an INT on 3rd and goal and fumbling the ball into our own end zone for two of Yale's TDs. To additional perspective, Yale's starting QB is a transfer from Nebraska (BTW, Yale is now 2-0 having won again against any Ivy opponent today). Finally, today the Hoyas enter a game 10 point underdogs and take off defending Pat League champs Holy Cross (who has lost 2x....to Umass and Harvard - who are both legit top 25 teams).

ColgateTD
September 25th, 2010, 04:51 PM
See ya' next weekend at the KerrDome. It will be a long week of recovery for 'Gate after running into FBS member Syracuse.

bulldog10jw
September 25th, 2010, 04:51 PM
If it wasn't for those **** refs in New Haven they would be unbeaten.

Great job Hoyas. xthumbsupx

bulldog10jw
September 25th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Tribe,

we lost 40-35 on the last play to Yale at the Yale Bowl after throwing an INT on 3rd and goal and fumbling the ball into our own end zone for two of Yale's TDs. .

How does G-Town, throwing an INT on 3rd and goal count as a Yale TD. You could say it cost G-Town a "possible" TD, but Yale did not return that INT for a TD. They had to drive 80 yards. The fumble, yes, the INT, no.

blukeys
September 25th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I posted after the GU / Lafayette game about the resiliency of GU. GU also has some big play makers on offense and the coaches are not afraid to use them. After watching GU 2 weeks ago I believed they would make trouble for other PL teams. I probably will get the LC / Princeton game some time tomorrow morning. I gave up voting in the AGs this year because of time commitments especially on weekends but so far I have seen the last 2 LC games because they are replayed at a convenient time for me. I hope MASN does the same tomorrow.

98hoya
September 25th, 2010, 06:25 PM
How does G-Town, throwing an INT on 3rd and goal count as a Yale TD. You could say it cost G-Town a "possible" TD, but Yale did not return that INT for a TD. They had to drive 80 yards. The fumble, yes, the INT, no.

You're correct Bulldog - Darby threw an INT on 3rd and goal from the 5. A TD would have iced it. Even a FG would have been big. Instead, Yale drove and scored. So, yes, the effect was at least a 7 point, and more realistically a 10 or 14 point, swing. Add that to the fumble into our own end zone for a Yale TD, then you're talking about a 21 point swing off of freak turnovers.

Note that I did not originally mention that one of Yale's TDs came when they had 13 (not 12, 13!!!) men on the field. Rumor has it that the ref gave the Yale QB a Skull and Bones secret handshake after the coin flip. Not sure if that's true, but that'd be about the only way to explain it.

In any event, good luck Yale, I"ve got nothing against ya. Harvard looks tough this year, but I'll be pulling for the Elis.

Franks Tanks
September 25th, 2010, 06:32 PM
See ya' next weekend at the KerrDome. It will be a long week of recovery for 'Gate after running into FBS member Syracuse.

Colgate may be beat up after playing the Cuse, this will be a very interesting game next week.

Sader87
September 25th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Congrats Hoyas...well done. That being said, the Patriot League is a glorified NESCAC at this point...much closer to the better D3 football playing schools than the better FCS programs at this point. Sour grapes? Perhaps, but if the league doesn't vote for scholarships in December, I know a vast minority of HC football fans will essentially "throw in the towel" with regards to football being a serious endeavor at Holy Cross.

danefan
September 25th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Congrats Hoyas...well done. That being said, the Patriot League is a glorified NESCAC at this point...much closer to the better D3 football playing schools than the better FCS programs at this point. Sour grapes? Perhaps, but if the league doesn't vote for scholarships in December, I know a vast minority of HC football fans will essentially "throw in the towel" with regards to football being a serious endeavor at Holy Cross.

I think that's a little dramatic Sader, but I'm not surprised seeing as how that seems to be the tone of all of your PL related posts. First of all, the NESCAC is one of the worst DIII leagues in the country. Any of the NESCAC teams would get smoked by even the OK DIII teams (e.g. Cortland).

