PDA

View Full Version : Furman v. The Citadel Thread

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2010, 01:18 PM
Thought I would get this started.

"The Paladins and Bulldogs first clashed in 1913 and since 1919 have battled every year with the exception of a three-year stretch from 1943-45 when the two gridiron foes suspended football and closed ranks with the rest of the country and allies to take on Hitler, Mussolini, and Hirohito."

Furman will have a "white out" of Paladin Stadium. Apparently all but a handful of tickets are left for the homeside. Additionally, the Southern Fried Football tour will be making a stop in Greenville for the first time ever. It also seems to be confirmed that all, or at least a substantial portion, of the Corps of Cadets will make the trip to Greenville. Looks like it is going to be a real electric atmosphere this Saturday between these two hated rivals.

Furman fans are getting geared up about this team. The Citadel gave us an embarrassing loss last year in Charleston. Hopefully it is time to return the favor.

AndrewFU21
September 24th, 2010, 10:44 AM
The "White-Out" game last year didn't turn out so well, partially because of the rain. Hopefully this year will be better. Anything beats the "seersucker out" that is our student section most weeks.

As far as the game goes, this is a game FU has got to have in the bag if there are going to be playoffs this year. The bellhops derailed our season last year, and we can't let that happen. Normally we take Citadel at home, and from what I've seen from both teams I feel pretty good about this one.

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2010, 10:48 AM
The "White-Out" game last year didn't turn out so well, partially because of the rain. Hopefully this year will be better. Anything beats the "seersucker out" that is our student section most weeks.

As far as the game goes, this is a game FU has got to have in the bag if there are going to be playoffs this year. The bellhops derailed our season last year, and we can't let that happen. Normally we take Citadel at home, and from what I've seen from both teams I feel pretty good about this one.

Furman genearlly handles El Cid in Greenville and struggles in Charleston. Anything less than a three touchdown victory will dissapoint me.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Furman up 10-0 at the half. Cody Worley can't seem to find the accuracy button as appears to be missing open receivers.

Good news for Furman and the new look SoCon is the Paladins have been gobbling up El Cid's triple option.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 25th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Good news for Furman and the new look SoCon is the Paladins have been gobbling up El Cid's triple option.

Of course El Cid's QB isn't as good as GSU's or Wofford's QB.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Of course El Cid's QB isn't as good as GSU's or Wofford's QB.

Lamb has schemed this offense well his entire career. Furman's defense is far better than it was last year. Not saying it is guaranteed Furman playing well against Wofford or GSU, but the Dogs are running the same offense right into a wall.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Jerry Williams runs it in.

17-0 Furman in 3rd.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2010, 02:50 PM
The Citadel's got a pretty decent defense.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Cit gets on the board. 17-7.

I'll hand it to the bulldogs. I didn't think they were going to keep us out of the endzone. They've suprised me.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Cid recovers onside kick.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2010, 03:12 PM
max lerner picks off the pass. Furman at Cid 49

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Worley finds McFadden.

24-7 Paladins.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2010, 03:26 PM
The Citadel in. 24-14

furpal87
September 25th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Furman recovers onsides kick 4:47 left up 10.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Worley runs it in. 31-14

furpal87
September 25th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Furman wins 31-14.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Good to know we can win when not playing our best.

AndrewFU21
September 25th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Good win. The stats make the game seem closer than it really was, because once it was 17-0 Lamb went to the usual "run out the clock" gameplan. The offense definitely struggled, though, and Worley had trouble finding open receivers all day(even his TD pass to McFadden was underthrown). Mike Brown had a good day running the ball and the offense did enough to put points on the board.

The Furman defense, which was on the field a lot today, was excellent. Specifically I think we've got a real good one in DE Josh Lynn... it seemed like he single-handedly busted up a number of option plays.

At the end of the day it wasn't an outstanding performance, but FU goes to sleep with a 1-0 conference record tonight, so I'll take it.

appfan2008
September 25th, 2010, 07:25 PM
nice win furman... may want to work on the onside kick coverage ;)

SCPALADIN
September 25th, 2010, 07:53 PM
nice win furman... may want to work on the onside kick coverage ;)

That particular onside kick surprised everyone in the stadium (except for their players and coaches). They lined up in a traditional kickoff formation and squibed it...there wasn't a Furman player anywhere near the ball until it was too late.

They lined up for an onside kick later in the quarter and we smothered it.

insideout08
September 25th, 2010, 08:10 PM
That particular onside kick surprised everyone in the stadium (except for their players and coaches). They lined up in a traditional kickoff formation and squibed it...there wasn't a Furman player anywhere near the ball until it was too late.

They lined up for an onside kick later in the quarter and we smothered it.

I disagree. EVERYONE within five rows of me mentioned to watch out for the onside kick there because it was the perfect time for it. That's one instance in which we were very ill-prepared. I couldn't believe we weren't ready for that.

The stats for the game are very misleading in the sense that the game was never in doubt after Furman went up 17-0 early in the third quarter. It's a good feeling to have a defense that makes a 17-point lead seem comfortable again.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2010, 08:52 PM
That was a Furman win circa 2004 and 2005. Game never in doubt. Defense stifiling.

Let's put it this way, onsides or not, we need to be prepared for it. Teams will see this film and see that our kick guys weren't ready. I'd be suprised if someone doesn't pull it on us again.