PDA

View Full Version : 4 star prep commits to Sac State

Green Cookie Monster
January 30th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Guillory to sign with Sac State Wednesday'
Bethel star: 'They believe in me more than the other schools did'
By BRAD KVEDERIS, Times-Herald sports writer

Guillory: Times-Herald's Athlete of the Year for 2004-05 performance in football, track
The big schools came calling for Bobby Guillory Jr., but they all backed off at the wrong time.

So he won't become a Trojan at USC or a Duck at Oregon: Last week, Bethel High's star quarterback made a verbal commitment to stay local and play football for Sacramento State, he told the Times-Herald on Sunday.

For Guillory, whose blinding speed helped him to more than 2,100 rushing yards and 37 touchdowns on the ground - and a Times-Herald Athlete of the Year Award - over the past two seasons, the decision basically made itself when the bigger schools stopped calling him. Although his numbers and pure talent had Division I programs drooling, everyone but Sacramento State backed off from their offers when Guillory's initial SAT scores came back.

Even though his original scores were high enough to allow him to play, Guillory planned to complete an SAT prep course and take the test again, which he did over the weekend. But even though he told the big schools about his plan, he barely heard a word from them in the meantime.

"Basically, they just kind of vanished," Guillory said on Sunday. "It's like, I told all the schools that's what I was doing, and Sac State was the only one that stayed."

When his scores from the second go-around at the SAT come back, they'll probably be higher, but Guillory isn't going to change his mind after being slighted by the big football powerhouses. He'll officially sign with Sac State at the Bethel campus on Wednesday.

"My mind's made up - I'm not going to change my mind or anything now," he said. "If they stayed with me when I was down and low ... well, Sacramento State, I'll help build them up big and high. All the other schools said, 'He's not going to make it.' Sacramento State said, 'He's going to make it. He's going to pull through.' They believe in me more than the other schools did."

Another benefit of playing for the Hornets is that Guillory will have the chance to keep playing quarterback, whereas most of the bigger programs wanted to use

Advertisement
homes for sale

him as a tailback or even a defensive back. But coach Steve Mooshagian and his staff have designs on using him as a triple threat to beat defenses running, throwing or catching the ball.

"At Sac State, he wants me to play running back, but he also wants me to play quarterback," Guillory explained. "They want to put in an option this year, put in some wide receivers to run some screens and hook-and-ladders and stuff. ... He'll try to get me 15 carries a game, and most of the time have me at QB, and do a little bit of the option when I get my blocking schemes down."

But for a player who definitely has the speed, and possibly the other tools, that the pros might come looking for someday, won't going to a Division I-AA school make it harder to be noticed?

Again, Guillory isn't even worried about that, saying that Sac State's loyalty and the opportunity it will give him to succeed academically comes first - and if he's good enough to go pro someday, that will take care of itself.

"Not really," he said when asked if he was worried about a lack of exposure in Sacramento. "At first, I'm really going there for the school. In my mind, if I'm good enough to go pro, they'll come see me. It's not a matter of what school you go to or how big it is. Some of the players at the big schools don't even get recognized.

"It was like, everybody kept asking me where I'm going ... Sacramento State, on the other hand, was kind of nurturing me, saying, 'Don't worry about it, it's going to be OK; we're going to see where you go.' Basically, they got my trust."

- E-mail Brad Kvederis at [email protected] or call 553-6822.

This is why I-AA is a great game, there is still the personal touch to college football. If you love to play, go I-AA.

slostang
January 30th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Any bets on if he will make it all four years? If he does, it has to be one of the biggest signings in Sac State history. Only time will tell.

Green Cookie Monster
January 30th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Actually, John Gesek, Ricky Ray, Lonie Paxton, Charles Roberts, among other current NFL/CFL players, were the biggest signings in school history. Time will tell.

It will be nice to see what position he plays. A quick, multidimensional QB, ala Texas, could reck havoc in the dropback QB oriented Sky.

Also, watch for Dallas Mauga. This guy is fast and huge.

The Fan
January 30th, 2006, 11:40 PM

No doubt Guillory is a huge pickup for Moose. Is he certain to qualify? Even Idaho backed off and they are known for signing more guys than they can take just because they know a bunch of their guys won't qualify. Mauga is another academic gem, he was San Diego State's big signing after UCLA & Co. stopped recruiting him (for academic reasons) but failed to qualify for SDSU. None of these guys will redshirt, Moose needs to save his job.

Sac State Recruiting
2003: 40+ players (over 20 JUCO's & transfers)
2004: 30+ players (over 15 JUCO's and transfers)
2005: ??

DaGriz
January 31st, 2006, 08:58 AM
Actually, John Gesek, Ricky Ray, Lonie Paxton, Charles Roberts, among other current NFL/CFL players, were the biggest signings in school history. Time will tell.

It will be nice to see what position he plays. A quick, multidimensional QB, ala Texas, could reck havoc in the dropback QB oriented Sky.

Ricky Ray and Roberts ended up great but they weren't 4 star recruits coming in were they? This has to be the biggest signing for Sac St.

blueballs
January 31st, 2006, 09:30 AM
This story sounds a whole lot like the Daunte Culpepper story and how he wound up at UCF. he had slacked off (he is in no way dumb) his JR. year in HS and the big 3 and most of the BC$ schools backed off him. UCF was the only 1-A school who kept on top of him and tried to direct him into good tutoring.