Do any PL teams deserve to be ranked? I don't think so. Not this week. There aren't any good victories for any PL teams, but they'll be fine.

BTW - I think the PL needs to add some form of scholarships. But its not the end of the world if they don't.

aceinthehole
September 25th, 2010, 08:29 PM

EXACTLY - Congrats to the Hoyas this is well deserved, but they haven't played a top-25 schedule, period.

Will we see Robert Morris in the polls?

Sader87
September 25th, 2010, 09:15 PM
No....the Patriot League was a failed experiment from the get go and it's only gotten worse. Colgate and Holy Cross football have been effectively destroyed by the Patriot League and its restrictions. Very sad.

bulldog10jw
September 25th, 2010, 09:23 PM
No....the Patriot League was a failed experiment from the get go and it's only gotten worse. Colgate and Holy Cross football have been effectively destroyed by the Patriot League and its restrictions. Very sad.

I never knew that the PL forced Holy Cross to join for the express purpose of destroying their football program.

I must have missed those threads the last three years. xscanx

ngineer
September 25th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Great job Georgetown...and I picked ya to win! Clearly a team that has now jelled and will be a force within the league this year. Whodathunkit? ****, I didn't get my tickets for the Georgetown game this year, as my wife got me to take her to the theatre that Saturday, being Lehigh was away....

breezy
September 25th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Congrats to the Hoyas.

The Georgetown resurgence has coincided with an inexplicable failure of Holy Cross to meet the challenge of defending its PL title. HC does not look anything like the cohesive team that was so successful last year, and I continue to believe that it cannot be explained merely by the graduation of Dom Randolph. For some reason, this HC team has simply not jelled both on offense and defense.

Nevertheless, Georgetown deserves kudos for rising to the challenge.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Sader87
September 25th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Georgetown leading the Patriot League speaks volumes for how bad the league is...

Bogus Megapardus
September 25th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Just back from the Princeton game and I saw this score. Many congrats to the Hoyas. Nicely done!

CFBfan
September 26th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Georgetown leading the Patriot League speaks volumes for how bad the league is...

87 I can't recall a single intelligent/relevant comment from you in......ever?? this one certainly included.
if you have watched any of the GU games (have you???) you'd see that they have VERY good skill players, play makers and game breakers and ply team football this year. It's all about new coaches and new schemes on both sides of the ball that make sense.
go swallow some more of your sour grapes

Bogus Megapardus
September 26th, 2010, 12:48 PM
87 I can't recall a single intelligent/relevant comment from you in......ever?? this one certainly included.
if you have watched any of the GU games (have you???) you'd see that they have VERY good skill players, play makers and game breakers and ply team football this year. It's all about new coaches and new schemes on both sides of the ball that make sense.
go swallow some more of your sour grapes

But where would we be without Sader87 and his contrarian views? I'm such a lap dog Patriot fan, for example - scholarships or not - it's a good thing Sader87 is available to make sure I don't walk around wearing horse blinders all the time. I don't always agree with him, but I'm glad he's here for me to disagree with.

ngineer
September 26th, 2010, 07:06 PM
But where would we be without Sader87 and his contrarian views? I'm such a lap dog Patriot fan, for example - scholarships or not - it's a good thing Sader87 is available to make sure I don't walk around wearing horse blinders all the time. I don't always agree with him, but I'm glad he's here for me to disagree with.

Very true, but he should bring along some good brie or gouda cheese with that whine....

Sader87
September 26th, 2010, 07:21 PM
The Patriot League sucks...if you can't see that it has hurt every school in it competitively football-wise, you're blind.

Bogus Megapardus
September 26th, 2010, 07:30 PM
The Patriot League sucks...if you can't see that it has hurt every school in it competitively football-wise, you're blind.

If you're saying that the Patriot League and its constituent institutions would be more competitive within FCS with scholarships and without an academic index, well, that's where you're right. I've never known anyone to disagree with that view, including the college presidents. It would also be more competitive with a big-time national television contract, seven figure coaching salaries and a twenty million dollar advertising budget.

