PDA

View Full Version : Student Fees Boost College Sports

TexasTerror
September 22nd, 2010, 03:59 PM
We're seeing how students fees are essentially bank-rolling TXST and UTSA into FBS classification, show it goes to show you the major role they play in collegiate athletics..

I've been surprised looking at different numbers how some states, schools really do not depend on the student athletic fee - while this article mentions Radford specifically. Can you believe how much they charge? Will need to check when I get a chance how much their budget relies on student fees...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2010-09-21-student-fees-boost-college-sports_N

Sec310
September 22nd, 2010, 04:35 PM
Link doesn't work

TexasTerror
September 22nd, 2010, 08:23 PM
Sorry - cut off the very end...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2010-09-21-student-fees-boost-college-sports_N.htm

Aho_Old_Guy
September 24th, 2010, 12:27 PM
IIRC, student fees at UNCC will rise $320 as the 49ers kick off their football quest.

That is greater than my tuition cost per semester for 15 credit hours back in the Old Guy's time, and indirectly (through student loans) makes the federal gub'mint the principle financier of football programs managed in this fashion.

bruceF
September 11th, 2012, 04:21 AM
What people don't understand is that, yes, big time college football or basketball gets the $. But they also bring in the alumni to contribute to them AND to other programs as well. They get people on the campuses and help bring overall notice to the college/university.

To put it bluntly, colleges without sports, of any kind, are pretty dull places.

WileECoyote06
September 11th, 2012, 06:40 AM
IIRC, student fees at UNCC will rise $320 as the 49ers kick off their football quest.

That is greater than my tuition cost per semester for 15 credit hours back in the Old Guy's time, and indirectly (through student loans) makes the federal gub'mint the principle financier of football programs managed in this fashion.

Yet the BOG voted against WSSU getting that same type of raise in their athletic fees. xbangx That was bullspit.

North Carolina's public universities have athletic fees that pale in comparison to those in neighboring Virginia and other states. It makes the success of Appalachian State at the FCS level even more amazing.

MplsBison
September 11th, 2012, 07:05 AM
As long as the students get a vote on it, sounds just fine to me.

I'd much rather a special fee than taking money right from the main fund (tuition).