He wound up acing his SR. year after all and when all the big boys came calling he spurned them for UCF because in his words "they believed in me when nobody else did." Of course he set every school passing record, and a couple of national ones too, and became an all-pro. He has donated back to the university in excess of $1,000,000 and got his degree.

touchdown
January 31st, 2006, 09:56 AM
sac state didnt even have a class so to speak in 2003,there 2004 class had only 8/25 transfers.
2005 class had 5/20transfers
2006 class looks like 8/24 transfers
Not sure were you got those figures, some counted were walk-ons!
For the record:
Paxton was not highly recruited, granted he has been a great NFL long-snapper, but was not a huge get as an OL.
Ray and Roberts were two of the big signees in the last 10 years.
the 2004 class with mole,shelton,webber,hurts and gamboa was a solid class, but this one on paper looks as good as any they have had in the last 10+ years.
without a doubt the new facilites are ehlping the recruiting

touchdown
January 31st, 2006, 02:23 PM
went back and looked at the signing date releases the last 3 years:
Here you go

High School (42) 60%
JC (22) 32%
4yr transfers (6) 8%

The Fan
January 31st, 2006, 10:29 PM
Couldn't find the whole 2005 class but here is '04:

18 high school seniors + another that was a late signing
15 transfers

http://hornetsports.com/sports/football/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=8278

Green Cookie Monster
February 1st, 2006, 08:06 AM
None of these guys will redshirt, Moose needs to save his job.

Why would you redshirt a JC transfer? That is the purpose of picking up JC transfers, to provide an immediate impact. Thanks for the brainiac response.

wannabegaucho
February 1st, 2006, 08:30 AM
Why would you redshirt a JC transfer? That is the purpose of picking up JC transfers, to provide an immediate impact. Thanks for the brainiac response.
Is 100% of your class JC transfers?

colgate13
February 1st, 2006, 08:34 AM
How low of an SAT are we talking here? ???

Is this kid even going to be eligible? I have trouble imagining that USC or Oregon backed off on someone just because of low SAT's. I think they thought he wouldn't be eligible to play.

Green Cookie Monster
February 1st, 2006, 10:15 AM
Is 100% of your class JC transfers?

Where did you get 100%, didn't you read the above posts?

Sacramento St. (21)
++FB/HB John Alanis - 6-0/225 - Phoenix, AZ (Glendale CC)
DL Andrew Blume - 6-2/260 - Sonora, CA (Sonora)
++QB Tim Brockwell - 6-3/240 - Flagstaff, AZ (Glendale CC)
LB/S Dorian Brown - 6-2/200 - Chino, CA (Don Lugo)
TE Jacob Castillo - 6-4/250 - San Diego, CA (El Camino)
++OL Francisco Cruz - 6-3/275 - Westlake, CA (Grossmont College)
DL Roman DeCastro - Colton, CA (Colton)
LB Joseph Folau - 6-1/225 - Sacramento, CA (Valley)
ATH/RB Bobby Guillory - 5-10/185 - Vallejo, CA (Bethel)
OL Brian Heath - 6-4/245 - Loomis, CA (Del Oro)
WR Craig King - 6-2/200 - San Francisco, CA (St. Ignatius)
++OL Kyle Leitzke - 6-1/290 - Vista, CA (Palomar College)
++TE Jerry Mareko - 6-1/265 - La Mesa, CA (Grossmont College)
++DT Dallas Mauga - 6-1/310 - Lemon Grove, CA (Grossmont College)
WR Ronald Richardson - Sacramento, CA (Grant)
+OL Matt Russell - 6-5/310 - Vacaville, CA (Missouri)
DL Bill Sherman - 6-2/285 - Loomis, CA (Del Oro)
LB Ryan Smith - 6-1/225 - Long Beach, CA (Long Beach Poly)
++OL Kyle Tashler - 6-3/285 - Napa, CA (Solano CC)
OL Jake Verburg - 6-5/265 - Easton, CA (Washington Union)
LB Geoff Warner - 6-0/205 - Clovis, CA (Clovis)

7 out of 21

I believe Guillory had a 970 SAT and overall GPA of 2.3. He retook the SAT a few weeks ago.

colgate13
February 1st, 2006, 10:54 AM
I believe Guillory had a 970 SAT and overall GPA of 2.3. He retook the SAT a few weeks ago.

Someone else correct me if wrong, but don't you need a 2.0 in 'core' courses (throw out those gym class 'a's) and a 1010 SAT to be eligible? If I'm right, that could be the problem... He might be sitting a year at Sac. St, and then you have to worry about him staying eligible.

The Fan
February 1st, 2006, 11:15 AM
CM,

The comment was directed at your entire recruiting class, not just the transfers. As long as Moose plays his freshman, he has the built in excuse of a "young team".

Colgate13 is correct. Sac goes by the minimum qualifications unlike schools like Colgate that require their athletes to be students.

Green Cookie Monster
February 1st, 2006, 12:09 PM
CM,

The comment was directed at your entire recruiting class, not just the transfers. As long as Moose plays his freshman, he has the built in excuse of a "young team".

Colgate13 is correct. Sac goes by the minimum qualifications unlike schools like Colgate that require their athletes to be students.

He either has a winning record this year or he is out. Time is ripe for no more excuses. How do you know what the qualifications for admission to Sac State as a student-athlete? You are a Davis fan.

I am sure Colgate, a private, has higher admissions standards.

colgate13
February 1st, 2006, 12:33 PM
I am sure Colgate, a private, has higher admissions standards.

Whoa - didn't mean to get into that kind of debate.

I'm just wondering if he will even be able to play, and stating that it looks like a reason why USC or Oregon would back out. They have enough recruits who can play NOW that they don't need to take a chance.