Sader87
September 26th, 2010, 07:34 PM
If you're saying that the Patriot League and its constituent institutions would be more competitive within FCS with scholarships and without an academic index, well, that's where you're right. I've never known anyone to disagree with that view, including the college presidents. It would also be more competitive with a big-time national television contract, seven figure coaching salaries and a twenty million dollar advertising budget.

Blah. blah, blah...the PL has destroyed Colgate and Holy Cross football. It's been a boon to the Pennsylvania schools but it has absolutely gutted Colgate and HC football.

Bogus Megapardus
September 26th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Blah. blah, blah...the PL has destroyed Colgate and Holy Cross football. It's been a boon to the Pennsylvania schools but it has absolutely gutted Colgate and HC football.

So just leave, like Fordham did. They're doing real good now, I hear.

Go...gate
September 26th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Ah, Sunday night on the PL Thread. Always gives me a warm feeling.... ; )

Keenan
September 26th, 2010, 07:55 PM
A surprising result to say the least, especially considering how highly regarded Holy Cross came into the season. As far as Georgetown being ranked in the Top 25? They're not even close on my ballot FWIW.

Bogus Megapardus
September 26th, 2010, 08:10 PM
A surprising result to say the least, especially considering how highly regarded Holy Cross came into the season. As far as Georgetown being ranked in the Top 25? They're not even close on my ballot FWIW.

You have a ballot?

Keenan
September 26th, 2010, 08:14 PM
You have a ballot?

Yes.

TheValleyRaider
September 26th, 2010, 11:19 PM

xchinscratchx

A surprising result to say the least, especially considering how highly regarded Holy Cross came into the season.

HC was highly-regarded nationally, sure, but a big factor in their strong season was Randolph, who they clearly have not replaced. Was the team bigger than him? Sure, but I think preseason there was way too much downplaying over what his loss could mean to the Crusaders xtwocentsx

Twentysix
September 27th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Too bad NDSU and georgetown couldnt of worked out an OOC deal. That would of been a fun game especially since you guys are really good this year.

Squealofthepig
September 27th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Georgetown wasn't in my top 25, but they were close (28); rankings are a lot of guesswork currently, but Georgetown is earning some respect, and with success even with a tough opening road schedule, they definitely should be on everyone's watch list. Next weekend should be pretty dispositive - a win at Colgate and few should take Georgetown lightly.

OL FU
September 27th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Congrats, big turn around so far and one to make you proud. Good luck Hoyas.

jimbo65
September 27th, 2010, 06:28 AM
So just leave, like Fordham did. They're doing real good now, I hear.

The difference is we are going to improve w. the schollies. The PL will continue to sink unless the vote is positive in Dec. Also, I agree w. Sader that GTown being the league leader says it all about the competitiveness of the PL.

CFBfan
September 27th, 2010, 06:43 AM
The difference is we are going to improve w. the schollies. The PL will continue to sink unless the vote is positive in Dec. Also, I agree w. Sader that GTown being the league leader says it all about the competitiveness of the PL.

but Jimbo, FU is playing AWFUL football and almost ALL of your players are going for either free or a big financial aid discount!
Schollies for you just replaces aid packages
I would not hold FU out there as the model and reason for going schollie

Bogus Megapardus
September 27th, 2010, 06:56 AM
I certainly don't know anywhere near enough about FCS football overall to have a ballot and cast a vote on anything, but I doubt I'd put Georgetown in any top 25 either, even if they beat Colgate. I'd say there are about 6 or 7 people who post on this board regularly who display the kind of knowledge necessary to cast a vote. I couldn't guess how many people here, outside of the Patriot, actually have seen Georgetown play a game.

I assume that the people here who vote on this stuff really know all of the conferences inside out and do some analysis outside of simply looking at Sagarin and Massey numbers and the like, and don't simply vote for their favorite team and conference. With my very limited knowledge, I might put Brown in the top 25, but no one from the Patriot deserves anything over 40 at best. More like 60.

jimbo65
September 27th, 2010, 08:03 AM
but Jimbo, FU is playing AWFUL football and almost ALL of your players are going for either free or a big financial aid discount!
Schollies for you just replaces aid packages
I would not hold FU out there as the model and reason for going schollie
Fordham has @ 14 schollie players this year including a QB who I beleive is out for the season. I'm certainly not holding out this year's squad as an example of anything but with three or four years of schollarships the team will/should be vastly improved from where we are today. The PL teams need the schollies to get back to a competitive position with OOC opponents.

CFBfan
September 27th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Fordham has @ 14 schollie players this year including a QB who I beleive is out for the season. I'm certainly not holding out this year's squad as an example of anything but with three or four years of schollarships the team will/should be vastly improved from where we are today. The PL teams need the schollies to get back to a competitive position with OOC opponents.
Jimbo I understand what you are saying BUT, with 48 finabcial aid packages in previous seasons and 90% of your roster getting "financial" schollies is there really a big difference?? I am all for schollies but I'm not so sure they will be a difference maker for FU especially after a humiliating loss to DII Assumption???

Franks Tanks
September 27th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Jimbo I understand what you are saying BUT, with 48 finabcial aid packages in previous seasons and 90% of your roster getting "financial" schollies is there really a big difference?? I am all for schollies but I'm not so sure they will be a difference maker for FU especially after a humiliating loss to DII Assumption???

Well the arguement is that need based financial aid limits recruiting bceause the recruit must demontsrate enough financial need to recieve the dollars. Many PL teams currently support over 50 scholarships under the need based aid formula. The issue is the restrictions placed on recruiting by finding enough of the need based kids.

CFBfan
September 27th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Well the arguement is that need based financial aid limits recruiting bceause the recruit must demontsrate enough financial need to recieve the dollars. Many PL teams currently support over 50 scholarships under the need based aid formula. The issue is the restrictions placed on recruiting by finding enough of the need based kids.

with that in mind it would be very interesting to know what % of kids on other FCS teams, the "good teams and the not so good teams" (JMU, Nova, Richmond, UDel, etc) that are on scholarships WOULD qualify for Financial Aid? I don't know the answer but I bet that many if not most would and the bigger road block to the PL for them is the AI. Again, I do not know this I'm just speculating and if this is true FU has to drop their AI or at least lower it for any hope.

Franks Tanks
September 27th, 2010, 09:38 AM
with that in mind it would be very interesting to know what % of kids on other FCS teams, the "good teams and the not so good teams" (JMU, Nova, Richmond, UDel, etc) that are on scholarships WOULD qualify for Financial Aid? I don't know the answer but I bet that many if not most would and the bigger road block to the PL for them is the AI. Again, I do not know this I'm just speculating and if this is true FU has to drop their AI or at least lower it for any hope.

Interesting question, and the AI will always be there. Even with scholarships many recruits will still choose Richmond or Delaware over Colgate or Holy Cross, but at least we will have a level playing field from an aid standpoint.

The scholarship supporters also feel we would steal some recruits from the Ivies. Many or most of the Ivies offer very generous finanical aid, but the though is that we may be able to steal some high quality guys if we can offer a full ride.

The bottom line is that the mix of the AI and finding kids with need has created recruiting issues. I guess we all feel the scholarship issue is more likely to change than the AI.

CFBfan
September 27th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Interesting question, and the AI will always be there. Even with scholarships many recruits will still choose Richmond or Delaware over Colgate or Holy Cross, but at least we will have a level playing field from an aid standpoint.

The scholarship supporters also feel we would steal some recruits from the Ivies. Many or most of the Ivies offer very generous finanical aid, but the though is that we may be able to steal some high quality guys if we can offer a full ride.

The bottom line is that the mix of the AI and finding kids with need has created recruiting issues. I guess we all feel the scholarship issue is more likely to change than the AI.

and it could also be a "perception thing" for some kids and parents: I am or my kid is going to _______________(fill in the PL School) on financial aid as opposed to I am or my kid is going to _____________(fill in the same PL School) on a full football scholarship. Although there is no financial difference to the parent the perception would probably net a few more quality players ever year. IMO of course